It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coca Cola Conspiracy: The secret cause for the U.S. obesity epidemic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
the real coca cola conspiracy is the amount of coca leaves they import to manufacture their product.

they are the only company that are legally allowed to import literally tonnes of coca leaves into the united states.

of course they claim to extract all the coc aine from the leaves.

but that leaves the question, what do they do with the coc aine solution. the process is already 3/4 done.

the last step is the relatively simple task of crystallizing the solution. do they just flush away potentially billions of dollars of coc aine down the drain.

imagine the amount of coca leaves needed to flavor every can and bottle of coke around the globe.
do they get every amount of coc aine out of their product. it doesn't seem like it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Its not a conspiracy, its simply how the food industry makes money.

Biologically we are wired to crave fats and sugars. We need essential fats to keep us healthy, and we are wired to crave sugar because fruits that have essential vitamins and minerals contain sugar. This was fantastic when we were hunter-gatherers, because it was a mechanism to ensure that humans would eat not only meat but also berries and other fruits/vegetables/grasses. The food industry figured this out, so to trigger our biological cravings they just need to pack food full of fats and sugars. They then use salts and other flavourings to further adjust the craving of food. Virtually ALL processed foods follow this formula. If you go to McDonalds, for example, the burgers are packed with sugars and the fries are very salty (happens to go well with the burgers), so you buy a drink as well. The drinks have fat profit margins.

I browsed through the OP and i saw that apparently consuming fat doesnt make us fat. Thats complete rubbish. If we consume more calories than we burn we get fat. Fats have 9 calories per gram, while protein and carbs have 4cal/g. If you eat excess fat you WILL get fat, just the same as if you eat excess carbs. The easiest way to eat to excess is by eating the usual fast foods; they are either fried which packs the fat in, or they are laced with sugar. its just as easy to eat too many calories from fat as from refined carbs.

If there is a conspiracy, it is the lack of basic nutruitional education from our governments and the downright dangerous recommendations they give us. If you look at their recommendations for being "healthy" they always recommend foods such as cereals. Eating cereal in the morning starts your day off full of sugars, and helps to trigger the food craving. The cereals burn up quickly, so you are hungry again for lunch and you tend to gorge because you already have that taste and craving for sugar.

If people were educated about what the body really needs, and how you can eat in moderation to stay healthy, then the food and beverage industries would be toast (and the medical industries would suffer as well). Governments receive too much funding from those industries and instead make recommendations that are detrimental to us instead.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'd believe it. I know people that have cut down 20 or 30 pounds within a couple of months simply by erasing soda from their diet.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

I am amazed at the amounts of sodas I see in some carts at a check out lane. If it's bad for us, the production of it is probably bad for the planet and the other creatures we share it with.

Not to take this incredible thread off topic, but just in case some may not know, Kucinich is pushing legislation to force GMO labeling. Here is a thread with some good links www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Not only that, but:

Duke study links high fructose corn syrup with liver damage

I've heard of several cases of 15 year old kids needing liver transplants, due to excessive consumption of this stuff!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Good find there and they should of done it sooner then later as we should know if they have been using GMO in our foods without telling us.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
lately i've stopped drinking all pop, eating any mcdonalds or fast food, basically anything I see as a root cause of the problem, but what's ended up happening is everyone around me have become irritated over it, questioning me and my sanity because I refuse to buy any of this crap lately, anyone else experiencing this?
like there is now a huge gaping hole in my character because I can't buy into any of it anymore..

hya
yes i have
ive taught myself....dont let them brainwash me
my mind is my mind

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zvezdar

Yeah I recommend watching the lecture of the video because the main point of Dr. Lustig is overturning the linear model of consuming calories versus burning calories. Dr. Lustig says his whole point is to literally overturn the science of nutrition. The real conspiracy of fructose is that it is a poison with non-linear effects -- in other words it creates more fat than is proportional to the amount of calories it has. The fat creation is also just the start of it -- the hypertension, plaque and diabetes are all linked to the top chronic diseases besides obesity -- and corn syrup is in everything.

So you have to study the science of how the digestion of fructose occurs - Dr. Lustig goes through it, comparing fructose to ethanol digestion and also glucose digestion. There's several feedback loops of how the fat is created so fructose is like a multiplier effect for creating fat.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

Well its the job of parents to look out for their children. When they are teens then they have their own job to look out for themselves as we all have Free Will until NWO is fully implimented around the world

edit on 1/28/1212 by Sk8ergrl because: mispelling

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Yeah it's really about a dopamine addiction -- but hey check this out!

