It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coca Cola Conspiracy: The secret cause for the U.S. obesity epidemic

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by fulllotusqigong
reply to post by daskakik

Is the amount of sodium relative to the amount of calories similar to eating a pizza? Yes it is because there's a lot more calories in a pizza. But the crucial issue is that the fructose has a very non-linear effect for the amount of calories it has -- creating much more fat per calorie and also it is poison.

Wrong there are not that many more calories in pizza 210 for the info I posted. A coke has around 150 so 71% of the calories but 13.75% of the sodium.

Why are you so totally focused on this one minor thing? A bad pizza analogy, ok. Big deal. That's not even the point. Do you work for Coca Cola, or just their ad agency?

The point he was making is that they put salt in it to hide the horrendous amount of sugar, and to make you THIRSTIER. The carbonation hides it too. Ever drank a flat soda? Mmm, mmm. Hell, the straight up syrup they make it out of is classed as Hazardous. Ever seen a tanker truck full of Coke syrup? Warnings all over it.

If you put as much sugar in lemonade as sodapop has, it would be disgusting.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

The biggest danger is the monopolization that every soda drinker contributes to. A monopoly with the power to instigate health problems in this country (unabated), strong arm foreign governments and slash and burn rain forest.

Greedy corporations have manged to cheapen the world. They invest in our weaknesses.

I can agree but your not going to get away from spending with one multinational or another. Also, fear mongering and exaggerated claims asre not ethical alternatives to what they do.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yeah I meant it's cheaper so more is used -- but it's also more addictive -- so more is consumed and more is used.

In a study conducted by University of California researchers, 16 volunteers were given a strictly controlled diet including very high levels of fructose. Another group was given the same diet but with high levels of glucose (regular sugar) replacing the fructose. Over 10 weeks, the volunteers that were given fructose produced new fat cells around their heart, liver and other digestive organs. They also showed signs of food-processing abnormalities linked to diabetes and heart disease. The control group of volunteers on the same diet, but with glucose sugar replacing fructose, did not have these problems.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

I didn't say that there isn't more being consumed I said that it isn't because it is sweeter. If you put 2 teaspoons of sugar in your coffee instead of one it doesn't make the sugar sweeter but it will make that particular cup sweeter and it means twice the sugar in your system.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by technologicalsingularity
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Answer= Depopulation aka U.N agenda 21

the easy way to figure out the correct diet, is observe the folk that repulse you, like chav's/scroats/benifit bloaters in the UK, watch what they eat, when they eat and how frequently, now do the reverse! Little tip, the common vile folk, drink vodka/disarno/jeagermister/etc + cola, they love spirits and of course the alcofat = cider(future alcoholics!) when i was growing up i was taught that spirits and cider were for homeless alcoholics, my parents were right!, they love energy drinks such as red bull/relentless and most of all, monster, they love cola, small snacks such as pasty's/hotdogs/burgers/crisps/donughts that they can eat whilst walking that are approx 120-200cal, they drink drinkable yogurts such as yog, yogurts such as muller, harribo sweets , cookies, tea or coffee with full fat milk + 2 sugars or worse, sweeteners.

between 700 - 1000 calories a day can be consumed by just drinking 10 -12 tea or coffee with milk and 2 sugars, with ketchup or mayo as added flavourings on food (excluding the calories of the food itself) i know this because it's my job to watch people, look around, observe, do reverse and save your own life, don't become a number in agenda 21.

You gotta be kidding me? You actually believe what you just posted? I think you've topped the troll list for most people offended in one post.

You do know people can drink cider without being an alcoholic, now or in the future.

You do know some people on our dole are on there genuinely.

You do know some chav's live a healthy lifestyle?

Stereotypical fool.

The list could go on, but most of all, you do know your a stuck up tool? One of many adjective words i could use.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

But the fructose is increased so that it is in the same ratio as natural cane sugar. If it is sweeter why would more be used? Doesn't make sense. There is no fiber in sugar. Not even organic sugar.

