It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you found alot of money....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If you found a briefcase or suitcase (not that I have, speculation purposes only) filled with say $250,000 and no contact as to who the original owner was, would you

a. keep it and celebrate
b. Try to find the rightful owner
c. Or turn it over to the police to make sure everything was legitimate all the way around
d. Other (please explain)

I'll admit I would be very tempted to keep it, It would be a real test to my conscious to do otherwise. Since I'll never encounter the situation, I'd like to know what would be your response.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
buy a house

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
When I was about 8 I found a $50 note and did the right thing and took it to the police station where they said if no one claims in after a month I could keep it.

Apparently someone claimed it, so when I found another $50 note a few years later I pocketed it and kept it for myself.

So, for your question, if there was no identification whatsoever on it, I'd probably keep it, but only because I got burned when I was a kid.

50 bucks is a lot to an 8 year old!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'd like to think I'd give it back to the owner, because I can imagine how I would feel in the same situation.
I don't think this is a question you can truly answer without being in that scenario.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
id run for the hills!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I'd like to think I'd give it back to the owner, because I can imagine how I would feel in the same situation.
I don't think this is a question you can truly answer without being in that scenario.

if you found $250,000 dollars in a suitcase, the rightful owner would probably a colombian cartel member.

now if you go to look for him so he can further fuel the coc aine trade, use that money to pay hitmen, corrupt politicians, and purchase more coc aine, go ahead.

you would be doing the world a favor by keeping the money.

second, if you've seen no country for old men, i would wipe the brief case of any fingerprints, throw it in a trash bin or weight it with rocks and thru it in a river or lake.

then i would go thru each bill, not in my house obviously, and make sure there is no gps tracking hidden in a bundle of cash. then i would burn any bands holding the cash.

after that i would enjoy it, buy gold etc, but never deposit it in a bank other than an insured safety deposit box.

edit on 19-2-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
id keep it duh. anyone with a briefcase with 250k in it probably isn't up to anything good anyway.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I personally would turn it in to the cops....besides it being the right thing to do, what if it was stolen money, or ransom money, in sequential bills? You go to spend the money by making a large purchase, or deposit it in your bank, and *BINGO* you're popped for theft or kidnapping.

I mean, it's one thing to find a $20 bill floating down the street, but something else entirely to find a briefcase of $250K.

I would turn it in. If the owner was a crook or a drug kingpin, they wouldn't go to the cops to get it back. I couldn't enjoy anything bought with money that rightfully didn't belong to me. There is more to life than money, believe it or not.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
no contact info nothing? You keep it for a month . Wait to see if anyone is going around asking about a briefcase , or puts up signs , or takes an ad in the news paper. If not then your game. and its your lucky day ! shes all yours !

cops won't put in the effort to find who's it is . and they might just lock it up , or "goes missing"

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I personally would turn it in to the cops....besides it being the right thing to do, what if it was stolen money, or ransom money, in sequential bills? You go to spend the money by making a large purchase, or deposit it in your bank, and *BINGO* you're popped for theft or kidnapping.

I mean, it's one thing to find a $20 bill floating down the street, but something else entirely to find a briefcase of $250K.

I would turn it in. If the owner was a crook or a drug kingpin, they wouldn't go to the cops to get it back. I couldn't enjoy anything bought with money that rightfully didn't belong to me. There is more to life than money, believe it or not.

"besides it being the right thing to do" HAHAHAHA i like to stare in the mirror when i need to flatter myself. There is no right and wrong. But of course you're way(not you personally) is always the right way, right? why else would we do it? or there is no right and wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
no contact info nothing? You keep it for a month . Wait to see if anyone is going around asking about a briefcase , or puts up signs , or takes an ad in the news paper. If not then your game. and its your lucky day ! shes all yours !

cops won't put in the effort to find who's it is . and they might just lock it up , or "goes missing"

really, if you find 250k and hand it in somewhere. whoever you hand it to is gonna be 250k richer. Money isn't even real, and besides everything belongs to the creator. You can't really own anything

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Found a wallet the other month... about $600 in it. I felt as if I was on some spy camera show to see what happens.

Being skint, it was a dilemma... but I looked for ID, and the wallet belonged to an 86 year old guy who was disabled and had to potter about in an electric scooter.

