It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Characterizing intelligence by the ability to recall a series of historical dates is ridiculous. I got an A* in my physics exam but I don't know when WW2 started.

Am I dumb as a rock?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Its a bit unfair towards the rock seeing as rocks have never been tested for intelligence levels...

The kids in the UK do not fare much better. Most are leaving without the ability to read and write and do basic maths.

Only yesterday it was in the news here that parents are sending their kids off to school without even toilet training them, believing that this is the school's responsibility

I really despair for the future of the world. The only hope is people like us who are prepared to educate our children (when we have them) come hell or high water.

It does make you wonder if this happened in the past though, maybe there were advanced civilisations thousands of years ago, and they too got lazy with education until all you had were generation after generation of dumb people breeding with each other, so that the advanced knowledge was forgotten by all but a few who managed to raise their children with some knowledge.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Wow, was it Opposite Day yesterday? Considering how much information is being passed through the Internet today, I'd say the "youngsters" know ALOT more now, then ever.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I'm convinced they seriously want the kids dumb.

I agree.

I also agree. Years ago, I remember overhearing a colonel's wife, "We don't want enlisted people who are too well-educated or too bright -- we want enlisted people who follow orders." Of course, she was naively parroting what she had heard her husband say -- in private.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcupobob
reply to post by AuranVector

Woops, sorry about that. The war was over after 1949.
Not so much a joke, but rather a brain fart on my part. To late to edit though.

No problem. I wasn't sure if I was having my leg pulled. War with both Germany & Japan ended in 1945.

I also have brain farts.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

God, that was brilliant! I think I need to go find Fahrenheit 451....thank you so much for bringing my attention to that book, it is on my short list now. I never got around to so many of those sort of books, I still need to do animal farm and moby dick...the list is endless...

But to highlight your point, yes.....it seems that our current educational system and our social culture is more geared toward bits of info, often taken out of context, sound bites used for a certain emotional response and often tweeted so that we are bombarded with snippets of info to form our opinions, ideas and thoughts around......who can really form a solid idea or thought around a tweet?

Regurgitating facts in school is not empowering kids to think for themselves.....the dates of the civil war are important, but when a kid can't even comphrend why knowing about the civil war is important and how it impacted us as a nation and it's ties to current racial divides in society we still see carried out over a hundred years later....then knowing something as simple as the date it began is kinda a drop in the bucket I think.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well, the world changes.
People will always know something.
When I got to the US I taught at a high school. At first I was shocked to find that most of my students didn't know earlier centuries didn't have rock music - or radio. I asked them if radio existed at the time when George Washington was alive - well, most weren't sure. Those that seemed to know didn't raise their hands because it was uncool.
However, they had extraordinary kinesthetic intelligence. I soon found out they could improvise and recall difficult sequences of movements with ease in a matter of days, sequences it took months for intelligent Europeans to develop and memorize.
I was still shocked when later I went to a post office in Baltimore to mail a letter to Sweden and the lady asked me whether Sweden was in Europe. I asked her if she was asking me this in all seriousness. She replied, indignant, that she had to know because I would pay different charges.

Later, returning to Europe, I found that a lot of basic skills taught at school in my days - such as reading simple road maps and finding your way - had no longer been taught to people. GPS came as a godsend to them but I found cases when it misnavigated you. Also, in Hungarian cities, road signs are no longer replaced so you can only guess where you are.

I attribute most of these changes to consumer society. But I trust people are creative enough so they will always know something. Some of the stuff I know as matter of course counts as elite in left brain thinking now. I guess it was a trend to deprive people in masses of some common survival skills.

But any 15-year-old is better at solving a computer game puzzle than I am. (I am not bad with computers otherwise.)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
People learn during their whole life, there is nothing unusual to not know some stuff in a ung age.

They might concentrate on other things importent at that moment of their life, and later catch up to the rest.
I think that it's pretty common.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

Not really.

In the UK, kids seem to get dumber because they really don't care for school and can't be bothered to learn and then as they get older, they just do whatever it is they wanna do and only a minority use further education when they realise they screwed themselves over as teenagers.

They complain about lessons being boring but then I've seen teachers try and spice things up and they still sit there insulting that teacher anyway.

