It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When a scientist say,"WTF=Where're the Flares?",do you think the Big One is coming?..Next Days.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Livinston and Penn did a paper on this a while back, simply it said that sunspots will vanish by 2015. It's happened before so get your poncho's out. While we are all freezing, the world is heating up from AGW. Yep, the ideal scenario, the scientific world is both right and wrong.

wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

There is no absence, a strong one hit us just last week, or the week before, I witnessed the aurora myself, and that's in the north of England.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
No, the Big One isn't coming any time soon.
The solar regions on the near side of the Sun are small and magnetically stable. Judging from what can be seen from STEREO B things will be quite calm for a while.

If you're curious about the comment on the chart, why don't you ask the person who created it?

edit on 2/14/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Would you believe me if i told you the internet is nothing more than a Eddie Bernays and Joe Goebbels wet dream?

Its a place where memes are designed and circulated
edit on 14-2-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by Biigs

flights ot be grounded and comms/internet to go out in the worst effected areas.
And civil unrest as the communications and infrastructure will go out for a long period of time.

Don't you read. This happens every 11 years. Let's have a little history lesson shall we. Anyone remember massive civil unrest mass communications outages lasting for days etc 11 years ago . Didn't think so.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
insert Randon pic that looks important..
insert quote with no source
insert random number of x days left

Cuz panic
what should i do run for the hills or hide in my basement

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
www.theregister.co.uk...

'Not capable of destroying Earth',

In an attempt to defuse internet hysteria regarding the purported end of the world next year as the Mayan calendar long-count completes, NASA has stated that next year's solar maximum will see solar flares which are "a problem the same way hurricanes are a problem".

That's a very big problem, then. As the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) will tell you, Hurricane Katrina alone devastated three major US cities, killing hundreds of people. The Galveston hurricane of 1900 killed thousands.

NASA-funded studies have previously warned of a "Space Katrina" flare or coronal mass ejection that would devastate modern civilisation, bringing down power grids and frying satellites en masse. Food would rot, trains wouldn't move, traffic would be gridlocked, phones and the internet wouldn't work, the financial markets would be devastated, planes and ships would be lost and wrecked.

But it's not all doom! This statement issued today from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, in which we are told of hurricane-like solar flares coming, also adds reassuringly:

There simply isn't enough energy in the sun to send a killer fireball 93 million miles to destroy Earth ... even at their worst, the sun's flares are not physically capable of destroying Earth.

But:

[Solar flares are] a problem the same way hurricanes are a problem. One can protect oneself with advance information and proper precautions. During a hurricane watch, a homeowner can stay put ... or he can seal up the house, turn off the electronics and get out of the way.

So the planet may survive, but you may not, seems to be the message. However it may be reasonable to take some of the solar-flare doomsaying of recent years with a pinch of salt. As NASA notes, anyone older than 11 has already lived through at least one solar maximum of the sort coming up: and furthermore these maxima have been steadily decreasing in intensity, not increasing, over recent decades.

Some eminent solar physicists believe that in fact the Sun may be headed into a long period of inactivity in which no sunspots appear and no or very few flares occur, perhaps lasting many decades – like the so-called Maunder Minimum seen in the 17th and 18th centuries, which was accompanied by a "mini Ice Age" of very cold winters.

It may not be time to wrap all your electronics in tinfoil just yet. ®

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
nasa not using ant of the space shuttles

www.foxnews.com...

A powerful flare erupted from the sun Thursday, Jan. 19, unleashing a plasma wave that may supercharge the northern lights for skywatchers in high latitudes this weekend.

The solar flare occurred at about 11:30 am EST (1600 GMT) and touched off a massive solar explosion — known as a coronal mass ejection — aimed at Earth, space weather experts and officials said. The charged particles from the sun explosion should reach Earth by Saturday night (Jan. 21), and could amp up northern lights displays when they hit the upper atmosphere.

"Forecasters say strong geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives during the late hours of Jan. 21st. High-latitude (and possibly middle-latitude) sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend," the skywatching website Spaceweather.com announced in an alert.

Several space telescopes recorded photos and video of the solar flare, including NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) and the Solar Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). [Photo and video of the solar flare]

According to the Space Weather Prediction Center maintained by NOAA, Thursday's solar flare erupted from an active sunspot group called Region 1401. Another solar hotspot, called Region 1402, is also fired off a flare, the center reported.

Auroras occur when charged particles from the sun interact with Earth's upper atmosphere, releasing visible light in the process. The particles are funneled toward Earth's polar regions by the planet's magnetic field, with the northern auroral displays known as the aurora borealis, or northern lights. The southern counterpart is called the aurora australis, or southern lights.

Thursday's solar flare rated as a powerful M2-class sun storm on the scale used by astronomers to measure flare strength. M-class storms are powerful, but mid-range, types of solar flares. They fall between the weaker C-class flares and the most powerful X-class solar storms, which can pose a threat to satellites and astronauts in orbit, cause widespread communications interference and damage infrastructure on Earth when aimed directly at the planet.

SDO mission scientists have said that sunspot group 1401 has been unleashing solar flares almost daily as the sun's rotation slowly turned the solar hotspot toward Earth in recent days. On Wednesday (Jan. 18), the region unleashed an M1.7-class solar flare, they said in a Twitter post.

