It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I started this thread because I've seen a lot of opinions on fighting styles and martial arts. People often ask which martial art they should learn, or which one is the 'best'.

To start off with the assumption that there is a 'best' is not the correct way to look at it. From the beginning of time different systems have developed across the world to address certain issues of combat. Some styles are lost in history that could be just as effective today as it was then.

MMA recently is a theory that addresses the fact that all styles and disciplines have strong points where others fail. I personally advise an MMA approach if you are serious about defense and study. Here is a list of what I have studied and see as effective.

1) BOXING Boxing is a first introduction of "Punching Range" fighting styles. It encompasses fakes, jabs, crosses, straights, weaves, ducks, guards and most important, FOOT WORK. A little training in the theory of an Orthodox (or rarely Southpaw) stance and foot placement. I suggest starting off with this for a few weeks to get an introduction into how bodies move when in PUNCHING range. Southpaws (those that lead with their right hand) might have an awkward time with it since most fighter lead with the defensive LEFT hand.

Which brings us to

2) JEET KUN DO Which was the hybrid simplified "way of intercepting fist" system devised by Bruce Lee in a response to traditional Wing Tsun (Wing Chun) and traditional Chinese Arts. It's an overall punching-trapping-kicking range system. I highly suggest this style as a next step of stand up systems. It encompasses simplicity directness and efficiency of motion. It's a highly adaptable style to many situations when studied CORRECTLY. Certain "Jeet Kun Do" trainers off and online are nothing of the sort. If you are going to study this I suggest a guy named PAUL VUNAK, or any derivative school from his camp and his personal students. I also suggest this style for close range attacks in close situations. Basically a bar, sporting event, house fight where some douchebag is in your face and won't relent. It does though incoporate an "on guard" stance which is leading with the strong attack hand or foot. So for anyone right handed, they have to get used to this change in traditional stance that almost all other systems teach (orthodox). Southpaws can adapt sooner.

BUT...it doesn't stop there. Jeet Kun Do in it's default form doesn't address other aspects of a 'fight'. It's developed recently to incorporate 'ground game' but not enough on it's own. You MUST learn ground game.

Which brings us too:

3) BRAZILIAN JU JITSU

I specify the Brazilian method (Gracie) because out of the ground forms it has been the most complete and most 'successful'. There are other "grappling" systems out, but BJJ is always developing and in reality no system rivals it for the ground. Most fights end up on the ground sooner or later, this is unavoidable. BUT, while MMA is used on a mat in contests, there is the reality that in a street fight we have concrete, wood, etc that can hurt you. You have to know limitations of what you're landing and fighting on. A take down is nice, but your head hitting pavement can take you out, cripple you. Which is why a good 'stand up' system should be the first line of defense.
Highly advised for what's called 'SHOOTS" or "Take Downs". Very useful against larger and stronger attackers because the leverage of bars, holds, submissions can level the playing field. Great for females as it can exploit males that outweigh you by 50 pounds if done right.

To get to the POINT of a 'grappling' range fight. There is an intermediate zone where you can exploit a person's tendency to 'grab' you. This is the CLINCH...and for that I pick.

4)MUAY THAI It focuses on kicks and clinch techniques. Some kicks I think personally are wasted motion and hard for the average person to master. But the elbow strikes, knees, and clinch game are superior to most other forms. Leg strikes are a GEM when in a street fight. I've used them and attackers are mystified how before they even got to me I took their leg stamina out. One guy even said "Okay I give up" without ever coming in range of me. Drunk guys, taller guys...it trips their head up. Good for a guy( or girl) which is medium size and height. Krav Maga can also be a related substitute and has even more situational moves, but a lot to learn.

5)KEYSI FIGHTING METHOD or "KFM". This style is relatively new, but overlooked and is insanely intuitive. Great for multiple attackers. Great for a style of low analytical steps and pure aggression. EVERYONE should train or watch a Keysi instruction just to learn how the body SHOULD react to blows. Great for defense postures in close range, cover ups, and standing guards.

Weapons:

Most fights you might get in to aren't like movies where you grab a stick and spear guys like Steven Segal.

BUT...there are certain tools you can exploit. Most common are bottle, pool cues, and edged weapons.

