It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World Is Waiting On You To Liberate Yourself From Ego!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Every time we say "I" or "me" it is a reinforcement of ego. Just look around the thread and count how many you find. It is good intellectual/spiritual practice to refrain from using the word "I". It's more difficult than you might think, most people cannot last a single day without using it.

Also, something to note is that EVERY primate species, even as primitive as squirrel monkeys, has an ego-defined social style. By this I mean a male-dominated hierarchy. The biggest baddest males pretty much set the agenda. This is NO different from our species. By default, we are also an ego defined male-dominator species no different from our primate cousins. Disagree? Break their rules? Big men with guns will come to your door.

Also, we are the only primates who show traces of having the capacity to break AWAY from this ego-centric male-dominator style. The hippy movement is a big reflection of this. Some will argue that human beings were able to transcend this ego-centric style for thousands of years because of ego-dissolving substances found in nature, but I won't go there because it's forbidden here.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by Sahabi

While I almost agree with you.

I don't.

There are reasons for separation, and there are things which you can strive to understand while still not accepting as acceptable to keep.

There is not always a middle way between points. Logic remains.

How humorous that you would disagree and start your post off with two very egoic sentences.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
We are Borg, existence is futile.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
All false,new age propaganda crap.

No matter how you look at it,ego is a must for us just like love and hate.

Oh and none of us had the same beginning.Evolution states that we came from different areas of the world from different animals while religion states that we also had different origins.

The standard of threads on ATS is becoming pathetic.

Threads today are lacking, because of posts like yours. Who would want to put themselves out there and post a thread in such a negative environment? Did you add anything useful? Did you inspire thought?

You only made the next potential thread author think twice about sharing with people that take the time to post such crap.

To the OP: Thanks for taking the time to share. You have more faith in mankind than I do. I fear a lot of people want and need something/someone to hate to make their lives less miserable. Hate is easy, but love takes risk.

The only thing separating us from a virtual utopia is that fact. Love may be riskier, but it is better for us in the long run. Won't happen in my lifetime, sadly, but I've got my fingers crossed.

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave." - Gandhi

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It would seem you can not have it both ways, to ascend beyond the earth plane would seem difficult if still tied to a ego self perspective of existence.
To speak other wise would be in a state of denial, of true cosmic Christ consciousnesses, letting go of the ego is getting hold of higher being, returning to the Godhead.
It is true the world must be perfected and it is waiting for you.
The Earth as it is now for the most part is a dirty, rotten, selfish thing, it stinks people live in fear even the evil ones fear.
It has been said many times, but the time is at hand, many are not in tune to realize what is really taking place and or what is about to transpire. It is time to know that there is a much greater intelligence of the Universe that is not possible to comprehend at the level of mental function that most are working with.
The Truth resides on this Earth, you can try and hide from it, but all the false things that are before this Truth will be put into it's proper place.
The ego is good at lies and avoiding the Truth, this will come to a end and as the Christ has said you must become single of mind.
At some point of the evolution of your consciousness you must turn and look upon yourself. "Kundalini Rising".

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I am very much so ego, and you are very much so ego.
Even all that you wrote was very much so ego.
You even wrote it in your post using the word ego.
In a such egotistical way, as to strike a cord with other egos.
Sometimes I forget my ego.
And sometimes my ego forgets me.
I have even misplaced my ego a couple of times.
And at times I don't even carry it on me.
But usually I lose my ego in strange wayward places.
But somehow! By someway! it always finds it way back home.
Once I even changed my address to fool it.
But alas it saw trough my deception, and tracked me down.
As you can see It has made a fool out of me in many a cases.
And in some cases and places to some, the ego is as good as gold.
But even the ego says gold is only as good as there ego says it is.
A couple of times I even tried to kill my ego.
And once I even succeed.
But then it came back from the dead.
And now its the return from the dead zombie ego.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
All false,new age propaganda crap.

No matter how you look at it,ego is a must for us just like love and hate.

Oh and none of us had the same beginning.Evolution states that we came from different areas of the world from different animals while religion states that we also had different origins.

The standard of threads on ATS is becoming pathetic.

It is more like the standard of replies on ATS is becoming pathetic.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
It's obvious from the OP, but just in case anyone was wondering... I am not referencing Sigmund Freud's concept of the human psyche, nor "western" concepts of Ego. I am not alluding to any "eastern" concepts of killing the Ego.

I am describing Ego as I have come to understand it through contemplation, philosophizing, and meditation. I am proposing the acknowledgment, understanding, and balance of Ego.

"As a tiger taking to the jungle, or a dragon taking to water." It is said that meditation is the context upon which the ego unfolds.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Brad76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I think the ego as the bad guy is not an healthy concept.

Î rather speak of things using classic concepts like egoism and altruism.

Do you want to be better than others or you want to do the best you can, for the benefit of all the people involved in the situations?
Do you think only on yourself or you think on others too?
EGOist or ALLtruist?
ALLtruism reflects the unity concept, this is the mindset of the compassionate and caring people, its simple really, this technical language of the ego, body of pain and other inventions is ok but sometimes it is not simple enough to be practiced in our daily lives.

Just think on yourself and the people around you, think on ALL, be ALLtruist.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The world does not care if you liberate yourself from ego. It is only you who will benefit, it is you that is suffering.

The ego is the mind protecting itself for annilation, it is scared.
youtu.be...
edit on 9-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Interesting thread ,

however I have read elsewhere that Adam , was a plant like creature , and before he became animal , he underwent mytosis and split creating eve , he then became more animal like and then developed his animal behaviour!

just thought id throw that in there !