Why Cane Sugar is not the same as Corn Syrup

Some basic biochemistry will help you understand this. Regular cane sugar (sucrose) is made of two-sugar molecules bound tightly together -- glucose and fructose in equal amounts. The enzymes in your digestive tract must break down the sucrose into glucose and fructose, which are then absorbed into the body. HFCS also consists of glucose and fructose, not in a 50-50 ratio, but a 55-45 fructose to glucose ratio in an unbound form. Fructose is sweeter than glucose. And HFCS is cheaper than sugar because of the government farm bill corn subsidies. Products with HFCS are sweeter and cheaper than products made with cane sugar. This allowed for the average soda size to balloon from eight ounces to 20 ounces with little financial costs to manufacturers, but great human costs of increased obesity, diabetes and chronic disease. Now back to biochemistry. Since there is there is no chemical bond between them, no digestion is required, so they are more rapidly absorbed into your blood stream. Fructose goes right to the liver and triggers lipogenesis (the production of fats like triglycerides and cholesterol). This is why it is the major cause of liver damage in this country and causes a condition called "fatty liver," which affects 70 million people. The rapidly absorbed glucose triggers big spikes in insulin -- our body's major fat storage hormone. Both of these features of HFCS lead to increased metabolic disturbances that drive increases in appetite, weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia and more. But there was one more thing I learned during lunch with Dr. Bruce Ames. Research done by his group at the Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute found that free fructose from HFCS requires more energy to be absorbed by the gut and soaks up two phosphorous molecules from ATP (our body's energy source). This depletes the energy fuel source or ATP in our gut required to maintain the integrity of our intestinal lining. Little "tight junctions" cement each intestinal cell together preventing food and bacteria from "leaking" across the intestinal membrane and triggering an immune reaction and body wide inflammation. High doses of free fructose have been proven to literally punch holes in the intestinal lining, allowing nasty byproducts of toxic gut bacteria and partially digested food proteins to enter your blood stream and trigger the inflammation that we know is at the root of obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, dementia and accelerated aging. Naturally occurring fructose in fruit is part of a complex of nutrients and fiber that doesn't exhibit the same biological effects as the free high fructose doses found in "corn sugar.' The takeaway: Cane sugar and the industrially produced, euphemistically named "corn sugar" are not biochemically or physiologically the same.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Damn, I just had a Coke too!!

Yes Coke is bad for you, so is Milk, Butter, Red Meat, Eggs, Water (containing Flouride, Chlorine etc etc), alcohol, etc..... basically breathing is bad for you, if you breath the wrong air or gasses.
There are lifelong smokers who live to be 100yo. There are children who get cancer.
There are Fit joggers who die of heart attack...while jogging!!!
There are pesticides in all food we eat, its a surprise anyone makes it over 25.
There were over 1000 US nuclear bomb tests.....I wonder how many cities in the US got all that fallout?
DDT was everywhere, a headache pill made your arms falloff in the womb (Thalidamide)...
Most kids in the 60s and 70s use to love the smell of Leaded petrol....especially Hi-octane.
If you stop eating, you still get fat,, especially European body types, because your body thinks its hibernation time in the cave, and slows down the metabolic rate and stores fat.

Just live the best you can, and be good to all living creatures, and love Mother Earth.
Id rather die at 75 with my facalties than the many millions in old folks homes, dribbling away and not knowing what day or year it is.....
So go on, enjoy that soda........just in moderation.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I 100% agree that soda in general is bad unnatural stuff.
The sweet taste itself is unlike anything else..I try really hard to stay away from all soda..diet soda scares me even more..

But that being said do we really want to draw so much attention to this that the government is going to step in and control it for us??Just leave it alone....
Good post Thank you

SnF

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Sorry but +/- 5% doesn't change pure wholesome organic sugar into toxic poison.

This is from a blog but it cites refrences Cane Sugar & High Fructose Corn Syrup Are Equally Bad For Your Health and people who like sweets will continue to seek them out with or without coca-cola co,'s help.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
The point he was making is that they put salt in it to hide the horrendous amount of sugar, and to make you THIRSTIER. The carbonation hides it too. Ever drank a flat soda? Mmm, mmm.

Does that mean that I should believe the guy although he is either ignorant or lying. Does Gatorade make a person twice as thirsty since it has twice the sodium?

ETA: Just found this Sodium Content of Your Drinking Water

The natural sodium content of water, however, varies from 0 to over 500 mg per liter (a liter is about one quart), averaging 17 mg per liter.

Plain water also makes you thirstier?

Hell, the straight up syrup they make it out of is classed as Hazardous. Ever seen a tanker truck full of Coke syrup? Warnings all over it.

Concentrated syrup has got a pH of

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
The point he was making is that they put salt in it to hide the horrendous amount of sugar, and to make you THIRSTIER. The carbonation hides it too. Ever drank a flat soda? Mmm, mmm.

Does that mean that I should believe the guy although he is either ignorant or lying. Does Gatorade make a person twice as thirsty since it has twice the sodium?

Hell, the straight up syrup they make it out of is classed as Hazardous. Ever seen a tanker truck full of Coke syrup? Warnings all over it.

