It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breastfeeding in Church? Get kicked out

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

She could of excused herself
to the rest room, or somewhere else she could be
comfortable. I believe this was done on purpose
to push the boundaries,

I think you are right about this part, and the lady needs to bear her part in the responsibility, but all the people that made it a big deal played right into her little drama game. They should have just shrugged it off as a quirk for that particular lady. Getting offended by it is really out of this world. What can possibly be offensive about it?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just playing devil's advocate here. To be clear, I have no problem with a woman breastfeeding in public.. I think it's a good way of viewing ourselves as part of nature in our modern society that sometimes seems disconnected.

However, Ga. Code § 31-1-9 (1999) states that the breastfeeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health and allows a mother to breastfeed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be. (1999 SB 29, Act 304; 2002 SB 221)

www.ncsl.org...

Authorized being the key word. Authorization leads me to believe that the authority to be in a place can be removed, in this case, because the church is private property. The pastor oversees the property, and in most cases holds the authority of a property owner.

I assume her breast was exposed to the point of it being rather visible if they are talking charges of public indecency.

Again, don't get me wrong, just trying to look at both sides.. I personally believe all people should be welcome and in any case more forgiven for things that seem to some to be socially awkward.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Dear you miss understood my post, go back and read it again, my post is an explanation of how society deals with those out there that have sexual deviations.

Laws and boundaries to subjugate women, while hidden under the banner of protecting women and children from sexual predators.

Actually America when it comes to sexuality is not better than Islam thanks to fundamentalist Christians.

Like I say I hope the mother wins her batter against sexually deprived American society.

I breastfeed my children in public and was oblivious of those that look at me dirty because I knew deep inside that the dirty ones were them no me

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

to push the boundaries,

I think you are right about this part, and the lady needs to bear her part in the responsibility, but all the people that made it a big deal played right into her little drama game. They should have just shrugged it off as a quirk for that particular lady. Getting offended by it is really out of this world. What can possibly be offensive about it?

I think that about wraps the thread up.
The information right there in our quotes sums up
what should of happen.. Nothing more to say.
Another dramatization got to have that drama.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

For some reason you believe you need to give me a good lecture today.?
Whaaa? Just a tad presumptuous?

Telll ya what, you breast feed your baby in public, and I'll turn my head and roll my eyes like everybody else.
I'll keep my private life private, provided that's okay with you?

How about that?

Look---It's a cultural thing. From my life, it's not done. I've seen it when it was necessary, thought nothing of it.
Seen women doing in the middle of the mall, thought it was silly. I'm not some kind of breast freak. I have some.
I just prefer polite manners when possible.

By the way...you do know that stuff can put in bottles for such times, like church?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
reply to post by smyleegrl

As long as it's all covered up it shouldn't be a big deal. What's the difference between a "young man" (probably black, right?) holding up his jeans and a women wearing a shirt that doesn't need holding up, but is showing a lot of cleavage?

You could walk around in a speedo and that's fine, but boxers partially showing and it's illegal.

edit on 25-2-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

You misunderstood me. I simply made a comparison between something I find ridiculous (baggy pants) with something ridiculously stupid (not being able to breast feed in public).

And where I live, sagging pants are an equal opportunity fashion statement.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'm so sick of these stories.

Go to wal mart.

Buy a breast pump.

Pump your milk.

When out in public, carry along spare bottles.

Don't be ignorant.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

The lecture isn't particularly for you, although I am responding to your statements, but you are not alone in your feelings, so just consider it a group lecture, with you in the front row.

Putting it in bottles is fine, except it does the mother no good in shrinking her uterus or relieving the pressure, and it takes away the bonding time the baby spends literally connected to the mother.

My biggest
is the fact that anyone can be offended by a breast? How? Why? Is it scary? Ugly? Threatening? I mean, there is about 1 breast for every human being on the planet, half the population sees them in the mirror daily, and the other half sees them often enough it shouldn't be that big of a surprise or shock. The half of the population that doesn't have any, are usually trying to peak over a sweater top and see them anyway.

Please explain to me how a device, specifically engineered and evolved to feed a baby, and is one of the most common devices on the planet is offensive when it is seen in use? I just cannot comprehend a situation where a breast would be so shocking as to offend me, and if there is such a situation, it certainly is not in the execution of its primary designed function.

Are baby bottles offensive? Same device, same purpose, similar availability, just not quite as warm and squishy. Although, I have to be honest, those bottles with the stupid plastic bag inside do kind of tick me off. They are ugly and weird.
edit on 25-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

to push the boundaries,

I would of waited until it was over,
Then I would of asked her not to do that anymore.
Also that if she did she would need
to leave the main area.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
She could have breast-fed in the nursery.

This was a problem only because the nursing mother wanted it to be a problem.

Google "Breastfeeding Cover." and you will see that you can buy or simply make a cover for the baby and the mom's breast.

My wife preferred a cover, even at home, because it quieted restless babies while feeding. She nursed 4 kids (sequentially, over a decade), in the south, during church. Most men didn't even know she was doing anything but "rocking the baby" to sleep under the cover.

And my wife is a "lactavist." just a polite one.

I'm all fine with children being natural in church, or target (remember that sit-in? That wasn't even about Christians!) But when a person is being loud or disrupting prayer, you ask them to leave, or help them get what they need to settle down.

When grampa snores, we wheel him outside.

edit on 25-2-2012 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Putting it in bottles is fine, except it does the mother no good in shrinking her uterus or relieving the pressure, and it takes away the bonding time the baby spends literally connected to the mother.

Babies feed multiple times a day.. is eating out of a bottle for the one to two hours that mom is in a crowded public gathering like a Church seriously going to cause an emotional attachment disorder?

