It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would YOU do if the Internet Shut Down?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'd drive my bank crazy, checking (phoning) on my account often. The closest branch of my bank is 200 km away.

I'd also have to wait it out until they reverted the town back to the way it was before the internet. When the internet goes down now, due to whatever glitch happens, the town pretty much shuts down. All transactions get written on paper, and get entered manually. Our whole system here, seems to be internet based.

All the interact machines go down, and some of the gas station's pumps shut down when the internet is down. I couldn't even drive to the bank if the gas won't pump.

Paycheque deposits gone.....

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Leave my basement.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
As tempted as I am to leave 'leave my basement' as the last cryptic response, I have another to add.

As someone who spent most of my life pre-computer and certainly pre-internet, I would have a wondrous time watching all the people who have never known anything but get used to a life without. (I remember a life without teevee, and without radio either because my parents were not interested in that.)

The suicides of all the Facebook fans would just be a nice Darwinian bonus.

And yeah, then I'd go to the library more often, read and re-read one of the hundreds of books around here and really, I mean really, have a garden this year.

The bigger question the Honorable OP should ask is, 'what if the electricity goes out...?'

Y'know, if TPTB really wanted to toy with us, they would simply make the internet slower and slower and sllllooowwwweeerrrrr... and watch as the frustration caused people to simply fall into either catatonic states, or kill each other off in testosteronic fits of mass violence. Much cleaner result than letting loose a deadly virus.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

What would I do? Let's see... Use encyclopedia's to look up information. Read a newspaper (or several maybe), Go outside a little more often. Major panic because the internet shut down?? Seriously? Is this what we, as a society have become? I was born and raised in the 60's. black and white tv's with only 3 channels, no cell phones, no video games, and if we were in the house for more then an hour on weekends we better be grounded to our rooms. NO, I am not one of these people who think it was better in the old days. I worked fulltime in a foundry when I was 16 for $2.45 an hour. Sure, 5 gallons of gas would last the week but it took over 2 hrs to earn it. Now over 2 hrs wages pays for more then a weeks worth of gas (barely lol). Things may have been cheaper but the wages were too and we weren't sitting in a chair and getting our information from a box. Panic if the internet shut down?? Maybe, we don't give people enough credit. Remember the blackout that happened in not too long ago? It was nice to sit with the family, neighbors and friends and just talk.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
First, I would defend my home because the world is probably disintegrating around me; then I'd finally read "Atlas Shrugged."

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
i'd start calling the local radio stations and request my favorite songs and participate in contests...like in the old days.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I would go for a run. Probably or should I say hopefully have more s3x.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I remember life before constant computer usage. If the internet were to completely shut down, I'd rejoice. Yes, I use the tool that is the internet, but I'd quickly get over it and go do other things.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Great response!! Have we met? lol I have spent over half my life learning about and using computers and technology, but I always try to remember "the old ways" as well, i.e. today I bought some little notebooks to write on. Technology is great, but I also feel that is a trap in which the world is going to get caught in if we aren't careful. Sad but true.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
First, I would have to go into hiding for fear of all the people in my life who would be going insane without it. Once hidden away safely, I would grab a jar of peanut butter and a spoon, then proceed to read all those books I bought and haven't read yet!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper1985ca
Major panic because the internet shut down?? Seriously? Is this what we, as a society have become? I was born and raised in the 60's. black and white tv's with only 3 channels, no cell phones, no video games, and if we were in the house for more then an hour on weekends we better be grounded to our rooms.

You have kids? Take away those things for a week and get back to me

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
if the internet shut down I would build the longest slip-n-slide, nah probably not. I haven't had the internet in a while, just this watered down 3g on my phone, without that I would be bored but probably wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 8-3-2012 by strafgod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fermi
Leave my basement.

- Good one!
Like others here have said, I would probably do more reading. I have a friend who reads all the time and she's always bugging me to start reading again as I use to quite a bit.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join