Concentrated syrup has got a pH of

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Just felt compelled to reply to say that I've been drinking sodas like Coka-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper a LOT over the past decade. I would hazard a guess that it averages out to around one 12 oz. can per day during that ten years. Yet, I would be classified as underweight (5' 10', 140 lb male)...though I have an unusually fast metabolism.

Any survey or study is subject to how large and how representative the sample supply is. I agree that high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients in most soda's are generally not healthy, but there are also important factors like lifestyle, fitness, metabolism, enzyme counts and believe it or not mentality.

Coca-Cola and fructose may contribute to obesity, but it DEFINITELY is not the only contributor!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Or like drinking plain water since the sodium in regular water can be between 0 and 500mg. And in some cases may even be beneficial.

A Sodium-Rich Carbonated Mineral Water Reduces Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women

But the big question is does it really make you thirstier?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'm gonna repeat this information since apparently you are not reading it.

First you said you haven't even watched the science lecture because he equated drinking Coke with eating pizza. I pointed out that while pizza has more sodium it also has a lot more calories. So relative to the calories yes drinking a coke is like eating a pizza. You said a can of soda is like half a slice of pizza -- yeah except half a slice has twice the calories of a can of soda.

Now you are claiming cane sugar is just as bad as corn syrup -- but the whole point is that this is scientifically not true. I gave a reference by a writer who interviews the scientist who did the study -- it's not a reference -- the quote is from the interview with the actual scientist.

Since there is there is no chemical bond between them, no digestion is required, so they are more rapidly absorbed into your blood stream. Fructose goes right to the liver and triggers lipogenesis (the production of fats like triglycerides and cholesterol).

O.K. so cane sugar has a chemical bond and corn syrup does not have a chemical bond.

Therefore corn syrup is worse than cane sugar.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

You're being misleading "between zero and 500" was followed by 17 as the norm.

17 is a lot less than 55 for a can of soda and 17 was for a liter of water not a can which is about a third of a liter.

Sure you can also find fluoride enriched water. But it's totally irrelevant. The point is the sodium is to hide the corn syrup.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I'm reading it and have seen it posted many times before and it is wrong. I even showed you the math showing sodium content when compared with caloric content. I never agreed that a can of coke has the same amount as half slice of pizza I said half a slice of whole wheat bread. I then specifically said that a slice Little Ceasers 12" pepperoni has 7.27 times the amount of sodium than a coke.

I posted information that shows that both sugar cane sugar and HFCS are just as bad.

The point about the sodium in water is that it is there and doesn't make you thistier which was the point made in the OP.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I'm reading it and have seen it posted many times before and it is wrong. I even showed you the math showing sodium content when compared with caloric content. I never agreed that a can of coke has the same amount as half slice of pizza I said half a slice of whole wheat bread. I then specifically said that a slice of Little Ceasers 12" pepperoni has 7.27 times the amount of sodium than a coke.

I posted information that shows that both sugar cane sugar and HFCS are just as bad.

The "0 - 500mg" was from the site I linked above. The point about the sodium in water is that it is there and doesn't make you thirstier which was the point made in the OP.

edit on 28-1-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I'm reading it and have seen it posted many times before and it is wrong. I even showed you the math showing sodium content when compared with caloric content. I never agreed that a can of coke has the same amount as half slice of pizza I said half a slice of whole wheat bread. I then specifically said that a slice of Little Ceasers 12" pepperoni has 7.27 times the amount of sodium than a coke.

The "0 - 500mg" was from the site I linked above. The point about the sodium in water is that it is there and doesn't make you thirstier which was the point made in the OP.

A twelve pack would be about half a 12" pizza so it isn't like drinking pizza.

That's you writing a 12 pack is half a pizza. Well it depends on what kind of pizza. You first stated cheese pizza and then you changed it to Pepperoni. haha. Cheese has 150 per slice and Coke as 55.

So the question is does drinking a coke make a person thirsty. The answer is obviously yes. 150 calories with the same amount of sodium found in 350 calories for half a slice of pizza.

The second point and the most important one is that the sodium hides the sweetness.

O.K. it's pretty obvious. So comparing water to something that has let's see 17 to a liter for 55 for 1/3 a liter so that's 150 compared to 17 -- o.k. so water has ten times less sodium.

So you ask does water make you thirsty if it has ten times less sodium than a coke?

Probably not.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

This statement has not content. Yes you posted a link to a blog post but it did not contain the crucial point that you have thus far ignored.

There is no chemical bond between the glucose and fructose in corn syrup while there is a chemical bond between glucose and fructose in sucrose.

Five Reasons Corn Syrup will kill you by Dr. Mark Hyman

2. HFCS and cane sugar are NOT biochemically identical or processed the same way by the body.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join