No.

My biggest is the fact that anyone can be offended by a breast?

I'm not offended by breasteses. However, I'm sorta a breast connoisseur... If you have great breast and want to show em to the World ... all for it. If you have breasts that have seen the effects of breast feeding, or, like most breasts in this country and are just gross saggy sacks of fat ... quite frankly, I find it gross. IMO, its no different than a guy taking his shirt off and he's totally ripped .. the women would be like oh hell ya. But a fat guy with man boobs .. well .. you'd be like hey man .. put a shirt on. I know I know I know. I'm a pig.

Ugly?

The vast majority of breasts ARE ugly, yes.

IMO.. hey it's my opinion .. I find women who publicly breast feed, particularly in crowded places (like a church.. or a mall) to be SCREAMING for attention. They are saying look at me guys! Got my tits out look at me! That's right make gross faces so I can scream at the media too!

If I saw a woman in a park breast feeding, I'd circumnavigate, give her privacy and think nothing of it. Or even somewhere necessary like a bus or bus stop because I know that's her mode of transport and circumstances dictate she simply has to feed her baby.

But taking your breasts out, without covering, and feeding your kid in the middle of church?

attention whore.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

Well I guess you got me TOLD. Feel better?

It makes me uncomfortable, indeed it does. I think it's rude, indeed I do. I've seen it in airplanes, and such, when there wasn't really a choice. But otherwise out in public when it's not necessary?

Just plain rude.

No, you feel uncomfortable. The breast is basically an inanimate object, it doesn't put a gun to your head and tell you how to feel. Stop looking externally. You feel uncomfortable, fair enough, that is your right, so remove yourself from the source of discomfort, or rationalize the reasons you feel discomfort and decide if you still need those reasons, or if they are serving no rational purpose, and then discard the reasons and the discomfort along with them.

When people start taking control of their own emotions, the world will be such a better place. Nobody makes you "feel" any particular way. Keep your problems to yourself. (Speaking in a generic 'you' although it applies to you as well.)

Unfortunately, that's too simplistic. I'm sure there are similar things you'd object to if you saw them out in public. And in that case, being told "mind your own business" probably wouldn't cut it.

And if that's not the case, then good to hear.
edit on 25-2-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
there should be no problem with a woman discreetly breastfeeding her child in public. no need to stare, even men have breasts and nipples. some people need to grow up. everyone has a body, stop being so ashamed. the garden of eden was perfect with adam and eve completely naked without a care.

the deciding factor in whether something is right or wrong often isn't the action itself, but the motive behind it. a woman feeding her hungry baby the way that god intended in a church shouldn't be a problem. as getreadyalready has said, your reaction to a situation is YOURS, and doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

if the woman was making a scene for attention (though i have no reason to believe this is true) and she was politely asked to either quit disrupting the service, or leave, then i would side with the pastor. BUT the pastor was a complete douchebag and likened the woman breastfeeding her baby to a stripper.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Entirely agree.
And, in my first post I even said the preacher was justified in removing her if she was a distraction. BUT, for all those folks that were actually gawking and contributing to the distraction, I say..... grow up.

It's a breast, its not magical. And just like you, I'm a bit of a connoisseur, although I am first attracted to small wastes and round butts, but I eventually find my way to check out a breast, and I've sampled quite a lot, and I haven't found one with magical powers yet, so I just don't get the irrational attraction nor offense.

reply to post by Turq1

It is certainly over-simplified. No time or space here to conduct a workshop on it, but the main idea is still valid and important.

As for me, the only way to offend me is to get in my way. Hell, you can even cut me off in traffic if you want, and as long as you speed up and get the hell out of my way, I'll give you a thumbs up for creative driving. I'm almost impossible to offend, and the only things that will get under my skin have to specifically impact me in a tangible way. Block my car in a parking spot, or drive in my blindspot and make me almost wreck you, or pull out in front of me when I'm on the motorcycle.

Hell, you could call my wife a Ho, if you wanted, and it would only offend me if she was standing right there and had her feelings hurt, or if we were already about to fight, and you said it with the specific intention of instigating something, and then I might oblige you, but really, on a deep personal level, I wouldn't give a damn.

I can't imagine anything that someone could do or say that could offend me. Maybe I'm a freak.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's probably because her bosom wasn't Monsanto approved!

They force us to get so far away and removed from nature that their agenda is almost laughable.

I think because breast feeding isn't encourage in this society, when we DO see it it almost looks unnatural and feels wrong to glance at.

This planet is so seriously twisted.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Please tell me your not serious. And who are the neanderthals that starred this? Responses and all the stars to the them, like this, make me loose hope for ats.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

So I guess you can't go to restaurants since other people eating in front of you in public is rude? How about the people who eat on the plane, does that bother you too?

Someone bumping into you without saying excuse me is rude.A person cutting you off on the road and then giving you the finger is rude. But a mother and baby doing what is done all over the world in every culture, that has been done for hundreds of thousands of years, is just natural.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I'm not offended by breasteses. However, I'm sorta a breast connoisseur... If you have great breast and want to show em to the World ... all for it. If you have breasts that have seen the effects of breast feeding, or, like most breasts in this country and are just gross saggy sacks of fat ... quite frankly, I find it gross

Okay, you did just totally make it into a sexual thing. Not good.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

If a preacher is so easily distracted from his sermon, maybe he is in the wrong line of work.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

So I guess you can't go to restaurants since other people eating in front of you in public is rude? How about the people who eat on the plane, does that bother you too?

Yeah! It bothers the hell out of me to see people eat!!!!!!

..................pleeze. Build your strawman argument. That's all that is.

edit on 2/25/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join