It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Martial Art Is Right For You? Which Ones Are Effective? What Style TO Learn?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You do know it is a military art? I guess you haven't seen their training video for the military,blood and guts stuff some of it like a UFC fight. All arts have their short comings but have respect for all.They have been around for years.MMA being a young combo of arts and your previous video showed how it looks like a school yard fight.Sure it is evolving but you see some fighters only really do wrestling with a tad bit jujitsu Matt hughes as an example.Some just do wrestling with ground and pound (Tito ortiz,Rampage Jackson.Or just kickbox, Chuck liddel.You do see wrestlers dominate. Now we have Anderson Silva ,Jon Jones,George st Pierre,Machida more strikers taking over.My point is they are really good at one thing and crap at another eg Koschek it took him ages to develope his striking.Or Damian Maia awesome Jujitsu is striking is getting better.It seems to me most not all just stick with their base art and throw in a little be of two other arts.Most MMA guys cant properly punch but Anderson Silva his Striking is brutal.All my street fights were over in seconds and all done with a punch. If you want to be in the fight game have a punch and it can be develope. You cant hail one above the other they all train different and have aspects you dont even know of or cant see just by watching. You should watch the series FIGHT QUEST one MMA and one IRAQ vet train in different arts and then fight at the end.They get owned even when they went to Brazil to do jujitsu. Anyway have respect and arts are about improving oneself

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticdog
reply to post by hawkiye

You do know it is a military art? I guess you haven't seen their training video for the military,blood and guts stuff some of it like a UFC fight. All arts have their short comings but have respect for all.They have been around for years.MMA being a young combo of arts and your previous video showed how it looks like a school yard fight.Sure it is evolving but you see some fighters only really do wrestling with a tad bit jujitsu Matt hughes as an example.Some just do wrestling with ground and pound (Tito ortiz,Rampage Jackson.Or just kickbox, Chuck liddel.You do see wrestlers dominate. Now we have Anderson Silva ,Jon Jones,George st Pierre,Machida more strikers taking over.My point is they are really good at one thing and crap at another eg Koschek it took him ages to develope his striking.Or Damian Maia awesome Jujitsu is striking is getting better.It seems to me most not all just stick with their base art and throw in a little be of two other arts.Most MMA guys cant properly punch but Anderson Silva his Striking is brutal.All my street fights were over in seconds and all done with a punch. If you want to be in the fight game have a punch and it can be develope. You cant hail one above the other they all train different and have aspects you dont even know of or cant see just by watching. You should watch the series FIGHT QUEST one MMA and one IRAQ vet train in different arts and then fight at the end.They get owned even when they went to Brazil to do jujitsu. Anyway have respect and arts are about improving oneself

I am always open to new techniques and perspective as any serious martial artist is however I only respect arts that work not fake crap that relies on controlled demonstrations that make unnatural movements look like super ninja moves. I have seen videos that claim some Systema guy was kicking ass on some other style and the supposed systema guy was not using systema but kickboxing wrestling or BJJ etc.. Perhaps you can provide a link to the military training video?

Yeah some guys are one dimensional in UFC but they still have learned enough of other arts to compete. A good wrestler has to have some practical striking, submission defense, and finishing skills at the least to compete to set up the take down not get submitted and then be able to finish. Although now days more and more you have to be proficient at striking grappling take down defense and submission defense otherwise no matter how good one is at his bread and butter he will get handled.

Jon Jones is not a good striker he is just learning. His bread and butter is wrestling however he is learning faster then most. GSP is not a great striker either his bread and butter is wrestling too. I saw Damian Mia's last fight and his striking has not improved a bit despite the hype that it had. Anderson Silva got beat up by a wrestler with mediocre striking who even dropped him a couple of times with straight right hands but being a well round fighter he was able to get a submission at the end. The point is despite guys being good at one thing they still need a combination of arts to be competitive and effective.

edit on 4-2-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
you know, for all of the knowledge that seems to be on ATS, this was some pretty pitiful discussion. Either eastern arts, or modern western arts.

Savate is a killer kickboxing art. I have met several savate practicioners, and they are pretty killer fighters. Street art, too.

Capoeira, especially regional contemporanea, is also a killer art. This is my art. Its descended from the street fighting arts which were in turn descended from slave-revolt fighting styles. As a matter of fact, I used it last spring in a bar fight. One dude got jumped by six guys in the parking lot. I jumped in and put three down in as many seconds. Between the constant motion, kicking, fighting from the floor and takedowns, its pretty complete.

