WikiLeaks begins publishing 5 million emails from STRATFOR

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Never heard of Atlantic mobile, sounds like they are trying to play coy while trying to downplay wikileaks

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by plube
reply to post by smurfy

......and that is just my opinion.

edit on 032929p://f56Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

And that's all that it is. Actually Assange had already addressed the issue because he knew that the media would be going for the same LCD.

Something that all enterprises do is, 'sex it up' Assange probably knows a lot more, so it is paramount to listen to everything he says, for just a teeny weeny bit of something to get hold of. Remember, while you and I waffle, this is a man truly in the matrix, and nobody knows what to do with him.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious
reply to post by plube

Absolutely. Luckily for us though most of the sources seem pretty documented. So like, the Mexican UAVs thing, well...it's clear that the info is believable on it's face, but also incomplete and could contain a lot of inaccurate details. But still... It's eye opening. And could potentially make future events a bit more clear.

It's all a tapestry of info we deal with... Hard to really see the big picture though as so many details are of dubious providence.

yes definately a lot of dubious info and it will be difficult to sort through what could be considered useful or if it is just more cannon fodder...and as Zorgon stated...there is loads of useful info as in the names and the emails...but the question is will they be used to make real progress into disecting any of the real pertinent information.....also...if the company go under....which i suspect it will....all the @stratfor emails just disappear anyways......

reading the emails...they were having their own internal issues as to the sucess of what they were doing and they were questioning their own ethics as in to how to protect their own sources which they CLAIMED to have in various locations around the world....which are it would seem a journalist based source community....IMO.

now if this is the case ....who are the ones looking for the story....was it Stratfor...or would it have been the journalist.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Another take and an interesting read.

Stratfor Is a Joke and So Is Wikileaks for Taking It Seriously
m.theatlantic.com...

The best way to hide the truth is right out in the open.

When a rumor or evidence is presented, create more rumors and create similar conflicting documents, so basically spread more rumors.

In the end, people will be so confused and the truth will be so distorted they will give up.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

m.theatlantic.com...

The best way to hide the truth is right out in the open.

When a rumor or evidence is presented, create more rumors and create similar conflicting documents, so basically spread more rumors.

In the end, people will be so confused and the truth will be so distorted they will give up.

Certain truth there although the documents will need to be contested in the verbal since there are names attached. More so is that a persistant waffle or two, or three or four in a forum like this will have the same effect...trolling, the internet's answer to Pareidolia.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I might have to disagree there a bit....he is not truely in the matrix now is he.....trust me.....if he was such a threat....then i feel he would have already been dealt with.....as far as anon goes.....we could look at this from another direction could we not....these groups are all plants to throw the population off the scent of the real plot....to throw people these bits of useless info to keep us so unfocused on the real issues that we actually think we the people are actually becoming empowered and taking control of our own destiny....I mean really who is Anon......what makes one ever think they speak for you or i....that they incite hostility towards the machine....where it actually gives the machine power against us as we now err on the wrongside of the law so the general public begin to hate these thoughts and ideas....so it works against the people as more and more hardcore rule over the poeple gets intoduced to protect the very privacy we are saying is being invaded.

It is a messy situation which divides people and in the end it is division of the people which is always used a as tool to introduce more controls on the people......I mean normally if TPTB do not like what is being stated or said they just off the person......So one would have to ask.....why have they not just off'd Julian Assange......a simple faked heart attacked....i mean look at the stress he is under......or heck why not just poision him.....then when wikileaks is failing all of a sudden a group called anon freely comes to the rescue.....does that actually make sense to you.

then we need to think of who actually benifits from stratfors....demise.....did not Jeb Bush recently secure contracts for various security and inteligence based companies around the US......Heck.....why not wipe out the competition.....and we have wikileaks who now has an ad hoc relationship with Anon......you see for me i question eveything...as things are never as they seem.....a little to convient and cozy for my liking.....that is why i say people really need to disect what is being presented.....always look at motives as there is always a motive to almost anything someone does....otherwise what would be the point in doing it.

