It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks begins publishing 5 million emails from STRATFOR

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

That is absolutely amazing! Holy #.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
this one is interesting about the look of the company from the outside looking in....the mystique.
Email-ID

worrying about the Mystique of their info gathering

One other thing -- from a branding perspective if we're serious about
Quality, Status and Mystique I think showing too much of our inner
workings devalues our Mystique. People don't know how we collect our
intelligence and that's one of the cool, mysterious things about STRATFOR.
Seeing raw intelligence come in would be cool for a few weeks but then it
would become another expected product and we lose our mystique a little on
source collection.

is them trying to look like they are actually source their material in a true inteligence gathering way.

read the email as it does give an insight into the companies thinking.

just by the fact of how they got hacked ....it shows how they were concerned about image and shows how much of a haphazard intelligence gathering company they are and also IMO if i was paying for info from these amateurs i would demand my money back.

edit on 022929p://f46Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by plube
i personally am not saying they are not important and yes they have relevance....but they are only relevant if they are used sensibly and in the context of the posting....now ask yourselves if these were your emails...say to the mistress you had been thinking about sleeping with but never really did....but the public got hold of it and twisted it into what was not really the case would you say that would be fair game.

I have been reading mega on them and yes some of this info will be bought and sold....and used against people.....but if it is twisted then it becomes worthless information does it not.

a bit like all the WMD in Iraq.......nuff said right.
edit on 022929p://f08Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

That is a 'what if '' Plube. The fact is That Stratfor itself is accessing someone else's e-mails. The immmorality of Anon, and in turn Wikileaks doing the same is cancelled out, full stop. The playing field must be equal.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Welllllll... The thing is they obv have very real sources and then they also have sources they develop for a purpose... A client asks for something so they get it... Sometimes they apparently just lie.

It's the same with all of these guys... They see a lot of hidden truth and the process of making it valuable to someone they often add a lot of BS.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

once again thepoint is being missed i am not speaking english here i guess.....I am saying so what if they got hacked...and so what if they hack themselves....what is important is now that the info is in the public domain....do not mis interpret the content of the material....is that so hard to understand.

take it ...disect it.....analyse it till the cows come home...but keep the context in mind...and keep in mind the sources of where the info came from and whom the info was sent to and also the intention of what the email was ment to represent.....not so hard to understand is it........pulls last remaining hair out......

edit on 022929p://f53Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by captainnotsoobvious

Thank you for that...as that is my point exactly....they are in the business of making money off selling this information on ......so the emails of the internal office emails will be defo bias in that manner...and all emails should be looked at as such.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
Opinions they are paid for, they give advice to corporations and governments.

So these opinions are pretty important.

Forged opinions aren't particularly valuable, except perhaps with regards to understanding what the forger was trying to accomplish and who they might be.

It has already been established that someone is circulating fake e-mails under the guise of STRATFOR employees and the CEO himself, so one can suppose that at least some of these communications are fake as well. No-one appears to be bothered by this which makes me feel like something of a party pooper, but even if that doesn't bother anyone, the Friedman quote certainly should.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I hope life becomes very uncomfortable for a lot of these crooks around the world.... Wikileaks needs to release everything they know and just sit back and watch...

We don't need no water let the mother f****r burn
Burn mother f****r burn

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
just read through this email and you will see sources cited and how they gather info...using msm...google....blogs...and other such highly suspect info sources that if we were to use them on a hot topic on ATS itself the poster would be screamed down for using such sources......lol

I think i will go into the inteligence info selling business meself now.

Email-ID

Source

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by plube
reply to post by smurfy

once again thepoint is being missed i am not speaking english here i guess.....I am saying so what if they got hacked...and so what if they hack themselves....what is important is now that the info is in the public domain....do not mis interpret the content of the material....is that so hard to understand.

take it ...disect it.....analyse it till the cows come home...but keep the context in mind...and keep in mind the sources of where the info came from and whom the info was sent to and also the intention of what the email was ment to represent.....not so hard to understand is it........pulls last remaining hair out......

edit on 022929p://f53Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

I addressed that at the start of my post, was it so hard to understand? Furthermore, it is you who is making the assumption of twisting the contents of an e-mail. Unless you know that is so, you have no real premise..that is up to those affected to make their case, as in the case of Nicholas Dawes who has spoken out.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Statfor came across as scum and they and their user base deserve every bit of this and more.

You need to lay off your caffeine, buddy.

I'm one their "user base", having subscribed to their e-mail list aeons ago. I do it for my own education and as a way to get an unusual angle on world events, outside of MSM. Why exactly do I deserve it that my privacy has been violated? Guess what, I used to play Sony games a long time ago and as we know private data on Sony servers has also been compromised by ruthless hackers. Do I deserve it, too?

