It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would YOU do if the Internet Shut Down?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hm... I guess I wouldn't be able to keep up with the outside world and would go hiking more around the mountains and plan a seasonal farming schedule, especially important during the dry season =)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

With all the talk of SOPA and ACTA and the FBI arrests of Megaupload and similar arrests against Pirate Bay it seems that we are getting closer everyday to an INTERNET shut down

How old are you? this is a trivia question,

Back in the 70s before internet and cell phones we used to have CB radios at homes in order to get in touch with people around and also to know what the police was doing.

Yes I remember all those tall antennas beside the TV ones for the CBs.

If people just remember their history lessons . . . we have come a long way since "Paul Revere" days of information dissemination in a horse, but hey it doesn't mean is always ways to keep that information going without the interent and cell phones or social media

Where is a will is a way.

edit on 10-2-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Get a job?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Believe it or not, there was life before the internet. Shocking, I know.

Personally, I think the internet dumbs down society as a whole. I have no problem against it shutting down.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
We would do the same thing as when they shut down napster

build a new one, a better one, a faster one... within a week

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I would get more household projects done. I remember life without the internet, where we got world news from 3 t.v. networks and the local newspaper. It is tempting to spend too much time on it and not get things done but I have learned so much about all different kinds of subjects that I would miss it now. I hope it has grown too big for anyone to control it or shut it down completely. But I wonder at times if these stories involving "anonymous" attacks are actually staged in order to give the government a justification for more control over the internet.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

yep I believe there would be massive protests after the first 24 hours without faceboook and twitter...followed by massive suicide....: ) hahaha

Sniper

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomten

Originally posted by thaelin
Well........ need to get that old land line back again and then get the bbs software out again. Ran a BBS in the 70/80's and it worked. Could do that way again. Just found a UR Courier 144 and a 56k both external. That old 486 would make a great server again. I grew up on USENET, not the Internet. Kind of like Dos VS Windows to me. A lot of bloat. Just depends on what you want from it. We had files, public forum, some private mail and online games behind the 'doors'.

Again...
USENET is a part of Internet.
So.. that wouldn't work either..
Unless you can find some other network who carries the USENET groups.

The Internet is a wide-ranging network, parts of which are subsidized by various governments.
It carries many kinds of traffic, of which Usenet is only one.
And the Internet is only one of the various networks carrying Usenet traffic.

FAQ: USENET

But that's exactly what a bbs system is, another network, ever heard of FidoNeT? maybe you should check it out, global scale, no internet required.

USENET is NOT part of the internet, it is carried over the internet, but that's not required at all, it can run on a bbs network like FidoNet quite easily.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You know if you all switched to Virgin Media you could do an internet shutdown drill at least once a month. Then test your anxiety levels by sitting at the phone listening to 4 songs played over and over for an hour before a numpty with strange accent picks up the other end.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by zorgon

I'd Google what to do.
Or ask my Facebook friends what to do.
Or see what Twitter had to say.

Seriously?

I'd read a book.

Drive north to Canada and log on up there.

I hope they have WiFi at the Starbucks up there.

Do i need a passport to cross the border?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The internet is addictive, especially to those of us who are information junkies,

But I have taken sort breaks from the internet, I felt better, and made a lot more jewelry,

I think we would survive.

A chill also runs up my spine when the TV goes dark,

Some studies have suggested that the internet cause depression plus withdraw like symptoms when discontinued, also rewires your brain.
edit on 112929p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Twitters are too time consuming.

Facebook is okay but i think it's a bad idea to throw too much personal info out there.

Blogs are the best.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would close my laptop and put it away.

Then go do something useful for a change!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FusionPower

Twitters are too time consuming.

Facebook is okay but i think it's a bad idea to throw too much personal info out there.

Blogs are the best.

Yea, I just don't get the point of twitter,

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Immediate feedback.

Hannity recently got started on it. I'll pass. No thanks.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If the internet shut down, I would probably play Skyrim more than I already do.

Also, someone who isn't me would probably start shoplifting CDs, because undermining the evil behemoths of the recording industry is the primary reason for someone's (not mine) piracy. (That same someone who isn't me consistently purchases music released by small, independent labels and self-released music, and refuses to pirate such. Amanda Palmer can have all of someone's money that she wants.)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Get a job?

You know if the internet shut down imagine people actually out on the streets,

What was the name of that show were everyone was living in a virtual reality and then it stopped?

Plus I remember back in the day, when people actually went outside, spent time together, the downtown was packed on any given night, now there aren't even any movie theaters there.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Most likely pick up a book.

I understand nowadays, many students purchase text books online, and access them using a device, which saves paper, and money.

The only problem with this being if computers go down, how will you access information?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
finally we all come back to life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[editby ]edit on 10-2-2012 by sabalsis1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join