It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

May i ask how old you are? im just curious....

I get the feeling the way people talk on here that they havent ever been in a serious physical altercation just by the way the go on about how they handle the pain etc etc etc.......

It just comes off like someone who has played to many video games, or is trying to come across as some sort of martial philosopher........

People talk awful knowledgeable on the internet, and im sorry but your posts just come off as someone who doesnt have much real experience in this area.

No offense

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I'm in my mid-30s. I've been in and out of martial arts schools since I was six (Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Kickboxing, anything my town offered), until I was about sixteen and realized that I didn't like the idea of focusing on one school of martial arts, and decided that mixed martial arts was the way to go. There weren't any schools in my small hometown where one might train in MMA (the sport was very new to the US back then and it definitely wasn't as popular in those days), but it didn't really matter. I began digging through history and built a base focus of spartan, celtic, and street philosophy in fighting, cutting through the b.s. and politics of hand-to-hand, and focusing purely on the quick win. Later, I delved into a bit of yoga for calm as I realized that training was one thing, but it didn't matter if you didn't have that focus, that centering calm. Without that you're just playing the lottery in a fight.
For a while, right out of high school, before my mother died, I dabbled in a few smoker fights. Nothing major. Just a few back alley brawls for cash. My wife, who I married when I was 22 (she was 19) is the main reason I stepped away from that lifestyle.

I get what you're saying about faceless kids playing badass on the internet, and in no way am I claiming to be a professional, but I will say that I can handle myself. I don't fight anymore, but I do still train.

edit on 31-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuchullainuk777
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

I think this one is very true. I've tended to notice that the only people who really advocate violence, are those who haven't experienced very much of it. Truthfully I've only experienced a little bit, compared to some people; but once you have, you understand the reasoning of people who don't like it.

"Mental bearing (calmness), not skill, is the sign of a matured samurai. A Samurai therefore should neither be pompous nor arrogant." - Tsukahara Bokuden.

Yep. If there's one thing I've learned, the single greatest survival skill I can have around other people, is simply to keep my mouth shut. There are a couple of people in this town, as mentioned earlier, who are raving schizophrenics. I've already spoken to them more than I should, as doing so is the most effective way of getting a beating that I know of. Those people are steeped in violence; it is a way of life to them, and the entire reason why they are the way they are, is because of the amount of physical abuse they have been subjected to themselves. So there is no way that I am going to attempt to engage them myself; I would get killed.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

This is why i advocate the true essence of martial art .The spiritual basis of martial art is the very core of its essence or understanding if you do not strive for this as you develop in the art you are decieved.You never begin the path of martial arts with the ultimate aim of persuing violence for violence sake because as Uesheiba would know it is self defeating.Thats why i had said in earlier posts 'knuckleheads' would persue martial arts with less than sincere motives .I think i was misunderstood to have infered that mma fighters are knuckleheads noooooo knuckleheads get sorted out because they are thyre own enemies

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I would practice gun-shut-yu and boot-stompo.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

very cool man

Honestly I like yoga, ive done quite a bit of that, its an ass kicker.........

I didnt mean for it to sound like i was calling you out, i realized it looked like that after, was more of a generalization...

One thing about it, triaining no matter what you are doing keeps your mind sharp

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

May i ask how old you are? im just curious....

I get the feeling the way people talk on here that they havent ever been in a serious physical altercation just by the way the go on about how they handle the pain etc etc etc.......

It just comes off like someone who has played to many video games, or is trying to come across as some sort of martial philosopher........

People talk awful knowledgeable on the internet, and im sorry but your posts just come off as someone who doesnt have much real experience in this area.

No offense

Thank You! For your post! You are SOOOOO right! You get a bunch of people who play GAMES that have NO CONSEQUENCES....and they think they are Bad Asses!

