It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excited Young People Film Strange Aerial Phenomenon In Oroville, CA.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
How do we do that? I mean, proclaim something to be 'fake' with nothing more than a brief glance at a video that has been reformatted to begin with, for You Tube?

How many genuine CGI professionals come to ATS instead of going to work?

On the other hand, how many self-anointed 'desk'perts do we have? Hmmm?

How do we deny ignorance by calling something either real or fake, with no more proof than someone else's word... or our own opinions?

What happened to just keeping an open mind and calling something merely interesting, without tossing it off a cliff?

If there is anything really fake (talk about an oxymoron!) it has to be some of those who seem to have no other purpose than to plant seeds of negativity with every picture or video or theory that breaks the surface.

That's just one person's opinion; my own. Nothing more. nothing less.

Have a nice day

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
How do we do that? I mean, proclaim something to be 'fake' with nothing more than a brief glance at a video that has been reformatted to begin with, for You Tube?

How many genuine CGI professionals come to ATS instead of going to work?

On the other hand, how many self-anointed 'desk'perts do we have? Hmmm?

How do we deny ignorance by calling something either real or fake, with no more proof than someone else's word... or our own opinions?

What happened to just keeping an open mind and calling something merely interesting, without tossing it off a cliff?

If there is anything really fake (talk about an oxymoron!) it has to be some of those who seem to have no other purpose than to plant seeds of negativity with every picture or video or theory that breaks the surface.

That's just one person's opinion; my own. Nothing more. nothing less.

Have a nice day

The deskperts as you so eloquently put it, have at least shown something to back the claims of hoax up. All you have done is rely on a youtube video, which other posters have shown that there are red flags in terms of credibility.

The only one going off of a word to back their point up is you and the OP and the op has seemed to of backed off.

I have a secret for you. True skeptics come into these threads HOPING to be proven wrong. We want to believe. But we wont just blindly bite into the apple until we wash it, and inspect it for poison. Don't mistake vetting for negativity. Weve just been through the song and dance of "proof" without legitimate proof for years.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Great footage. This year should be pretty good for sightings caught on camera.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Living near DFW airport, one of the busiest in the world, I see this exact same thing on a nightly basis. On a clear evening, I can see the planes lining up 30-40 miles out. It would be very easy to mistake these for UFO's if someone didn't know what they were looking at.

Besides....25 miles to the south of Oroville is Bealle Air Force base. U2's, Drones, a few F16's, who knows what they fly out of there these days.

Also, the amount of UFO videos this YouTuber has posted has me suspicious....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Interesting video, but I'll have to agree that we can't make excellent guesses on what this is until someone can get ahold of the maker of the video and get the exact location of where it was taken.
That being said, I have to speculate with other people that this is most likely airport traffic.
A few problems with what some people are saying that I have found in the comments.
--You would be able to see the lights from the VOR and ILS if it were an airport.
First of all, this is all taking place behind a pretty defined tree-line.
Secondly, VORs and ILSs aren't a form of approach lighting, so there would be no lights to be seen that you are speaking of.
--You would be able to see the control tower if it were at an airport.
Oroville Municipal is an uncontrolled field, no tower. Sorry.
--You wouldn't be able to see the landing lights if they were aircraft.
Yes, you can. While we cannot know the true distance from the video, it seems reasonable that these lights are well within the distance you might see an aircraft landing light. Furthermore, landing light positions vary depending on the aircraft, so it isn't unreasonable to suggest that even if an aircraft is paralleling the horizon in the video that a landing light on a wing would not be visible at more than one angle. Landing lights are bright for a reason, they are meant to be seen from far away. They are more useful in identifying an aircraft at night to avoid collision when in high traffic areas (such as traffic and approach patterns) then they are in seeing the runway in front of you when landing. Plus, point-and-shoot and cellphone cams always blow up points of light when in low-light situations, making them appear to be bigger and also more visible at non-direct angles.
--Airplanes don't fly like that, or that slow.
Training aircraft are ridiculously slow. And the up/down movement can be explained by climbing and descending in a traffic pattern or an instrument approach.
--At one point in the video, you can make out (and I believe they comment on) one of the lights blinking. When they zoom in really far you can see it is an object with a couple of lights on it. Seems like this makes for a good example of a small airplane and it's landing light, position lights, and beacon.

Well that's what I have to saw about those comments. Now, as far as what I thought of the video...
It started out as me thinking "whoa what is this?" I was pretty confused for a couple minutes. Then I realized, or speculated more like (because it's a youtube vid) what was going on based on what I have seen first hand numerous times.
I want to believe.

PS: And dang, people of youtube, get a friggin tri-pod or try not zooming into like 12x digital zoom! Even if you were to get a legit video of a UFO, it would just be written off because you don't know how to film properly!

Just my two cents on the vid and of what people are saying about it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The thing gets so bright eventually and they also mention airforce in the area because of the lights near the end .

Good find

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wow, there were some posts I missed... weird.

