It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World Is Waiting On You To Liberate Yourself From Ego!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I feel that the conceptualization of Ego I offer in the op goes beyond where east, west, and Freud stops. So please, suspend their definitions and concepts in order to better understand what I am talking about.

What is Ego in the first place? Many think it is selfishness, conceitedness, pride, or haughtiness. Some go further and say Ego is the concept of self. Why stop here? We are missing out on the full picture!

Science and academia now understand the interconnectedness and unity of existence through Quantum Physics. We understand that matter and energy continuously changes state... so much so that everything 'here' is star dust from long since extinct stars. You, me, water, trees, rocks.... all the molecules and elements are created from energy and matter that was once something else.

Since everything is composed of the same fundamental energy/matter... and  since all is interconnected, how can there be any separate things?

Simple: All is One, and Ego is the mechanism that creates the superficial illusion of separateness within the One. Ego helps to create separation, which in turn allows perspective, subjectivity, and relativity, which then allows for individualism to emerge within the All-One.

How does this understanding play out in our real lives?

• Firstly, this tells us that individualism is the entire point of life. If we were supposed to be in the stillness and unity of All-One right now, then relativity, perspective, and subjectivity would not even exist. Concluding: We are to embrace diversity amongst All. Be as 'different' as we so will, and accept the 'difference' in others.

• Relativity, perspective, and subjectivity are the mechanisms that promote individualism. This tells us that we should embrace personal experience, embrace personal observation. Be the ultimate experiencer and observer. Concluding: carpe diem!

• When we understand the false illusion of superficial separation... we fear less, hate less, and cause less suffering to others. Why? Because we know that All is One. It is unwise and foolish for Self to fear Self, or for Self to hate or hurt Self. Concluding: Peace, Empathy, Compassion.

• When we understand the concepts I have discussed in this thread, we gain freedom and are liberated from Ego. There is nothing to disapprove of... nothing to kill... nothing to suppress or demonize. Understanding in itself is freedom.

Final Conclusion: At the same time, we are the individual tree as well as the forest. We are the droplet as well as the ocean. Experience and Observe this life to the fullest, with the knowledge that All is One.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Summarizing, what i understood from your message was:

We are one being living a lot of lives, unity in diversity. Our individuality is to be celebrated, we all are special, irreplaceable beings, we are special and unique, diversity is to be celebrated and treasured, the one being wants to live a lot of different experiences, so all the egos that were created, were created to be fully lived as such.
But no one is better or worst, everyone is unique and special and we should cooperate with each other instead of competing to be the best of the group.

I totally agree with this.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Manula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The concept of "ego" and "liberation" are equally delusional; equally ignorant. The same mind that conceptualizes this idea of "ego", is the same mind that conceptualizes the idea of "liberation". Both are qualities, yet that which is aware of these qualities has no qualities itself and thus cannot speak of ego or liberation. The very "I" who seeks to liberate himself from ego, is the ego. The very thought that seeks to let go of the "I"/ego thought, is the "I"/ego thought. So 'you' cannot liberate yourself from ego, that is impossible because 'you' are "ego".

See this and be done.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There is only the idea of "ego" and the idea of "liberation from ego" because the mind is fragmented and conflicted with superficial divisions. "The ego is bad", "I must overcome the ego", "The ego is not bad, it is needed", "There is no ego"... all of this stems from division and fragmentation. There is the supposition that there are two separate entities within the being, an "I" and the qualities of "I" such as an "ego", and thus the being is fragmented and conflicted with division. The same goes for concepts like "good" and "bad", "right" and "wrong", and so on. There is the seer and the seen; the thinker and the thought; the observer and the observed.

Yet, who or what sees the seer; thinks the thinker; observes the observer? This one is one with no division, no fragmentation and thus no conflict, because 'it' is one without qualities (division).

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Instead of western, eastern, or Freudian concepts of ego, I have gnosis of Ego as the mechanism which casts the illusion of separation. Ego is that which causes fragmentation, division, and separation from that which experiences the experiencer and observes the observer. It is the way in which the All-One can experience its Self. I understand 'physical reality' to be of an all-encompassing fractal nature, infinitely micro and macro. This essence of existence... this infinite timeless and formless consciousness must utilize Ego in order to experience something other than the stillness.