The last (edged weapon) is something accessible to everyone. Basically 'carrying a knife'. ALWAYS check laws in your state on what blades are acceptable to carry. Some have laws AGAINST a double edged blade thought this blade is the best IMO. Most spring assist knives will do the job. For training in anything related I suggest any FILIPINO based edged weapon style. Which brings me to

6) ESKRIMA I think everyone should know basic concepts of 'edged weapons" fighting. The Philippines adapted this mastery because street fights involving knives were common there, they KNOW what they speak of.
I only suggest this as a backup or a 'maybe if' style. If the SHTF, if you happen to be caught in a rough neighborhood, if some ex con thug sociopath pulls one on you and you're trapped or if you live in or near a lawless part of town yourself (better defense is MOVING but I digress).

Since edged weapons are the most 'lethal' other than guns, I suggest you prepare mentally if you take this knowledge on. There are low odds of a guy pulling a knife on you but in my life I've had it happen THREE times. Every time I ran, which is the first rule. But if I didn't have the athleticism, I might be dead. Is that you?

If you encounter this situation and YOU have the upper hand with a blade, I suggest taking it to the full conclusion. You can take that however you want.

There are of course other styles that you can learn but these are my suggestions of certain styles which are in my opinion the most effective when studied and mixed together. I could talk about Pancrase, Shoot Boxing, Etc, all the little shoot off derivatives but it would be a waste.

Study or train in TEN MOVES of each discipline. In ALL ranges, punching, kicking (especially short and stop kicks), trapping, grappling. And you should have a good overall knowledge and ahead of 99% of people out there.

As always the best defense is not fighting at all. Most fights CAN be avoided, but there are times when they cannot. If you get into one, be sure to be FIRST, with the MOST.

Which leads us to.......

CONTINUED BELOW.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The single most important part to any of the arts is the person using it. Any style could be best, its all up to the individual.

My personal preferrence is aiki jitsu and goshin jitsu

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I would love to learn Aikido.

It uses the attacking force of your enemy against themselves.

I find it to be one of the most effective forms of martial arts around.

And the famous Steven Seagal used this art in most of his movies.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
7) ADRENALINE-THE SHAKES-FEAR

NONE of the above will work if you succumb to adrenaline and the flight reaction. It is a part of defense that MUST be addressed. Good fighter are used to combat. They learn to shake off nerves over time. YOU do not. The "killer instinct" is something that must be trained psychologically itself. Some have the 'shakes' more than others. Some feel the effects of adrenaline way more. Some VERY good and deadly people have lost fights and been hurt in situations because they "thought" their way into an ass kicking.

In any street situation, hesitation can get you in the hospital. You can lose an eye, lose an ear, be scarred for life, etc.. from someone who doesn't give two thoughts about doing 15 years for assault. Read the crime stats if you don't believe me. You have to get to a point where you can switch off the "will I go to jail" or "what if I hurt him" or "what if what if".

Our laws these days make it easy for the victim to think like one. If you've ever had a crackhead or tweeker or ex con 'sweat' you on a dark street while taking an innocent walk...you have to think about how much he regards YOUR life they have...which at the time may be zero.

Train the body to fight...but don't forget about the mind. Studying defense is no good unless you're willing to 'pull the trigger". MOST people don't tell you that part. Street Fights aren't a game. Some people really don't play around and are out for blood.

edit on 31-1-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
MMA hands down for defense purposes..

If you want to learn a martial art for discipline and exercise purposes, then any of the above you mentioned.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
I would love to learn Aikido.

It uses the attacking force of your enemy against themselves.

I find it to be one of the most effective forms of martial arts around.

And the famous Steven Seagal used this art in most of his movies.

Some throws from it can be good. But most "forms' fighting methods are ineffective unless completely mastered through life.

It's not effective to the common fight or even in a ring. Name one MMA fighter who's main discipline is AIKIDO in the last 10 years. It lacks a lot of real world application.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Jeet Kune Do, A style without a "special move list". Basically pure street fighting with no intention of getting hurt.
Also the best way to win a fight is to not have one, but if the need is there you should feel free to win however you want. Don't rely on a particular discipline, you can study every form of martial art if you want and just pick the parts you like out of each one.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Parksie

agreed.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I've been interested in learning one of these. but I never see large people taking lessons

Could anyone give some insight to a 6'4 270 lb former football player as to which one would be best for me?

