It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breastfeeding in Church? Get kicked out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I guess the priest forgot about this...

Nirvana Jennette, Mom Forced Out Of Church For Breastfeeding, Aims To Change Georgia Law

Nirvana Jennette, a mom of four from Camden County, Georgia says she was forced out of church for breastfeeding her baby. Church leaders asked her to breastfeed in the bathroom and implied they could have arrested her for “lewd behavior.” The most egregious statement? She told news station WSAV that her pastor compared her breastfeeding to a stripper performing.

Stupid pastor...

According to Fox 30 WAWS, although Georgia state law allows a mother to nurse her child anywhere, Jennette could face public indecency charges. She wants her message to be heard loud and clear -- breastfeeding is natural and moms who want to feed their children in public should be protected. To that end, she's decided to stage a nurse-in and is seeking to establish legislative change for the State of Georgia.

+1

People need to stop being prudes when we know people who are the most prudes are the craziest ones in the bedroom.

I guess religious people will continue to be a hell of an annoyance for everyone...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It's amazing to me that people have a problem seeing an exposed breast in public. I mean how prudish are we in the west that we can't even stand that? Furthermore, why is it your right to not be offended?

It certainly isn't. Especially considering this function is used to nourish new born babies of all things.

~Tenth

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If I can't eat in Church,

Why should that baby?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I can gauretee that God does not approve of these church elders , I for one would have stood up and made a big stink on behalf of this woman . The churches of men are so corrupt God has little to do with them.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Hmm, good point. I've actually been starting to restrict my 8 month old daughters meal times to the times when I feel it is appropriate for her to eat. 8am, 12pm, possibly a snack at 3pm and then one last meal at 6pm. She needs to learn that just because she is hungry that she doesn't NEED to eat. Church should remain strict and not allow people to do anything in church but sit and listen.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
If I can't eat in Church,

Why should that baby?

Do you eat in the restroom?

Too gross? Too many germs?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The article doesn't give the name or the denomination of the Church. (or did I miss it).
Considering this is Georgia .. I'm betting some fundamentalist Christian church.
The (few) fundamentalist Baptists around here kick women out of their schools and off their
playgrounds if they are wearing pants. I kid you not.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
i find this disgracfull that people cant bare to see the top part of a boob in public feeding a helpless baby and giving it a better diet when entering into the world, But on deathrow you can have what ever meal you wish to have before you killed?

Does it change you as a person to know this or see it?

Is it important? In this day of age when where suppose to be "moving forward"?

isnt religon suppose to date back from the first second of time? Do people think baby powder and bottle were on this planet before humans?

I cant stand people with this oppinion waste of space they clearly with an oppinion like that have nothing to offer a planet like this one, Infact most of the people who dont like where born and breastfeed themsleves, Its usually old men and unsocialable people. Do you think a women who's breast is feeding a child that wrong?

I can understand if it was a man sucking a womens nipple in the middle of a bus or a eating complex but seriously a baby feeding from there mother.

I may even be able to understand with a small amount if the women throw's here top on the floor, pings open here bra, letting her leakiing breasts droop and then walks round with a baby in arms as she walks around shopping.

But it isnt, And even if it was the only thing that would make me feel uncomftable is if i was rammed in a elevator with 20 poeple and 3 breastfeeding mums with there tops off and they were all really fit lol, then id have to get out, But if its me that find any situation wrong all you got to do is remove myself from seeing it. Hell i wouldnt care if i saw a women expressing into a coffee at mcdonalds ect, have you seen how expensive breastmilk is? And NO breastmilk is not available at mcdonalds guys.

i say good for you ladies, get em out

edit on 25-2-2012 by intuitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Why is it considered public indecency for a woman to breast feed in public, but okay for young men to walk around with their hands in their crotch to hold up their pants?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I cannot believe the amount of absolute ignorance is on this website, totally ruins it for me.

So stupid.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

On the one hand, she has the right to breastfeed and it is certainly not lewd or obscene.

On the other hand, if it was distracting from the preacher's sermon, he has the right to remove the distraction. Doesn't matter if it is a cell phone, a sidebar conversation, crying baby, or a bare breast. So, I don't feel the preacher did anything wrong if the breast-feeding was a distraction, but he certainly did wrong in threatening to have her arrested or in calling the behavior obscene.

Sounds like a bunch of sensitive nancies and trouble makers from the lady to the congregation to the preacher. This is why God and I talk alone, and I rarely attend a church.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It makes everyone around them, men, other women, and children uncomfortable.

It's just rude.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

As long as it's all covered up it shouldn't be a big deal. What's the difference between a "young man" (probably black, right?) holding up his jeans and a women wearing a shirt that doesn't need holding up, but is showing a lot of cleavage?