Do you agree that existence is co-dependent, co-originated, interconnected, and impermanent?

Do you agree that we experience superficial separation and individuality through relativity, perspective, and subjectivity?

Do you agree that we experience no separate self, stillness, peace, and unity through mindfulness, meditation, and understanding?

How do you reconcile the experience of "separation" with the experience of "no separate self"?

We can say "it is what it is", or "this is because that is", but how do such concepts actually address the state of existence or mankind?

May we grow in understandings. Peace be to you my dear friend.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Do you agree that existence is co-dependent, co-originated, interconnected, and impermanent?

All conditioned phenomena? Yes.

Do you agree that we experience superficial separation and individuality through relativity, perspective, and subjectivity?

If you mean by "we", the conditioned 'mind', then yes.

Do you agree that we experience no separate self, stillness, peace, and unity through mindfulness, meditation, and understanding?

Well, firstly, are you saying that "no separate self", "stillness", "peace" and "unity" are all the same thing? It cannot be said that "no separate self" can be experienced, because then there must be an experiencer which entails a "separate self". The same can be said about stillness, there can be no experiencer of stillness because the experiencer is movement. "Unity" entails separation; two becoming one, which is impossible except through relationship, which still entails separation. So "unity" can be experienced but it is not the same thing as "stillness" or "no separate self", if that is what you are implying.

How do you reconcile the experience of "separation" with the experience of "no separate self"?

Again, there can be no experience of "no separate self" because that would entail an experiencer which means there is a division; a separation. So the whole notion of "experiencing no separate self" is contradictory.

We can say "it is what it is", or "this is because that is", but how do such concepts actually address the state of existence or mankind?

I am not sure what you are asking with this question.

Peace be upon you as well.
edit on 20-4-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

PS

Instead of western, eastern, or Freudian concepts of ego, I have gnosis of Ego as the mechanism which casts the illusion of separation.

That "I" which says, "I have gnosis of Ego" is the "ego". Do you see this? 'You' are not separate from "ego", because 'you' are "ego". That which is 'beyond' "ego" has no qualities and thus cannot say anything about "ego". Effectively you are saying, "I have knowledge that I cause my own delusion", is this too, then, not delusion as well?
edit on 20-4-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Semantics.

Blind Men and an Elephant.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Lol! Right... glad we got to the bottom of that... smh

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I do not wish to debate you any further in this context, for sake of clear mindedness.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
All false,new age propaganda crap.

No matter how you look at it,ego is a must for us just like love and hate.

Oh and none of us had the same beginning. Evolution states that we came from different areas of the world from different animals while religion states that we also had different origins.

The standard of threads on ATS is becoming pathetic.

LOL! Not sure if serious...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

Hello TheJourney.

Many atheists are so hot to disdain religion, that they never gain the insights offered by holy books. They miss out on many great teachings for the sake of rejection. "I hate religion and so-called holy books because such-and-such a reason. Here, look at this verse that is horrible!" Instead of actively seeking for points of discontent, we would be better benefitted by looking for points of wisdom.

Many religious people are compartmentalized into the prison of their own religion. For the zeal of their faith, they close their minds to outside sources. Even while researching alternate views, they too are merely seeking points of disagreement. In doing so, they miss out on a plethora of understandings about life and existence in general from others.

People who cross-research religion and philosophy.... and people who are religious, but can see the concepts of their own faith spoken through foreign words or unfamiliar rationalizations... and people who are mindful.... such people know the difference between false accusations of 'New Age' from actual transcendental truths.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I love reading your stuff, it seems to resonate more than not, and puts into words the flow
of my/our own education. Get back on track Amanda...

Thanks man, you rock!
x
I'm grateful you can put it into words for every one.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

That "I" which says, "I have gnosis of Ego" is the "ego". Do you see this? 'You' are not separate from "ego", because 'you' are "ego". That which is 'beyond' "ego" has no qualities and thus cannot say anything about "ego". Effectively you are saying, "I have knowledge that I cause my own delusion", is this too, then, not delusion as well?