It's not the fault of the education boards, it's the kids being lazy and stupid and this reality tv/instant celebrity culture that makes them think they can go into a house on tv and become instant millionaires.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Not really.

In the UK, kids seem to get dumber because they really don't care for school and can't be bothered to learn and then as they get older, they just do whatever it is they wanna do and only a minority use further education when they realise they screwed themselves over as teenagers.

They complain about lessons being boring but then I've seen teachers try and spice things up and they still sit there insulting that teacher anyway.

It's not the fault of the education boards, it's the kids being lazy and stupid and this reality tv/instant celebrity culture that makes them think they can go into a house on tv and become instant millionaires.

Please don't generalise us. I'm 15, live in the UK, and I hate people my age that are like that too.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techy
Characterizing intelligence by the ability to recall a series of historical dates is ridiculous. I got an A* in my physics exam but I don't know when WW2 started.

Am I dumb as a rock?

Apparently so according to this.

I mean, without wanting to sound bragadocious, I'm technically classed as a genius and have above average memory recall but hell if I can remember dates and I still suck at maths and pretty much anything to do with numbers.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Not really.

Please don't generalise us. I'm 15, live in the UK, and I hate people my age that are like that too.

Apologies if it sounded like I was but I really wasn't.

Considering the town I live in and neighbouring towns are also the same where the kids even since I was last at school 12 years ago have been more concerned with getting easy money and not realy bothering to learn anything in school, maybe you could be a little forgiving of the situation I've found myself surrounded by.

Sucks having to play dumb to fit in too.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
*Approximately a third of all U.S. high school students did not know that the Bill of Rights guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of religion. (This is a topic that I touched on yesterday).

This one really stuck out to me over the rest. makes sense tho, Why would Americas Government want their people to know their rights!

Still the same can be said for England. I have a friend who's younger brother is still at school..I was around his house one time while his little brother had friends over, all they do is stare at the TV while playing on Call of Duty, jaw slack and open. Now im only 24 but i remember having conversations about topics at school..

Anyone else?

I Believe its The Entertainment business, the Schools, the Parents falls for the degradation of our youth.
Ever see the film "idiocracy" THATS gonna be us muuch sooner If the powers that be get there way.

Edit/off topic : dude above me...siiick Avatar!
But you are wrong. you never stop learning. though out your whole life you learn right from wrong, how not to do something and how do to it correctly. so i disagree with you there. only a fool would blindly continue down the wrong path, so to speak.
edit on 12/21/2011 by Kriltosthe2nd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Am I dumb as a rock?

Having A in a physics test don't exclude interest in history.
Seriously, you aren't even slightly curious about why politicians can ban something or impose some ideas you have to follow?
I sometimes talk with colleagues from work and i can't understand how they can give opinions about current situation in Syria, not knowing the country's history, or even worse-not knowing where the country lies.
Same with elections, people say they aren't interested in politics yet they go and vote.
I don't say you have to be expert in history,economy, politics etc. But having some knowledge will make it harder for TPTB to manipulate your mind.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

Oh differently, 451 is my favorite book of all times. It was funny too, when I first read it as an assignment in class like most children I wrote it off as a impenetrable book of nonsense. A classic that has no relevance or meaning to me, but just something we pay homage too. Though that thought wasn't so elegant as I wrote it was more along the lines of "This is dumb"

However, I checked it out of the library to re-read it, I can't remember why but after a second read through I began to look deeper. The things the book spoke began to be clearer. I read it again and again all through highschool(along with animal farm, 1981, a brave new world, a few religious text, and war novels for fun, I also recommend "I never promised you a rose garden" great book about insanity) and I like to think that it was at that moment when I stopped being a intellectual parrot and started critical complementing everything I read, and saw.

I really wish that books were taught, with the same passion I have for them in schools. Instead its drudgery, they don't ask you what the book meant, what it means too you the reader. Nope, its anal facts. Questions that ask you to recall events or names. Meaningless facts, that stripe the beauty and meaning of the text. It's a crying shame because my English teachers picked the some of the greatest books for us to read.