It is like what is my motive.........my motive is very simple...the world is a mess and people should not be living in fear....we should not be sheep....and we should not be letting the governments own our souls anymore...and we should not let the governments be own by the coporations anymore.....so when something like this comes about....we need to use it to our advantage in some way to wake people up the what is really going on....because IMO there is a massive body count heading our way soon and people need to become aware...and not be blinded with all the BS.
edit on 042929p://f42Monday by plube because: (no reason given)
edit on 042929p://f44Monday by plube because: (no reason given)
edit on 042929p://f46Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by hp1229

Since when did WL pay anyone to leak anything? The system is setup so that they themselves dont even know the sources of the leaks.

Not paying to leak anything but possibly paying to obtain information that is worthy enough for leakage. How do you think the information is uploaded? They have to maintain wikileak servers dont they? Where is the revenue coming from?

Donations. They dont pay anyone except the people who work for WL. Tell me how would one even pay to someone they dont even know?

Well...we can only speculate but I keep asking the question that how much revenue do you think WL generates from donations? Unless the world is full of generous individuals who follow wikileak religiously, the Corporations might donate bigger amounts. Are there any financial records available online about WikiLeak as an Organization? Wikileaks is primarily a non-profit organization (primarily journalists around the world contributing information) while maintaining 'anonymity'

There are 2 scenarios. Either you pay if the information provider demands or the information provider is doing so voluntarily to submit information to serve the public and expose the system (as many journalists believe in reporting the truth but are held back by their superiors). The paid WL workers are to handle their individual information providers in different regions however they do. If this is not the case then I can only guess that some of the WL staff/journalist contributors might be doubling as part of the 'anonymous' group. Just the way the SUN fiasco in UK with respect to Cell Phone Hacking was a big topic last year

There is definitely a traceability (both financial and information coming into wikileaks). I guess we will find out soon? Something I always try to look for is 'follow the money'
Even a non-profit organization has to operate somehow and maintain their Data Center
The rest is all technical if they are required to maintain records of uploads and downloads onto their system. Which I'm sure someone is following up such as Phone/Cable Companies and/or agencies in respective countries

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by zorgon
I seem to recall that there were 250,000 leaked cables... THAT kept us talking on a few of them fro what 2-3 weeks? before it was mostly forgotten

Maybe your interest waned in 2 weeks -- your livelihood and survival does not depend on any of this. In some cases, I do believe that there was damage done because the cables did allow for intel agencies anywhere (doesn't even need to be a nation state) to connect a few more dots and figure out the flow of info, which is clearly against the US interests.

But do you think either the US or other agencies around the world follow this model and only employ or source 1 particular company to provide them with security analysis? Certainly Stratfor is not the only company around. There are legitimate companies situated overseas too. Right in the middle east
I still think this is a big distraction to something else but thats just me.

I kinda agree with Zorgon on this. The curiosity and tempo will wear off within few weeks.

I also strongly feel that Stratfor was sabotaged. Who knows perhaps their competition?
And if the Government agencies are dishing out sub-contracts to private companies like Stratfor, generally they are of big sum. If you're into the Government Contracting Business, you will see how cut throat the competition can get
The whole thing doesn't seem right and its not even the mission critical information that was leaked or anything. Whole thing is nothing more than a Mail Server Hack. Where is the information provided anywhere by Wikileak or whoever that supposedly hacked into Stratfor that is stored in the systems (database) which is primarily used for ANALYSIS purposes ?
After all, do you think the emails going back and forth was strictly based on wannabe investigators surfing the web and conspiracy theories like the ones on ATS ? It has to be based on a collection of information. I do not see actual raw data posted by Wikileak except emails.
edit on 27-2-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)
edit on 27-2-2012 by hp1229 because: add content
edit on 27-2-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

As pointed out by a few people on the net (including Trevor Timm @WLLegal via twitter), the hacking part of this may be illegal and prosecutable but publishing the emails is probably not (at least in the USA), as there have been a few SCOTUS cases (Supreme Court of the United States) dealing with "divulging or publishing truthful information regarding confidential proceedings",or documents that have been "illegally procured" by third parties.

