It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by imalitehaus

I have no comment on the situation at this time. There's enough speculation already.

I'm just gleaning the web for any info.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Many address that something down below the ice could affect what is going on top side. That is a possibility, but I find it very slim. Microorganism’s top side has had millions of years to evolve and mutate thru many changes in the environments. Hot to cold, cold to hot. From deserts to flourishing wet lands. Life has always found a way. It’s called adaptation.

But down below, everything has been in the same environment for millions of years. There has been nothing else added to the mix. If it does manage to get contaminated, most of the life will probably be killed off. But know this, life ALWAYS finds a way.

edit on 3-2-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalf

"Nature sealed it for a reason" Really? Or, the less dramatic, yet highly logical alternative to that hogwash is "It is sealed because of Nature"

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
You Know... im usually not upset, about the stupid things humans do...
But this time...
"this" time, its way different.
If you guys are modfiying the gentics of surface life, i can live with that.
If you wana risk a species becoming more powerfull than us; be my guest.

But when you go digging deep, into the bowels of the earth, searching for new things;
And you find, The "right" thing... phrases like: "Im Sorry" , or "I told ya so.." just wont do.

Dont these morons in the science comunity know what evolution is? They discovered it didnt they?
Should they not, Already know better; than to pry into areas that we dont understand, or have never accessed.
C`mon...
They know about evolution don they?

What if there is intelligent life in that lake, what if its not nice, and what if, it can travel to the surface?
They seriously scare me...

There are over 1000 scenerios, were; what they find, causes mass death on the surface.
(not to mention, that they can, destroy, 80% even 100%, of what lives down there; by exhaling air from there lungs)

(note)
Today, I read an article, saying: no contact from the russian team for five days...
( I didnt check it for credibillity )

Anyway...

I am offended by the science comunity. They are smart people, and should know better than to do this.

Go enjoy yourselves folks, what they "might" release, "may" destroy us all! ( im probably just paranoid )

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
While trying to find info on the missing scientists, I came across this, it's rather old from August 3, of last year, but still sad that the man who discovered the Lake didn't live to see what it held:

Prominent Russian geographer and explorer Andrey Kapitsa died today in Moscow aged 80. Kapitsa took part in numerous important Soviet expeditions to the South Pole. He is famous for discovering the sub-glacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica.

Source

Edited to add this!:

Contact not lost with Russian polar workers in Antarctica ST. PETERSBURG. Feb 3 (Interfax) - The Russian Antarctic polar expedition, which conducts well-drilling operations in the subglacial Lake Vostok, is working as usual, Deputy Director of the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute Alexander Danilov told Interfax on Friday. "Contact with them exists, is maintained, nothing happened there, everything is happening absolutely normally," Danilov said.

Source
edit on 3-2-2012 by WhoDat09 because: add link

edit on 3-2-2012 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by imalitehaus
reply to post by freedom12

Be a dear and give us a link, please. What's your take on the entire situation? Not just the scientists, but the big picture?

Where on Google did you find that the scientists are A-ok?

Ham radio, not good enough. Who were they?

edit on 3-2-2012 by imalitehaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2012 by imalitehaus because: (no reason given)

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-2-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Everyone who thinks people shouldn't try to get there should stop using computers, phones, cars and become an amish. Every major discovery was made by people trying to find something new. Without our curriosity we would be farmers working 16h a day.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillShotMi
reply to post by digitalf

"Nature sealed it for a reason" Really? Or, the less dramatic, yet highly logical alternative to that hogwash is "It is sealed because of Nature"

Hogwash or not, we shouldn't be interfering with an eco-system we know absolutely nothing about, if the exposure releases something that upsets our eco-system there’s no going back, call me dramatic if you like, I just call it as being cautious.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by Ceres

what i find interesting is how the ice has not froze the lake. Yes it happens on ponds and lakes worldwide but a one with so much ice above it? Whats to say that the ice isnt a few hundred feet above ground?

I ran across an article that said PART of the reason that the lake is not frozen is because of the amount of ice on top of the lake, which protects it from the -140 temperatures at the top.

It does not so much "protect" but produce pressure. This raises the freezing point of that lake so it's not actually freezing. AFAIK.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by baburak
Everyone who thinks people shouldn't try to get there should stop using computers, phones, cars and become an amish. Every major discovery was made by people trying to find something new. Without our curriosity we would be farmers working 16h a day.

I'm not convinced that any of those inventions had the potential to ruin an entire eco-system, actually scrap that the industrial age polluted the planet more than any time in history, it's not about evolving or being content with what nature has given us, it's about over population, greed, stripping the planet of resources and yeah ill-considered curiousity....
edit on 3-2-2012 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

YAY! they are still drilling.

Very cool

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Very interesting find. If life in those circumstances is confirmed then we can easily say that life on Europe is possible.

I am wondering though why don't they use sterile tools to break through the ice when really near...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Thanks. I did see that post earlier, but it just didn't make an impression on me.

I think what's bothering me the most is how much in the dark the general public is right now. There are things about this expedition we'd like to know, too.

But, at least the billionaires down there get to see it firsthand. It must be important to the world's high-rollers, for their own reasons.

Coincidental timing.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Very interesting find. If life in those circumstances is confirmed then we can easily say that life on Europe is possible.
reply to post by Patrik

Life on EUROPE is very possible, but the EU and the euro may be the end of it...

2nd

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I created a thread JUST for updates on lake Vostok to help keep track of the latest information while we continue to discuss theories here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by Zecharia

Interesting but that was from 11yrs ago. Certainly some fallout would have surfaced if their theories held water.

Please tell me you don't think 2001: A Space Odyssey has anything to do with the actual year 2001, eleven years ago.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by baburak

We should take the risk eventually, but as of now our technology is not advanced enough and we will destroy lake vostok. I want to dig down there and discover a Cthulhu as much as everyone else, but we can't risk destroying the life down there. I'm willing to take a chance and eventually drill into it despite the possibility of a dangerous virus being down there, but I think we should wait until we have better drilling technology as microbiological life can be very fragile.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
does anyone know what was found at the other end of the lack to have the NSA clasify the finding? I find it most dishearting that many major finds since WW2 are classified under the National security act. I beleive it is a way for the government to coverup findings that are major for the human race.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Anybody think any of these stories hold water? Pretty interesting I think. Maybe they've found a portal to another dimension... Anything's possible.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

No no no. I guess you haven't watched that many B rated horror movies.
If you want to follow the standard plot the scientists who open up the hole/cave/block of ice, whatever, are last seen screaming as some unknown monster kills them all.
It is the next team that goes in to try to locate the original group that unwittingly releases the monster(s) on the world.
So you see, as long as the original team is still intact there is nothing to worry about.
But should they suddenly disappear/go silent....then real quick rush to the bathroom, hit the kitchen for snacks and get back real soon so you don't miss too much cause now the good part starts

edit on 3-2-2012 by Puck 22 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join