And that is exactly what the OP says.

We are Ego, because every single point of separation, isolation, compartmentalization, division, and fragmentation within ourselves or existence.... whether it be ideas, concepts, sensory, perception, different beliefs, nationalities, class/caste, different species, plant/animal/insect, water, soil, earth, stars, time, space..... everything that is a point of "this and that" is Ego.

Liberation? When I say this, it merely means to not be a prisoner of holding on to or attaching strongly to points of fragmentation.

I still do not see how this is dillusional or ignorant thinking.

edit on 5/12/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Classical Concept of Ego Is Outdated

According to Eastern, Western, and Psychological standards, the Ego is: The I, self, personal identity, and concept of self.

I considered this concept of Ego and further inquired....

Self, I, Personal Identity, and Concept of Self are merely concepts that separate me, the human individual, from you, the human individual. So I deduce that the standard definition of ego is simply another form of separation or fragmentation.

Therefore, the standard and traditional concept of Ego is wrong and outdated. Why? Because if Ego is just another concept that separates, divides, and fragments.... then Ego is fundamentally 'separation.'

Ego is separation. Ego is fragmentation. Ego is division.

Fragmentation of thought is Ego. Fragmentation of the psyche is Ego. Fragmentation of emotion is Ego. Physical separation is Ego.

All facets of your personal identity and what makes you YOU and different than me is Ego. Nationality, skin color, physical appearance, religion, wealth, social class/caste, skill, intellect, political ideology... all Ego.

The tree being separate from the ground is Ego. The water being separate from the air is Ego. The refracted color spectrum is Ego.

The thought being separate from the thinker.... the object being separate from the observer... this is also Ego.

All fragmentation, separation, and division on any level is Ego.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Okay, continuing our private conversation...

You have redefined "ego" as all and any form of perceived fragmentation and I say fine, "ego" is fragmentation. Now, you tell me the world is waiting on me to 'liberate' myself from "ego", and so I am bound to ask, how? How do "I" 'liberate' myself from "ego" (fragmentation) when "I" am the "ego" (fragmentation)?

This "I" is the supposed thinker, and this supposed thinker is just another thought; another fragment which wants to change the other fragments (one thought proclaiming itself as the boss and wanting to change all the other thoughts). So then, is this not just pitting one fragment against another and thus furthering the fragmentation and conflict? How is one fragment supposed to free the other fragments from this fragmentation? In other words, how is one fragment of consciousness ("I"/"me") supposed to 'de-fragment' the entirity of consciousness?

Doesn't anyone else see this contradiction?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The world is waiting for me to liberate myself from myself?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
finally something which is different from fear and negativity

Yeah, it's called un-reality. Airheads are always trying to make mankind into what it CANNOT be. We are animals. We are ego.

Tell a lion to not be a lion. Tell a human to not be a human. It can't happen.

It is in our nature to be selfish, to view ourselves, our families, and our friends as more important than anything else. This is not what we do, it's what we ARE.

We cannot suddenly be one with each other, with the trees and the forests...

In order to protect the world we must accept who and what we are. Only then can we make adjustments that would allow us to be ourselves without doing too much damage to others.

We are war, but we don't have to destroy the world while we're at it.
We are greed, but we don't need to hog it ALL!
We are ambitious, but we don't have to destroy everyone in our path.

We are animals, no more, no less - get over it, stop denying it, and then try to make the world a better place according to what we are.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The world is the way it is because of what you DO or DON'T DO. Everything else is IRRELEVANT.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baron01
The world is waiting for me to liberate myself from myself?

Yes.

War, genocide, violence, starvation, oppression, enslavement, habitat destruction, animal extinction, air/water/soil pollution.....

Self contributing to the suffering of Self.

If we have the capacity for love, compassion, sharing, helping, forgiveness, and cooperation.... why not choose these over war, violence, greed, and apathy?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join