Bartnicki v. Vopper
Holding: A broadcaster cannot be held civilly liable for publishing documents or tapes illegally
procured by a third-party.
en.wikipedia.org...

Landmark Communications v. Virginia
Holding: The First Amendment does not permit the criminal punishment of third persons who
are strangers to proceedings before such a commission for divulging or publishing truthful information regarding confidential proceedings of the commission.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by arbiture

STRATFOR's private business is deceitful hacking.

Do you know anything about what STRATFOR does? Geesh. They collate news and provide analysis. Other sites that do some of the same things are: Planet Data and Global Security.org. Deceitful hacking my ass...
edit on 27/2/12 by arbiture because: added other company names...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59

Originally posted by arbiture
May I ask for what reason WikiLeaks is publishing this? STRATFOR is a private company that among other things produces a newsletter thats free to non-subscribers, a more detailed level is available to those who pay for the service. It's a very good private intelligence network in addition to being a corporate security and intelligence collection, analysis, and opinion site.

So what is the point? What WL is doing is blatant hacking, all under the guise of some bull s*** noble crusade. I hope they prosecute those responsible to the extent of what is still only limited law. We need to make it pay dearly to screw with private e-mail's. No? Next time it may be you. As someone who was hacked and my privacy violated by a private contractor I assure you; it aint pretty. What's that old line? If I recall its along the lines of; "If I get f*****, at least I should enjoy it".

Your going to have to add a bit more honey if you expect to make sales person of the year!

Actually one of my companies is a competitor of STRATFOR... Maybe I can make myself person of the year?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
George Friedman on Email Theft and the Wikileaks Release

www.youtube.com...

For those who may miss some of these vids,

edit on 27-2-2012 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
All I'm getting out of any of this are these are just conversations containing peoples thoughts on topics. I don't see anything yet of any substance. Same stuff we see on Blogs all the time.

Perhaps the truth is that Wikileaks actually does not have anything worth leaking. Just a lot of gossip and opinion on topics after the fact.

I did notice Wikileaks is begging for money again. Is this release a bunch of garbage to encourage donations time? Seems a more likely conspiracy than anything they are leaking.

Isn't it interesting how people who are likely fanatical about their own privacy, are so excited about the results of groups of criminals who do nothing but snoop and invade others privacy?

Anyone who supports this needs to open up all their personal or private communications to public review to prove they are not hypocrites or phonies themselves. You can't demand privacy yourselves, while supporting the invasion of others privacy. We all know what kind of people do that.

It will be interesting to watch the spin doctors manipulate these and use them as if they are meaningful.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

m.theatlantic.com...

Assange would probably like to regain some of his former glory; Wikileaks' 2010 release of video from a U.S. army helicopter in Iraq sparked a small international incident and won praise from much of the media, including me. What better way to do it than by taking on an easy target and then claiming you'd exposed an international corporate-imperialist conspiracy? Stratfor is not the shadow-CIA that Wikileaks seems to believe it is, but much of the blame for this mistake actually lies with Stratfor itself.

The group has spent over a decade trying to convince the world that it is a for-hire, cutting-edge intel firm with tentacles everywhere. Before their marketing campaign fooled Anonymous, it fooled wealthy clients; before it fooled clients, it hooked a couple of reporters. A breathless October 15, 2001, Barron's cover story called Stratfor "a private quasi-CIA," the evidence for which appears to be this quote from Stratfor chief George Friedman: "The CIA has to spend thousands of dollars a month to have an agent in, say, Teheran or Peshawar to monitor local newspapers or political developments that we can find on the Internet within a few hours." In other words, they have Google. But Stratfor's first big break had come in 1999 with a spate of glowing articles such as this January piece in Time, which reported Stratfor's "striking" theory that the U.S. bombing of Iraq in December 1998 was "actually designed to mask a failed U.S.-backed coup." That theory, like so much of Stratfor's "intelligence," was discredited long ago.

