It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Sky tonight.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Its 1:20 am, the sky is red/pink. Im trying to get a photo of it but my phone isnt capturing it very well.

Im aware of the old sayings, but those are for sunset and dawn, not the middle of the night.

By the way i live near the northern coast of SC

Anybody else seeing this?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Try your best to get visual evidence mate.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Just pulled this of SCDOT traffic cams at Myrtle Beach.

It looks like something is in the sky!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
That picture looks like a some type of particle explosion ... I don't wanna use the world nuclear or atomic

Also it could just be a lamp in the distance .... thats not as cool tho
edit on 23-1-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Cool 80s song about red skies.

I also found this.
Red Sky At Night

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Here's another camera shot from a completely different camera.

Yes the sky does appear to be red.

Also link to SCDOT

SCDOT CAMS

MYRTLE BEACH CAMS

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
That looks like that same stuff that happened when the Northern Lights came real low last time. There was an M-9 flair yesterday. see here However, it doesn't seem that it will get here for a few days.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

Dude, that is freakishly wild!? I live S of Charlotte and I just checked - all we have is wet dreary misty cold fog. Can't even see the stars, which I usually can living in the country.

Maybe it's atmospheric? City lights reflecting off the low cloud deck? Ya'll got clouds there or can you see the stars?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I cant manage to take a good photo. Camera says its to dark.. thanks for backing me up guys

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Nothing to report here in the southern Nevada Desert. Clear skies and partially cloudy, no moon or moonlight visible from my window. It's a new moon tomorrow anyway, chinese new years. Think this might coincide with the lunar calender in some weird way? I feel like the true start of 2012 may come with the Chinese New Year. We'll see tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ZardoZx

I've actually got slightly pinkish skies here in the Upstate. I don't know what in the world is going on. Anyway, I would watch the news tomorrow for a giant fire or some kind of plant explosion.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ZardoZx

Do you have any idea what is showing on the hwy 17N traffic cam (#11), it appears to be glowing very brightly but what I would like to know is the direction the traffic cam is facing.
edit on 23-1-2012 by uscitizen859 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I would assume north? and I think camera ten is facing south

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
almost and hour later and its just predominant, i found another camera able to pick it up

prominigolf.bounceme.net...

also, please keep in mind that I live an hour and half south of myrtle beach where these cameras are and its just as red and pink here
edit on 23-1-2012 by ZardoZx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
So, any word on what the phenomena is?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I don't know for certain, but one possiblility is dust from the Sahara desert. It blows across the Atlantic from time to time, apparently it is happening now according to this article from January 19th.

Just like pollution it would change the colors.

Here are some more articles on the phenomenon:

This TOMS aerosol movie, which spans the interval June 13 through 21, 2001, shows a cloud of African dust crossing the Atlantic and raining bits of the Sahara Desert over the Caribbean.

nasa

We've found that dust outbreaks, along with other factors, seem to be shifting tropical precipitation (which typically occurs in a narrow band where winds from the northern and southern hemispheres come together) northward by about four or five degrees, which is about 240 to 280 miles at the equator.

another nasa article

The Caribbean islands and south Florida are bracing for their next major weather event. It's not a hurricane, though; it's a dust storm, an enormous cloud of red sand. And get this: It's kicked up in the Sahara Desert and rides the trade winds all the way across the Atlantic.

npr

Scientists say those are not clouds; that is dust from the Sahara desert. Giant sand storms — often larger than Spain — routinely blow all the way across the Atlantic, reaching South America, the Caribbean, and the southeastern United States.

"There have been times when airports in the Caribbean have been closed down for lack of visibility from these dust storms," said Eugene Shinn, a senior geologist at the U.S. Geological Survey in St. Petersburg, Fla. "It shows we're all linked together in one way or the other, that's for sure."

abc

edit on 23-1-2012 by pianopraze because: added quotes

edit on 23-1-2012 by pianopraze because: added image

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by ZardoZx

I've actually got slightly pinkish skies here in the Upstate. I don't know what in the world is going on. Anyway, I would watch the news tomorrow for a giant fire or some kind of plant explosion.

I'm in the upstate part of SC and I have been seeing this strange phenomenon for many months-- even back when folks were screamin' "Elenin's on its way." I've searched the Internet for an explanation, I've commented in threads (but never started one) and I've had my husband come outside and look. (He said 'hmmm... weird.') The most "hmmm... weird" thing of all, is that it always occurs well after sunset, it is almost never in the actual location of a sunset, and it seems to drift by the seasons. I've seen it further to the north and also further to the south. This strange phenomenon has been going on in my world for about 9 months now. It is not always as pronounced as you saw last night, but once you see it you'll realize that the red hue is always present at night to some degree, right there near the westerly horizon.

I'm glad someone else sees this. Pray tell, what could it be?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Probably a silly suggestion, but could it not simply be light pollution?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

I think PianoPraze has a good idea. Very well could be wind from the Sahara having blown our way. Add to it the major dust storms the southwest had last year, the reddish hue of the sand in both places, and sand particles' propensity to stay in the atmosphere forever-and-a-day, and I think we may have a winner.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ZardoZx

If what you're seeing is similar to that on the webcam images it looks like city lights reflecting off low clouds/smoke/smog.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join