It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian defence spending puts Canada to shame

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Now let me also bring up some other lists where Australia exceeds Canada;
Life expectancy;
Canada:12
Australia:6

Economic Freedom;
Canada:6
Australia:4

Infant mortality rate;
Canada:24
Australia:19

Literacy rates;
Canada:25
Australia:22

Firearm deathrates;
Canada:4.78
Australia:2.6

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

Those Chinese students are only on a study visa, yes they "may" get permanent residency but it can take years and years for that to happen, so they are really just studying here then they go home.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

And thats even stimulating your governments economics, international students have to pay way more in tuition and student fee's so its really win-win

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Not trying to be racist or too honest here, but universities in Australia consist of 75% Chinese students. What will happen when they begin climbing the corporate, military and governmental ladders? The Chinese have already won imo and all without pulling a trigger.

Source - What i see everyday...

Add to that, most people would prefer China to win over if it came to India and Indonesia too but not in the same way.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Australia reluctantly builds up it's army, spending strategically and wasting a lot. All the countries around us are buying Russian or making their own.

Australia is also a bit of a missile base, if I'm not wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

Well said, I like how you used the word "reluctantly". Australia's military expenditure is higher then Canada's solely due to its location on planet Earth.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Life expectancy;
canada:12
Australia:6

maybe you could clarify how that scoring system works.

also, who is threatening either canada or australia? they both seem like nice countries, why argue about who's wasting the most money?
this thread seems kinda stupid, so maybe im missing the point.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

I really don't think its relevant, I used to be in the Canadian military and it was common practice to compare our military capabilities to Australia purely based on the fact that we are the two most established white-anglo commonwealth countries.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Australia has the threat of China Army..
Canada has the security of the US Army

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Australia has the threat of China Army..
Canada has the security of the US Army

What is NZ's excuse?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Two different strategic plans. Canada is a part of NATO and most NATO nations militaries are built around being force multipliers and role players to US forces. Australia has treaties but not a collective defense treaty that is built in such a way so it builds a more well rounded force. I would expect to Australias ties with ASEAN to grow along with a possible Chinese threat.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

They would never suspect it, the entire NZ defence budget is paying for The Flight of the Concords.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hudson88

New Zealander's have guns and know their country better than you know your own back yard.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The day that the USA 'asks' Australia to stop exporting to China... well the decisions to be made on that day, are worthy of discussion.

Will we say yes or no?.. and what are the implications of either answer?

Australia has totally avoided the Global finacial crisis and has a steady unemployment rate of around %5.. due in no small part to our booming mining industry which exports massively to China.

The USA is expanding it's presense in Northern Australia by no small degree.. To what end one has to ask... defense or attack?
However, many of Australia's resources are already owned by China...

I have little good to say about either the USA or China's current governing policies; so here we are, literally stuck between 2 worlds, quietly living in peace...

...for now.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

LOL, is that why they're all coming here?
NZ is practically the seventh state of Australia, we own you.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
why does it even matter? Canada is in NATO.

Australias closer to actual beligerents whereas we live right next to worlds largest military force.

That would be my argument for spending MORE on defence than we do now, not less. (living next to "the worlds largest military force" that is)

Having said that, if our government spent 22 BILLION DOLLARS on "defence" last year I'd sure like to know where it went. It may sound like chump change but remember we aren't off invading 10 countries at once and waging perpetual war... its a lot of money when you consider what we have, which is pretty much zilch.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Good.

We don't need defense spending.

Who's gonna invade us? Russia? Not a chance. The US? We ain't got no chance.

We don't need to have a big military. The warmongers can move to the US if they want death and destruction. Canadians don't want that, neither do a growing majority of Americans apparently.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

How can you own me when I'm Australian too, goof!

You have admit that the civilian population of New Zealand are better equipped to handle an invasion that we are in Australia.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
What should i understand from this thread?...

Canada is guilty to believing in peace?!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join