Originally posted by paulorf86
For those who pop out and say "it's an aircraft and they're aiming towards the airport", no, that's not the case because if there was an airport there that could be seen, it would, or you think that runways and taxiways don't have lights? Also, the VOR/ILS lights would be blinking and would be very easily spotted from that distance (say 5-10miles away? - you can usually see airport lights and IFR ones from about 20-25 miles on a good weather day, which is the case). Helicopters reporting traffic? Where I live helicopters don't join together and form a greater light or fly in such a chaotic path.

You wouldn't be able to make out the airport lights. Look at the video again. You'll notice that there's a lot of trees in the way. Also, the landing strip could be more elevated than where they are shooting from. That's why it's not visible. And I didn't see any lights joining together to form a greater light and they did not appear to move in a chaotic way at all. Their movements appeared very normal to me.

FlySolo
That's right! No Airport lights. You see, this is why this video is good. They stuck it out so we have daytime and nighttime footage. No bsing around regarding what the view really details. Also, according to someone commenting on her YT channel Link , they guess they're at Kelly Ridge. A part of town miles N. East of the airport. If this is the case, then there is no way these are planes. Much too far.

They guess. I'd guess they might be a bit North and West of Kelly Ridge. Look at that airstrip. Last night I should have said 10/190, not 60/240... my bad. I was looking at something else. It's 10/190 from Oroville that would line up along where they might be shooting from. And the distance from the AP to Kelly Ridge is a bit over 8 miles. Why is this much too far to be planes??

I never said they were shooting from the south of the AP. I said they were shooting south toward the AP. They are N/NE of the AP, possibly in the northern part of Oroville or outskirts of town shooting south. We know they are shooting south because of the direction of the setting sun when she pans right a few of times as dusk progresses. So draw that line N/NE. Also, I said at a minimum 1.2 miles away. That's IF she began shooting the plane just as it left the strip going 83.5mph. More than likely she started shooting it after it was well into the sky, as we wouldn't be able to see the strip due to the dense tree lines, hence why I actually think it's at least double 1.2 miles, or 2.4+ miles away as a rough estimate. Also, they might not be looking directly at the AP but in the general direction of the AP, specifically airstrip 10/190.

groingrinder
Airplanes turn on their landing lights a long way off. I see bright lights for about 10 minutes before they turn into the pattern and become blinking navigational lights.

That's what I've been saying all along. I think you may have responded to the wrong person.

bknapple32
I have a secret for you. True skeptics come into these threads HOPING to be proven wrong. We want to believe. But we wont just blindly bite into the apple until we wash it, and inspect it for poison. Don't mistake vetting for negativity. Weve just been through the song and dance of "proof" without legitimate proof for years.

Articulate! I'd like to add that some of us skeptics have had more than our fair share of high-strangeness/experiences, too. It doesn't mean we throw our critical thinking skills out the window.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It may not be aliens or whatever but its defo not 'fake'. The more you look at it with a critical mind, the more they look like planes landing and taking off. Im not completely sold, guess im 50:50

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I was looking at another vid that looked like this from Ohio, shot over Lake Erie.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
You wouldn't be able to make out the airport lights. Look at the video again. You'll notice that there's a lot of trees in the way.

But if you look at the picture, you said they are about 1.2 miles away. No trees, just open fields. But if they were at Kelly ridge then its not 1.2 miles away. Either way, both guesses are incorrect. Just for the record, here is another quote from a YT user:

Not a sham. I live nearby. This is Sierra Foothills. We hav had much activity here for years.

The Sierra foothills are south of the airport. The picture of the airport was spun around so you ARE looking from North to South BTW.

They guess. I'd guess they might be a bit North and West of Kelly Ridge. Look at that airstrip. Last night I should have said 10/190, not 60/240... my bad. I was looking at something else. It's 10/190 from Oroville that would line up along where they might be shooting from. And the distance from the AP to Kelly Ridge is a bit over 8 miles. Why is this much too far to be planes??

I never said they were shooting from the south of the AP. I said they were shooting south toward the AP. They are N/NE of the AP, possibly in the northern part of Oroville or outskirts of town shooting south. We know they are shooting south because of the direction of the setting sun when she pans right a few of times as dusk progresses. So draw that line N/NE. Also, I said at a minimum 1.2 miles away. That's IF she began shooting the plane just as it left the strip going 83.5mph. More than likely she started shooting it after it was well into the sky, as we wouldn't be able to see the strip due to the dense tree lines, hence why I actually think it's at least double 1.2 miles, or 2.4+ miles away as a rough estimate. Also, they might not be looking directly at the AP but in the general direction of the AP, specifically airstrip 10/190.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
On the video they seem to be on some sort of hill, there is a town below them. So how could they be standing on flat fields in the middle of no where?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
But if you look at the picture, you said they are about 1.2 miles away. No trees, just open fields. But if they were at Kelly ridge then its not 1.2 miles away. Either way, both guesses are incorrect.

