It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend any good non kindle books on Philosophy and Metaphysics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Looking to broaden my mind and learn new ways of thinking so any pointers would be of great value......

many thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by theruthlessone

Universally Preferable Behavior - A Rational Proof of Secular Ethics by Stefan Molyneux

In this book, Molyneux (host of freedomain radio, the most popular philosophy conversation in the history of man) takes a run at the holy grail of philosophy - a rational proof of morality without reference to arbitrary authority, be in State or religion. What is the good, and why should man act good? Reasoned from logical first principles, Molyneux proves why murder, theft and rape is wrong sylogisically (and entertainingly), and applies these principles universally, coming to some shocking and revolutionary conclusions. In my mind it remains uncontested logically, and if UPB is valid, it will in time change the world.

I may be wrong, but UPB is perhaps one of the most important books ever wrote.

edit on 12-2-2012 by Neo_Serf because: spelling

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Dear thetruthlessone,

Plato's Republic, Aristotle, Locke, Hobbs and Rousseau. That is the best of philosophy though I also really like Voltaire and Goethe; but, you might not understand how they are answering the same questions because they do it through stories and metaphor and you have to already know the questions to understand their stories. For occultism you have to begin with Blavatsky and Crowley, they are the most representative of their beliefs. You may not like this answer but, you cannot study philosophy if you do not study the bible, the Koran and Hindu and Buddhist beliefs. If you have studied all of those, what is the question you are seeking to answer now? Easier to pick books if we narrow the question. Peace.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Yes there are a few:
- "Kindle: Is it wrong to use a kindle?" - M. Sherman
- "You, me and Kindle" - A. Douglas
- "Do kindles really exist or are they just a figment of our imaginations" - B. Bronson

edit on 12-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I am not sure if this will help but might be worth looking into ..Will Durant www.willdurant.com... I know you can dowload pdf files of some of his works ..He is a easy read on most of the stuff I have read ............peace

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
If you haven't read "Hardcore Zen" by Brian Warner it is definitely worth picking up. You can probably find a copy for cheap on Amazon. He doesn't sugar coat anything and is pretty straight forward.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Please read:

Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
by Brian P. Copenhaver (Paperback)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Redeemer

Atlas Shrugged is always essential reading imo.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
thanks guys no apart from been indoctrinated with the bible at school i havent studied any religion as i dont feel it's me im just starting out on this road of self enlightenment you could call it

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Abandoning false concepts takes a lot of courage and wisdom, so in a sense youre already ahead of the game. If you want a barebones, built from the ground up via first principles, logical and empirical approach to truth (the only valid approach imo), check out this introduction to philosophy series from freedomain radio. Im certain youll find it incredibly useful!

www.youtube.com...

metaphysics from the ground up. enjoy!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

"All philosophy is (but) a footnote to Plato."

(But there are some who say it is a "footnote" to Parmenides, so that may be a good place to start too. :-))

edit on 12-2-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Plato was essentially more mystic than philosopher, imo. Plutonic forms are closer to wild hallucinations than syllogistic proof, as Aristotle pointed out time and time again. Socrates is where it all started, and everything we know to be true today rests upon what he brought to the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Not sure if you download torrents or not, But if you do then go to demonoid and look in their books section, There are some excellent collections of metaphysics and philosophy books.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo_Serf

Well, in all fairness, it probably all started waaay before Socrates, too, it's just that we don't know about it. :-)
But since all we know about him is through Plato, I'd say Plato is unavoidable.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

"All philosophy is (but) a footnote to Plato."

(But there are some who say it is a "footnote" to Parmenides, so that may be a good place to start too. :-))

I cannot edit my previous post because the system says I have exceeded the time frame for editing (which I have NOT), so here's the link I wanted to add:

Parmenides

(It's no stinking Wikipedia article - it'll take you directly to his fragments and discussion about them.)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thanks guys i just bought a load of books expensive sunday morning lol....

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by theruthlessone
Thanks guys i just bought a load of books expensive sunday morning lol....

Nothing wrong with buying books.
But all the essential texts are online for free, you know.

And most of all, your own thinking through, which is essential to any philosophy, is free too. Isn't it? :-)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I guess it just has to be what your looking for i can say many books but in all reality your search really matters in what you need or want to look in to. example i am really in to free will, so i look at everything form biology all the way to psychology, and evolotion I have read many classical philosophy i have been reading and studying for abot 6 years and every time i realize i am only at the start. so names of books wont help, but first knowing what your looking is the first step in turth. I know i didn't say any books but i hope that helped.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
''METAPHYSICS'' by Ethan Vorly.

It covers the basic stuff..it is available on the net...do read it!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

What did you buy; I'm curious.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join