It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI May Shut Down Internet On March 8

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Highergrounds
reply to post by Swills

It's all over the internet,yahoo news open your eyes and let your finger do some typing.

I actually dont care if they send me a personal email....

Dear gonzo...

We have a virus issue and we are closing down the internet for repairs..

Miss you FBI

its still absolute tripe... the Feds will not shut down the whole internet because of a DNS exploit issue.. like you would patch it... i mean i would patch it, and i know there boys get paid more than me....

at least in march i'll get two days where i dont need Sensationalist journalism and Lies with huge plot holes!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

This all reminds me of a joke email that got sent around in about 2001.

something along the lines of :

Dear internet user, please be aware that on the 8'th of March 2012, we will be cleaning the internet. This is to remove all the clutter and rubbish that has accumulated on the internet, We advise you to turn off your computer and unplug your network cable. Failure to do this may result in the deletion of your personal data and files.

Yours sincerely,

The Internet.

Much like the :

Dear internet user, this Email is to inform you that you have been infected with the Manual Virus. As it is a manual virus, you are now directed to go into your C:\Windows folder and delete random files, and then into your C:\Windows\system32 folder and delete at least 20 dll files. You are to then go into your contacts and forward this EMail onto all of the people in your contacts folder.

Thank you.

Dear world, We, the FBI, will be shutting down the internet on the 8'th March 2012. We will do this because we OWN the internet, and rely on the fact than you have no idea how it works in order to achieve as much lulz as possible. We will expect a backlash of inaccurate claims and forum posts in regards to this, but ultimately, we will have the last laugh. Also, we're on your computers haxoring your pr0nz..

Regards, the FBI.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Any ISP affected by this will be bleeding customers as soon as it happens, so they will be right on top of this if they have not dealt with it already. After that, what's the worst that could happen. Wikipedia might go down for 30 minutes or so til they fix it.

Think about what the virus does just for a second, it's a DNS changer, that's it. It cant make your computer explode or wipe the contents of your hard drive, it's just a little prank of a virus which changes some numbers that allow computers to connect to each other.

It's all over the internet,yahoo news open your eyes and let your finger do some typing.

Remember how technically uninformed people went hysterical over Y2k? Yeah.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Lazyninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Given that the internet is global, I doubt the FBI could "shut it down"

Its more like, some people will be inconvinienced. The net is a multi headed monster now.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Given that the internet is global, I doubt the FBI could "shut it down"

Its more like, some people will be inconvinienced. The net is a multi headed monster now.

The FBI are only shutting down their OWN DNS servers. Nothing to do with the internet, but for those people who were affected by the malware which changed their PC DNS settings to point to the hackers own DNS server, which the FBI responded to by intercepting that traffic to ensure that people are not going to fake websites as directed by the hackers DNS servers, then when the FBI turn theirs off, people affected will not be able to access the web.

The title of this thread and the news article it comes from is akin to the church saying "GOD shuts down the sky" during the next solar eclipse.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
The Internet's Achilles' heel is the root DNS system. If they kill that, they can kill global DNS. The simple way around this is to run your own local, non-authoritative DNS; and barring that, to maintain your own /etc/hosts.

That by itself won't necessarily cause massive disconnections, no; but the next step would simply be to make phone calls to the major phone carriers, who could be counted on to capitulate to government instructions; at least as long as it wasn't permanently bad for business.

You people NEED to learn about this stuff. None of you know about it any more. You don't use IRC, you don't use Usenet, and you barely use email unless it is with Google. To you, Facebook and YouTube are the entire Internet; which makes it horrifyingly simple to take the entire net away from you.
edit on 17-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Don't make me laugh! The FBI are just a group of police investigators in the United States of America.

Just police investigators guys. Some people - the FBI as well so it seems - have been watching to many movies.

Just move servers out of the USA and tada!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Highergrounds

A lot of miss conception in these statements, let me shed some light in there my friend.

Hijacking the DNS of a computer is nothing new. Been happening for many years. Server 2000 with SP-2 had a nasty hole that SP-3 fixed. Port 143 or 149 if I remember correctly. SMBdie could reboot almost any Server on the planet back then. There is something else going on.

