It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

Well that is good to hear. Since it has been approximately 6 days since they were 40 feet away I wonder if they broke through yet?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This could explain why the secrecy with the Russians. Other countries do not appear to agree with their approach.

April 14, 2008
APPEAL TO THE DUMA ON LAKE VOSTOK, ANTARCTICA
ASOC CALLS ON RUSSIA
TO RE-CONSIDER PENETRATING THE LARGEST KNOWN
SUBGLACIAL LAKE

www.asoc.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I don't know if this has been mentioned but what worries me is the Russians said to keep the hole from caving in they filled it with 60 tons of kerosene (lamp fuel)! They said there wasn't any chance of the kerosene getting into the lake because the lake water will shoot out and push the kerosene out!
Call me overcautious, but how do they know that for sure?
By the way, I read today that nobody has been able to make contact with the Russians and there is fear they may be in trouble (at least that was the last news I heard Friday).
Hmmmmmm........ did anyone see the movie 'The Thing!' ?

EDIT: Sorry, I see this news I posted has already been covered,
edit on 4-2-2012 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wulff
reply to post by Arken

I don't know if this has been mentioned but what worries me is the Russians said to keep the hole from caving in they filled it with 60 tons of kerosene! They said there wasn't any chance of the kerosene getting into the lake because the lake water will shoot out and push the kerosene out!
Call me overcautious, but howw do they know that for sure?
By the way, I read today that nobody has been able to make contact with the Russians and there is fear they may be in trouble (at least that was the last news I heard Friday).

My bet is that "somebody" or some country took out the Russian team before they could break through....so many don't want this to be successful, that it makes sense.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

I don't think they know anything "for sure" but I hope they are right and that NO kerosene makes it's way into that Lake, because I think it'll have drastic consequences for all of us if it does. It is the last place on earth that is left untouched by humans!!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Long time lurker 1st time poster....

Lets put a few things together - History event - for sure..

Al Gore, Virgin exec's and several of the worlds most wealthy on a trip to antartica in Dec Jan time frame.

Prince William in southern Hemisphere at same time - a little later though.

Lost communication with russian scientists then not...

Something big going on down south........

Just throwin darts, at a big dart board.

Connect the dots - please someone with more brains and time than me....

And BTW Hi to all..

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09
reply to post by wulff

I don't think they know anything "for sure" but I hope they are right and that NO kerosene makes it's way into that Lake, because I think it'll have drastic consequences for all of us if it does. It is the last place on earth that is left untouched by humans!!

True, I am usually all for exploring the unknown but I think in their haste to beat the winter they are getting careless and the thought of all that fuel dumping into a pristine lake is frightening to say the least!
About 2 years ago the United States warned that we should wait till we can use a device that was being built that would be sterilized and melt through the ice creating a seal behind it as it goes!
I guess since they couldn't beat us to the moon they figured they wouldn't wait for the USA to beat them to unexplored territory again!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zecharia
Whats under lake Vostok

The lake vostoc "Alien craft coverup"

This story is bogus and should not be taken seriously, physicist Mariann McLein does not exist! What I did read was a magnetic 'disturbance' was found at one end of the lake by the US military and they didn't keep it a secret, they just reported they didn't know what it was.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestinger
Another interesting story, perhaps related to the drilling just came out.

18 Mile Crack seen by Nasa on Antarctica

Even if it has nothing to do with the drilling, it is interesting that many Antarctica related reports are coming out.
hmmm, very interesting indeed, seems like the whole continent is falling apart...what if theres something really under there? O.o that would be pretty surreal

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by saskfarm
Long time lurker 1st time poster....

Lets put a few things together - History event - for sure..

Al Gore, Virgin exec's and several of the worlds most wealthy on a trip to antartica in Dec Jan time frame.

Prince William in southern Hemisphere at same time - a little later though.

Lost communication with russian scientists then not...

Something big going on down south........

Just throwin darts, at a big dart board.

Connect the dots - please someone with more brains and time than me....