This is how people get hurt or killed! Believe me...there is nothing good about hurting someone or killing them!
It means you lost control or could not avoid it if you were genuinely being attacked. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Never bring bare hands to a gun fight. My style, M1911 will defeat the greatest master of any unarmed fighting technique. Sure martial arts are great exercise and teach you how to use your body. However dont always count on them in a fight, you never know what to expect. I was once in an altercation with a man who was a karate instructor, he never saw the knee till it hit his groin. This karate man looked really funny pukeing.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I have found as of late....Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has been my latest foray for the last year or so in Martial arts. I have this friend named Gabriel Gonzaga who lives not too far from me who I spar with on occasion. He is better at it than I am but I have years of experience in asymetrical fighting techniques...so every now and then...he has to but the beer! LOL! Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantazero
Never bring bare hands to a gun fight. My style, M1911 will defeat the greatest master of any unarmed fighting technique. Sure martial arts are great exercise and teach you how to use your body. However dont always count on them in a fight, you never know what to expect. I was once in an altercation with a man who was a karate instructor, he never saw the knee till it hit his groin. This karate man looked really funny pukeing.

Well, no offense intended, but martial arts and hand to hand combat are more then just exercise and learning to use your body. And there is a reason armed forces are taught hand to hand techniques as well as shooting, because the truth is you can't count on a gun in a fight either. Even the best manufactured and maintained fire arm can jam on you in the right conditions and then you better know another way. In fact if you look at many wars of the past, soldiers were just as likely to have to go hand to hand with an enemy in the trench as shoot them. Not trying to give you are hard time, but there is no reason to forgo learning hand to hand combat for firearms, especially when you can know both.
edit on 31-1-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

very cool man

Honestly I like yoga, ive done quite a bit of that, its an ass kicker.........

I didnt mean for it to sound like i was calling you out, i realized it looked like that after, was more of a generalization...

One thing about it, triaining no matter what you are doing keeps your mind sharp

No worries. My aunt is actually a Yoga instructor, which is extremely convenient (wallet-wise), so I learn what I can from her, and you're right, it can be an ass kicker. Now that my son is older, he's 4 now, I find I do less martial arts training, and more normal physical activity, biking, sports, etc. My wife doesn't want me teaching him "violence" though that's not really what it's about, but she doesn't get it, so I'm respecting her wishes, at least until he's older.
There was a line in the movie 'Warrior' that I really liked, and I think it best expresses what you were saying earlier.

"They're not real fighters, they're just a bunch of guys who've seen too much UFC on tv."

There's definitely a bunch of that going on these days, especially since MMA has become so popular.

link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Is he the same Gabriel Gonzaga that knocked out Cro Cop with that vicious kick to the head? He is a very good jiu jitsu practitioner.
edit on 31-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Is he the same Gabriel Gonzaga that knocked out Cro Cop with that vicious kick to the head? He is a very good jiu jitsu practitioner.
edit on 31-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

I actually didn't se the fight but I googled it and yes...Same Guy. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Originally posted by prisoneronashipoffools

I don't think you should fool yourself into thinking MMA styles and what styles MMA fighters use is some kind of guide for real world or street fighting. The modern MMA style is effective and good in MMA modern competitions that is it. Real world/ street fighting has no rounds, no timelimits, no rules and definately no point systems.

What really annoys me is when people don't read what I've said, and then preach back to me the same thing I said. I said almost the exact same thing in the OP. MMA means "mixed martial arts'. It does NOT mean UFC. The two are synonymous, but it's BS. MMA is practicing a mix of styles and arts for a complete program.

It's the reason why I actually like the fighting philosphy, that Bruce Lee laid out in his books on Jeet Kun Do, and that is the philosphy that there is no such thing as a fair fight in street fighting and if he has to rake their eyes, pull their hair, bite them,punch, kick or twist their groin, hit them with bottles, pipes, rocks or other avalible objects to win, he will and he won't feel bad about it. lol

Correct.

Though I too like MMA, I do not see it as being superior to other forms of martial arts, or even some superior model for street fighting.In fact if you look at the history of the UFC, it was only with the addition of rounds and time limits that the modern MMA style was even able to evolve and prevail in modern competition.

"MMA" is not a form of martial arts. You could study ANY variety of art and be an MMA artist. Stop thinking UFC.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I like the style because it allows for some form holds that I didn't know were so easy to set within some of my other practiced techniques. Plus we are about the same size and I prefer to spar with someone close to me in size and strength. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think some people here get confused with the word "Martial Art" and Defense.

If you want to learn Karate, Taekwando, the 'forms' or 'sport' stuff go ahead.

I'm not into it. I would rather learn how to injure or defend from someone who's trying to injure me.