-Primary the DNS hijacking they are talking about is highjacking the world's main DNS routers the ones at the root of it all effectively crippling down all the others under them which would render the world unable to resolve domain names to IP which renders you unable to browse to any site unless you type in the IP of that site.

-Highjacking a personal PC's DNS is simply modifying the DNS server its use with your own that are usually setup somewhere on a hacked remote server somewhere in teh world... Therefor whenever somebody tries to go somewhere you can sniff all of the DNS request and communication and know exactly anywhere they go on the net.

-Should one just modify those settings on invalid address that doesn't exits it would stop only the computer that's got the bad settings not the entire internet.

-Indeed there was an exploit in 2000 that allow you to remotely boot a machine however there were also exploits in NT/XP that allowed anybody with minimal linux knowledge to simply compile an exploit I won't mention cuz don't want to take responsibility for anything some kids could do cuz its "that simple..." and 5 seconds after you press enter you get prompted with C:/WINDOWS: *blink* and your logged in as Admin ... no need of backdoor it lets you right in... then you can install backdoors...

Now the above mentioned is pretty scary and technically right up to the point where I'm still wondering why your talking about a exploit affecting windows machines when all the DNS servers relevant and notable to be spoken of in this thread runs on Unix environment or derivatives like Unix/BSD?!?

Shutting down the Internet will not fix a hacked or compromised Server or workstation or home based PC. Something else is going on.

They want control over the internet and have a kill switch so they can use it as leverage on other countries, remember once they have the kill switch it doesn't only apply to ALL of the internet, it can be applied to portions of it... Now what would happen lets say of a country refuse to comply they could shut them off the internet... This would create economical chaos to a country.

Just imagine a second and take India in consideration most of its middle class could be destroyed just by cutting off the internet for 2-3 weeks... Imagine U.S want something from India and India says no... U.S go on the news and says India with Talibans... U.S use rights to cut off internet to terrorist... India lose internet... All internet based companies are put to an instant stop... Most of India's middle class work in callcenters which are all contracted by exterior business... Those business must have enough people on their floor to support the service level therefor they can't wait two weeks running on 25%ish workforce... They will run to other 3rd outsourced services... India unemployment goes from not bad to hell in 2 weeks...

Their population would be completely fuming and revolts would start... People are internet addicted I work in tech support TRUST ME...

Second they could literally shut a country off the internet, bomb their TELCO's to kill the LAND/Cel phones and than just bomb the sh!t out of them and nobody could post the attrocities on youtube like its happening rightn ow to slow them down...

www.thedailysheeple.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-2-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
As some have alluded to this is a sensationalist headline. The Internet will be fine on Mar 8,9,10,11....Only those infected would suffer and, quite frankly, they should for being so inept.

brill
edit on 17-2-2012 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
As some have alluded to this is a sensationalist headline. The Internet will be fine on Mar 8,9,10,11....Only those infected would suffer and, quite frankly, they should for being so inept.
You got it. starred.

Probably less than 1 person in 100 has this malware, but for that one person, yes it will seem like a shutdown when the servers go offline.

So what? If you have malware, clean it before then; problem solved. Video posted on page 1 to show you how to do it. For people who don't have malware infections, March 8th is a non-event, you won't notice anything.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked

Your post is a blessing to my eyes, as for years many here in ATS has been telling exactly the same thing but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Yes people finally needs to wake up.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by krazyiven
i really hope this is just another conspiracy and nothing actually happens

Are your DNS settings compromised? Are they currently pointing to the FBI DNS servers? I mean, they'd only be pointing to the FBI DNS servers if you were attacked by the malware.

If they are, then you're going to have to change your DNS settings before the 8'th.

Or else you're going to have NO internet, because the FBI DNS Servers, which were put in place to take traffic away from the Hackers DNS servers, are going down then...

So if people are too ignorant to fix their OWN PC.. then, so be it.

On the other hand, if you're not pointing to the FBI DNS servers, and you were not a victim of the malware that changed your PC DNS settings to point to the hackers DNS servers, then you wont notice a thing.

Scary stuff huh.

