It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

I often think when they are going down from a hammer blow why finish it with a sledgehammer thats how i see a knee blow its sickening

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
Jeet Kune Do, A style without a "special move list". Basically pure street fighting with no intention of getting hurt.
Also the best way to win a fight is to not have one, but if the need is there you should feel free to win however you want. Don't rely on a particular discipline, you can study every form of martial art if you want and just pick the parts you like out of each one.

A person who enters a fight with no intention of getting hurt is at a severe disadvantage.......

I practice Krav Maga, and studied Kenpo for 8 years........

Theres never been a physical altercation where I didnt expect to get hit...........and because of this mindset my agression level, lack of hesitation , and absence of fear enabled me to overpower the aggressor ........

2. things 1. Speed of attack, and 2. Sheer overwhelming force and brutality........

That is not to say you kill your aggressor (unless your life is in danger) or dont control yourself.......

MMA fighters and practictioners of no nonsense martial arts will know what im talking about
edit on 31-1-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuchullainuk777
Akido but a fusion of Akido with Shotokan with the emphasis on Akido One martial art that fuses Akido and jiu jitsu is.Krav Maga it is very effective but its not a pretty artform Krav Maga does the job its intended for but lacks finesse Id love to see Akido taken to another level to somhow incorporate the strikes and kicks of shotokan but retain its philosophy of ebb and flow .

I agree... I think Akido is an excellent system and like many Martial Arts, is as much mental and philosophical as physical.

I think any martial arts that use counter moves and use the opponents force are by far the best.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

Exactly. The one reason I like Goshin Jutsu is that it is 5 styles incorporated into one. SO, you pretty much get a good cross training with the one style.

My mother dated Grand Master Durants (of Goshin jutsu) son for 14 years so I got to learn a variety of style such as shotokan, shaolin kuntao, togai jutsu, jiu jutsu, judo, ishin ryu from masters (4th don and above) of their respective styles. You can say I grew up very lucky, in terms of a martial arts lifestyle. My aunts husband was also a pro full contact fighter back in the 90's he's even been in Blackbelt Magazines. I pretty much got knowledge of the arts from all angles. Lucky me lol.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If your 'school' or 'dojo' has little kids or hot chicks in spandex next to you..you're probably going to get your ass kicked.

My two cents.
edit on 31-1-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Vaxar

I often think when they are going down from a hammer blow why finish it with a sledgehammer thats how i see a knee blow its sickening

Its all part of the fight game and surviving...

You dont wanna get down and dirty then stick to something fancy like akido etc etc...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I subscribe to the philosophy that one should avoid violence at all costs. However, there are times when the "other party" doesn't feel the same way. In those instances I subscribe to a new ideology:

Win.

When that time comes, I truly do feel sorry for the other guy.

I never aim for the guy, I aim for 2 feet behind the spot I actually want to hit and I don't release that power, till my foot or fist hits that "ghost target." Bones break, jaws come loose, eyes spit, joints pop out, and teeth are removed. The main thing to remember in a fight is that it's only pain, it'll go away. Don't stop pounding till your opponent stops moving. There are no refs in the real world. The control of pain and/or unconsciousness are your only allies.

edit on 31-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

You can break bones and dislocate limbs if you use Aikido properly.

Just sayin.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Thank you.

I agree with your lack of hesitation and 'killer instinct' emphasis.

In the end it's what really counts. All the talk and squawk of method and moves is good for books.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

As my earlier comment stated, some old master at the art was fighting an mma fighter in a tournement of some sort, theres loads of videos like this 1 check you tube.

Lets just say the grand master got his @ss whooped

Not knocking it guess it would be sufficient against a normal person but not against someone with simple knowledge of boxing/wrestling/Muay thai etc etc

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thats what i see without being offensive a lot of knuckleheads go for brute violent force without any spiritual application it can be argued ok, all martial arts have a spiritual or philisophical dimension, but not in the same perspective that akido does.It application has one underlying credo that of balance/love/ not living to hurt rather learning to live using the discipline of akido .i think of all the jap/okinawan arts it is the one truest to the spirit of bushido.A lot of martial arts are tailor made for thugs bullies humility is the true master of what it is to be a warrior

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have been thinking about learning some forms of self defense alot over the past year but I havent taken much time to it yet. Thanks for the great post, I find it very interesting to read about the different styles. I sometimes wonder what life would be like without projectile weapons, where skill and strength in numbers could play a larger role in deciding the future rather than who keeps the big guns and controls the masses.

On a side note, being the world seems to be slowly churning downwards, where the hell is Batman for all of this? Isnt there some rich guy who knows these fighting styles out there?

edit on 31-1-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

im not knocking other arts each man to his own and i certainly dont think akido is 'fancy' its more of a humility art so fancy and ego ist the thang to be honest.What i was trying to elucidate about the muay thai knee shot was of course its applicable but if a man is going down as in spark out he doesnt need a massive knee to ensure a cracked skull i mean its martial arts not war (its not jap peasants against samurai in real life n death duels

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Thats what i see without being offensive a lot of knuckleheads go for brute violent force without any spiritual application it can be argued ok, all martial arts have a spiritual or philisophical dimension, but not in the same perspective that akido does.It application has one underlying credo that of balance/love/ not living to hurt rather learning to live using the discipline of akido .i think of all the jap/okinawan arts it is the one truest to the spirit of bushido.A lot of martial arts are tailor made for thugs bullies humility is the true master of what it is to be a warrior

there's a 'spiritual' side to martial arts, but it doesn't defend or win fights.

Might as well join the old people out on the ocean front and do Tai Chi or maybe take a ballet class?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

It's all on the individual, first off, the "master" should have never let the mma fighter get close enough to shoot in on him. I can tell you this, I wouldn't want to learn from a sensei that can't back up what he teaches. A simple front kick to the knee is an excellent deterrent to a take down. As a yellow belt in Goshin jutsu I was beating the black belts. SO, It's more on the individual and much less on the style.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cuchullainuk777

Animals fight, survival instinct.

We have done it all our days from the dawn of Gladiators to the new modern day Gladiators of the MMA world.

Theres to types of martial artists

1 who likes voilence hands on, the pyhsical side of things the glory of winning and the other who likes technique, flow and spiritualism. Both of which i am fine with i just dont like all the spiritual crap to be honest but each to there own.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cuchullainuk777

Your post brings up the important question of which styles to use in certain situations. For example, you could be fighting for your life against someone with a knife and you'd want to use a style which both helps prevent from being stabbed while also letting you deliver a hard blow to make sure hes down. But you could also be in a situation in public where you need to defend yourself by dodging and only delivering blows which disable or throw off your opponent rather than cause serious injury.
edit on 31-1-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

.A lot of martial arts are tailor made for thugs bullies humility is the true master of what it is to be a warrior

Could you please name some styles and list sources? Karate is "empty hands" and like almost all martial arts, defensive in nature.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Krav Maga came natural to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

It is all about the individual aswel mate i do agree on that

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join