It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans Are Ignorant To Other Cultures. AND I'M SICK OFF IT!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

And thanks for editing out the part that stated that you don't care what I think...It shows promise that perhaps you as I are looking for real solutions

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andronian

And thanks for editing out the part that stated that you don't care what I think...It shows promise that perhaps you as I are looking for real solutions

No worries, i feel it was quite stupid of me to post that last sentence.

As i have said every country has cultural ignorance, and it is something that every country should try to raise awareness of. Cultural ignorance can, and has lead to very bad problems.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

How old are you? You come across like a mad teenager. Look bud its kind of hard to respect a culture that has religious leaders that call me an infidel and ask for my death if i don't convert to Islam. I think the question should be do these people deserve to be on the same level as rational thinking people? It would be a stretch to refer to these lunatics as intelligent humans.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by discharged77

How old are you? You come across like a mad teenager. Look bud its kind of hard to respect a culture that has religious leaders that call me an infidel and ask for my death if i don't convert to Islam. I think the question should be do these people deserve to be on the same level as rational thinking people? It would be a stretch to refer to these lunatics as intelligent humans.
How old are you? The Muslims saying that are Islamists extremist, NOT the everyday, normal Muslim.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

And, I agree with you wholeheartedly, every county, has it's idiots...let's, just not split hairs, and say one is worse than the other, simply because, that is what you, or I was brought up to believe ...we, all have our own patriotism to our own religious beliefs which we hold dear.

I, hate war and, yes our leaders are on, many wrong paths, but not just the Americans.

I, think we can be friends...in the scope of the universe this is a very small world we live on.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andronian

And, I agree with you wholeheartedly, every county, has it's idiots...let's, just not split hairs, and say one is worse than the other, simply because, that is what you, or I was brought up to believe ...we, all have our own patriotism to our own religious beliefs which we hold dear.

I, hate war and, yes our leaders are on, many wrong paths, but not just the Americans.

I, think we can be friends...in the scope of the universe this is a very small world we live on.

Agreed.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by DaTroof

What does the title have to do with what you quoted ?

Did this really need its own thread?
What i quoted was just one example of mindless posts from some mindless posters, not including the poster below you. Most of them are ignorant to other cultures and it is getting to the point that i feel i needed to point it out, as it is becoming a big problem, not only on ATS but elsewhere. Culture and religion can go hand in hand, especially in Islam's case.

Culture worth respecting is in a region's art, its science, song, dance, language and history. Laws and punishments that violate human rights are not worth respecting.
Their laws originate from their religion and culture which span back thousands of years. What i am pointing out is, that most Americans couldn't care less about the things they post, when in fact, they are completely oblivious to how a different cultural identity would view the situation. The Quran thread is a perfect example.

I will try to dumb myself down to live up to your expectation.

Your thread is a waste of space.

The exact people that you claim deserve respect for their culture immigrate here and try to change our culture. Is that respectful of another countries culture? And for the record they are trying to do it all over the world.

I see Iran just sentenced a Christian believer to Death! I bet he would prefer they just burn his bible. You need to get a life, seriously.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

The way the world can be cured is if the American population wakes up and chooses to live with knowledge instead of ignorance. If you truly read through most of the thread than you would know that i stated that every country has it's fair share of idiots, just that the USA has a bit more.
edit on 22-2-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)
LOL, are you for real bud? America is the land of freedom, people come from all around the world to live here, why?? Think about it. Our founding fathers did something that no other country had ever done or had the balls to do, a real Constitution and bill of rights.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharpenmycleats

What i quoted was just one example of mindless posts from some mindless posters, not including the poster below you. Most of them are ignorant to other cultures and it is getting to the point that i feel i needed to point it out, as it is becoming a big problem, not only on ATS but elsewhere. Culture and religion can go hand in hand, especially in Islam's case.

Culture worth respecting is in a region's art, its science, song, dance, language and history. Laws and punishments that violate human rights are not worth respecting.
Their laws originate from their religion and culture which span back thousands of years. What i am pointing out is, that most Americans couldn't care less about the things they post, when in fact, they are completely oblivious to how a different cultural identity would view the situation. The Quran thread is a perfect example.

The exact people that you claim deserve respect for their culture immigrate here and try to change our culture. Is that respectful of another countries culture? And for the record they are trying to do it all over the world.

I see Iran just sentenced a Christian believer to Death! I bet he would prefer they just burn his bible. You need to get a life, seriously.
Isn't the USA imposing their culture over the world? They have introduced western democracy and it's values to the Middle East. Now i agree, they do immigrate to heaps of Western countries, mine included, but that's what makes up a milticultural society.

I don't have any problems when someone wants to bring their culture over, only when they try to impose their laws. The Muslims whom are doing the whole Sharia Law thing are only a minority.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Your Australian?? A country where it is against the law to own a handgun for protection.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharpenmycleats

Isn't the USA imposing their culture over the world? They have introduced western democracy and it's values to the Middle East. Now i agree, they do immigrate to heaps of Western countries, mine included, but that's what makes up a milticultural society.

I don't have any problems when someone wants to bring their culture over, only when they try to impose their laws. The Muslims whom are doing the whole Sharia Law thing are only a minority.
Thats a load of BS, just ask the people of France and the UK about the overwhelming Muslim problems in their homelands.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Your Australian?? A country where it is against the law to own a handgun for protection.
An Australian citizen is allowed to have a handgun, if we have a license and keep each pieces (Gun, ammo, mag etc) in different lockers.