I'm sick and tired of people applauding WL. If it was the government who stole and inspected your e-mail, you would scream bloody Nazi, but when it's some pompous t!tface, that's fine by you. You know, to me that doesn't make a difference.

Information theft is just that, a theft, and I hope that a few people will get jail terms for doing that.

edit on 27-2-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Julian Assange Interview on The Newshour, India, after Stratfor/Dow Email Leak

www.youtube.com...

Hell...I think upto certain extent journalists, movie & television actors, politicians they all could be used as field ops and information gathering
Including their equipment and flights
Something very easily forgotten by main stream public.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by hp1229

Since when did WL pay anyone to leak anything? The system is setup so that they themselves dont even know the sources of the leaks.

Not paying to leak anything but possibly paying to obtain information that is worthy enough for leakage. How do you think the information is uploaded? They have to maintain wikileak servers dont they? Where is the revenue coming from?

Donations. They dont pay anyone except the people who work for WL. Tell me how would one even pay to someone they dont even know?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

reply to post by hp1229

Since when did WL pay anyone to leak anything? The system is setup so that they themselves dont even know the sources of the leaks.

Not paying to leak anything but possibly paying to obtain information that is worthy enough for leakage. How do you think the information is uploaded? They have to maintain wikileak servers dont they? Where is the revenue coming from?

Donations. They dont pay anyone except the people who work for WL. Tell me how would one even pay to someone they dont even know?

Very good point!

link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious
One important aspect of this came up in the press conference:

People were paying for this and using it to make decisions, but quite often their analysis was wrong and they were using things like, "google translate" to translate sensitive documents. And they would on many occasions make basic mistakes like who was a Sunni or Shia.

I'd say all of this is pretty interesting, some of it is shocking and new info, some of it is flat out incorrect.

And that was down to them often just sucking at their jobs. And the rest was done to them generating a lot of info to sell and not really caring how true it was.

They may or may not suck at their jobs. Nobody has any business breaking into their mailboxes. I know that my car mechanic does a shoddy job once in a while, but this doesn't give me the right to place a hidden camera inside his shop or rummage through his receipts at night. Gee, maybe my s3xual performance with my wife is not the best, does it give the right to anybody to bug my bedroom?

All of you who cheer don't really value your own rights and privacy, and that's pretty pathetic.

link   
reply to post by smurfy

the only thing you set out was the what if......and for some reason if one does an evil ....then another evil balances things out....i will think about that.

my sample was based on what i have seen from the start of this thread....were you here...and did you read right from the begining.....because then you may know why i am saying what i am saying.

As when the OP first posted this...the emails were and still are being taken out of context......so therefore i do have a premise for which i am basing my statements. Do you yourself remeber page 9 where i first posted. oh i guess not...as you weren't there.....but not to rattle your cage on this.....as i see you jsut decided to jump in....welcome to the discussion.

and please paraphrase what you think i am saying and i will gladly answer you with what i am truely saying.....as i think there is valuable insight into how a company such as this works and it can show how shody the inteligence world really is in it's information gathering.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I don't agree.. the e-mails show the inner workings of a company involved in "intelligence" operations for major corporations and government agencies.. It can be quite revealing, especially if talking about corruption or wrongdoing ..

Well yeah that will give us fodder to talk about... but I am with Swills on this... who cares? hanks to this leak I now have millions of email addresses to sensitive people and companies... Last weak I got two mega lists of NASA emails...

So I guess now that we have these emails, everyone on ATS will be busy writing emails and asking hard questions yes?

I seem to recall that there were 250,000 leaked cables... THAT kept us talking on a few of them fro what 2-3 weeks? before it was mostly forgotten

This too shall pass into oblivion... and I bet not more than a dozen people make any real use of this
And I am just guessing at the other eleven

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Absolutely. Luckily for us though most of the sources seem pretty documented. So like, the Mexican UAVs thing, well...it's clear that the info is believable on it's face, but also incomplete and could contain a lot of inaccurate details. But still... It's eye opening. And could potentially make future events a bit more clear.

It's all a tapestry of info we deal with... Hard to really see the big picture though as so many details are of dubious providence.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I seem to recall that there were 250,000 leaked cables... THAT kept us talking on a few of them fro what 2-3 weeks? before it was mostly forgotten

Maybe your interest waned in 2 weeks -- your livelihood and survival does not depend on any of this. In some cases, I do believe that there was damage done because the cables did allow for intel agencies anywhere (doesn't even need to be a nation state) to connect a few more dots and figure out the flow of info, which is clearly against the US interests.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yea, we really have no right knowing what a contractor for what we know is a corrupt government is doing, saying or stealing from us and others abroad! So there!

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join