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by Sahabi

While I almost agree with you.

I don't.

There are reasons for separation, and there are things which you can strive to understand while still not accepting as acceptable to keep.

There is not always a middle way between points. Logic remains.

I'd rather have almost agreement rather than being oceans apart

There are indeed reasons for separation. The capacity for us even being here stems from separation. To deny separation is to deny an aspect of Self.

However, with the knowledge of our ability to change or influence the world, we must decide what type of world we want to live in... what type of world we want our children to inherit. Why? Because we have the power to imagine and then bring the idea out of our minds and into the physical world.

Separation is this reality of existence. We must accept and understand it instead of being blindly influenced by it. We must enjoy and appreciate the illusionary separation, but not to the point of believing other people to be so separate than yourself that you seek to be like them, or become prejudice, or hate-filled, or inciting hate. Neither should we become numb or apathetic to the suffering of others.

When we believe we are so separate from another human or any aspect of existence, it more easily gives way towards chaos and conflict. Chaos and conflict are also necessary and integral mechanisms to our existence, that's a whole 'nother topic, so for now just know that I am not proposing to deny or demonize. Let's just put it this way... chaos and conflict helps to bring about transitional change.

Where am I getting at? Well, ignorance of Ego or disillusion by Ego ultimately results in destruction. See how Ego is allowing us to kill ourselves (war, genocide, oppression, starvation, violence)? See how Ego is allowing us to kill-off plants, animals, and Earth itself?

We become so blinded by Ego, and the fulfilling of me, me, me that we actually become a virus. And as any parasite that seeks fulfillment of individual self instead of balance with the whole, it ultimately kills its host and meets its own death as a result.

edit on 2/9/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Who am I?
Ahh..... one of the most timeless inquiries of mankind! Is there a lower and higher self? Yes, I do understand it to be so. I understand existence to be One, all co-originated, all co-dependent, all interconnected, relative-subejective, infinite fractal. A fully shared energetic consciousness that transcends all bounds. Formless and Timeless.

I liked your op that you linked. I'll participate in your thread when I have more time.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
thank you sahabi for taking the time and effort to make this thread, for us that are interested in this concept could you possibly add links or reference's where you gained your understanding. because i need mooooooooooooooarrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker10

Not to hi-jack the OPs thread, but I highly suggest you read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, truthseeker10. You will find all you need to know about this subject and I guarantee that it will change the way you think.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker10
thank you sahabi for taking the time and effort to make this thread, for us that are interested in this concept could you possibly add links or reference's where you gained your understanding. because i need mooooooooooooooarrrrrrrrrrr

I'm glad you enjoyed, thanks for joining us.

The whole world is a reference!

It would be hard to suggest any specific references. What is written in the op is my personal gnosis. I may agree with a Buddhist sutra... a saying of Jesus may strike a chord... a verse in the Qur'an may appeal to me... a point in a documentary or lecture may resonate with me.... but I have not found one single source that describes existence as I personally understand it. My understandings do not make me a special guru, it just goes to show the power of relativity and subjectivity. Blind Men Blind Men And An Elephant; Perspective and Relativity

I feel as though the concepts I've covered in the op are self-evident. Our minds operate in the same manner, none of us are spiritually "special." A few concepts that have helped me are Know Thyself... As Within So Without... As Above So Below... mindfulness or conscious awareness... and observing, contemplating, and meditating life, death, and existence. As many have said before, "Look within."

A documentary I enjoyed very much is "What The Bleep Do We Know".
"Old Path White Clouds" by Thich Nhat Hanh is a great biography of Buddha. It wonderfully illustrates the concepts of interconnectedness, co-dependent co-arising, and the lack of a separate individual self.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Hmmmm.... but how can you kill or hold on to that which does not exist? The ego is but a conventional title for erroneous thought, a mistake in identity, a delusion, see things clearly and there is nothing to get rid of or hold on to. There is no me, there is no you, and so there is no us, all of these are forms of conventional thought that, if held to be absolute, further fragment the mind and cause conflict. There only is and is not, see what is. That is all.

Anyways, back from the jungles, decided not to become a monk, good to see you again my friend.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matteroni
Every time we say "I" or "me" it is a reinforcement of ego. Just look around the thread and count how many you find. It is good intellectual/spiritual practice to refrain from using the word "I". It's more difficult than you might think, most people cannot last a single day without using it.

Saying "we" is no different than saying "I" though my friend. How can there be a "we" if there is no "I"? There is still division in this line of thinking. Anyways, even the great sages used the word "I" in there vocabulary, the only difference is that they understood this was just a conventional term used for communication purposes and in no way reflected reality. Jesus used "I", Buddha used "I", Ramana used "I", Krishnamurti used "I", yet they knew they were not "I". The word "I" is not important, it is the misunderstanding behind that word that should be given importance.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
The world does not care if you liberate yourself from ego. It is only you who will benefit, it is you that is suffering.

The ego is the mind protecting itself for annilation, it is scared.
youtu.be...
edit on 9-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

Wisest words in the thread.../

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Manula

And from the thread:
Lets talk about ego and self-centered concepts

reply to post by Manula

You state objections, but do you not realize that your "disagreements" are actually in accord and in agreeance to the opening post?

I do not say Ego is negative or bad, nor I do not say to kill, shun, nor deny Ego. I do not understand why some keep accusing this thread of propagating such a message. Where do I say any such thing?

Do not get caught up on semantics. I am not using any eastern or western concept or definition of Ego, nor am I using Sigmond Freud's model of the human psyche. You may be creating disagreements between me and you by trying to associate my concept of Ego to that of eastern, western, or Freudian understandings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join