One of the downfalls of educations, instead of teaching to understand we teach to just to know. If you don't understand what you know, then its meaningless.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I just recently started back in college and this article couldn't be any closer too reality. Many professors have trouble with most kids when grading persuasive/argumentative essays due to the lack of proper grammar. Many of them use "LOL" and "BTW" in there work.. its sad.

I recommend those who haven't seen the documentary "Waiting for Superman" please watch.. its a real eye opener to the education system of America.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by chr0naut

Perhaps the erosion in the understanding of our language is designed and intended?

Yes I think you have made a very good point for consideration there (above).

Even ancient egyptian scribes warned of such things occuring ie that their original philosophy would be lost in the transcribing of thier words of power ie meaning and would be replaced with a showy language ie Greek

Since you use the ibis-headed god Thoth as your avatar, Artistpoet, I’m assuming you have an interest in things Egyptian.

Your mentioning Egyptian hieroglyphs made me think of Laird Scranton’s stunning revelations. Of course, I believe ancient Egyptian civilization is much older & scientifically sophisticated than conventional Egyptologists would consider.

* “ The Science of the Dogon offers a case-by-case comparison of Dogon descriptions and drawings to corresponding scientific definitions and diagrams from authors like Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene, then extends this analysis to the counterparts of these symbols in both the ancient Egyptian and Hebrew religions.”

“What is ultimately revealed is the scientific basis for the language of the Egyptian hieroglyphs, which was deliberately encoded to prevent the knowledge of these concepts from falling into the hands of all but the highest members of the Egyptian priesthood….”

Laird Scranton is a computer programmer/software designer who became interested in Dogon & Egyptian symbols in the early 1990’s. He is featured in the last DVD (#8) of John Anthony West’s “Magical Egypt” DVD series. (Paraphrased)

*Quotes from the back cover of “The Science of the Dogon” by Laird Scranton, published in 2006 by Inner Traditions (Rochester, Vermont).

AuranVector

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kriltosthe2nd

Idiocracy is a great movie. It represents America today.Maybe other countries as well.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo
I just recently started back in college and this article couldn't be any closer too reality. Many professors have trouble with most kids when grading persuasive/argumentative essays due to the lack of proper grammar. Many of them use "LOL" and "BTW" in there work.. its sad.

I do not envy you. I've often thought about going back to College to gain more Education, but then...what for? our current world will not last much longer (you all have your own dates) and owning a piece of paper saying i'm "qualified" to do something will become pointless.

I can imagine its very hard for those who do want to learn in a class room full of kids messing around. The teachers attention is going to be on the trouble makers..
edit on 12/21/2011 by Kriltosthe2nd because: typos

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Ha Ha - You got me - Thanks - Yes I am an Ancient Egypt Nut - Not Nut as in Nut the Egyptian Godess or natural law to be more accurate) who is represented as a female with a costume of Stars over arching and making love to Geb the God (again natural law) who is a representation of the Earth.
But an Ancient Egyptian nut with dillusions of being an artist in the court of Akhenaten - Nefertiti or to give her her real name Neferfruaten meaning "A beautiful woman has come" sure was pretty.
More seriuosly though - Yes i am aware of the Dogon Cosmology regarding Sirius etc Sirius of course being Isis again natural law. I wont bore you by going on only to say - I did not learn such things in school and as for the corrupt priesthood and their secrets and using it to control the common people - Well even that "Holy of Holies had been rent asunder and invaded from inside out - so what price the soul when flesh turns to soil" (verse from a poem of mine) Intuition and curiosity and are the best tools for learning.

edit on 8-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 8-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo i am better ar hieroglphs must get one of those keyboards

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Part of the problem, as Henry Ford said, History is Bunk. Students realize this. There would be a revolution if true history was taught. True US History - genocide of tens of millions of 'Indians". 12 million black slaves shipped to America, 6 million died during the crossing of the Atlantic. Washington was a cruel slave owner. He had teeth pulled from his slaves to try experimental methods to attach them to his mouth.
I could go on forever. The true history of Eisenhower, Nixon, JFK, LBJ. Why should any child care about memorizing the dates of the start and end of the French and Indian war?
I don't believe intelligence or IQ level has gone down. For some unknown reason, it is going up. In general, education in America is quite good. Probably better than it has ever been. American students just aren't interested in memorizing whitewashed history.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join