Trust me, street fights aren't a joke. If a guy is in your face tweaked out of his mind and he just got out of prison and he's in your face asking you why you're looking at his girl...forms and sport fighting is not going to help.

All this BS about "spirit", and Grand Master this and, random movie guy name drop that...it's no good. You're going to get your ass kicked and hurt. Street fights are about SURVIVING. Not 'art'. It's usually about the first with the most. It's usually about dropping the adrenaline shakes and striking. It's about getting the F'ing job done and moving on.

If you don't get that, then you're probably not going to. No matter how many belts or trophies you have.

edit on 31-1-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

Hey I'm just trying to make a point. I'm sure for some there is the mental asspect but not most. I was a combat Marine and let me tell you my weapon was my best friend. We were given very little hand to hand combat training. We were given K-Bar knike to chest training, E-tool to head training, ect. I don't disagree that knowing both is good but still martial arts are what they are. The reason the instructor was put down was not because he lacked skill. He would have beat my ass in a ring. He was put down because he had never dealt with real world aggression. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
I think some people here get confused with the word "Martial Art" and Defense.

If you want to learn Karate, Taekwando, the 'forms' or 'sport' stuff go ahead.

I'm not into it. I would rather learn how to injure someone who's trying to injure me.

Trust me, street fights aren't a joke. If a guy is in your face tweaked out of his mind and he just got out of prison and he's in your face asking you why you're looking at his girl...forms and sport fighting is not going to help.

All this BS about "spirit", and Grand Master this and, random movie guy name drop that...it's no good. You're going to get your ass kicked and hurt. Street fights are about SURVIVING. Not 'art'. It's usually about the first with the most. It's usually about dropping the adrenaline shakes and striking. It's about getting the F'ing job done and moving on.

If you don't get that, then you're probably not going to. No matter how many belts or trophies you have.

You actually have a point....but there is a difference between Martial Arts training and using various forms...the best parts of various martial artsin a COMBAT or STREET FIGHTING ROLE. a friend of mine I just talked about had me over to watch a vid about a specific type of Street Fighting technique used in the close quarters of the back allys and roof tops of Hong Kong.
The specific technique with the greatest effect is called CHAIN PUNCHING. It is a series of left, right ,left, right...punches aimed directly infront of you at the face of your attacker. You move your arms and fists as fast as you can and overlap one with the other almost like pedaling a bike but more linear.

If done right...and this is for use in super close quarters...it forces your opponent backwards where once pinned against a wall or even better...if he trips over something because he is backing away and can't defend against the punches....you have him. Warning...Little Chinese Guys can get in under your chin line and strike your throut so if you are tall like me...to them at least...I am 6 ft. 1 in....you have to sometimes use your knees to keep them from getting in under your jaw. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

I agree with you, and to direct this conversation back to the op, I'd say that Keysi F.M. is probably one of the better street styles in the world; very aggressive, with a focus on power and ending the fight. As you stated, a street fight isn't a ring or cage match. There are no rounds, no breaks, no rules. You want it to be over as soon as possible, and, for lack of a better phrase, beating the $h!t out of someone while being as protected as possible is always the best way to go.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

What really annoys me is when people don't read what I've said, and then preach back to me the same thing I said. I said almost the exact same thing in the OP. MMA means "mixed martial arts'. It does NOT mean UFC. The two are synonymous, but it's BS. MMA is practicing a mix of styles and arts for a complete program.
reply to post by PaxVeritas

I am not trying to start a fight with you, but I am not going to take brow beating over your mistake either. The fact is MMA is a "pop" culture term and relatively new one at that.

People have been learning more then one form of martial art and mixing them for thousands of years; even shoalin monks would learn more then one type of martial art depending on their goals and apptitudes, and they would mix them as well, they never called themselves "Mixed martial artists either.

That term only became popular with the rise of UFC and the other MMA competitions. And using a pop cultural term for what you do and then getting mad at people that apply the pop cultural assosiations to the term is a little silly.

And yes the term "mixed martial arts" is a modern pop cultural phrase.

Mixed martial arts

The name mixed martial arts was coined by Rick Blume, president and CEO of Battlecade, in 1995.[4] Following these changes, the sport has seen increased popularity with a pay per view business that rivals boxing and professional wrestling.[5] Contents

Anyway, I meant no offense, but the confusion is understandable, because of your choice of terms.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join