So, what is your point? That this entire thing is nothing because a newspaper says it's so?

Thx for the link though!

Eta: "fooled" is repeated in the article. What a bunch of snip. Nothing but MSM opinion, that was probably one of the journalists that received a loaded visa card for his comments.

Don't be fooled yourself.

edit on 27-2-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
No real point there, Just sifting through some of the info that's coming up from the storm of this all, It was a different take so again something to consider,

Too make any of our own judgements we need to look at all 4 corners of what's being thrown out there, and that means looking at some of the crappy bits too and being able to discard what is nonsense and what is not,

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I always appreciate your take on issues. You give a different perspective and I continuously leave the post having another opinion that is very valid. Do you think Assanage has any real power or is he a puppet?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Precisely.

If not anything, I have seen better or funnier comments by readers of the news websites and blogs

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

May I ask for what reason WikiLeaks is publishing this? STRATFOR is a private company that among other things produces a newsletter thats free to non-subscribers, a more detailed level is available to those who pay for the service. It's a very good private intelligence network in addition to being a corporate security and intelligence collection, analysis, and opinion site.

So what is the point? What WL is doing is blatant hacking, all under the guise of some bull s*** noble crusade. I hope they prosecute those responsible to the extent of what is still only limited law. We need to make it pay dearly to screw with private e-mail's. No? Next time it may be you. As someone who was hacked and my privacy violated by a private contractor I assure you; it aint pretty. What's that old line? If I recall its along the lines of; "If I get f*****, at least I should enjoy it".

Wikileaks is a news org, they didn't steal anything, they just released it.

If you can find an example of Wikileaks actively hacking anyone I will concede your point, but they have not.

There were many other news outlets who released wikileaks info, yet none of them have been charged with treason or any other crime.

Assange is the messenger, not the theif.

So if I sell goods or in this case data that are knowingly stolen, thats OK? How did the party whoever the actual thief is, get the e-mails? You do not just "discover" 5 million e-mails, someone provided access to private communication with out permission. They were clearly hacked as were numerous other companies recently, notably credit card companies, medical sources like hospital patient data and insurance companies. This is a serious problem for those who do so much on line, like pay bills. But I will see if I can site the actual source and post what I find out as to the method.

There is no evidence at all that e-mails were "provided" by an employee at STRATFOR to Assange. This has the same signature as the other data base hacks. Even if it WAS provided by someone my first sentence still applies, its still a crime. The mistake some naively make when it comes to illegal access to and dissemination of data or e-mails is it's somehow harmless, even noble.

When your e-mails are broadcast for all to see, or one finds their bank account empty one day because you "gave" all your money to someone's idea of a noble cause, or suddenly your credit rating is in the toilet because someone helped themselves to your good credit rating and now you have a multi-million dollar bill for sex toys and vintage rock memorabilia, people may take this more seriously.

The fact that such actions affect the national security gets people in trouble. But thats nothing compared to the hell one will pay for GASP! costing people money. Now the FTC, SBA, local and federal spooks are all getting a cyber crime department. Companies are also developing sophisticated cyber counter-intelligence and counter-espionage units out of both necessity and also fear of what if. In itself that can be a problem as not all "black departments" in the private sector play nice, or ethically.

To develop a counter-cyber attack ability necessitates you at least understand offensive cyber-attack methodology and protocols. The ramifications of so many hired guns and free lancers in this area is ominous. And the more people hack into private data bases the worse its going to get. When one feels vulnerable and not protected by the system thats when a lot of people buy guns. Few know how to shoot straight as it is.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are with this whole thing. Whole thing just seems too easy for the masses with irrelevant information though it can be helpful for the adversaries to understand the culture, methodology and practices of private sector intelligence analysis companies.

I just cant accept whats posted and/or reported this quickly. Been fooled one too many times in life (marriage included)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59

Your going to have to add a bit more honey if you expect to make sales person of the year!

Actually one of my companies is a competitor of STRATFOR... Maybe I can make myself person of the year?

send us a copy of your email database and well find out

new topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join