It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientists reach buried Antarctic Lake Vostok

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakessw
Sweet! I can't wait to hear nothing about what they find down there...

LOL so true!!!!!!

so scientists what did ya find?

scientists: huh? wha? nothing just some little tiny bacteria or something WE NEVER SAW NOTHNG LIKE IT WOW they are this big ( . ) and they don't do ***********

they probably found so much cool stuff down there, but wont tell anyone.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz
Lol its like "Whaaaat water without fluoride in it! we must contaminate it"

LOL made my day!

that's probably the only reason they went there.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I recommend watching the following documentary about Lake Vostok... that, a long with actually taking the time to read some of the news articles released recently will address many of your concerns.

My personal opinion is that there probably isn't some grand conspiracy regarding the lake. Anyone with a clue knows how big the discovery of even the smallest of microbial life living in the lake would be, let alone whatever else could be lurking down there. All the time, money and resources spent in getting access to the lake will be well worth it just for those reasons alone. No need for a big conspiracy here.

The only suspicious thing I've seen regarding the lake so far is the 'NSA' apparently classifying a section of the lake (presumably where the magnetic anomaly was detected) top secret. But I still have doubts whether or not that story is in fact true. And there is natural phenomenon that could explain the anomaly which needs to be ruled out before we start presuming it's an "alien spacecraft".

I know this is ATS but let's not get too hasty!

edit on 7/2/12 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
They found Megatron?!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
i don't care if europa is habitable, or if any other planets are inhabited, fact is if they ARE in habited, then we have no right to go and disturb their existence. what is of more concern to me is when is THIS planet going to be properly habitable and looked after by this human race?

i'm interested in vostok and it's contents, but not to the point where i'd be willing to risk things unknown coming into contact with the outside world, whether it's for their good or ours.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

New life forms would tell us with almost 100% certainty that we are not unique, that life exists everywhere in the universe.

How? All that it would prove is that life exists in a remote place, on a planet where life is already known to exists. Fossil evidence has already proven that Antarctica was full of life in the past. The question everyone needs to be asking is where did the miles of ice come from, and how did it get there. (I'll save many of you the headache, think about a giant flood that covered the whole earth. For the ignorant responses that will no doubt follow; besides the evidence of billions of dead things buried in rock layers layed down by water all over the earth, along with billions of tons of ice sitting on once fertle ground... there is no proof whatsoever of a global flood :@@

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 98yekiM
How was Lake Vostok first discovered?

Via some infrared Satellite shot or something?
I mean, it's buried under all that Ice, how could one have realized it was there...

Radar imaging satellite...

Full Size

The first satellite images of Lake Vostok were obtained in the 1990s
www.bbc.co.uk...

Microorganisms have already been found in the lake's frozen water

Anyone remember Legionaires Disease that killed a whole bunch of people when some unknown bug was dug up?

Andromeda Strain - Vostok Chapter

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

remains of pants that are found in the Arctic today.

notendur.hi.is...
edit on 6-2-2012 by Essan because: (no reason given)

All of that work for some old underwear !

Perhaps they belonged to an Alien...........
edit on 7-2-2012 by Qwenn because: added a space

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Big suprise! They finally finish drilling through and no one hears for the again...I think we've seen this before somewhere....

mysteriously they broke the ice, and the ice begins to rupture.... what never could be imagined, happened .... they find life.. radio silence.................................

edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Who's gonna be the first human to take a drink of "vostick H20?"
One of those Russians celebrating the drilling victory in the proper Russian way of drinking vodka.

I could totally see a drunken bet go down. "Vladimer, your to much of a sissy to drink it. Be the first Russian to take a swig for mother Russia."

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Interesting thread i wanna share!
|
v

The Next Coming War & The Collapse Of American Economy

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hold your horses people!. It is nowhere near to discover anything. Now they will have to bring and drop the unmanned submarine probe into the drill-hole. After that they will probably start mapping inch by inch the whole floor of the lake.Sonar mapping might quickly give us a general answer that they had found something "peculiar", but to be sure they have to go there and film it on camera. So this will take months or even years to find anything "peculiar" like crashed UFO, thermonuclear reactor that is still running, Atlantis,or other ancient astronaut base. As for "normal" discoveries, we will find very quick if there's a life there or not.
edit on 7-2-2012 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'm wondering how much of this is about science vs a giant reservoir of clean water.
At the current rate of pollution clean water may become more valuable than gold at some point.
Watching Fukushima that time may be closer than I'd like to believe.

I wonder if this ancient water could have any special qualities - restorative perhaps - a fountain of youth

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Some of us here ask why the lake stays on temprature, that I also thought strange after searching for some answers I stumbled on this article....

What specifically do infrared images reveal?

Infrared is a type of light that we cannot see with our eyes. Our eyes can only see what we call visible light. Infrared light brings us special information that we do not get from visible light.