Recently proven to be more addictive than coc aine, a closer look at High Fructose Corn Syrup may help to explain America’s rise in obesity and the new focus on food addiction.

How HFCS rewires the brain for dopamine addiction

Shadowing the same receptor pathways of other ingested addictive chemicals, including coc aine and opiates, High Fructose Corn Syrup alters the transmission of certain brain chemicals including endorphins, dopamine and serotonin, which, in turn, trigger the pleasure center of our brains, leaving us wanting more. It is important to note that with the incorporation of HFCS into food products have raised more than 1000% since 1970. A 2007 study (Lenoir M, Serre F, Cantin L, Ahmed SH ), found that intense sweetness surpasses coc aine reward even in addicted and drug-sensitized individuals leading to increased aggression upon withdrawal and a disruption of the dopamine/acetylcholine reward balance in the brain. As the alterations on brain function brought on by HFCS produce many of these hallmarks of addiction - including intense craving, the inability to control or stop use, a pre-occupation with the substance, and withdrawal symptoms - the idea of dessert becomes elevated to a whole new level.

edit on 28-1-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: added quote

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I stopped drinking all carbonated beverages over three years ago, as carbonation has a negative affect on arthritis, as well as your colon. The first few months were really difficult, it was like an addiction. I had to re-teach my body to crave water. Now that's all I drink, except for the occasional ice tea.

I want to address the issue of fats vs. carbs. I tried the low-fat, high complex carbs diet, along with a heroic amount of exercise. The most I was able to lose was 18 pounds, I was always starving, and my stomach always seemed somewhat bloated, no matter how many stomach crunches and aerobic exercise I did.

I was also in a lot of pain most of the time, it seemed to aggravate my rheumatoid arthritis, not help it.

This year, I have begun the Atkins-type high protein, low to no carb diet. My stomach is flattening and everything seems to be normalizing.

The thing about fat is, it has a high satiety value, so it keeps you feeling fuller longer. Also, a high protein, low carb diet is an anorectic diet, meaning that it kills your appetite so you end up eating less. I have tried both ways of eating, and I find the high protein, moderate fat and low to no carb diet works the best.

The OP is right: Ditch the sodas, ditch the sugar. Eliminate wheat products.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

Keep Kids from being Coke Mind-Controlled is Tough

In marketing to children, Schlosser suggests, corporations have infiltrated schools through sponsorship and quid pro quo. He sees that reductions in corporate taxation have come at the expense of school funding, thereby presenting many corporations with the opportunity for sponsorship with those same schools. According to his sources, 80% of sponsored textbooks contain material that is biased in favor of the sponsors, and 30% of high schools offer fast foods in their cafeterias.[5] Schlosser shares anecdotes suggesting that students who disregarded sponsorships could be punished, such as the case of high school student Mike Cameron. He was suspended from school for an incident on "Coke day"; while his fellow students wore red or white T-shirts and posed collectively as the word COKE while aerial photographs were taken, Cameron instead wore Pepsi-blue.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Wow i Had to do a double take. Kid gets bsuspended for wearing a blue shirt? This world i tell ya.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fulllotusqigong
This...55 miligrams of sodium per can. It's like drinking a pizza.

Stopped reading right there. Flat out lie. A 12" inch cheese pizza can have over 1000mg of sodium. A slice of whole grain bread has between 135-240 mg and this is often seen as food for dieting.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It amazes me that Americans have to be told drinking Soda is bad for them.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

It's not just ditching starchy and sugary carbs. (But that's a good beginning) It's what you replace them with. Lots of fresh veggies, good fats like avocado, olive oil, and omega 3s. I'm sure you"re aware, but you need the dense nutrition of green vegetables and occasional fruits to balance. You can't just eat protein and saturated fats and call it healthy, although you will lose weight. For a while. Adkins can do some damage long term because he never went beyond cutting out carbs.

A calorie is NOT a calorie. The metabolic pathways of each type of nutrient are different. And while it's true that eating huge amounts makes you gain weight, it's not true that simply eating x amount of calories will fix the problem. If you have a glycemic problem, then it does matter what type of foods you take into your system.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
It amazes me that Americans have to be told drinking Soda is bad for them.

They all know it's bad. It's just that they probably don't know HOW bad it is and why.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Thanks for the clarification. So a can of soda is like a slice of pizza. Drink a 12 pack and you've ate a whole pizza -- in terms of sodium.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
most people who are over weight, obese or morbidly obese have one problem, taking in more calories than they burn. chemical additives aside and their potential affects.

most people would rather blame all the companies for junk food, than themselves for over eating it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this video.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join