It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights turning off..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hey everyone.. i've been viewing this site for quite some time but decided to sign up and post. I have a weird experience I would like to share.

Now I have no idea if this is amazing coincidence or what, but here goes.

At college, there is this street light at the top of a hill that almost ALWAYS turns off as I approach it. At first I jokingly thought "ah thats weird. What if it happens again?!"

The next time i walked through, it turned off again. My first thought was that there was some kind of sensor setting this off, but there have been lots of people walking ahead of me who don't seem to set off this "sensor". It's always the same orange light that turns off when i approach it. The rest of the non orange lights remain unaffected.

The other day my cousins were visiting, and we were walking down the hill. I noticed the light was on and jokingly told them "Yea this light likes to turn off randomly when i walk near it.".. and few seconds later it turned off.

There were people walking in front of me, so shouldn't they have triggered the light as well??

Does this happen to anybody? If there some logical explanation cus i'm just a little freaked out about it.

Peace, and happy posting.

Dan

*** MOD EDIT***

The Introduction Forum is for introductions To tell something about you; not to start a thread about a topic.“Intro threads” that are really “topic threads” will be removed.
Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself.

Please see my post below...
edit on 2/22/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

I hate the streetlight thing. There was one on my block I used to go past and it would turn off every time. I always figured it was a sensor or something.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by djh91
Hey everyone.. i've been viewing this site for quite some time but decided to sign up and post. I have a weird experience I would like to share.

Now I have no idea if this is amazing coincidence or what, but here goes.

At college, there is this street light at the top of a hill that almost ALWAYS turns off as I approach it. At first I jokingly thought "ah thats weird. What if it happens again?!"

The next time i walked through, it turned off again. My first thought was that there was some kind of sensor setting this off, but there have been lots of people walking ahead of me who don't seem to set off this "sensor". It's always the same orange light that turns off when i approach it. The rest of the non orange lights remain unaffected.

The other day my cousins were visiting, and we were walking down the hill. I noticed the light was on and jokingly told them "Yea this light likes to turn off randomly when i walk near it.".. and few seconds later it turned off.

There were people walking in front of me, so shouldn't they have triggered the light as well??

Does this happen to anybody? If there some logical explanation cus i'm just a little freaked out about it.

Peace, and happy posting.

Dan

Welcome to ATS and interesting stuff!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by djh91

Well does it only happen at that street light? If so then I think its just a coincidence.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It's funny you should bring this up, because my daughter (she is 19) keeps telling me that streetlights turn off when she approaches them. I figured maybe it was just coincidental. Sometimes a particular kind of lightbulb, as it nears its end, will turn off and then turn back on, due to the action of a heat sensor.

However, because she keeps mentioning it, and it scares her, I thought I would do some research. Apparently, y'all are called SLIders (Street Lamp Interference). It is enough of a phenomenon that there are some web pages about it:

paranormal.about.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.straightdope.com...

There are plenty of other webpages, but I will leave it to you to do the research.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by djh91

Same for me up in montreal, right in front of my block but I also noticed that it just turned off sometimes at random with nobody passing. I could observe it from my balcony as I went out to smoke, so my opinion is that they dim these lights simply for energy economy. Don't really think it's strange though.

Peace and rest your mind at ease, nothing unusual here.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by djh91

street light at the top of a hill
Your guardian angel converted his halo over to LED lights.

The next time i walked through, it turned off again.

Seriously though, a light sensor is probably the only type of sensor on any street light. No other kind would be useful.

Do you always walk this route, or sometimes driving?

street light at the top of a hill
Being at the top of a hill, it is more exposed to other lights, in the area(or headlights). Maybe the sensor is set too sensitive. Street lights always take awhile to come back on, but they will shut off quickly, if the light is bright enough.

Does this always occur around the same time of the day?

P.S. Welcome.

edit on 2/22/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far!

It does seem to be the same light, although last night I could have sworn another similar light turned off as well.

The light is always off during the day, so this normally happens when i walk home at night. The hill is closed to traffic, so i've never driven by it. In my experience the light is always on when i approach it then shuts off as i get closer.

I would immediately think sensor, but there are often people in front of me walking and they don't seem to set off the sensor.

At any rate, i'm going to pay much more attention to this. I'll be walking home fairly late tonight, so the light should be on, and i'll see what it does.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

To me the sensor thing doesn't make sense, it wouldn't shut the light off as someone passes by, it would rather light up as someone passes to light the way. Why would it be lit when nobody's there so no necessity for light, but when someone passes and light is needed, it would shut off.

That doesn't make sense, I think they go off at random for electricity economy.
I don't think there's anything mysterious about it.

