It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright Out of Control OLYMP*C Craziness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Copyright laws and image rights etc are just becoming ridiculous now !
Listen to the phone call and lets hear your views ?

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Loved the bit about the circles, "So you actually owns the rights for the formation of the circles...."

#ing ridiculous to say the least!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

I don't know who owns the copyright to circles but I bet there'd be a fight with whoever invented the wheel about it ? ha ha ha

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

Wow. 10 million pound donation to use Olympic logos legally!!

The lady seems quite surprised that you would even consider being 'naughty' and use the logos w/out permission.

And the thought that someone actually 'owns' the word 'olympic' and the figure of a circle. haha

This is further proof of just how far corporations have sunk to ensure that they don't lose any opportunity to get an extra buck that they didn't earn.

Someday the scales of justice will finally be balanced.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sometimes you just have to laugh at the ridiculousness.

The greed, however, disgusts me.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

This really has nothing to do with copyright. It's a trademark issue. That's completely different than copyright. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to get a trademark, including that you have to use the trademark in interstate commerce, not just within a particular state. Once you get your trademark properly registered you MUST aggressively defend it or you will lose it. A good informal example is Kleenex (r). It's registered alright, but everyone calls any tissue brand "Kleenex" so the trademark value is essentially lost.

Around here we have the Olympic Mountains. An ISP set up shop with "Olympic" in the title and even had a picture of the Olympic Range in his advertising. The IOC shut him down so he had to change the name of the business. I'm surprised the IOC doesn't sue the Olympic Mountains.

A few years ago Sony sued "Sony's Restaurant," owned by a woman named "Sony." She spent about $20K in legal fees and lost. If you have an (r) next to your trademark, that puts you on the "Registered List," as opposed to just a (tm), which means you are on a preliminary list. The case law is well established and you will lose if someone brings it to court.

"Pepsi" and "Coke" are also examples. If you have a restaurant and someone asks for a "Pepsi," and you just serve them "Coke," you're in trouble. Each brand hires "spotters" whose job is to ask for the opposite and see what happens. You're supposed to say, "I'm sorry, but we don't have Coke. Is Pepsi OK?" It's the same with Sprite and 7-Up.

All this stuff is bound up with International Treaties and is taken very seriously.
edit on 2/9/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Olympic® there I said it!
the audio was funny yet sad to say the least!
edit on 9-2-2012 by punisher2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

Perhaps you could use Londinium 2012 ?
Especially if it were a toga party or summat ?
It's just mind numbingly stupid all this now though !
As for the 'aliens' making crop circles this year, they're gonna get they're
little green assets sued !

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I understand the 'trademark' issue with the olymp*c rings sure but the actual 'words' ?

That ain't trademark issue is it ?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The olympics are proving to be a massive farce in my opinion. It's just a corporate flag waving exersise.

I think the guy making that call is Danny from the Love Police. It sounds like him anyway.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Someday someone will copyright the word Peace..so we can never talk of it again.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Yes it is Danny, the Olymprix was supposed to be a boom time for
British manufacturing etc ! I spose thats why my Olymprix tea towel says 'made in China' on it ?

It's a joke at our expense and in the worst economic times in decades !

Brilliant !

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Watching the Olympic games when i was younger always interested me how as a world we can still come together and test our might against each other in fair sports despite our differences in life styles.

But as I've grown up what life was left in it is being sucked out of it. That goes for most Western life styles really...
Its a shame. Ive seen other threads on here about "whats gonna happen!" at 2012 Olympics, i hope nothing does.

i live fairly close to the games this year :/ ha....

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Thats a fascinating web they have woven.
Thanks for sharing this valuable information.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp

I understand the 'trademark' issue with the olymp*c rings sure but the actual 'words' ?

That ain't trademark issue is it ?

Yes, it is. "Olympic" and "Olympics" are words that are trademarked. The IOC has obviously trademarked other phrases, though I think the woman in the call was somewhat confused and on the spot. Trademarked words are usually brand names: Pepsi, Coke, Kleenex, but they really aren't confined to brand names. A trademark is any word, name, slogan, design, or symbol used in commerce to identify a particular product and distinguish it from others. They can be entire phrases. here are a few:

"Pepsi, for those who think young!" (dated, but still trademarked.)
"Let's get ready to rumble!" owned by Michael Buffer, a boxing announcer.
"There's an app for that." owned by Apple
"That's hot!" owned by Paris Hilton

Here's a list of names that were once trademarked, but lost it because everyone started using it, e.g. "aspirin"

Trademark law goes back hundreds of years. It isn't exactly a new or novel concept.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This isn't just limited to London.

In Vancouver, they made a guy change the name of his pizza joint "Olympic Pizza" despite the fact that he'd been there for decades.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

Easy way around this.

Just put circles around the circles that are almost touching. They would then be double circles and you could argue that there is in fact 10 circles instead of 5.

OR Just add one or too extra circles.

Everyone will link it to the games but without having to pay the sum.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Any good athlete knows that McDonalds is the most important part of a superior diet!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Genius !
London 2000 &12 !
I'll be there selling my authentic fake flags !

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

When you're blatantly trying to profit off of someone elses works or brand then I am all for a judge slapping you down. But MOST cases of trademark/copywrite "infringement" are not cases where someone is taking a profit from the corporation/individual who owns the trademark/copywrite. Judges seem to be oblivious to the stupidity of most cases.. or, most likely imo, are paid off. I'm a very big proponent of freemarkets .. and I actually view Trademark and Copywrite laws as infringing on an open market.

PS. I won't be watching the Olympics this year for fear that while watching I might catch a glimpse of that hideous, ugly, nasty giant red monstrosity, ArcelorMittal Orbit. The Brits are fracking idiots for allowing that ugly pos to be built.
edit on 2/9/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join