Huh? The article said

Last year, authorities in Estonia apprehended six men believed responsible for creating a malicious computer script called the DNSChanger Trojan. Once set loose on the Web, the worm corrupted computers in upwards of 100 countries, including an estimated 500,000 in America alone. The US Federal Bureau of Investigation later stepped up by replacing the rogue Trojan with servers of their own in an attempt to remediate the damage, but the fix was only temporary. Now the FBI is expected to end use of those replacement servers as early as next month and, at that point, the Internet for millions could essentially be over.

Who, exactly, will be affected? Security company IID (Internet Identity) believes that half of all Fortune 500 companies and more than two dozen major government entities in the US are still currently infected with the worm as of early 2012. Unless they take the proper steps to eradicate the Trojan from their systems, millions of users worldwide will be left hog-tied, helplessly attempting to navigate to nonexistent servers and, in effect, without the Web.

Er.. Why would any DNS point to FBI servers.. I thought the DNS you use was largely a function of the ISP your getting service from.. Sure, you can use any DNS like OpenDNS if you choose and I can see a virus coming along and changing the DNS you use without you knowing it.. but isn't there a backup DNS in your PC? Wouldn't it be just a simple DNS change and Poof.. fixed? Just call your local ISP and ask for the correct DNS to use??

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You got it and it's amazing to me. I'm not bad on the "puters and internetz", but I'm no system analyst either. I get such a hoot of how the sensationalist "lamestream" media can whip the ignorant and uneducated into a froth over half truths and partial information..."The FBI is going to shut down their back up servers they were using and it's going to kill some people's ability to get online because they have a malware infection"...pause "let's release a story that the FBI is killing the internet"..."that will get some viewers and web hits"...

Seriously folks....it's not a big deal...

If you really wanna know a hoot...ask yourself why you have an NSA key in your windows registry....think about that reaaall hard....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Yes.. There is indeed something else going on.

So far it has been the inability of the 3 OP's who post this topic, to actually understand what it is that will occur on the 8'th.

I'm not repeating it. Use the search if you are scared.

FBI shut down the interwebz... OH NOES!!! Everyone download the internet nao, and save it to a floppy disk!!!!!

Are you saying that this years Purim celebration is going to get a little out of hand?

revoltoftheplebs.wordpress.com...

Seems I heard that somewhere.
edit on 17-2-2012 by musicjunkie because: cuz I put a link

EDIT: Take that link with a dash (bucket) of salt. Already one gross exaggeration has been pointed out to me that exists on it...the matter of an added zero to the total of Persians. Nevertheless, the dates seem to be in line.
edit on 17-2-2012 by musicjunkie because: Letting you know I'm capable of knowing my errors

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Damrod

If you really wanna know a hoot...ask yourself why you have an NSA key in your windows registry....think about that reaaall hard....

Type Bits/KeyID Date User ID
pub 1024/51682D1F 1999/09/06 NSA's Microsoft CAPI key [email protected]

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: 2.6.3i
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=PhHT
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Note the email addy at the top.....tis not a M$ address!

en.wikipedia.org...

That is all I'm going to say about it.

edit on 17/2/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

LMAO!...

Thank you for the input!

Funny when you really think about it

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by casenately
If the internet is shut down, I could see a civil war break out in the US. I am not joking or exaggerating. The greatest tool for mass hypnotism is not the TV. you take that away and people will believe rumor and paranoia. That is detrimental to government since it inspires these things naturally.

It would be suicide for the government. We don't trust TV as much as we did even 10 years ago. It has taken a back seat and will never drive again.

If they do this, they admit guilt basically. There will be consequences. Just saying, we will not take lightly the theft of our greatest asset.

do so at your own peril guys, just don't make any plans for the next 2-4 years.
You will have more to do than even you guys are capable of.

theres a thread about what people would do if the net were taken down, most people replied they wouldnt care.
i tend to believe them. people allow grandfathers to be shot to death while holding their grandkids, and women to be groped and scanned in airports for no other reason other than the person scanning/groping is a pervert. people will take this and they will not say a word.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Highergrounds

I don't think there is any question of whether they can do it or not. I'm certain that if our government wanted to, it could shut down the internet for Americans nationwide, or very nearly so.

The question is, what exactly could happen to force these measures?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Highergrounds

Hello friends!

i dont know its related but todays estonian newspaper
is this artikel

ohtuleht.ee...

its in estonian language but use the google,

Peace,
ekiusa

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link