Peace!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS, as others have said, very interesting read. I hope someone can give you some kind of information be it spiritual or scientific. Good Luck.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by djh91

This happens to my wife occasionally and our oldest daughter quite a bit. It will be lights in many different areas. Street lights and parking lot lights, even a couple times in stores. It is both entertaining and a bit spooky trying to guess which light will turn off when they walk by it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by djh91

Hi Dan, I've had similar experiences all my life. Lots of different street lights going out (in several diff. cities, so not just a single street light involved).
Just a couple of years ago when teaching my daughter to drive; we were in a large parking lot. When driving around it happened 6-times in about 40mins. on 4-different light poles. Whenever we approached/passed one, it would go out. They would go back on after a 5-10mins, when we were at the opposite end of the lot. It happened so much, that I was a little freaked by it. It made me recall all the times it happened when I was a kid and walked around a lot in the evenings. I even wrote an email to George Noory at C2C about it, but never heard anything back.

I didn't think to try and search the web for info. on this...I'll have to check-out Fission's links.

-ff

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The Introduction Forum is for introductions To tell something about you; not to start a thread about a topic.“Intro threads” that are really “topic threads” will be removed.
Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself.

I'm sure you'll understand the necessity for us having rules like this. It helps keep all the great threads and topics in their perspective areas of interest and not all lumped together, making it difficult to find when wanting to make additional comments.

So after you get your 20 posts under your belt.. Please make up a Thread-post with regards to your query. Here below are some links to help get you started in your ATS orientation..

Welcome djh91

To save yourself a lot of searching and even possible future heartache and frustration, please review the below....

For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links to get you started in becoming an informed and valued member of ATS.

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read first)

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

General ATS Discussion Etiquette.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Be sure to try out our Ask ATS with the 'topic' search words of your choice. I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too. We encourage everyone to please contribute to existing threads rather than start a new one. This will also help guarantee that your thread won't end up as a duplicate located elsewhere. The ATS Search feature is your friend!

AboveTopSecret is much like a theme park with many, many rides, so with that said...
Here's a few thoughts before getting onto any one of the 1000's of topical rides at Above Top Secret, (also known as ATS), the world's largest Civil & Unique Discussion Community.

* Please check out those links posted above before getting on one of the rides. This will save you a lot of future stress, frustration and possible action by one of your friendly neighborhood Mods!

* Please be sure to act like an 'civil' adult and are at least this tall to get on any of the rides, (Johnny stretches his arm outward).

* Please remember that some members are very passionate and vocal depending on what ride your all on. You should be mentally fit, stable and have a strong stomach for theories, conjecture, research and evidence presented that may be contrary to your own.

* Please be "open-minded" enough to understand that sometimes the ride isn't always what you might expect. Be aware you also might end up learning something new and 'out-of-the-box' before you get off the ride.

* Please note that at times the ride gets overly-heated and "it's strongly suggested" to get off the ride to regroup one's thoughts before continuing. This will also help guarantee that the ride will move forward without getting derailed or explode into a fiery trashbin.

* Please have fun! But be aware that if you act in an uncivil-like manner, use profanity, intentially spread a hoax and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is not only for your safety, but also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

Johnny

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Usually, when a Mod posts a comment such as yours, it will end with '[color=FFF9AB]Thread Closed'. Did you forget that part? Just curious.

reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2

To me the sensor thing doesn't make sense, it wouldn't shut the light off as someone passes by, it would rather light up as someone passes to light the way. Why would it be lit when nobody's there so no necessity for light, but when someone passes and light is needed, it would shut off.
That would be a motion sensor, similar to the type many people use in their back yard, and some small businesses, sometimes for security purposes.

As far as I have ever noticed, street lights will turn on slowly, but shut off quickly. Normally, when they begin turning on, it isn't actually dark yet. Have you ever seen a street light go off during lightning(thunderstorms)? It will shut off almost instantly, but it may take 10-15 minutes before it comes back on completely.

In this case, it is probably just coincidental timing, that has noting to do with a person walking on the sidewalk.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Exacly my point if you would've quoted the rest of my post.
But no harm
Peace!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

Exacly my point if you would've quoted the rest of my post.
lol. Maybe you should read your post. I know what it says, which is not even remotely close to what I said.

Here ya go:

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2

That doesn't make sense, I think they go off at random for electricity economy. I don't think there's anything mysterious about it.
I said it was probably a light sensor. You then replied directly to me, saying that you don't understand how it could be a sensor. I then explained it once again, just for you.

Do not worry though, because I will not bother trying to explain anything else to you.
I am done here.

edit on 2/23/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS ! Hope we get information from you in the future! Look forward to seeing more of your post.

top topics

join