It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Sky tonight.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitybender
Yes the sky does appear to be red.

It is light pollution. May have been made worse by low cloud.

Regards

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I read that sometimes red skies are seen as precursor or even during severe weather events such as earthquakes and even tornadoes.

There was a lot of damage in Alabama last night.

Granted all of the ideas shared here are pretty valid

edit on 23-1-2012 by ZardoZx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well since this thread is todays, last night a geomagnetic storm hit, huge tornados destroyed towns in Alabama, and we need to pay attention to whats going on. There were some beautiful lights from this magnetic storm. Also the photon meter went up really high, someone on another forum said it was higher than just before Fukushima.

And we just got a huge earth bound flare that is also a CME today.

spaceweather.com...

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...:44:00&window=-1&cygnetId=261

Here is the beautiful aurora yesterday from the storm

spaceweather.com...

Apparently that M9 flare is going to impact us on the 24th, so its traveling fast.

www.wptv.com...

Paradise Valley, whole area leveled by tornados, and there are other areas and deaths.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It's "norrsken" or "nordlys". It occurs often in scandinavia but is often green. It's becous of solar flarre.

Red
web.dmi.dk...
edit on 23-1-2012 by Sorgmodig because: (no reason given)

Quote from scandinavian forum

Saw a light phenomena of the sky last night, and the northern lights as it was very cloudy. So how do the clouds on the horizon to the north was getting a little orange-red, thought it might burn anywhere but this light grew bigger and bigger. So I ruled out also that the sun would be the culprit. Nor the moon gives me such light. Would estimate that about 1 / 6 of the sky was orange-red like the most. Then thinned out the candles disappeared as the big puffs of smoke and strings across the sky and then disappear. All this happened in about 30 minutes. Approximately 21.00 - 21.30, this occurred in northern Sweden.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Sorgmodig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I am so glad to see this post! I have lived in Southeast Alaska for more than 20 years, and rarely saw the red-sky phenomena until a few years ago. The have been increasing in frequency, and now you can almost always see a reddish tinge to the sky, even in the middle of the night. Sometimes it gets *very* bright... so much so that the snow looks pink as well. I really don't think it's aurora... at least it doesn't look like any kind of aurora I've ever seen before.

Considering my location, I doubt it's light pollution. I live an an island that is 50 mi x 100 mi, and there are less than 9,000 residents. The nearest town is 100 miles away. The next nearest town is 150 miles away.

I also have trouble capturing it on film, as it just doesn't show up very well. It looks very muted when recorded even though it looks very bright to the naked eye. When I mention it to people, they say the same thing: "Weird."

The thing that interests me the most is the increase in frequency. The first winter I noticed it, I saw the phenomena a handful of times. This winter, the sky gets bright red almost nightly (sometimes it will dim & get bright again more than once in a night)... But as I said earlier, this winter the sky seems to almost always have a red cast during the night.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
So these were taken on my phone & the quality is not good (sorry!) but I think it gives the general idea. The quality of the 2nd video is even worse , BUT I think the color of the sky in the beginning & end of the clip are much closer to the color it looked in person.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

i saw something in the clouds aswell here in Toronto, the cloud was very strange, it had somestrange white light.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by EmGem

Your links aren't working.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Here's the links to the video:
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Like I said, the video doesn't do it justice. It is bright and looks *really* red. I'm sure part of it is my phone camera trying to auto-correct the levels. At the very end of the 2nd video, it looks much more representational of what it actually looked like... but it is still quite muted.

Next time I will turn my phone sideways so the video has the correct orientation!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Can anyone say 1.000,000,000 watts aimed at S. Carolina to try and rattle that little crack in the earth that has caused quite a lot of quaking in the past.

I will give you a hint...........it rhymes with sharp and has become quite a conspiracy these days.

I know....I know....that was lame

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
We have the same thing over here in Germany from time to time, so I don't think its the sand coming from the Sahara Desert thats responsible for the red sky. I've also tried to take pictures but as OP mentioned it's to dark to get a good shot during nightime. Also, this would we way to easy to fake to be taken as genuine.
Nevertheless, I'll try to make a video next time we get another blood-red sky so we can shed some light on this mystery.