It shows us how much heat something has and gives us information about an object's temperature. Everything has some heat and puts out infrared light.

Even things that we think of as being very cold, like an ice cube, put out some heat.
Cold objects just put out less heat than warm objects.
The warmer something is the more heat it puts out and the colder something is the less heat it puts out.
Hot objects glow more brightly in the infrared because they put out more heat and more infrared light.

Cold objects put out less heat or infrared light and appear less bright in the infrared.
Anything which has a temperature puts out infrared light. In the infrared images shown in these lesson plans, different colors are used to represent different temperatures.

You can find out which temperature a color represents by using the color-temperature scale show to the right of most of the images. The temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit.

To the left is an infrared image of a metal cup holding a very hot drink. Notice the rings of color showing heat traveling from the liquid through the metal cup.
You can see this in the metal spoon as well.

To the right is an infrared image of a melting ice cube. Notice the rings of color showing how the melt water warms as it travels away from the cube. Although the ice cube is cold, it still puts out heat, as you can see by matching the color of the ice cube with its temperature.

This could mean that melting ice underneath can warm this lake up....?

As for light in complete darkness Arachnocampa luminosa may sound like the name of an intricate spell, it’s actually an insect that produces an enchanting effect completely on its own.

Better known as “glowworms”, these gnat larvae produce a distinctive blue-green light that illuminates New Zealand’s subterranean Waitomo glowworm caves. The tiny, star-like dots attract unsuspecting flies, mosquitoes and snails to their sticky, silk string nests, which stretch up to 40cm from the cave ceiling. Prey is fooled into thinking they are still under the night sky, a trick that is not hard to believe when looking up at the millions of luminescent creatures shimmering against a pitch black background.

So I can imagine if the water temperature beneath the ice is warm, and there's oxygen , creatures like these come to life....

The question also rises what happens if there's large amounts of metal within this lake and come in contact with the ice what happens then?

When dry ice touches metal why is there a screeching sound?
answer:

First, When Warmed, dry ice skips the liquid phase and goes directly to being a gas.

The reason this phenomena happens with Because metal is metal is a good conductor of heat and so the temperature difference Between the dry ice and the surface remains as large.

Another way to look at it is bootable That the metal is to supply a lot of heat to Quickly Evaporate the dry ice.

When the dry ice sublimates there is a large "source" or gas being created Between the two surfaces and it needs to escape. When it is escaping however there is an instability Which results in a cyclic motion.
When at first the gas builds up, a space is created. When however the gas speeds up and starts to go throw the space, its pressure drops. This pressure drop happens to all gasses and is called the Bernoulli principle.

The dropping of the gas pressure results in the two surfaces coming together again. However That results in another build or gas All which pushes the two surfaces apart again. This cycle repeats over and over again.

The cyclic phenomena is in fact very common and is overused in the past or all wind instruments.
In fact if you press your lips together very Tightly and build up the air pressure in your mouth, When the air escapes, a Squeaking sound will be created for the Same reason.

OMG, did I just find out why the strange sounds in the world are happening....?

edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by PhoenixOD

its the undiscovered bacteria and viruses that alarm me!

remember small px and indians,or t.b. and south america! what about the swine flu in the early 1900's?
or even maybe some lost alien,like in the x-files movie!!! (thats a stretch!) or maybe the remnants of atlantis!

most of these were proven to be made in the Los Alamo's Lab

Patent

Baxter Patents this last Swine Flu shot a year before the Swine Flu happened

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Some random news story about Newt Ginrich taking Big macs to bed with him will emerge and this amazing story will be lost

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by PhoenixOD

its the undiscovered bacteria and viruses that alarm me!

remember small px and indians,or t.b. and south america! what about the swine flu in the early 1900's?
or even maybe some lost alien,like in the x-files movie!!! (thats a stretch!) or maybe the remnants of atlantis!

most of these were proven to be made in the Los Alamo's Lab

What was/is the purpose? To scare other researchers away? Profit from vaccines?
Both?

*Nice Pupil! (Avatar)

Patent

Baxter Patents this last Swine Flu shot a year before the Swine Flu happened

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
Here's a nice Graphic of the the drilling at Lake vostok,

Graphic Lake Vostok

The method of drilling presented in this graphic, exactly match what i have said about drilling method they should use:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I guess i'm genius

But really thanks for this animation, star for you!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by piotrburz

you are
and just discovered the wheel for the second time...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
For those of you who have not read or watched the documentaries; Nothing is coming out of the hole and Nothing other than a very advanced probe about the size of a bottle of water is going down the hole. Drilling is the wrong term for the new hole (yes new hole) the first was never finished and scrapped due to contaminants in the drilling process. The new hole is made using water jets that seal the hole as it goes, there is a final cleaning routine just before breakthrough where the probe will sterilize itself. Nothing coming up to kill us all off.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join