We drove to his address, but no one was there, and seemed as if no one had been there for a while... on further inspection, we found the address of an old folk hostel and drove there.

Asked the man behind the counter if so and so was here, and when he said yes, with a hint of leeriness in his eye, I handed him the wallet and said This is his, about $600 in it.

He looked flabbergasted and said "you don't see many honest people handing in wallets complete with all the money, these days." shook my hand and we left.

I could have really done with $600 at the time too, but karma and my conscience are bitter enemies to put up with.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

There could be many reasons people carry a large sum of cash around. perhaps they are sick and tired of banks? That concept has been raised on ATS many times.

And if it's every cent someone has, then it is the right thing to do to hand it back.

If, however, it's pocket money for a crook, including legal crooks who spend $20k a week for 2 months at a time just to sit around a villa with it's own cinema and all that crap, then I'd have no qualms.

Some people wouldn't know poverty if it bit them on the bum, and they do not have a single hard days work behind them to justify such extreme wealth while people are forced to sleep in tents - they are born into it, or fall into it. I don't pity them their losses.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I would buy lunch and supper for homeless people of my town for as long as I have money to do it. and maybe I'd buy myself a new coat

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus There is more to life than money, believe it or not.

Indeed there is. And they say that "money does not buy happiness" ... But it sure as hell helps!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

There could be many reasons people carry a large sum of cash around. perhaps they are sick and tired of banks? That concept has been raised on ATS many times.

And if it's every cent someone has, then it is the right thing to do to hand it back.

If, however, it's pocket money for a crook, including legal crooks who spend $20k a week for 2 months at a time just to sit around a villa with it's own cinema and all that crap, then I'd have no qualms.

Some people wouldn't know poverty if it bit them on the bum, and they do not have a single hard days work behind them to justify such extreme wealth while people are forced to sleep in tents - they are born into it, or fall into it. I don't pity them their losses.

poverty is a situation, not a suffering. the rich man suffers more than the poor. his sufferings differ of course. a poor man may suffer from hunger, a rich man will suffer by seeing futility of his desires

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod

Originally posted by FissionSurplus There is more to life than money, believe it or not.

Indeed there is. And they say that "money does not buy happiness" ... But it sure as hell helps!!!

Haha that reminds me of a line from Two and a Half Men.

Walden says to Alan : "Well, you know, money doesn't buy happiness."
and Alan says : "Huh.. I wouldn't know, I don't have either."

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
poverty is a situation, not a suffering. the rich man suffers more than the poor. his sufferings differ of course. a poor man may suffer from hunger, a rich man will suffer by seeing futility of his desires

Oh that sounds horrible!!!

I'd agree that poverty isn't suffering. I'm what you'd call poor. After I buy the things I need for 2 tweeks, I often have no more than a few coins to rub together, but I don't want much, so I don't feel the anguish of not having the fanciest toys and latest gadgets.

A comfortable chair does me ok.

But you don't consider the way poverty affects your outcome. Should anything happen, and you cannot make ends meet, your entire world is thrown around.

That doesn't happen to someone with more wealth than brains.. For them, security means a big burly man guarding the vault, whereas to someone like me, security is knowing that I'll be able to buy food next week.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Your moral compass is not only broken, I don't think you've ever had one. Un-fricking-believable that you don't understand the difference between RIGHT and WRONG, or that there even IS a right and wrong. Yikes. I feel sorry for you.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
If you found a briefcase or suitcase (not that I have, speculation purposes only) filled with say $250,000 and no contact as to who the original owner was, would you

a. keep it and celebrate
b. Try to find the rightful owner
c. Or turn it over to the police to make sure everything was legitimate all the way around
d. Other (please explain)

I'll admit I would be very tempted to keep it, It would be a real test to my conscious to do otherwise. Since I'll never encounter the situation, I'd like to know what would be your response.

D. I would call the police anonymously everyday for 30 days to see if anybody claimed it. If so, return it. If not, I'd get my house completely self-sufficient with power, water, and food then set up shop in town and sell various crafts made by homeless people.

Or maybe I'd buy 250,000 random items from the dollar store and ship them to unsuspecting natives in the far arctic regions who have zero use for any of them. Then film the lives that are impacted in the following years by this useless garbage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join