In the harder games that mid-and-high ranked players do, there are knees, headbutts, handstrikes to ears, eyes, throat, and full-power strikes.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagoSA
you know, for all of the knowledge that seems to be on ATS, this was some pretty pitiful discussion. Either eastern arts, or modern western arts.

Savate is a killer kickboxing art. I have met several savate practicioners, and they are pretty killer fighters. Street art, too.

Capoeira, especially regional contemporanea, is also a killer art. This is my art. Its descended from the street fighting arts which were in turn descended from slave-revolt fighting styles. As a matter of fact, I used it last spring in a bar fight. One dude got jumped by six guys in the parking lot. I jumped in and put three down in as many seconds. Between the constant motion, kicking, fighting from the floor and takedowns, its pretty complete.

In the harder games that mid-and-high ranked players do, there are knees, headbutts, handstrikes to ears, eyes, throat, and full-power strikes.

Alot of people have talked bout different styles of fighting as well as methods or even Commercial Events...You are speaking about a form of Kickboxing art and you describe it as a Killer Art.

True Killing is not an art. Martial Arts as well as specific techniques for attack or self defence dependent on condition and enviroment or even space...as I brought up with Chain Punching...are still just techniques.

I know for a fact that you could take the best Practicioners or Teachers of specific Martial arts as well as the Champions of any Commercial Fighting League....get the best of the supposed best....put them out side in a field with nothing but their bodies....and any one of the people I sometimes work with would dispatch them within a matter of seconds.

There is ART...SPORT...TECHNIQUE.....then there are PROFESSIONAL WARRIORS.

Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Alot of people have talked bout different styles of fighting as well as methods or even Commercial Events...You are speaking about a form of Kickboxing art and you describe it as a Killer Art.
ri

Really? This is the best you have? Pfft. Killer in this instance is a superlative being used as praise. Example: "That was a killer trick you pulled on the halfpipe."
or
"That flip was killer!"

I apologize for speaking in slang if you didn't catch that.

And capoeira is NOT a kickboxing art - we use hands, elbows, eye strikes, and headbutts, too.

True Killing is not an art. Martial Arts as well as specific techniques for attack or self defence dependent on condition and enviroment or even space...as I brought up with Chain Punching...are still just techniques.

Not sure what you were aiming for here, but it's really rather pointless as the above use of 'killer' was in slang context, not actual killing. Although capoeira can and has been used as a killing art. It is a street art, used by escaped slaves and criminals, and retains that mentality - the only rule in capoeira is to be willing to finish what you start, just like in real life and in the streets. None of those use a point system.

I know for a fact that you could take the best Practicioners or Teachers of specific Martial arts as well as the Champions of any Commercial Fighting League....get the best of the supposed best....put them out side in a field with nothing but their bodies....and any one of the people I sometimes work with would dispatch them within a matter of seconds.

Everyone know someone who can beat the tar out of the next person. True fighters know the axiom that there is always someone better than you out there. Bragging that this guy can do XYZ is just hot air and wasted effort.

There is ART...SPORT...TECHNIQUE.....then there are PROFESSIONAL WARRIORS.

Split Infinity

I'll give you that one, and it sounded good. Nice, and melodramatic. However, that whole distinction of 'professional warrior' is asking for problems. Professional means you get paid to do it, which really means that the professional warrior is not anything more than someone who is willing to fight and kill for pay. Criminals do that daily - its called a drive-by shooting. Or someone getting knifed over a girl, or boy, money, or drugs.

The point is that professional have their on and off time. criminals are on 24/7 and live or die by their awareness. In a modern world, the streetwise killer has a better chance at surviving than the professional warrior.

just my two cents.
edit on 22/2/12 by MagoSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
no martial arts is better than linguistic arts..

completely walk away from a confrontation without raising a fist.. what better way is there?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

i personally practice muay thai and in my spare time i seriously do drunken boxing althouth i don't drink if you get good at this you can freaken matrix dodge peoples punches its really quite fun but sadly i will never be as good as jackie chan

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

Interesting....I am interested. That takes some doing. Even though I am aware at all times...being interested....well that's something else.

There is only a few real important variables when dealing with a DEDICATED OPPONENT.
1. Knowing your enviroment or being able to judge distance without bearly a thought.
2. KNOWING...not hoping...but KNOWING...you will win.
3. F=MA
4. Showing Emotion is a waste of Energy....an opponent used to battling screaming chest beating morons will get easily confused by your lack of emotion and if you happen to hit them hard one way or the other that makes them know that YOU know that they are hurt...a lack of any satisfaction shown on your part will frighten them.
5. The most powerful blow is a thought from your mind.

