It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tree Monsters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Tree Monsters are natural formations found in trees that are seen by humans because of the phenomenon "pareidolia". Tree monsters are one of the best examples of pareidolia, and one of the most beautiful.

The human brain is optimised to recognise faces, which could also explain why we are so good at picking out meaningful shapes in random patterns. This phenomenon, pareidolia, could be responsible for a host of otherwise unexplained sightings, such as the face of the Virgin Mary on a toasted cheese sandwich. In the same way, a chance arrangement of clothing, shadows or rocks could account for ghostly figures or faces in photographs.

www.newscientist.com...

edit on 2-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Those are awesome pictures~!!

Imagine walking on a month long journey, in unfamiliar territory, and hearing local legends of black forests, swamps, and quicksand, and then encountering one of these gruesome faces at the entrance of a very dark and mysterious place!! No wonder the legends grew!! Personally, I think I would LOVE IT!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Neat photos. Way cool. Thanks for sharing. I see these things and it makes me wonder about those ancient legends of dryads and the like.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Those Apple Trees in in 'The Wizard of Oz' used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid. Those make me a bit uneasy too

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Thank you for posting these, I love them.

My favorite is the first pic, the scraggly looking cthulu type fella.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I get the ominous feeling that these things were once living souls that are now somehow trapped and suspended in place and time...

I seem to recall a horror movie that had an evil looking tree that had body parts and faces of people that had died,or that it had captured,stuck all over and in it.Was it "sleepy hollow" "pumpkin head" "pet cemetary" or some other movie? Maybe there was more than one...
edit on 2-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
I get the ominous feeling that these things were once living souls that are now somehow trapped and suspended in place and time...

You too eh?

I especially get that impression from the third pic. Looks like such a wretched soul.... and maybe vomiting?

That one is just plain creepy.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Very cool thread isyeye, my all time favourite is this one shown below, though I'd hardly call it a monster....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

nope it was Earnest scared stupid.....

edit on 2/2/2012 by Immune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Dancing Dryads are fun too.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Amazing!......Thanks for adding that one.

It looks like a ballet dancer.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Here's another tree nymph

And although I'm pretty sure this one's a photoshop job, I still think it's very cool...

edit on 2/2/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
in Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer stories, he mentions once that there are 'night trees', which can move at night (and are presumably carnivorous).
if you use night trees to build a house it becomes a Gardinel (a carnivorous house). you can tell as it doesn't have a front door, just a blanket in the doorway. don't go in!!!
thx for the pics, nice.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

My first impression from that awesome tree image is christ crucified upon the cross,look how its arms are stretched out and its legs are together,just like someones whos been crucified and i clearly see two eyes,a nose and a beard...Wow...Really weird...

edit on 2-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
in Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer stories, he mentions once that there are 'night trees', which can move at night (and are presumably carnivorous).
if you use night trees to build a house it becomes a Gardinel (a carnivorous house). you can tell as it doesn't have a front door, just a blanket in the doorway. don't go in!!!
thx for the pics, nice.

Nice. This does seem really familiar for some reason, maybe I've read some of the books idk

I guess also of course you've got Tolkien's Ents.....

edit on 2/2/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I sooooo want a tree monster in my yard!

S&F

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I always see phantasmagorical arrays of fantastic machines and creatures upon the swirling patterns and colors of linoleum and ceramic tiles,are they the living entities of a 2-dimensional reality?

new topics

top topics

join