It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small calliber long range shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
A lot of people are abrade of the long range shot. I use a 10/22 LR with a full metal jacket and have been known to put a squires eye out at 550 yards or 183.3 enters of heavy brush.

I tell you this not as bragging a lot of folks with the scope and training can do the shot. scope easy to get training harder but not impossible with the right mind set.

I paid $60.05 for my scope at walmart it goes from 3 to 16 power on one end and has palex adjustment on the other. Even before I joined the military I was a crack shot had to be. and that is how you do it. When season is in on small game practice the further the better but make sure you can make the shot start out at close range and work your way up and pretty soon you will be the envy of any military sniper around. I am open to questions now and please ask the more I answer the more my mind stays off my own problems

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

How do you feel about paper target shooting? Is it as worthwhile as shooting small game? On television I see laser targeting on pistols, is it used on rifles? Does it help?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I have no experience on what you ask so O cant comment. nut taking your trusted 22lr or 17 hmr out to a range for practice is not only good its good fun for the whole family.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I love adjusting for wind and range and absolutly love it when im a little unsure if i have over compensated only to land a perfect shot - makes me smile.

Its like getting a strike at the bowling alley with a HUGE curve on it lol

Small game and pest shooting is far more rewarding and im sure gives better, wider expereince than paper target shooting.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Another dumb question, if you don't mind. I don't currently have a rifle. Are all modern rifles roughly equally good, or do you have to spend a ton to get a decent one?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

You must be bragging. A .22lr drops about 475 inches at 500 yards. You can´t compensate for all this with your scope, so you would have a hold over of several yards. Not buying it, apart from the impossible hold over there is so much deviation at that distance that you´re not hittin a squirrels eye, you´re not even hittin a squirrel, you´re not even hittin a family of squirrels all piled up and lined up next to one and other.

I call BS. a trained sniper couldn´t even do that with a caliber and a rifle that was designed to make long range shots, edit, hitting a squirrel in the eye at that distance, I mean.

edit on 28-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
A lot of people are abrade of the long range shot. I use a 10/22 LR with a full metal jacket and have been known to put a squires eye out at 550 yards or 183.3 enters of heavy brush.

I tell you this not as bragging a lot of folks with the scope and training can do the shot. scope easy to get training harder but not impossible with the right mind set.

Every experienced shooter knows that the "squires (sic) eye" at 550(?) yards statement is an exaggeraton as is the further words that "heavy brush" seems to not to effect a .22 bullet's intended path.

Please don't insult our intelligence further. You've said more than enough in those first few lines.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I f you are not a professional sniper or contest shooter, any standard rifle would probably be more than efficient enough for you, and for some you can get better barrels for it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I call BS. I am an avid target benchrest and competition shooter with close to 1k into my 10/22. What ammo are you using, what is the grade, scope, wind, humidity? The ballistics of a 22LR would give a squirrel a really bad headache at that distance, you'd also be shooting down a mountain in order to make the shot. It is not ethical, practical, or sensible. If you want long range low caliber distance you need to be on .17HMR in a rim.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I don't know what a squires eye is, did you mean squirrel?

If so I need you and that guy that shoots through through feet of solid oak to come give me some learning on how to shoot better. A squirrels eye at 500 yards with a .22 is exceptional shooting!

Using a ballistics calculator it shows that at 400 yards the bullet drops about 49 feet so 500 yards would be even more. You would have to aim probably 60 feet above the target and no scopes I know of even have that much adjustment for drop.
You guys must be extremely exceptional shots!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You can comp out 60 ft drop but at 500 it takes more than click adjustments. For this shot you'd have to have the entire universe aligned. Luck doesn't even come into play. And a heck of an expensive scope and mounting system. The person who can comp wind 550 down on a 22 would be a world famous trick shooter. This is possibly the only time a 22 made me think about humidity. How could you even get the squirrel to stand still that long haha.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

You can? I think its physically impossible to compensate that much drop with any rifle scope, even if you can tilt the scope on its mount, it would be in such an angle that you would be looking at the barrel.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I am open to questions now and please ask the more I answer the more my mind stays off my own problems

Yep, that´s what pathological liars do.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Considering I'm using tall scope mounts.....a 50mm objective...and with standard velocity 22 rounds 225 yds is the bottom of the view..meaning the target is placed at the very very bottom of my scopes field of view.
I call BS on the 500 yds!
Now 1 1/2- 2 " groups @ 150 yds, I'll buy that, evan hitting a beer can/squirell @ 200yds...but 500, thats over a quarter mile, and close to 500 inchs of bullet drop, almost like fireing a mortar, or punt gun at that range!!!

Thats 45 and 1/2 feet of drop, not counting windage, not to mention your bullet only started out around 1100 FPS
edit on 28-2-2012 by Doc Holiday because: OCD blank box thing

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Lol, firing a mortar also came to my mind.

to add, I don´t think your extra tall scope mounts are actually helping your long range compensation, the higher the scope is on the rifle the less low you can go with your crosshairs, correct me if I´m wrong.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

Something along the lines of a fixed power between 12 and 21 or so, canted mounts or mechanical bdc system. You'd have to get creative with a mech bdc system tricking it into thinking another caliber is used. you can follow off scope if there is an adequate marker for you to align with, but that is a stationary target trick.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

He needs the extra tall for clearance on that big obj. staying closer to bore axis helps your shot but big obj's need tall rings on most rifles.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
I have no experience on what you ask so O cant comment. nut taking your trusted 22lr or 17 hmr out to a range for practice is not only good its good fun for the whole family.

Killing animals for fun is totally wrong , we should only kill what we eat . Killing a pest on your property is one thing but shooting Gods creations for fun I can gauretee you God has an issue with.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

He was talking about shooting paper targets at the range. no animals were harmed.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mretgis

He needs the extra tall for clearance on that big obj. staying closer to bore axis helps your shot but big obj's need tall rings on most rifles.

I know, but I thought he implied that the high mounts were beneficial to how low the crosshairs go.

Anyways, you´re right about the canted mounts, that would kinda work I guess, thanks, learned something.

As pointed out, it would look like firing a mortar lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join