It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small calliber long range shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bastardo
reply to post by angryamerican

You must be bragging. A .22lr drops about 475 inches at 500 yards. You can´t compensate for all this with your scope, so you would have a hold over of several yards. Not buying it, apart from the impossible hold over there is so much deviation at that distance that you´re not hittin a squirrels eye, you´re not even hittin a squirrel, you´re not even hittin a family of squirrels all piled up and lined up next to one and other.

I call BS. a trained sniper couldn´t even do that with a caliber and a rifle that was designed to make long range shots, edit, hitting a squirrel in the eye at that distance, I mean.

edit on 28-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

I'm with ya, this guy has read some old stories when thing couldnt be proved or something.
But lets just say, you poked a jacketed 55grn into a magnum you have all kinds of pressure problems then you need twist adjusted for the weight of the projectile. you brought up drop with that is time of flight wind issues and heat pockets and vortexes all in a squirrels eye at 550....185yrds through brush....shooting through brush is a myth to start with impossible with a 40grn projectile

I say this who ever should bring in some data to support such claims
I always say "doers never talk and talkers never do"

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

Originally posted by angryamerican
I have no experience on what you ask so O cant comment. nut taking your trusted 22lr or 17 hmr out to a range for practice is not only good its good fun for the whole family.

Killing animals for fun is totally wrong , we should only kill what we eat . Killing a pest on your property is one thing but shooting Gods creations for fun I can gauretee you God has an issue with.

tell that to ranchers who are shooting cattle with broken legs stepping into holes on the range

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
you guys are under estimating the .22lr. There are plenty vidoes online of 400 yard plus shots. It can be done, but at a squirrel?

Just to brag myself though, I just this weekend rang a 8 inch plate at 120 yards with my xdm 9mm. Best shot of my 25 year life.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by molonlabe

i would never underestimate the .22 lr. I know the 400 yard shot video on yt. The guy is on a mountain and is hitting, and missing a 24´´ by 24`` steel plate.

I said the drop was 475 inch at 500 yards, I didn´t say the bullet wouldn´t get there, it was the hitting a squirrel in the eye comment that was the problem.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by molonlabe
you guys are under estimating the .22lr. There are plenty vidoes online of 400 yard plus shots. It can be done, but at a squirrel?

Just to brag myself though, I just this weekend rang a 8 inch plate at 120 yards with my xdm 9mm. Best shot of my 25 year life.

You can get a 22 out there, but there is no point in it. I don't think we underestimated so much as we understand it. A brush shot on a 22 would mean something to the extent of passing through a gap in some leaves. Heck even a leaf at 500 is going to devastate a 22. Someone sneezing at 225Y is going to devastate a 22. For repeatable benchable results standard increments are 25, 50, 100 in competitive scenarios. 200Y is really max effective range. Shooting anything greater will not teach you a thing, you'll be better off getting on centerfire or 17HMR.

I always put up a few clays on the 100Y berm for the 1911 before I leave the range

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
But i do have to say that if the OP was on an elevated position, he could´ve hit a squirrel in the eye at one time his life, but that would have been luck for the biggest part.

OP, sorry for calling you a pathological liar, that was a bit harsh, there´s no harm done in a little bragging I guess.

I am just not buying that you are shooting less than1 inch groups at 550.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Agreed

I have nothing to add to that.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

If this guy was in the US military shooter anytime in the last 15yrs he should have answered your question with the "Paq 4" strictly night vision and close quarters laser device ....lasers dont bullet drop compensate so its Kentucky style
edit on 28-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Thank you for bringing this thread back into reality. I love my 10/22 but I know its limits and my limits. No match barrel and no match trigger. A box of stingers, cheap 4x scope, 100 yards and 1-2 inch groups. I can live with that in a practical world.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Guys guys!!
Give the man a break, he has shaky hands and must have hit one too many kkeys.
The typo reads 550 and should have been 50 yards.
But yeah, like earlier mentioned about a 55 grain projectile, inconcievable with a 40 grain.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

call BS all you want it makes you look foolish I do it all the time.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Look man you make many references in your OP but they dont pan out....I am not trolling you but there are a few here in the forum that know about ballistics have charts...
I mean, you fit into this category

" Man my buddy and I were shooting across a canyon and I have an Ot6 and he has a 338mag and when I shoot you can eat a ham sandwich and drink a coke before the bullet gets there and the 338 is right there so much faster." see at all sounds like a good story until you break out the ballistics table and see that the 338 shooting a 230gn bullet has about the same speed as a 30-06 shooting a 150gr bullet and absolutely not noticed by the eye.

See what I am saying about story time?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

There are no 55gr 22LR to my knowledge. the highest grain is 60 on SSS aguilas, but he wouldn't hit anything that far without a barrel rifled for them. Standard 40gr is all he could have been referring to.

I need to get me another 10/22 in a standard configuration but I want a 1980's model from the good ol' days of all metal. Arguably one of the best firearms ever mass manufactured.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here is a vid of 22lr shot at a 5" roast with 8 layers of denim at 300 yards with full penetration

and here is one of a guy taking 500yd shots and claims to be getting 8 ot of 10 on target.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

So your not even making a case for yourself, explaining us how you solved the issues with bullet drop, scop wise, if you were shooting from an elevation, and how you worked around all the other factors that come into play that have been pointed out by people here in this thread.

It is physically impossible to make shots that are consistent enough at that distance with a .22, and all you have to corroborate your STORY with is WELL IM TELLIN YA.

That says enough.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

300 yards is almost half the distance, and the further you go your shots get exponentially more inconsistent. The guy with the 500 yard target is shooting what looks like a huge target and missing some.

Once again, noone is disputing that you can hit a 4 foot target from 500. just not a target that is about the same diameter as the bullet itself.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

on the btm vid was anybody seeing dust sig. way left. and we never see target inspection//// I think these were very good examples of how impossible the squirrels eye ball would be at 550yd

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I'm just adding some info on the subject not commenting on how true the OP is.

Someone posted that 200 yards is max but I think the first vid proves that it's still deadly past that range.

In the second vid the guy is using a scope and shooting 500 yards so there has to be a way to do it. It says in a related vid that it is a 30" target and he is using a kids rifle.
edit on 28-2-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

the zoom off target on second video,,,you think that target was about 4feet in diameter?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican

call BS all you want it makes you look foolish I do it all the time.

Please stop making me cry in laughter. .22lr at 550 yards….. Bawwhahahahhaa. I would love to see that!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join