The sun is currently in the middle of an active phase of its 11-year solar weather cycle. The current sun storm cycle, called Solar Cycle 24, is expected to peak in 2013, NASA scientists have said.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
edit on 14-2-2012 by StAngele because: add an opion

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
the Sun has entered a new 'episode', therefore the past metrics and past assumptions are out the window... but basic physics will prevail

just like the DOW stock market
just like the Earth Core

we are in new territory, only a smattering of former inputs< results will behave as expected,
we are in uncharted territory with the behavior of the Sun ->
the Stock Market ->
the plate tectonics & mantle plumes of Earth (resulting in earthquakes in weird places at weird times)
will have much of the historical characteristics...but the scientists will be noting the events are on par with 500 year floods ~
~~ they just should not be happening with any regularity ! ~~ the 'new normal' is underway
but the establishment will be reluctant to say so, because of instilling fear in the populace

edit on 14-2-2012 by St Udio because: huh?

Originally posted by smurfy

wattsupwiththat.com...

i like the first comment that the Sun ... is a Variable Star

other posters, click the posters hyper link & be informed...

to my mind---- they are saying that the old metrics of Sun activity will be less reliable in predicting Sun activity in the present and into an indefinite future...

~sheeze didn't i say that in my post, above ? ~

edit on 14-2-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Idk if this has to do with the sun but I was reading this thread and now the power went out for as long as I can see where I live in hb, ca. I know I the sun shifting causes electrical problems

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

What absence in solar flares? We had a big CME M class a few weeks ago, and if I recall a small X class too.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I heard the scientists involved in solar research knew full well that the sun is going into a solar flare hiatus and does so every so often. The world will not end due to a solar flare or to "magnetic shift" Those things happen all the time, even to our own earth, life is barely disrupted by it. This whole End of the World thing seems to be an on-going pseudo-crisis. I was thinking, shouldn't we actually be worried that since Jesus died when he was thirty three, then the real time to look forward to a Second Coming would be around 2033? Or was he 36? Or did he even exist? Why aren't we worried about Buddha coming back? Or Lao Tse? Or Mohammed? Oh, that's right, because no one had any BAD DREAMS after those people died.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Ether way no matter what happens, I do not see the end coming anytime soon, If some thing like this happens and it effects earth and the inhabitants, I don't see it as the end but a new start for those that survive what ever happens.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I believe a massive solar flare is coming soon and have been reading threads all over ATS about them and what coincides with them? You are right we simply do not have enough data from the Carrington event. We know communications will be sparse but what i worry about is nuclear plants going off line and shutting down. The power grid on Earth being devastated is not something we want to think about. It would be nice to see a doomsday television show about this but it is just ignored. How many more nuclear melt-downs do we need?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Nothing earth or civilisation changing events will occour from this. From what i understand this happens often enough.

The sun is peppered with sunspots, but none of them is actively flaring. Solar activity should remain low for the next 24 hours with only a slight chance of M-class solar flares

edit on 14-2-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GRANDJINX1
I believe a massive solar flare is coming soon and have been reading threads all over ATS about them and what coincides with them? You are right we simply do not have enough data from the Carrington event. We know communications will be sparse but what i worry about is nuclear plants going off line and shutting down. The power grid on Earth being devastated is not something we want to think about. It would be nice to see a doomsday television show about this but it is just ignored. How many more nuclear melt-downs do we need?

Let's deal with the 3 currently happening at Fukushima, before we add to the equation....

Des

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Russian scientists have been saying for some time now that the sun is going to go into an extended lull, and we're going to need to stock up on fur coats for the next 20 or 30 years.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
That's quite a leap of logic.. to assume from a few words jotted on a graph, that this means a polar shift.

Just because a scientist jots something down, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Stop fear-mongering. Sun looks quite normal. Lack of sunspot activity means a lack of flare activity. Go figure. Lack of sunspots is not "troubling." It happens all the time. Over billions of years. I know some of you would love for the sun to implode.. but alas, it's probably business as usualy for the next billion years or more.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by FreeThinkerbychoice

Humour should not be used at such a serious time of crises
And where is the humor?

Your reaction is exactly what I expected, considering that was not even replied to you. If you cannot face any criticism on a post that is more speculative than credible it clearly shows us you lack faith in your own capabilities of convincing us to be worried about a star which we have no control over in the first place let alone the technology to escape its uncomprehending power.

You clearly are an enthusiast on astronomy which I can respect, your passion shows by your unnecessary patronising replies, keep in mind though that life is short and wasting your energy to defend something that really has no relevant impact on your personal life is pointless. The universe functions by itself and I personally think wasting precious time and resources to observe something you have no control over whilst nations struggle to maintain economic integrity for its people is the reason enough to let it go.....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
That's quite a leap of logic.. to assume from a few words jotted on a graph, that this means a polar shift.

Just because a scientist jots something down, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Stop fear-mongering. Sun looks quite normal. Lack of sunspot activity means a lack of flare activity. Go figure. Lack of sunspots is not "troubling." It happens all the time. Over billions of years. I know some of you would love for the sun to implode.. but alas, it's probably business as usualy for the next billion years or more.

Bloody well said!, I couldn't agree with you more.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join