SplitInfinity

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos
no martial arts is better than linguistic arts..

completely walk away from a confrontation without raising a fist.. what better way is there?

I wish this was so. I am with you on this one but in reality...there are so sadistic sick Mother #@&%$#@ out there. I have seen things that you would neither understand or believe in places of the World where people do not think or reason with any other thought other than their own gain and their most prized possesion is the amount of FEAR they can induce from those around them.

These are the jobs the Team really likes to go on. It allows one to feel you have made a difference...but they are also the most dangerous as you can forget about any help from the locals. They are scared to death...and once we leave...another sick SOB pops up to take the others place. There really is no real way to solve the problems without total attrition....which will never be approved. Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I took karate and aikido throughout my college years. However, I'll be honest. As a woman, and someone who hasn't done or practiced any sort of martial arts in about fifteen years, I hardly remember anything useful.

I found aikido difficult due to the flips. I have neck and shoulder problems and didn't feel it was worth my time to exacerbate them by becoming truly proficient in aikido.

That said, the things that stick out most in my mind are the kicks I learned in karate. I was pretty good at them. I can still do them, and because I'm short and naturally defensive minded, I'm more comfortable reacting to an attack in that way and then getting the heck out of the situation.

People should play to their strengths and be realistic. When most of us are confronted with a dire situation, it is about fear and adrenaline. I'm not naturally a fight person, I'm a flight person. People are rarely going to attack you in those perfectly staged situations you practice in martial arts so you have time for the perfect reaction. Real life is a lot more unpredictable. I'm all for people learning self-defense and feel it is a good idea (especially if you're a woman). However, people are also well served with taking pains to make sure they keep themselves out of potential situations in the first place. And, despite everything, I've been debating on whether or not I should buy a hand gun and get my conceal carry license.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

Your a smart lady! I have always been against those two day or even a few weeks women's self defense courses. To be fair they do teach some good things about being aware of your environment etc. But the self defense techniques are useless because the women have not trained long enough to make it a reaction and will forget it all when adrenaline kicks in and have a false confidence that can get them killed. Better to get a hand gun and learn to use it and some pepper spray for non lethal encounters or where you cannot legally carry.

Justice department statistics show that 97% of armed women subdue or kill their attacker when confronted. It is exactly opposite for unarmed women. 97% end up seriously injured raped or killed or both when attacked. I know which odds I'd prefer for the women in my family which is why my Wife and Daughter are both armed and shoot regularly!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh
I took karate and aikido throughout my college years. However, I'll be honest. As a woman, and someone who hasn't done or practiced any sort of martial arts in about fifteen years, I hardly remember anything useful.

I found aikido difficult due to the flips. I have neck and shoulder problems and didn't feel it was worth my time to exacerbate them by becoming truly proficient in aikido.

That said, the things that stick out most in my mind are the kicks I learned in karate. I was pretty good at them. I can still do them, and because I'm short and naturally defensive minded, I'm more comfortable reacting to an attack in that way and then getting the heck out of the situation.

People should play to their strengths and be realistic. When most of us are confronted with a dire situation, it is about fear and adrenaline. I'm not naturally a fight person, I'm a flight person. People are rarely going to attack you in those perfectly staged situations you practice in martial arts so you have time for the perfect reaction. Real life is a lot more unpredictable. I'm all for people learning self-defense and feel it is a good idea (especially if you're a woman). However, people are also well served with taking pains to make sure they keep themselves out of potential situations in the first place. And, despite everything, I've been debating on whether or not I should buy a hand gun and get my conceal carry license.

NOW YOUR TALKING! Buy a GUN! Please register and get a license if required. Join a local Fish and Game as they are inexpensive to join and usually have Gun and Archery Ranges. Don't buy a HUGE HAND GUN! Buy something that can fit in your purse....6 shooters are not prone to jam....9mm's can be slim and automatic with a clip but this tends to make you unready to shoot as all the women I know never have one in the chamber....so you have to pull back the mechanism befor being able to shoot but both have safeties.

A woman who is trained especially a shorter femal can catch a attacker off guard with a low kick or blow due to your lower center of gravity. But make no mistake...and forget about all the tough Females Hollywood has beating up Men. Men are MUCH stronger...even one smaller than you...it's a muscle density thing. You may catch an attacker off guard but having a gun in your purse....is a good idea. Split Infinity

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join