It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small calliber long range shooting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

It's what is posted in another of the guys videos shooting at what seems to be the same target.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I think you meant to respond to me. I really have no idea, I just said 4 feet randomly. It looked huge though once he zoomed out.

ah,never mind.
edit on 28-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
A lot of people are abrade of the long range shot. I use a 10/22 LR with a full metal jacket and have been known to put a squires eye out at 550 yards or 183.3 enters of heavy brush.

I tell you this not as bragging a lot of folks with the scope and training can do the shot. scope easy to get training harder but not impossible with the right mind set.

I paid $60.05 for my scope at walmart it goes from 3 to 16 power on one end and has palex adjustment on the other. Even before I joined the military I was a crack shot had to be. and that is how you do it. When season is in on small game practice the further the better but make sure you can make the shot start out at close range and work your way up and pretty soon you will be the envy of any military sniper around. I am open to questions now and please ask the more I answer the more my mind stays off my own problems

Why would you waste a bullet out to 550 yards?? I can spit and kill a squire out to 700 yards.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastardo

I think you meant to respond to me. I really have no idea, I just said 4 feet randomly. It looked huge though once he zoomed out.

ah,never mind.
edit on 28-2-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

I missed your 4' reference I was just guessing....humf not a bad guess

had to laugh and did star this guy

Why would you waste a bullet out to 550 yards?? I can spit and kill a squire out to 700 yards.

and YEP we can hoax this OP...ya think?
edit on 28-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Ive been on here for years posted tons of post all were factual So is this on believe it or not if not don't read it plain simple just quit being pricks to those coming to learn and I am in fact a trained sniper.
To the newbies keep practicing at long range and tell your stories the longest snyperper kill in the world the guy had to raise his muzzle 65 feet to do it. It can and is done. don't let those pricks tell you it cant be done because they don't have the skill to do it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

just one more time for clarity and I will let it go.

you can shoot a 3/8in target at 550 yards with a 40gr .22lr out of a Ruger 10/22
these are the facts you stick by
only asking so I know I have not cornfused the issue

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
if you are a real man you can catch them with your bare hands

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You should contact ruger. If you can make that shot with their rifle, I'm sure that they would be interested in making an endorsement deal. If you can make that shot repeatedly, you can name your own price.

But now I suppose that you will tell us that you have no interest in monetary gains.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Ive been on here for years posted tons of post all were factual So is this on believe it or not if not don't read it plain simple just quit being pricks to those coming to learn and I am in fact a trained sniper.
To the newbies keep practicing at long range and tell your stories the longest snyperper kill in the world the guy had to raise his muzzle 65 feet to do it. It can and is done. don't let those pricks tell you it cant be done because they don't have the skill to do it.

If you had a mil grade scope maybe but a wal-mart special is not going to be able to even come close to adjusting for your target let alone see a squirrel's eye at 500 yards. If your looking through the scope you cant even see the squirrel at that range and even think about hitting it. Carlos Hathcok wouldn't try it with your scope.

I learned how to shoot with a 22 when I was six years old, an old Winchester pump action. While the 22 is fun to play with, its the last thing you want to have for hunting anything but Squirrel's and rabbits let alone try to defend yourself with it. Trying a shot like that would just wound the critter and that's not humane.

I also have a 30.06 with a very nice Burris scope. 500 yards with that is a nice shot but I would not want to shoot over that unless I was shooting for defense or fun, not at an animal.

I bet you have a BSA scope that would only stand up to a 22 but I know a guy who wanted to try one on a 300 Weatherby Mag. Every shot knocked the scope out of adjustment.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

I buy everything you say but this

While the 22 is fun to play with, its the last thing you want to have for hunting anything but Squirrel's and rabbits let alone try to defend yourself with it. Trying a shot like that would just wound the critter and that's not humane.

the .22Lr has killed more Deer than any other weapon in the united states. All of which is shot after dark. Scroll up and look at the top video its really interesting and I wouldn't think so but your looking at the work of solid points
check out the video!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Shoot a Remington 22-250 if you have the opportunity.
It certainly re-defines "small caliber, long range"
I don't hunt but target shoot.
This rifle (a model 700), with a good scope is probably one of the most accurate you will every shoot.
I go up into northern Canada and we shoot at bleach bottles set with weights in open water. Much safer.
This gun has such a flat range, it is scary. The muzzle velocity is +4000fps, and the small little bullet hardly drops at all over 500 ft. Only high winds even effect this bullet.
I don't like it in the local forest because of the range, so over ocean is a much safer place.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

how does that compare to a .220 swift?
which is pretty much an .06 necked down isn"t it
.220 swift vs 22-250rem

didnt know about the .224 guess I have been under a rock

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by charlyv

how does that compare to a .220 swift?
which is pretty much an .06 necked down isn"t it
.220 swift vs 22-250rem

didnt know about the .224 guess I have been under a rock

I do not know, never had the opportunity to try one. Seems to be in the same league, and some think it is a better platform. I will try it if I ever get the chance. Thanks .

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Wait what, that sniper held over 65 feet and then freehanded the shot, without being able to aim through his scope, and killed two guys at over 1.5 miles?

And you expect people to take you seriously?

Please tell me, how do you aim at the squirrel, since your scope can´t compensate for the drop?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Correct, I was referring to 55 grain 223 or 5.56 (22 cal of sorts....kinda...)
Or 40 grain 22 lr.
But yeah in my humble opinion the Ruger 10-22 is the finest mass produced 22 ever, and among the best rifles overall.
Out of the box it is dependable and accurate, and if ya want, there are a meeeeeelllion aftermarket parts for them.
Now if I could just find about a 22 inch barrel for mine....
My dad has got an old Rem 550 that is whisper quiet with ceebee's, clunk tink clunk tink is all you hear.

If I could get a long barrel I imagine I could do the same, well with some hand feeding anyway.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

a 28" barrel
self suppressors behind the muzzle. I shoot powderless colibris indoors on rainy days with my heavy barrel. Sounds like a bb gun going off. Ballistics are appalling but it is fun, and they're good enough for frogs and turtles at the ponds.

22-250 is awesome. 22 for deer? We don't hunt at night here... Oh wait...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastardo

Wait what, that sniper held over 65 feet and then freehanded the shot, without being able to aim through his scope, and killed two guys at over 1.5 miles?

And you expect people to take you seriously?

Please tell me, how do you aim at the squirrel, since your scope can´t compensate for the drop?

1.5 miles heck the earth would have moved what 45 ft during flight ( just a guess)???

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

It is the official story though, but many people are wondering if it is propaganda. but the 65 feet hold over in itself is nonsense. How they did it, I don´t know.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

Stationary markers with a known distance. Depending on whats in the FOV downrange you can come off target by using an alternate aiming point comping out the drop. A world class shooter could do it, not with ease though. I'm not sure that a high value target would be dispatched in such a way, the error margin would have to very slim to make the shot or the target might not be a target again for a long time. I've grouped inside a foot at 1050m and that wouldn't even be on target at 1.5 miles, the grouping would barely cover a large tire without even considering extra spin drift and environmental factors. I sure would love to have the shooting lane to try the shot though!

edit on 2012229 by mretgis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

how far is 183.3 enters ?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join