It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientists reach buried Antarctic Lake Vostok

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Unfortunately they won't be taking any samples until late 2012. I'm not sure what the reason for the wait is. Perhaps they did find something and they're trying to postpone the amount of time until the public finds out. Judging by everything I've read about this lake it seems very likely that there is something very strange down there.
1. Why did the scientists cease all contact for 5 days?
2. What is the "magnetic anomaly"?
3. Why no drilling until late 2012?
4. What is the heat source that warms Lake Vostok up to 68°F ?
5. Is the environment of lake vostok even capable of sustaining life?
6. Why are Russia, the US, and the UK spending so much money on an enterprise
in such a hostile location? Since when have tptb cared about science?
Too many questions and not enough answers.
edit on 6-2-2012 by targeting because: somebody suggested another question

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahamarlin
I don't buy it.
30 years of drilling, all that time and money for what? Finding bacteria? Yippeeee, we found a bacteria that have been around for 20 million years!!!

Are you serious? Don't you realize what an important discovery this is? Modern humans have only been on earth for about 200,000 years. Do you even realize how much evolution can take place in 20 million? Lake vostok is also a very important in the debate for whether or not europa can sustain life and subsequently whether extraterrestrial life exists at all. Studying lake vostok has the potential to be a more significant scientific discovery than the moon landing.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by targeting
Unfortunately they won't be taking any samples until late 2012. I'm not sure what the reason for the wait is. Perhaps they did find something and they're trying to postpone the amount of time until the public finds out. Judging by everything I've read about this lake it seems very likely that there is something very strange down there.
1. Why did the scientists cease all contact for 5 days?
2. What is the "magnetic anomaly"?
4. What is the heat source that warms Lake Vostok up to 68°F ?
5. Is the environment of lake vostok even capable of sustaining life?
Too many questions and not enough answers.

Totally agree with your questions.
(2 of them I made myself a few pages ago)

Add a 6th:

6.- Why spending tens of millions of dollars by Russia, USA and UK on an enterprise
in such a hostile location?

It doesn't make sense...

Unless there is something remarkable down there.

And please, don't tell me they do it just for the sake of "Science" and "Knowledge".
Knowing enough about these guys, I don't buy it !!
edit on 6-2-2012 by HeywoodFloyd because: edit

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by targeting

Ive read in quite a few articles that there is a drilling season for the Lake Vostok area and the season has now come to an end. I dont know if thats got anything to do with the weather or its to do with permits / agreements etc. Does anyone here know why they have drilling seasons?

edit on 6-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Originally posted by targeting

late 2012

late 2012

late 2012

late 2012

Guys I think I found out what's going to cause the apocalypse -_-
edit on 6-2-2012 by targeting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd
[

Totally agree with your questions.
(2 of them I made myself a few pages ago)

Add a 6th:

6.- Why spending tens of thousands of dollars by Russia, USA and UK on an enterprise
in such a hostile location?

It doesn't make sense...

Unless there is something remarkable down there.

And please, don't tell me they do it just for the sake of "Science" and "Knowledge".
Knowing enough about these guys, I don't buy it !!

There is much speculation regarding the magnetic anomaly. Here is a nibble to wet your appetite for the unusual...

From a NATO official:

“You know, they have classified Lake Vostok. They took it away from JPL who were monitoring it. Are you familiar with Lake Vostok in Antarctica? Under the ice in Antarctica there is a fresh-water lake deep, deep down under the ice, that’s 100 miles long and 50 miles wide. Fresh water. The temperature in the damn lake is about 65 degrees, which is pleasant swimming, you might say.

“But at the end of Lake Vostok is what’s known as a gigantic masscon—a mass concentration of metal, very similar to the masscons they discovered on the Moon — a gigantic, circular-shaped, metallic object deep under the ice at the end of Lake Vostok. The National Security Agency took it away from JPL. It’s one of the most sensitive things in the world now, the anomaly at the end of the lake. It’s now classified, top secret.”

fficial sources have not provided much additional information regarding the mysterious Antarctic lake, and the controversy rages on across the Internet, while hundreds of different opinions clash over the nature of the goings-on at this remote location…

www.exohuman.com...

edit on Mon Feb 6 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Okay so...

WTF is going on here?
20 million years? Where the hell did that figure come from? Yeah I see it cloned all over the net... but really?

I have been following the development of Lake Vostok for a long time... in many now buried threads at ATS. In particular I was following the ice core sample project.

What is this? Well as they drilled the hole into the ice, they saved the cores to do a study on climate change over a long period of time.

Two things...

1) they found that the core samples showed the true climate history of Earth and it shows we are moments away from the next cooling period, in other words ICE AGE (see chart below

2) ALL the reports prior to this new "20 million" figure show that the last time Lake Vostok saw the light of day was 420,000 years ago... not 20 million

So why the sudden change? As simple google search yields this;

Vostok Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lake Vostok lies some 4000 meters (13000 ft) below the surface of the central .... 420000 years of ice core data from Vostok, Antarctica, research station.

Lake Vostok Water - The Earth Institute at Columbia University
420000-. year-old ice. cored. 3623 m. (2.25 miles). Vostok Station. Lake Vostok. Positioned over the Southern end of the lake, scientists at a Russian research ...

Climate and atmospheric history of the past 420000 years from the
3623 m total; stopped ~120 m above Lake Vostok ... record of atmospheric composition and climate to cover past four glacial-interglacial cycles (~420000 years) ...

Lake Vostok Antarctica
Lake Vostok is visible from space as the ice sheet above it is flat. ... the top of the lake have been analysed to be as old as 420000 years, suggesting that the lake ...

Antarctic Lake Vostok | Destinations Point
Dec 26, 2010 – Lake Vostok (Russian Vostok - East) is the largest of so far identified 150 ... The age of ice is estimated at 420000 years, and the lake is under ...

