It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright Out of Control OLYMP*C Craziness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by schuyler

When you're blatantly trying to profit off of someone elses works or brand then I am all for a judge slapping you down. But MOST cases of trademark/copywrite "infringement" are not cases where someone is taking a profit from the corporation/individual who owns the trademark/copywrite. Judges seem to be oblivious to the stupidity of most cases.. or, most likely imo, are paid off. I'm a very big proponent of freemarkets .. and I actually view Trademark and Copywrite laws as infringing on an open market.

The problem is that the law puts companies between a rock and a hard place. They must "enforce" their trademarks themselves "in a vigorous manner." So when Sony, the person,, opened her restaurant called "Sony's" and therefore used the name in a business setting, had Sony, the company, NOT brought suit, then the next time someone used the word Sony, they could point to the restaurant and say, "See? Sony didn't protect their trademark last time, therefore they lose their trademark." This has happened.

OK: This is pedantic, but it's "copyright." A "copywriter" writes advertising copy. :-)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Oh I agree. Let them sue the poor lady. The judge however should have thrown it out for blatant stupidity. Unless someone is actually trying to capitalize off of a brand name (if she opened an electronic store named Sony's selling knock off playstations?) then there shouldn't be a case at all. The IOC imo should not be allowed to trademark ANYTHING about the Olympics.. it should be designated a World Wide public event. But we all know about IOC corruption..
edit on 2/10/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just to let you know, I agree that this kind of thing is stupid, and the IOC especially so. Just trying to explain some of the issues involved.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join