And BTW Hi to all..

Hi there saskfarm

You forgot to mention about the large magnetic anomaly right next to the lake...... doesn't this strike anyone as odd..... a bit tooooo coincidental?
is the lake a cover story?

connecting the dots on this one may paint an unbelievable picture....... a very inconvenient truth

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
reply to post by Thain Esh Kelch

Of course I do , I said I did,it's just a shame that this Earth is being violated on a daily basis , fracking , mining , clearing forests to build , building,new highways,animals being displaced and the list goes on and on...

I'm all for moving forward and technology but not at the expense of our safety and the Earths well being.

The Earth and Nature have collaborated for a long time in killing off life. 99.9999999% of all species that have existed are now extinct thanks to those two.

We are not safe. The fossil record makes that clear. If we can progress a bit farther without getting wiped out, maybe we can actually save some of the species of life still alive with us.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
reply to post by Arken

At long last we are going to fulfill humanitys apparent ambition to contaminate, distort and/or destroy every last square millimetre of nature's untouched natural and mysterious beauty.

This is the beginning of the end for humanity as a whole, and I hope for the earths sake it really is this time, before we do more damage than nature can heal from.

What?? Nature has killed off 99.999999~~% of all species that ever existed, before we even showed up. Have some perspective. Our science and our digging and our mines and our studying might give life on this planet a chance to survive beyond the next extinction event.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Read this for a nice explanation about the lake.

Some great stats about vostok

the lowest temperature ever recorded on earth was found at vostock station. on july 21, 1983, temperatures hit minus 89.2C

they don't know about the lake until 1990

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Fox News - Missing Scientists Antarctica!

www.foxnews.com...

TextThe team’s last contact with colleagues in the unfrozen world was six long days ago, and scientists from around the globe are unsure of the fate of the mission -- and the scientists themselves -- as Antarctica’s killing winter draws near. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 4-2-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

According to some sources, they aren't lost...fox news..err..foxxed up. www.usnews.com... ub-russian-vostok-lake-scientists-safe

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
As usual good cover up we don't need to know the details, how sad is that!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Don't know how this stuff works but if the water is under pressure as mentioned several times that it will shoot out, is it not plausible that this pressure is helping to support the ice above??
Such a pressure escape could lead to the whole 'roof' of ice over the lake to collapse could it not??

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I think it maybe a mistake to enter this area with out a biological containment Protocol in place..I have read stories in the last few years that many of the people pulled from here for illness has been a lie..that there was something released from the ice hole from drilling that had made them sick...lick a flu or somthing that we have not seen before and don't have an amunity to..I am afraid of what might be released if this lake is exposed to our air.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
They probably realized they had further to go and couldn't break through to the lake before they had to leave and now they feel stupid for having lifted everyone's expectations in err so they're just not saying anything and left, lol.

Sounds more accurate than just about anything else! It's always better to under-promise and over-deliver but people do the opposite ALL the time... Silly human nature.

But whatever is going on down there, it's very interesting. The story is gaining some ground, it showed up this morning on Google News.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JMech
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

After hearing the team hasn't checked in for a while, "The Thing" is exactly what I thought of
. My neighbor has a Siberian Husky, gonna keep my eye on him

This is what we get for re-making classics(even though "my" version of the thing, Carpenter's, is also a re-make!). I didn't see the "prequel" to "The Thing" that came out recently, but from the previews it looked like it was the same movie as Carpenter's but there is a female and the characters names are just Norwegian - it even appeared as if the alien infiltrates the camp the exact same way it does in the Carpenter flick - through the dogs.) Totally off topic, but how does a creature that seems more animal than capable of interstellar travel begin to construct a spacecraft(after they check the shack Wilford Brimley is in, only to find he has dug a tunnel out) yet offers no signs of actual intelligence or communication with Russell and his crew? Whatever, John Carpenter rules(at least he ruled up to "They Live", then he ruined Snake and made an awful vampire flick).

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join