It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would YOU do if the Internet Shut Down?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Go to the library, silly.

Seriously? I would go through heavy duty withdrawal. Not because I am on it all the time, but I use it for every and any question, aches, pain, food, conspiracies, etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So if it shut down?... I would be visiting my public library on a more regular basis again... and Amazon, UPS and the USPS would probably go belly up without us. That sword cuts both way, yannow.
edit on 9-2-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A couple of days ago a line was severed between Pueblo and Colorado Springs leaving almost the entire Valley without cell phones, internet or land lines. News Article

Needless to say, people freaked out. I, somehow, had internet through it all and was able to google the problem.

My husband was a work and said he debated grabbing some things and coming for me to bug out. He assumed I would come to him if I knew/thought something was up. And he was right, had I not had internet, we may have headed into the mountains for a bit (continually checking communication devices, of course).

There was lots of hustle and bustle as everyone had to GO somewhere to talk to people. Everyone looked super worried and no one had answers, cause no one had internet.

Right before 11am that morning I walked over to my real estate agent/landlord because I thought my phone was just being dumb. (Was also dealing with no heat and no hot water, but that's a whole different giggle and a hoot.
. ) Come to find out, no one's phone works, or their internet.

Rumor (seriously, no joke) was that a tower (cell phone/internet type) was hit by a (black) helicopter over by the twin mountains.

There were lots of people at the grocery store, all trying to see if anyone knew anything.

A couple of days later I spoke with several people a town over who had filled their trunks with survival gear and started to get ready to bug out. There was (allegedly) spotted several FEMA -like trucks speeding up the pass around 11am that morning. I say "allegedly" because no one actually says they saw the letters FEMA. Only that they looked suspicious as they were all black and in convoy.

I'd say it's pretty safe to say when all communications are cut, people aren't gonna wait around long to see what's going on. At least around here.

I know, your topic was internet only, but I thought I'd share this story as it happened so recently.

People are ready. For what? Doesn't matter.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
"What would you do if you woke up tomorrow and the internet was gone?"

I'd be upset quite frankly because my girlfriend lives in another country, we haven't even got to the stage of exchanging phone numbers so our talking and hanging out is done purely through Instant Messenger and no internet means that would be pretty much over.

There's also the fact I have stuff I've worked half my life for floating around in cyberspace that I'd lose forever.

Otherwise, I'd cope pretty well without the internet.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think the only way it would affect me is not having legitimate sources of info, or world events. Over the last few years my eyes have been opened so much thanks to the internet. I often wonder what kind of views id have on the world only having the mainstream media to go by.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Get some work done around here.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If I had no internet I couldn't read books online or watch videos and I hate to hurt trees by reading books in paper. Especially if I can't play my Pokemon. I'd guess i'll end up blowing up masonic centers. Sarcasm
edit on 9-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Read books, but seriously , I couldnt live without my internet

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I've been around for 62 years - internet (WWW) been about 17-so for 45 years almost half a century I was deprived of the internet. I'd probably go outside and play. We have infinite more opportunities to just be non-participatory than when I was younger. I would miss the google, but I really love libraries too.

We have lost a lot of little pleasures with the advance of electronic communications.
edit on 9-2-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthonygillespie2012
I'd guess i'll end up blowing up masonic centers.

You ARE aware that the Masons have control of those space lasers right? And know where you live

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
i would laugh, gleefully.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
What would i do if the Internet shut down?

Easy. I'd recreate it with Radio waves as a better form of transmission. The ISP would not be as we know it - it would be a totally new and different system But it would grow to be a world wide link that allows people to communicate and share media like we do now.

Fortunately, the Internet will never go away - that would cause the whole decline of modern civilization as we know it. Too many Governments of all kinds and business rely on the internet for communication and capitalistic goals.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Since I grew up into adulthood before the internet, I'd probably survive. I'd do much more reading of newspapers, and magazines, not to mention books.

Libraries would become relevant again, not that they aren't, but even more so.

Since I discovered the interwebs, I'm an info junkie.

I'd survive, but I wouldn't much like it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If the Internet shut down I'd go back to my video games. And watch more cartoons. Um... maybe go outside more often... but I'm not making any promises.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
No internet? easy answer...Fallout New Vegas or Fallout 3, depending on which bugs i feel like dealing with that day...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hi Zorg,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........prolly go play my guitar, play a vid game, clean the house, go for a walk; now that's just me because I don't have a lot of investment into the web, never have ....however........for major Corp/small businesses/industries that's a WHOLE other ball-game..

edit to add: I will not FEAR, the sword by day nor the arrow by night.

edit on 9-2-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
to the OP question.
i would get trained in hamm radio. i think i will still. great for of communication.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I would also have to find a new way to make a living. Wouldn't be much call for network engineers. I used to build houses, yeah I'd be screwed there too. Please don't let them take my internet away.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'd have a lot more free time to read real books, spend time with those I love, and be outside.
Stupid internet is worse than coc aine

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not sure if this is worth posting with so many replies however even if the kill switch was implemented mesh internet through local wifi servers would still service the neighborhoods eventually evolving mesh tech to connect us across continents.

Research mesh internet there are many freeware which you can get using today and involve your neighbors create a co-op group.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join