More Than 200 Meters of Lake Ice Above Subglacial Lake Vostok suggest that subglacial Lake Vostok is an open system with an efficient cir- ... than those of the past 420000 years. ... Vostok lake water is believed to originate ...

The Antarctic subglacial Lake Vostok: glaciology, biology and ...
A core from the lake's vicinity was taken through this depth also, and ... most extended undisturbed paleo-environmental series covering 420000 years, including ...

Lake Vostok: warm water at the south pole | westcoastword
Jul 24, 2011 – Lake Vostok is about the same size as lake Ontario. ... global temperatures, and the elements in the atmosphere, going back 420000 years.

Lake Vostok 420,000 years

Here is the chart showing the Data for 415,000 years from the ice cores

This graph isdrawn from the data gathered from the Vostok ice core samples and, unlike the tree ring data, is scientifically sound and uncontroversial. Looking at the above graph, there have been six periods in the last 415,000 years when global temperature exceeded today’s temperature by as much as nine degrees. 10,000 years ago, the global temperature was five degrees higher than today.

I know ATS has gotten big and good info falls off the page quickly.
So I ask again How did this 420,000 years that has been talked about for years suddenly jump to 20 MILLION?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Okay so...

WTF is going on here?
20 million years? Where the hell did that figure come from? Yeah I see it cloned all over the net... but really?

I have been following the development of Lake Vostok for a long time... in many now buried threads at ATS. In particular I was following the ice core sample project.

I know ATS has gotten big and good info falls off the page quickly.
So I ask again How did this 420,000 years that has been talked about for years suddenly jump to 20 MILLION?

I guess it's because of what it says on the wikipedia page.

Lake Vostok is the largest of more than 140 subglacial lakes found under the surface of Antarctica. The overlying ice provides a continuous paleoclimatic record of 400,000 years, although the lake water itself may have been isolated for 15 to 25 million years.
They do cite several sources if you want to check it out.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

WTF is going on here?

you know, zorgon, it is called "Inflation".

Journalists and mainstream "Scientists" are sort of strange kind of guys:
they adjust data and numbers just to fit their theories...

and with the current financial turmoil...
Dollars, Euros, Pounds, Years...
you wil certainly understand that you need at least 20 MILLION years today,
to buy 420,000 years of just some years ago...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you Destinyone,
yes, I heard about some of these stories, and I know most are true:
Indeed the situation reminds me of the "2001: A Space Odyssey" Monolith on the Moon (Clavius).

weird, isn't it?

Like a sort of "Electromagnetic beacon", or some Alien device,
or simply an Alien Spaceship...

I have some confidential sources that, as early as in 2007, told me that
there is something stunning under Lake Vostok. They know it.
And the classification level is very high.

So, the cover-up is and will be pervasive.

Thank you again, Destinyone, for posting this important information here.

PS: By the way, in "2001: A Space Odyssey",
the high ranking officer, in charge of the cover up of the Monolith found on the Moon,
was a certain Heywood Floyd ...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by targeting

The word is that modern man has been on this earth for 400000 years, and I remember them finding bones and thinking now that it was twice that amount.... so infact they are not sure how long modern man has been on this earth. Long enough to advance then get wiped out mulitiple times if you think about it... only took a generous 1000 years from riding horses and killing people with swords to taking asprin and flying around in space.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Who really believes they worked so hard and finally got to where they were going and then just stopped. There was no word for five days because they needed everyone to go down and explore what ever they found down there. They have already gotten it.... everything else is just smoke and mirrors

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikem
Who really believes they worked so hard and finally got to where they were going and then just stopped. There was no word for five days because they needed everyone to go down and explore what ever they found down there. They have already gotten it.... everything else is just smoke and mirrors

Your'e saying they climbed down a five inch diameter hole? 132mm is roughly 5 inches.

Access to the lake from the base of the Vostok hole will be completed with coreless electrothermal drill system TBPO-132 designed and built at SPSMI [Verkulich et al., 2002]. The completion drill is 6-7 m long and consists of two parts: (1) a 2-m long pilot microdrill which makes a 50 mm diameter hole in front of the advancing main drill (2) equipped with a 132 mm diameter thermal bit of a conical shape, packer, the pressure and “contact” sensors, electronic and electrical packages etc.

www.sale.scar.org...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
How was Lake Vostok first discovered?

Via some infrared Satellite shot or something?
I mean, it's buried under all that Ice, how could one have realized it was there...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by KillShotMi

Imagine if they are right and Antarctica was at one time tropical!

Blows away any arguments about MMGW!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by PhoenixOD

or maybe the remnants of atlantis!

AHHHHHH...

Piss of f with Atlantis please! It's like i can't escape it wherever i go.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

In the southern hemisphere our winter is during your summer. Conditions become far too dangerous to operate in, so they are going to have to wait until our summer returns around November 2012 - January 2013.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
i guarantee if they start bottling the water, it WILL lead to a zombie outbreak

there is no question about it

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I I am forced into speech because men of science have refused to follow my advice without knowing why. It is altogether against my will that I tell my reasons for opposing this contemplated invasion of the antarctic - with its vast fossil hunt and its wholesale boring and melting of the ancient ice caps. And I am the more reluctant because my warning may be in vain.
Doubt of the real facts, as I must reveal them, is inevitable; yet, if I suppressed what will seem extravagant and incredible, there would be nothing left. The hitherto withheld photographs, both ordinary and aerial, will count in my favor, for they are damnably vivid and graphic. Still, they will be doubted because of the great lengths to which clever fakery can be carried. The ink drawings, of course, will be jeered at as obvious impostures, notwithstanding a strangeness of technique which art experts ought to remark and puzzle over.

www.dagonbytes.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join