By the way, this is my 100th post on ATS and I'm proud to be part of this great forum! Thanks for all the great stories, educational and entertaining!
edit on 1-2-2012 by Anim8tr because: 100th post

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if it were some kind of natural weather phenomena, but the thing I find most strange is the increased frequency. From a handful of times a few years ago to a nightly occurrence. Something has definitely changed.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
See this?

Inspection of the area surrounding Madrid reveals that the effects of light pollution caused by a single large conglomeration can be felt up to 100 km (62 mi) away from the center. Global effects of light pollution are also made obvious. The entire area consisting of southern England, Netherlands, Belgium, west Germany, and northern France have a sky brightness of at least 2 to 4 times above normal (see above right). The only places in continental Europe where the sky can attain its natural darkness is in northern Scandinavia and in islands far from the continent. In North America the situation is comparable. From the east coast to west Texas up to the Canadian border there is very significant global light pollution.

en.wikipedia.org...

The trouble with street lights is they not only leak light upwards but sideward's, pushing their orange haze all roads. The effect of this is made worse depending on weather. For those in far reaching areas of the world, you might want to note what direction you are seeing this phenomena of yours. Facing towards any highly populated area you are likely to be seeing this and this alone.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
That makes sense in many cases... but I don't think it applies to my area, do you? I live on an island in Southeast Alaska (population 8,000). The nearest towns are 100 miles to the North (population 31,000), 150 miles to the South (population 7,000), open Pacific to the West, and no towns for several hundred miles to the east. Even right now, although the sky is "dark" it has a very noticeable reddish tint. I'm looking out my windows that face South. Perhaps the light pollution can be a lot stronger - even from minimal lights - than I'm assuming.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EmGem

The thing that interests me the most is the increase in frequency. The first winter I noticed it, I saw the phenomena a handful of times. This winter, the sky gets bright red almost nightly (sometimes it will dim & get bright again more than once in a night)... But as I said earlier, this winter the sky seems to almost always have a red cast during the night.

I totally agree with you here, EmGem! I noticed it last winter, somewhat. It was a new one on me, and I'm no young chick. This winter (if you want to CALL it that, lol) it has been much more frequent, and much more pronounced. Also, it tends to 'migrate' around the sky... what I mean is, one night, it's due west, couple weeks later it may be to the north-east. Then it may turn up southward. One night, I kid you not, it spanned from the NW all the way around to due South.

I keep thinking red dwarf INCOMING... then I think "Nawwww... I need to lay off of ATS!"

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmGem
So these were taken on my phone & the quality is not good (sorry!) but I think it gives the general idea. The quality of the 2nd video is even worse , BUT I think the color of the sky in the beginning & end of the clip are much closer to the color it looked in person.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
kinda reminds me of this

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravitybender
Just pulled this of SCDOT traffic cams at Myrtle Beach.

It looks like something is in the sky!

A falling minor meteor is my bet.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EmGem

I'm inclined to agree with Suspiria, it probably is light pollution that you are seeing.

Is it possible that someone has put up some lights in the area recently? The light pollution from a single sodium vapor light can create light pollution that can be seen from many miles away.

Have you tried heading towards the area of sky where the glow is strongest?

Since you are having no luck capturing the glow with your current camera, might I suggest you try to get hold of a DSLR and tripod. Even an older DSLR would quite easily reveal any light pollution, and show you where the source is located.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
i've been looking up possible causes that don't relate to "light pollution" (more specifically "sky glow"). i think it's likely atmospheric and you're seeing it more often because of a change in the atmosphere.

link to simple explanation: scienceblogs.com...

"The atmosphere is better at scattering blue light away, which means that blue light gets dispersed all throughout the sky pretty easily. But red light is more likely to pass directly through, which is why things appear redder on the horizon: more of the bluer light gets scattered away, while the red light comes (mostly) through to you."

this leads me to believe the atmosphere is different than it used to be and now you're seeing the red light all the way though the night instead of just after sunset.

CRUD: i meant to post this in the other most recent thread.
edit on 14-3-2012 by pasiphae because: posted in wrong thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join