It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans Are Ignorant To Other Cultures. AND I'M SICK OFF IT!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
. There is more to the story. but hey, How many more than 2 Americans will be killed in retaliation, for burning Books.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am an american and I agree that some americans don't know much about other cultures. That being said, as you and other posters on this thread have mentioned, we are not alone in this assessment.

I always try to convey my thoughts in a manner in which others can kind of SEE my explanation through my eyes. Not to diminish anyone's opinion but to add another piece to the puzzle of understanding. Do I always manage this? Probably not, hell I've confused myself just typing this. Anyway...

Any number of factors can contribute to why SOME people don't know much about other cultures. Geography, religion, beliefs, government etc. I make it my business to try to understand other cultures, ways of thoughts, points of view and still I maintain a pride in my culture and country (not EVERYTHING my country does but historical moments of american pride lol). So, I get upset when broad statements like "most americans" are used in these types of threads. And then to make matters worse, posters justify this with "I didn't say ALL americans...", never realizing that by saying most, you are saying a greater number people don't understand vs those that do, which IMHO, is not the case.

I hope your rant gives you the relief you're looking for. You shouldn't take this stuff so seriously. Although this website seems huge memberwise, it's still only a small part of the global population. Wait, I don't know if that's good or bad...anyway. We do this because we enjoy it. If there was no discord, it would be pretty boring.

I better stop now while I'm ahead

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
several things ..
1 . the education system
2. outside of military service most americans dont / wont travel to other countries. very few americans have passports and even fewer actually travel and use passports.

might be a different world if americans started to travel beyond their country and saw for themselves how much their media and beloved masters erm.. leaders have lied to them about the world outside amerika.. once they got over the initial shock of learning how badly they've been lied to ...

find it rather amusing americans far more xenophobic than us japanese are .. yet they claim to be openminded...

one day americans may grow up and become civilised ... if they dont destroy the world first..

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mentalistbee

Yes I do read - I read a lot in fact and also read your response - you must admit it wasn't exactly clear however, I am apologetic for the misunderstanding but you are a bit rude.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Takes a lot of money to travel overseas. A lot of Americans go to Canada and Mexico though.

And I have nothing to do with Americas foreign policy destroying the world. In fact 99.9% of Americans don't. PLUS a lot of European countries and other allies sent troops to Iraq and Afghanistan right along with ours. Japan even sent troops.

France started the whole Libya thing. Then Obama sent drones without congressional approval. Congress sued Obama and NOTHING happened.

The world has been taken over by corporations and banks. It is a global problem, not just America.

edit on 24-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by repeatoffender

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by daaskapital

I am "sick and tired" of (American bashing) threads...such as yours.

People have the right to express themselves on ATS as long as they follow the T&C's.

(In some members posts)...maybe they are right...maybe they are wrong...each member has a right to say... what they want to say.

You don't like some of the posts...then ignore them and move on.

not everyone on this planet thinks that america or americans are gods chosen people. infact i think that opinion only exists inside americas own dimension of existance that place where the entire universe revolves around them and america itself is an entire planet with mount olympus on it and zeus is still alive on top and this planet america emits its own light and heat to save us all, like a beacon, yeah, a beacon, of democracy and liberty.
man what happened, shake that off

Show me a country that has more visa requests than the USA and I will believe your rhetoric you posted. Just another jealous non american hater. We are so use to people like you that your voice is mute and your opinion is moot.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
the op's post seems dumb. The op comes on saying blah blah most Americans are insetive to other cultures, but at the end the op says not to take it personaly. One can say if Americans are to not take it personaly should not everyone not take it personaly.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
the op's post seems dumb. The op comes on saying blah blah most Americans are insetive to other cultures, but at the end the op says not to take it personaly. One can say if Americans are to not take it personaly should not everyone not take it personaly.
I was just telling the truth

Most, NOT all Americans are retards when it comes to general knowledge of other cultures.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

the problem with the word most means anywhere in between 50.00000000000000000000000000000000001% and 99.999999999999999999999999999%. why dont you narrow it down some

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint

the problem with the word most means anywhere in between 50.00000000000000000000000000000000001% and 99.999999999999999999999999999%. why dont you narrow it down some
Dude, settle down
it's all for laughs anyway. But you have to agree, some Americans on ATS are ignorant.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The problem with burning anything is that it looks badly for the nations of the parties involved. No-one has any pride any more.

If someone from the UK burned a Quran, or ANY kind of Holy Book relating to any religion, the UK as a whole looks bad, and only serves to piss off the party that uses that book.
The same as when there were pictures of Muslims burning the American flag outside the US embassy.

And I can't say which happened first because I don't know, but either way, it's becoming a tit for tat situation, when people should be more interested in respecting each other, regardless.
If someone purposefully ran over my cat, I'm not going to run over their child in retaliation. Whats important to some is not as important to others.

Hate and ignorance breeds hate and ignorance.

The fact is, the parties involved in anything like this, are a minority, white supremacists or muslim extremists. They don't answer to or for the whole.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

The Muslims saying that are Islamists extremist, NOT the everyday, normal Muslim.

There are a hell of a lot of extremists out there. Also, why is there never public outcry from the normal, every day Muslims when atrocities are committed by their sharers of faith? If someone defiled my faith I would speak out, moderate Muslims should speak out too, otherwise it makes them look as if they don't care what's happening. I would be proud of any of my Muslim countrymen in the U.K who would publicly speak out against these extremists but I don't see it or hear about it.

For the thread, I believe it's unfair to generalise on Americans like that, as has been said many times here and it's worth saying again is that every Country has it's mixes of those who are ignorant and those who aren't, the opening post is therefore ironic.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
double post
edit on 14-3-2012 by tmar11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Excuse me, but it's not just Americans, it's everyone in the entire world. I see so many people from different countries that hate AMERICANS because of things they've heard, movies they've watched, or an American poster on ATS. Not every American is the same, just like not every human is the same. You're throwing everyone into the same pot, and that's an ignorant thing to do. You can rant all you want but stop generalizing.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join