But yes i am an Australian, where guns in general are illegal to own.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by discharged77

I can see the problems happening in the UK and France. However it is not happening in Australia, or the USA, or any other Western country, so wouldn't you say, it is only the minority?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I can see the problems happening in the UK and France. However it is not happening in Australia, or the USA, or any other Western country, so wouldn't you say, it is only the minority?
WHAT!!!?? If it isn't happening in America or Australia then its not a problem?? NO, all of western civilization is important, we have collectively forged a civilization of culture that has collectively made the world a better place to live. Have there been problems? Yes. Have there been lives lost unjustly? Unfortunately yes. But if we learn from our mistakes and move forward we will do even greater things in the future.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

WHAT!!!?? If it isn't happening in America or Australia then its not a problem?? NO, all of western civilization is important, we have collectively forged a civilization of culture that has collectively made the world a better place to live. Have there been problems? Yes. Have there been lives lost unjustly? Unfortunately yes. But if we learn from our mistakes and move forward we will do even greater things in the future.
"...Or any other Western country." It is only a major problem in the UK and France. Of course, it doesn't diminish the fact that it is a problem. I agree with your last 3 sentences

edit on 22-2-2012 by daaskapital because: 3 instead of 2

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hypocrisy+ Ignorance+ Arrogance+Selfishness = American(western) culture.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm

Respect + Discipline + Kind heartedness = Asian culture

History + Religion + Etiquette = Muslim culture

A huge difference between the Muslim and Asian cultures and the Western World's aye

edit on 23-2-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Religion all over the world causes both internal and external problems depending on whether or not they follow their individual religion religiously (I think you know what I mean). There are extremes in all religions - some we call fanatics but some take the middle road and as with Christianity some people call them selves Christian but never go to church others are very orthodox and follow the words of the Bible literally. Muslims do a similar thing though more of them are indoctrinated (for want of a better word) from a very early age. Whereby Christians tend not to do this though there are many examples of indoctrination without mentioning any particular sects.

We also have to recognise that though in the Middle East we have a section of society who are highly educated as in the West. Due to poverty or cultural reasons or because of a war torn environment, many do not have the opportunity of even a basic education. These are often the people who are easily prayed upon and brain washed by the more extreme members of any religion hence, extremism is developed.

But in either case it has to be acknowledged that the burning of ANY holy book is highly disrespectful and where ever there are cases such as this - we can expect trouble whether it be from Moslems or Christians - neither culture would accept such behaviour. However, this said - a more educated society though they would be extremely upset at such an action would in the end (we like to think) balance the situation - show their disgust and ensure it doesn't happen again.

If we return to the fact that a larg proportion of Middle Eastern Populations tend to stem from a less educated group of society (in particular in Afghanistan) then we can understand surely their reaction to the burning of this their holy book - these people place a huge respect for high place this Holy Book holds within their society.

There are many Christians who have the benefit of education that would react in an extreme way to the burning of the Bible. I myself would be one of them - however, as I do have an element of education I would not kill some one because of it. Those in the Middle East who also have the benefit of higher education would I'm sure react also in a more balanced way.

Now in the USA it is assumed that via schooling that this is recognised and I do know as the OP to this thread and most members know that US citizens who have had a decent education would also react to the Bible being burned in a balanced way - they would be extremely angry but would recognise that this does not warrent killing anyone over it. However as the OP in this thread rightly points out - many Americans do not react accordingly and can't seem to understand how different cultures can hold such high regard for their religious books or even incorporate the words of their religion into their Political Systems but they do and this has got to be respected.

In the West we separate religion from politics hence don't see the extremism that could result from a joint system. If our politics did mix with religion - you would see many extremes in our laws because the laws of the Bible would be used to guide society.

Without respect for one and others cultures/religions we can never have multiculturalism and their was once a time when each culture remained where they have been for hundreds of years until we began to trade with one another and had it stayed that way we would not have had the problems experienced today as in the UK and France and yet to take hold in the US. However, along with trade comes the mixing of cultures and it is not going to go away.

In the days of Black Slavery - those forced to live in a strange Country eventually were indoctrinated into adopting the culture of that country - 'When in Rome - Do as The Romans do' a similar thing happened with the Native Indians and the Aborigines but we lost something very important to human society - we lost the essence of an ingeniousness group of people whos' whole culture was is and always will be built upon respect. And whether we like to face it or not - that is something we have sadly lost in our Western Cultures - there is very little respect left for those who walked and lived before us - for the wise among us - for Parents - for religion - for authority - for all the things that help maintain balance and structure in any society.

If War does not come (and I pray it does not) then these are the things we need to consider after ridding ourselves of the corperate/businesses that rule our societies - these are the things that build balanced, honest and caring societies and these are the thing we need to learn from the many cultures around the world who value the word respect for one another.

You will always find people who rebel no matter what system is in place and you will always have extremes but if we don't find the middle road we are surely doomed and will never be able to live together - then what will happen to trade?
The Op is right in my view.
edit on 23-2-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Couldn't have said it better myself

A great reply, and one coming from a member who is very well versed in cultural identities and respect that goes hand in hand with religion. Star for you

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Well this thread took a wrong turn. You can't generalize a whole people. There is a lot of dumb everybody in the world.

The OP just turned into one of those people he said he hated in the Qur'an burning thread.
edit on 23-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join