It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would YOU do if the Internet Shut Down?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'd probably go get a life. In doing so, I'd probably be considerably more wealthy from said life and job.

I imagine it would be similar to getting off serious pain meds or heroin. The beginning would be hell, but in the end it would most likely be for the better.

I say "most likely" because if you've ever been prescribed an IV form of pain meds in a hospital, you'd know how delicious they are.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by zorgon

What would i do if the Internet shut down?

I'd like to say I'd be more productive....but I'd probably just go back to watching lots of TV, and actually be less productive.

Makes you think too, this is why they've got their laser sights set on the internet. We aren't paying attention to those fake msm bimbo's anymore, and it's threatening their grip on power. GRRR.
edit on 10-2-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
You'll probably guess i'm not the most tech-savvy person around when i ask this question - But could there be a way of setting up a new internet, which could run seperate to what we have now?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Start a multi-node bbs system, and make sure I exchanged upload/download data at 2am like the old systems used to... Before the internet came along and made people slack.

it would be slower to maintain a coherent synchronized system, but at the end of the day, no one expects that. In a dial up ph.. oh wait, you're all using mobiles now..

ahhahha, they have you screwed by the turnips guys, GET A LANDLINE and keep it.

wow just occurred to me, all the people who've given up landlines... you're doomed..

wow..

First line of defense in an initial shtf situ... land lines, not mobile.. oh man, they did a good one on us all there..
wont last long sure, but it wont go down right away, unlike your fancy apples and gadgets..

edit on 10-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I would be very happy. The Internet is evil.

Seriously, people are too obsessed with it and it has hindered social development in young people. There is too much false information and just too much information available to anyone, anywhere. Ignorance is bliss.
edit on 10-2-2012 by my3911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

wow i used to have one of those mic's in my younger days. The rig i own is a multimode 2 with upper and lower sidebands, AM and FM channels. Back in the day i could talk to most of europe from the uk, regualrly reaching Italy, Greece and beyond on sideband and on a rare occasion when the skip levels were right even managed Nova Scotia canada and still have the QSL cards to prove it lol. Back then though it was really popular and the airwaves jammed up, i'm wondering weather now that there wont be even 1/10 the amount of users weather or not it will improve the range? Time for a rummage round and find it all out, swr meter, ariel, power pack and mic lol. will report back when ive done it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Hmmmmm,
probably there would be nothing that makes me panic if it gets shut down. Considering millions of people that live in this planet without knowledge of the existence of The Internet are leading their life just like they used to, I am considering i will do the same. lead a productive life again
try to read from real papers, get a good long walks etc...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The Pirates would say "I have enough audio and visual entertainment due to the Internet to last years. Muahahahha!. Let them take it from me. I got what I came on the internet for!"

Seriously though. It would be absolute chaos for sure. The internet has changed the human experience and the entire human existence. TPTB know that to.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Honestly? Start packing my stuff and get ready for wait out the revolution. People have become so spoiled that tv just will not do it anymore.

spoiled?

the net is just about the only source of truth we have left.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reading the replies here, just confirms my belief that you people will just take what happens to you.

you think theyll just stop at the net?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Create it again. How can you shut down the internet anyways without a complete worldwide blackout or SWAT style raids in every little nook and cranny of the world (which still probably wouldn't work). The internet is so intertwined into society I don't think it's possible to separate it from us without some serious backlash.

Say one day a huge solar event waxed electronic equipment on one side of the planet or something, yes... people would panic I guess. Then again some people panic watching completely fictional movies.

What would I personally do? Try to get it back.
edit on 10-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'd commit suicide most likely. Virtual world is my very reason to live and I know most of you won't understand me.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I would go outside. I would read more books. I would write more books. I would write more songs. I would do all of the things I do, just more frequently.

I don't live for the internet. Yes, it's a nice tool and I can find interesting things using the internet.

But, I could live without it. I lived for quite a few years before having daily access to the internet.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Anyone ever see the show "Dark Angel"...albeit a bit juvenile (though it did begin my love for Michael Weatherly
) I picture our world to become very much in the same vein one day. Info will be completely censored. Most of it already is....think about it....drought in Texas= food shortage, no news on it. 18 feet of snow in Missouri and 20+ in alaska along with snow for the first time in Rome in 26 years, record low temps in Europe...no news on it. Job loss is lied about as well as government assistance statistics....etc etc etc. Regular normal foods we enjoy on a daily basis will become a thing of the past...as well as having the ability to grow it yourself, not just from government sanctions,...but due to contamination in our water and ground supply as well. The fact is.....we are humans and as most believe...product of science...science has many facts and one is becoming very apparent....things get worse, break down, not better. Our world will get worse, the people will get worse, greed, control, power will get worse, and the hardest part? we will not be able to stop it. There may end up being a group of us who find our ways to live as close to our wishes as possible, and who do our best to try and beat the system, but things are going to get bad. Preparation will help..but that preparation will only last so long. Its scary.

So, now that I'm done with my little rant. What will I do when the internet and free information is gone? Its simple, I will retreat to my roots. My money will be taken from the banks, my house will be either sold or left. We will be off the grid.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I have a sizable personal library, but it's in storage up north. Lucky there is a public library across the street from where I live. I will admit that I have become dependent, and too often entertained with the internet. If the internet goes down, TPTB won't be shutting us off for altruistic reasons, which means I will need to learn how to use a HAM radio and other scanning equipment.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well for one thing.... Obesity would begin to decline, namely for kids. Sure they have Playstations and X-boxes, but most of those games are only fun when role playing. The old fashion "Lets go out and play" would be re-instituted into their daily lives.
BBS's would come back and Radio Ham would be on the rise too!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
- read all the books i have pending (by this time I'm reading 3 by the same time, and there's a lot more in queue)
- paint more
- sleep more
- use the freaking phone!
- go out with my friends instead of chatting with them on facebook, skype or twitter...

and get a landline so if there's a hope of having something like the old BBS system, i'm in hahahaha

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beowolfs
reply to post by zorgon

Well for one thing.... Obesity would begin to decline, namely for kids. Sure they have Playstations and X-boxes, but most of those games are only fun when role playing. The old fashion "Lets go out and play" would be re-instituted into their daily lives.
BBS's would come back and Radio Ham would be on the rise too!

You aren't allowed to send children out to play. They have to be in their mandated cages with multiple bored adults watching them every second.

I understand the security angle, but as a person who grew up with very little adult supervision I am well aware of both the dangers and the insane stupidity of the whole thing.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'd probably start a meditation practice.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I would live.

2nd line if need be.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join