No, 2.4+ miles away at least. But that's a rough estimate. And using 10/190 draw a line across the airstrip and a bit to the NE. They would be shooting from somewhere along that line. Not open fields, but actually houses. Maybe in Thermalito.

What I was referring to with 1.2 miles is the distance that the plane taking off from the strip from the point that she started picking it up and stopped shooting would have travelled, assuming it was travelling at about 83.5 mph.

Just for the record, here is another quote from a YT user:

Not a sham. I live nearby. This is Sierra Foothills. We hav had much activity here for years.

The Sierra foothills are south of the airport. The picture of the airport was spun around so you ARE looking from North to South BTW.

Spin it so you are looking S/SW. That would be more accurate.

And the Sierra foothills are all along the North to the East and Southeast of Oroville. The Sierra foothills is a very large area. I live in part of the Sierra foothills, in Auburn. I've been seeing these lights (planes) flying in circles ever since I moved here, and in the direction of Oroville.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Flux8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Please people, stop wasting your time on this video, your energy could be better spent elsewhere, perhaps on videos that are interesting

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I wish people would stop making silly attempts to debunk something that is clearly a UFO of some description. Time and time gain people come up with various implausible theories, that are even crazier than the UFO theory!

Time to end the denial, these things are real and have been captured and sighted numerous times, and people will still call them planes or lanterns! Unbelievable!

Great post OP.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
UFO or Aircraft, I can't say - and I won't.

I'd like to know if these kids have an address where I can send my spare tripod. Shaky video makes my head spin.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

post by 4hero
I wish people would stop making silly attempts to debunk something that is clearly a UFO of some description.

So you would rather we all just except every youtube video that claims to show UFOs without question ?

post by 4hero
Time and time gain people come up with various implausible theories, that are even crazier than the UFO theory!

So saying that this video is probably showing planes and pointing out there is an airport nearby is crazier than the UFO theory

post by 4hero
Time to end the denial

Indeed .....Just because you want them to be ET don't make it so .
edit on 21-2-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm wondering if there is any UFO footage recorded on the day of 9/11, because all planes were grounded, then peopler cannot call UFO's planes!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm in Appleton, Wisconsin and saw something similar to this a few days ago. I kept thinking it could be a helicopter, which is possible, but it was eerily similar to this. The light was not flashing, it stayed solid the whole time. It would hover in the same place for several minutes then slowly move. It stayed in the same vicinity for at least 30 minutes. Definitely did not act like a helicopter and heard no sound whatsoever. I eventually got tired of watching it and figured if it was something big it would get reported by several people. Never heard anything from anyone about it..

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by 4hero

post by 4hero
I wish people would stop making silly attempts to debunk something that is clearly a UFO of some description.

So you would rather we all just except every youtube video that claims to show UFOs without question ?

post by 4hero
Time and time gain people come up with various implausible theories, that are even crazier than the UFO theory!

So saying that this video is probably showing planes and pointing out there is an airport nearby is crazier than the UFO theory

post by 4hero
Time to end the denial

Indeed .....Just because you want them to be ET don't make it so .
edit on 21-2-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

No, obviously dont accept all videos, but when something is blatantly obvious, and people still try poor attempts at debunking, it's just making them look silly!

Who said the video is showing planes? I certainly didnt, get your facts right! Obviously they are not planes!

I know they are not craft from our planet dude, that is all I'm saying. I have seen similar sightings in the UK, no where near an airport! These are not planes or any craft we have here on Earth.

What is is with you debunkers trying to twist people's words around?
edit on 21-2-2012 by 4hero because: spelling

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8

Originally posted by FlySolo
But if you look at the picture, you said they are about 1.2 miles away. No trees, just open fields. But if they were at Kelly ridge then its not 1.2 miles away. Either way, both guesses are incorrect.

No, 2.4+ miles away at least. But that's a rough estimate. And using 10/190 draw a line across the airstrip and a bit to the NE. They would be shooting from somewhere along that line. Not open fields, but actually houses. Maybe in Thermalito.

What I was referring to with 1.2 miles is the distance that the plane taking off from the strip from the point that she started picking it up and stopped shooting would have travelled, assuming it was travelling at about 83.5 mph.

Just for the record, here is another quote from a YT user:

Spin it so you are looking S/SW. That would be more accurate.

And the Sierra foothills are all along the North to the East and Southeast of Oroville. The Sierra foothills is a very large area. I live in part of the Sierra foothills, in Auburn. I've been seeing these lights (planes) flying in circles ever since I moved here, and in the direction of Oroville.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Flux8 because: (no reason given)

The picture of the airport shows north E at the bottom and SW at the top of the line.

You're correct about the foothills being SE of Oroville:

But then this would mean they are looking North E. if they are looking at the airport. But as you pointed out, they are looking SW, so if they are indeed in the foothills, then it is impossible for them to be pointed in the direction of the airport.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join