It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
Since the Russian scientists haven't been heard from in 5 days I have a feeling something catastrophic has occurred. The pressure from the lake make have caused an explosive geyser which destabilized the underlying structure and an eventual cascade of events that has destroyed the drilling operation.

In this day of satellite phones and back up power - if no one has heard from them in 5 days it's probably because they are all dead or soon will be.
edit on 2/3/2012 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

The interesting thing is you know they have sent continuous video feed to their superiors all through this operation...no way they didn't.
So of course if anything happened they all know what happened. Will we ever know...it all depends I guess on what happened, did it embarrass the Russian science community, did they make a mistake, did they contaminate the whole lake...did the lake explode...I am pretty sure missing is not an accurate description except to the American scientists who have been waiting for word.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Curiosity of the unknown has always been a characteristic of the human race, which I think is a fantastic trait! Where would humanity be without it?

Anyhow, I've been following this thread with great interest. Lake Vostok may or may not hold any secrets of life long ago, but the project itself is impressive and admirable. A quick search brought me to these images and gave me a better understanding of what is being achieved down there. I am anxious to hear if anything is found.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
Just to let yall know, that lake might be 15-20 million years old, but the water is relatively new. There is other lakes and it is damn near accepted that there is river-like passages connecting some of them. Water down there has probably been totally replaced a bazillion times over. That water is no older then 13-14 thousand years old.

The pressure from the ice keeps the deep water from melting. And though chances are good for some life (microbial), it is pretty much not possible for anything "advanced" to come out of there. So we can hopefully now dial back the fear mongering and outlandish sci-fi scenarios.

"not possible" wow really...amazing that anyone on ATS would know what is or is not possible in relation to the total unknown!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have a good question, if america lost contact 5 days ago, why did we wait so long before asking why? If they needed help its probably too late by now.....

And now just all the sudden Russia issues a news release claiming they are further off than they thought?

Sounds like a cover up happening at the bottom of the World.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by dancbr

HOW ABOUT PEOPLE READ ALL POSTS THEN REPLY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!
Yes i am SHOUTING!

ARE YOU READING?

I am not sure you realize but many people read a threads beginning feel they want to comment but they WORK or are BUSY and do not have HOURS to read..so they comment! Why shouldn't they get the chance to say what they are feeling in the time they have?

I have done it a time or two when I had no time to read but only scan the thread.

PLUS: I commented on the missing scientists and there was no post on it when I read the thread...by the time I wrote my piece and added my link and hit the post button, in that time several people had made the SAME comment and there was pages more of post.
edit on 3-2-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

ofcourse we all lean to the something went wrong, and have playful thoughts of the thing and other sci-fi images.

but realistically, we know they only have days left before they must leave.. maybe they're just 'burning the midnight oil' cause their running out of time. not to mention they're in a rough environment, maybe there's just some tech difficulties. (but sci-fi thoughts are just so much more fun
)

bottom line, we wont find out what's down there anytime soon anyway.. even if all goes well, apparently they'll just drill and come back for the sample of water that froze in their new hole next season. so we wont know what's there till december 2012 (dun dun duunnn lol)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceres

what i find interesting is how the ice has not froze the lake. Yes it happens on ponds and lakes worldwide but a one with so much ice above it? Whats to say that the ice isnt a few hundred feet above ground?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wasn't there an H.P. Lovecraft story similar to this. Some Dennizon from the deep under antarctica is awoken after thousands of years. Been too long since I've read it??
Some ancient life form that may carry a new disease or maleviolence for mankind???
My guess is maybe some single cell organisms and a whole lot of not much??

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well I've read through the entire thread and havn't seen anyone else mention this -

if this is supposed to be the US and Russia working together, how come it's only the Russians at the site? Surely if they were truly working together the team would be mixed?

And we might have a better idea of what is really going on!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I find it fascinating to think that this is what lies (or could lie) beneath the ice of Antarctica. I wonder if a discovery will be made of one of the "rivers" along the coastline and followed inland somehow?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceres

Its funny that? The image i mean because check this out here the second image that is.

Image here

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
Wow I thought they were supposed to wait... Considering punching threw is risking leaking tons and tons of chemicals into an untouched lake...

They agreed to warm water drilling instead but clearly they didn't want to wait any longer...
Russians....

Aside from that. Any forms of life they find down their in my opinion would confirm the extreme likeliness of life on Mars. Similar climates.[

I agree, nature sealed it for a reason.....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by Ceres

what i find interesting is how the ice has not froze the lake. Yes it happens on ponds and lakes worldwide but a one with so much ice above it? Whats to say that the ice isnt a few hundred feet above ground?

I ran across an article that said PART of the reason that the lake is not frozen is because of the amount of ice on top of the lake, which protects it from the -140 temperatures at the top.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

I think most people fail to remember or realize that ice and snow are great insulators. Look at igloos!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It is because something is generating heat underground. Likely geothermal in nature. Given subconcious predictive media about it :The Thing, Lovecraft's chutulu, the zombie virus from resident evil, and more... Plus known strange and unusual things like this novel virus here:

www.nature.com...

It is interesting that this virus attacks other viruses and has a protein that crystalizes in the shape of a merkaba (interlinked tetrahedrons)

They know something is down there, and at least some actors are after it for a less than benevolent reason. READ: biological weapons resources.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stainlesssteelrat
Great thread!
I remember reading about this drilling already 2-3 years ago. Basically it was same fears as presented in this thread: contamination, deadly virus spreading, etc. etc.

But this year it brings more circumstances and "coincidences".

-Magnetic Anomaly
- US and russia co-operation
- World's largest enterpreneurs traveling to antarctica just as drill is 40 feet away. I mean think about James Cameron, he's known for passion of exploring sea. Far fetched coincidence if you ask me.
- Missing scientists - THIS is worrying. May be nothing, but may as well be another "coincidence".

Are there any official sources highlighting role of NSA in this whole operation? Someone wrote that they took this research from JPL and claimed side of lake for themselves. For what purpose, they want to make another drill or what?

This is by far best and most promising thread on ATS since Jerusalem UFO hoax.

Hi, Stainless. I read about the NSA taking the west side of the lake at exohuman.com. I absolutely can't put the link in the post, I'm sorry. maybe you can fix it for everyone?

This story has me bothered. Couldn't sleep last night. Al Gore and a bunch of rich guys and Al's whole family??
And the scientists have gone silent.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
While the ice would offer some insulation from the atmosphere, this article mentions:

Most people are amazed to find that a lake of liquid fresh water lies beneath the Antarctic ice. In fact, 145 such lakes have so far been discovered. The lakes remain liquid only because the water is pressurized by the immense weight of the ice above, lowering the freeze temperature to 30 degrees. Residual heat from the earth's core adds the few precious degrees needed to keep the water from freezing.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Contact HAS NOT been lost.

Russian news agency says it hasn't and some ham radio folks have been talking to them.

Google is your friend folks!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Be a dear and give us a link, please. What's your take on the entire situation? Not just the scientists, but the big picture?

Where on Google did you find that the scientists are A-ok?

Ham radio, not good enough. Who were they?

edit on 3-2-2012 by imalitehaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2012 by imalitehaus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join