You could walk around in a speedo and that's fine, but boxers partially showing and it's illegal.

edit on 25-2-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
It makes everyone around them, men, other women, and children uncomfortable.

It's just rude.

No one can "make" you anything. I am teaching this to my 5 year old and 4 year old, but an adult should already know it. If you are uncomfortable, then you need to look internally for your source of discomfort, not externally. Breastfeeding doesn't "make" anyone anything, except it makes a baby not hungry anymore. The prudes that feel the need to gawk, and then get their panties in a bunch, and then complain, and then cast blame, really don't belong in a church now do they? Or maybe they do, because they certainly have missed the entire point of the teachings of the church. You know.... those pesky lessons like..... cast the first stone, judge not, don't covet your neighbor's breast.

Seriously. My 5 year old picked this up after one or two suggestions about people making him feel a certain way, but the majority of the world hasn't caught on yet, and they still think everyone else is making them feel the irrational feelings they are feeling.
No one can make you rational, you have to do that yourself, and once you start thinking rationally, I'm pretty sure a breast, doing what it was designed to do, won't be at the top of your priority list of ills to cure in the world.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The problem is not the mother breastfeeding in public their babies as this is actually a natural act.

But the problem is with the sick people out there than can not restrain their sexual desires even when its a breast ready to feed a hungry baby.

Those out there be women or men that barks the loudest and have a problem when looking at a naked breast while a mother is breastfeeding have deep deviant sexual behavior that can not be control without medical attention and to do that will expose them and their problems to family and society so they take a staunch stance when it comes to what activates their weakness.

The one in the church that condemn the mother for breastfeeding is actually guilty of having dirty toughts.
Plain and simple.

America is a nation that is fixated on sex but at the same time is a nation that have the most problems with sexual deprivation, due to religious dogma, that is why breastfeeding is seen as a dirty act rather than point out those that tagged as a dirty act to be nothing but sexual predators

For that mothers that breastfeed needs to be protected, sadly that means taking away their rights to breast feed in public while expousing their breast.

So like that society and sexual predators can come to terms.

I hope this mother wins her batter against America sexually deprive society.

edit on 25-2-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wooo giving babies the right of life - inside the womb. Let 'em starve once they're out for all these people care!!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Well I guess you got me TOLD. Feel better?

It makes me uncomfortable, indeed it does. I think it's rude, indeed I do. I've seen it in airplanes, and such, when there wasn't really a choice. But otherwise out in public when it's not necessary?

Just plain rude.

I'm pretty sure a breast, doing what it was designed to do, won't be at the top of your priority list of ills to cure in the world.

It's not NOW, thank you so much. Please park your condescension. thanks.

edit on 2/25/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Only if a women absolutely needs to
feed the baby. That should be the only
reason why she is breast feeding in public.
Being in a church sitting in a pew pulling
your breast out while a sermon was going
is pretty distasteful. She could of excused herself
to the rest room, or somewhere else she could be
comfortable. I believe this was done on purpose
to push the boundaries, maybe being able
to sue to get some money off this whole thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah, all those men can't restrain all their sick desires, so let's make sure women cover themselves up to stop men from thinking horrible things. Even jeans are too much, so let's make sure they're wearing skirts. Oh, but if they are wearing tight shirts, stuff might be seen, so let's make sure it's nice and baggy. Oh, and men are getting turned on by women's hair too, so women should wear that up in a bonnet. but a lot of these women have nice faces, so they should probably have a veil over their face. and honestly, those necks of theirs... let's go for the full burka!

Do you even realize that what you are saying is the exact justification used to subjugate women in Islamic countries? Men need to learn to deal maturely with women's bodies instead of responding by covering them up. Covering up what's there only heightens the curiosity and makes the natural desires men are feeling seem more "sick".

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
reply to post by getreadyalready

Well I guess you got me TOLD. Feel better?

It makes me uncomfortable, indeed it does. I think it's rude, indeed I do. I've seen it in airplanes, and such, when there wasn't really a choice. But otherwise out in public when it's not necessary?

Just plain rude.

No, you feel uncomfortable. The breast is basically an inanimate object, it doesn't put a gun to your head and tell you how to feel. Stop looking externally. You feel uncomfortable, fair enough, that is your right, so remove yourself from the source of discomfort, or rationalize the reasons you feel discomfort and decide if you still need those reasons, or if they are serving no rational purpose, and then discard the reasons and the discomfort along with them.

When people start taking control of their own emotions, the world will be such a better place. Nobody makes you "feel" any particular way. Keep your problems to yourself. (Speaking in a generic 'you' although it applies to you as well.)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join