Dumb As A Rock: You Will Be Absolutely Amazed At The Things That U.S. High School Students Do Not Kn

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Please Read: Posting Work Written by Others:
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

Are we raising the stupidest generation in American history? The statistics that you are about to read below are incredibly shocking. They indicate that U.S. high school students are basically as dumb as a rock. As you read the rest of this article, you will be absolutely amazed at the things that U.S. high school students do not know. At this point, it is really hard to argue that the U.S. education system is a success. Our children are spoiled and lazy, our schools do not challenge them and students in Europe and in Asia routinely outperform our students very badly on standardized tests.

*Only 43 percent of all U.S. high school students knew that the Civil War was fought some time between 1850 and 1900.

*Only 60 percent of all U.S. students knew that World War I was fought some time between 1900 and 1950.

*More than a quarter of all U.S. high school students thought that Christopher Columbus made his famous voyage across the Atlantic Ocean after the year 1750.

endoftheamericandream.com...

edit on 7-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

edit on February 7th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: added EX tags and cut down execessive c&p that violate rules of ATS

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I thank God I was born into my generation. In the 3rd grade we were taught proper use of the telephone, how a grocery store works and they provided a cash register so we could learn how to make change. We were taught Real American History & Science and on and on . The DOE has been a total failure since its inception.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Has anyone ever gotten their order right from a fast food restaurant in the U.S.? I can't remember the last time I even got correct change.

+53 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
The DOE has been a total failure since its inception.

no, it's been a total success. the dumber future americans get, the easier they are to control and manipulate.

future leaders don't go public school 15, they get expensive private educations, taught by the best money can buy and indoctrinated into the new world order.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
history is written by the winners and when theres no real winners you just gotta fluff it.....when you ask "where is the church of england the main church of" and people cant answer that you know that suicide is a good idea

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I remember seeing an article several years ago. where 42% of High School Graduates , thought

Alaska was a Island.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I went to school in a small town in southern PA. My entire town had less than 5,000 people in it.

We had no city aid for our school. We held carnivals, festivals, parents donated, and once a year we even bought a junker car and people paid $5 for 2 minutes with a sledgehammer beating the hell out of it.

And yet we could still afford labs, auto shop, wood shop, seamstress class, home ec, 4 sports teams... and that was just in the 7th grade.

I still wonder what the hell happened...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I can tell you what happened....

Lawyers

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
People learn during their whole life, there is nothing unusual to not know some stuff in a ung age.

They might concentrate on other things importent at that moment of their life, and later catch up to the rest.
I think that it's pretty common.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

"If you don't have an education, you don't have a chance in life," said Netshiozwe, who is unemployed with little prospect of finding regular work. She and her HIV-infected aunt live together and scrape by on about $100 a month in welfare benefits.

*Only 43 percent of all U.S. high school students knew that the Civil War was fought some time between 1850 and 1900.

*Only 60 percent of all U.S. students knew that World War I was fought some time between 1900 and 1950.

*More than a quarter of all U.S. high school students thought that Christopher Columbus made his famous voyage across the Atlantic Ocean after the year 1750.

Knowing when the Civil War was fought, or knowing when World War I was fought, or knowing when Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue is not going to make a persons value in market economies worth much. Not knowing critical thinking skills, that is what is hurting people who believe they are being educated in the indoctrinating centers that seem to take great pride in the fact that they're failing to teach their students history.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe a lot of students don't care to study US politics/history? As important as it is, you gotta admit it's pretty damn boring (well it is for me as an outsider)

I think as people get older they become more interested in such subjects like politics and history, so don't worry too much.

How did they do in other subjects?
edit on 7-2-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I remember when in middle school and high school there were basically three subjects that just repeated over and over year after year.

History, "Social Studies" and, thanks to the bell curve dragging the system down, Algebra. Repeated so completely as to carry the same text books over year after year.

Despite being beaten over the head with the same information for nearly 6 years most of my peers were unable to retain anything.

Though the value of knowing dates of events can be argued the ability to retain some general idea of when a thing occurred really cant. There is perhaps an excuse for not knowing but when the subject is in thrown in your face for 8 hours a day 9 months a year there is absolutely no excuse for retaining at the very least a vague concept of the subject matter. A vagueness under which a general time frame of occurrence certainly falls.

Most people are stupid. Very, very stupid.

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You aren't taught very much about the political system in USA high schools. I graduated around 3 years ago. And I went to multiple schools. All the same thing.

Touch on things like the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl and leave out HUGE chunks of important historical topics.

They'll teach you about Hitler and WW2 but never teach you that he got the idea of eugenics from the USA and we were forced sterilizing people up to 1960.

When I learned about the eugenics program in the USA I was like is this real???
Why did they never teach us this? It's a huge DEAL, historically.

Anyone that I told that we forced sterilized people didn't believe me. They thought I was making it up...
Anyone that I told the Nazis were inspired by our eugenics program. They thought I was making it up...

They don't teach you about the CONTENTS of the constitution, OR the contents of the Deceleration of Independence.

They leave out HUGE parts, they'll teach you the word but never WHY or WHAT is in the historical document.

Like all the kids would know the term "checks and balances" but they couldn't tell you who checks or balances what. They know the term but NOTHING of the meaning behind it.

I'm convinced they seriously want the kids dumb.

School always creeped me out anyway. All the operant conditioning with bells and never being able to challenge the authority even if they are wrong. It's one big training school to teach kids how to obey. Teach them they have NO power to question authority, because they are just a measly CIVILIAN.

But then again I read 1984 when I was 14, so maybe I'm just nuts right?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

ok?.......

and how exactly is knowing the first 10 ammendments soppused to help you get through in the real world?

seriously who the hell has pointed a gun at you and asked you to name the time that the civil war took place?!

pointless survey conducted, on even more pointless and FAKED historical facts

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah...it was high school students in Oklahoma. Looking for educated people there is like looking for conservatives in CA

Have you ever been to Oklahoma? The adults are just as bad
edit on 7-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

But then again I read 1984 when I was 14, so maybe I'm just nuts right?

Not if you understood it.
Judging by your postings, I say you did.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It is not the kids fault - It is done on purpose
Below is a link to a whistleblower Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt - She is an insider who speaks of Skull and Bones and her familys connection - She became a senior advisor to the government on education policy

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America
www.deliberatedumbingdown.com...
edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The schools are not good. The way they teach is not good. You learn it then forget it because its never used again. But who is to say that these stupid pointless facts make you smart?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Well this does demonstrate the ignorance in society to an extent... I mean yeah some of those seem like pretty dumb and easy answers, but if you never plan to vote (which I disagree with) do you need to know that stuff? Just like if I asked you what the derivative of y=ln(x). I will probably use it when I work some day, but if you wouldn' then what is the point of learning it? (BTW yes I am generalizing, most people don't know Calculus I am ASSUMING, for all I know you could be the next Einstein but, just trying to make a point). On the flip side, think about all the stuff that will very likely affect all people, and the limit of high school knowledge there. How many can change a tire? How many can change a diaper, how many can balance a check book, etc.

I guess we just need to assume that the majority of people in this world are dumb. Not ignorant, but dumb... and it is a shame but also guess what? Makes me and others look a bit better
(ok that is a bit calloused haha )

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I can tell you what happened....

Lawyers

Especially many of them that became Judges.But on a positive note, their lack of knowledge is outweighed by high self-esteem and no clue as to what the future holds.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join