I also heard about something called Krav Maga, would that be something that might fit my build?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
prefer the Wing Chun style of martial arts its effective

Chi Sao or sticking hands used for the development of automatic reflexes upon contact and the idea of "sticking" to the opponent. In Wing Chun this is practiced through two practitioners maintaining contact with each other's forearms while executing techniques, thereby training each other to sense changes in body mechanics, pressure, momentum and "feel". This increased sensitivity gained from this drill helps a practitioner attack and counter an opponent's movements precisely, quickly and with the appropriate technique

Bruce lee was taught Wing Chun and adapted it to his own fighting style within jeet kun do

an intresting read on this style
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoonyConservative
I've been interested in learning one of these. but I never see large people taking lessons

Could anyone give some insight to a 6'4 270 lb former football player as to which one would be best for me?

I also heard about something called Krav Maga, would that be something that might fit my build?

LOL...I think your size itself would be intimidating. That in itself is a 'defense' of sorts. Someone like you is going to attract the 'challenger' types who think it's cool to fight a big guy. They would be prone to grabbing a chair or stick or knife.

I'd say for you one that focuses on pure knockout power and speed. Not letting anyone get in your takedown range.

A more defensive style. Maybe frontal kicks and such. Muay Thai or Krav Maga might fit you.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by YipMan

Wing Chun and JKD can be synonymous. But JKD is taught more widely and by a man who I advise named Paul Vunak.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

Aikido teaches you how to not be hit and block an attacking strike.

That is all that is important.

Yeah, you may not be able to flip people, but atleast you learn to block off the opponents power transfer from their arms or legs.

Thats real world application.

I have been in real fights and with the minor techniques i've learned, have done very well in fights with more then one opponent.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Quickfix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

IMO Aiki jutsu is better than your traditional aikido. Aiki jutso is a kind of a modified version of aikido with all kinds of locks and joint manipulation incorporated into your traditional aikido. You still use the enemies momentum against them but with breaks and locks
Those are just my opinions though, Goshin Jutsu is still my are of choice. I would love to learn Liu seong kuntao (grandmaster Sikes lived and taught in my city before his death) though, i've met and trained with people that studied with Willem Readers.
edit on 31-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozvaldo
MMA hands down for defense purposes..

If you want to learn a martial art for discipline and exercise purposes, then any of the above you mentioned.

100% agree mate.

Coming from someone who participates in this sport, mma is as real as it gets. For technique, discipline and fitness some of the above mentioned would be ok...

But as MMA has showed us all these years from the likes of Pride/UFC and many more that a mix is really needed if you intend on using it for survival, those being...

Striking - boxing/Mauy Thai/Kick boxing

Ground game - Wrestling/BJJ

There are a couple hardcore styles aswel for street fighting that are pretty handy i guess 1 being krav maga

I once saw a video of a great japanese styled martial artist cant remember the name of the art he was fighting with but he was fighting an mma fighter...

The mma fighter took him down and bloodied him in seconds lol when it comes down to what is the best i would sweep all those fancy sounding martial arts under the bed.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Like I said, AIKIDO has some good things, but it's just another mostly 'forms' style which can be easily overcome by most shoots and takedowns.

It's lacking a LOT.

A you should never train in ONE style. That's the point of my whole thread. Did you even read it? Or did you just come one the thread to hold the banner for "your style"?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
reply to post by Quickfix

Like I said, AIKIDA has some good tings, but it's just another mostly 'forms' style which can be easily overcome by most shoots and takedowns.

It's lacking a LOT.

A you should never train in ONE style. That's the point of my whole thread. Did you even read it? Or did you just come one the thread to hold the banner for "your style"?

That's why aiki jutsu is better than aikido IMO, there are actually kicks in aiki. " Kicks are worthless above the waist , that is what you have your hands for"- Vince Christiano aka uncle Vinny.
edit on 31-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Yes, kicks above the waste are worthless..for the most part. But if someone knows how to use them they could end a fight. it's not necessary though. Stop kicks, sweeps, checks, turning side kicks, etc. All good.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Akido but a fusion of Akido with Shotokan with the emphasis on Akido One martial art that fuses Akido and jiu jitsu is.Krav Maga it is very effective but its not a pretty artform Krav Maga does the job its intended for but lacks finesse Id love to see Akido taken to another level to somhow incorporate the strikes and kicks of shotokan but retain its philosophy of ebb and flow .

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
When you body shot someone and they bend over in pain then a kick/knee to the head is devastating. Someone is definitely going down.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join