It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Such Animosity Towards Southerners?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Also, if I remember correctly the South isn't exactly the only place that has mistreated people of other ethnicity, didn't Chinese immigrants get treated lower then dirt out west?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I say let them hate.
The North is the most disgusting place full of pompous, crass buffoons.
The weather is also terrible.
Nothing worse than all these ingrate, pseudo intellectual Yankees moving down here and trying to tell us how to do things.
But then we're the ignorant ones because we don't do things they're way (an inferior way).
If we're so dumb, let us be dumb in peace. Never come here.
Stay North and leave us alone. Please.
I'll happily return the favor.
edit on 23-1-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by baalbuster

Yep, people all of over the country can be bad to each other. It's just the South made sure it got broadcast on the Nightly News, encapsulated as law, and then celebrated as "Southern Pride."

www.theonion.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
About time someone mentioned this. I see it too, but it's nothing new to me. Especially since my southern drawl is far from minor.

Here's the real scoop: do we have trailer parks with dead cars littered all over, young women leading a litter of diapered, dirty kids around while she puffs on a Marlboro? Do we have cars made more of duct tape than of metal? Do we have old men who sit around whittling with a loaded shotgun within easy reach, all the time with a big "chaw of baccy" in their jaws?

Yep.

Does the Northeast have businessmen who take extreme pleasure in tossing out widows and orphans into the street, people who will rob you blind at a moment's notice, and a culture full of those who don't care if you live or die, so long as you don't die in their way?

Yep.

The South also has a rich history, some of the most intelligent minds on the planet, a culture that refuses to bend its will to others, and some of the most hospitable people in the world.

The north also has great monuments, deep thinkers, and extreme humanitarians.

That's gonna pop a lot of people's bubbles, I know.... it's hard to realize that the people you looked down on your whole life are not what you thought they were. I know this because it happened to me. I drove a truck OTR for eight years, and have traveled to every corner and crevice of this country. It happened to me, in New York. You see, as a southern redneck, I had always considered New York sort of like a third-world country that had grown out of what used to be a decent place. Until I got there. Yes, it's crowded. Yes, it's rude to most outsiders. But the real truth is, and I will explain this more in a moment, there's very little difference between New York and where I live. It's a whole city full of "Yankee rednecks".

I saw, in New York City, a bunch of people who were themselves fighting against what they saw as injustices, who did whatever they had to do to get by, who had a rich culture that they were fiercely proud of. And that's what we do here in Alabama. A good example: in New York, you don't stop moving... no one stops moving. Motion is what makes that place what it is. Now for someone like me, that's terrible! I talk slow, move slow, take life easy, the way I always thought it should be. But I can do that down here, because I have plenty of room to stop and sit and smell the roses without being in anyone's way. You slow down in New York and you just got in everyone's way! There are so many people in such a small space, there's no room, no time to slow down. Everything is in motion because it has to be.

Take a 18-wheeler into one of the boroughs sometime. They just don't fit! But they have to be there. So, if traffic blocks you in, the police will order you to actually run over parked cars in order to keep things moving. Nowhere else in the nation have I seen that! But in New York, it makes sense. Things can't stop because you double-parked your car. Down here, that car is someone's private property; you destroy it because you're in a hurry, and there's a good chance there's about to be a gunfight. we consider it a basic human right to be able to slow down and enjoy life.

What I am trying to say is, these are different cultures. Not good, not bad, but different. Do I prefer mine? YES! I actually do like New York, but 8 hours of it at once is all I can take. Maybe that's because of the receptions I got when I was there... as soon as I started talking, people seemed to try to strike up conversations with me just to hear my accent.

Or maybe it was the fact that after 911, one of the first states to send help was... Alabama.

Now don't get me wrong: if you come down here and start talking to me, one of the first things out of my tobacco-stained lips will probably be, "Where you from, Yankee?" That's not an insult; it's a veiled warning that you're in a different culture now; respect it!

Now, a little background for those Yankees reading this on the culture, and on why we do things the way we do. I already mentioned we have the luxury of living a little slower and easier, because we have more room. It's not a North-South thing, but a city-country thing. The larger cities in the South (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston) all move pretty fast too, and Iowa moves nice and slow like we do. But there is simply more rural area in the Southeast than in the Northeast.

We tend to place a lot of importance on our history. We are a practical people, in large part because we have to make do with less. Remember that after the Civil War War of Northern Aggression, the victors took a lot of spoils... enough so many areas were financially wiped clean and are just now really recovering. We have had to learn how to do more with less, and when we do get something, we don't consider it disposable. That new car should last ten years, or it's a dud. So as quality of products wanes in the light of "progress", we look to the older products that were made to last.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
We are also heavily dependent on each other. In areas where concrete is an endangered species and wildlife roams your front yard, sometimes the vagrancies of that wildlife or of the weather can place one in a situation where they need help. Everyone here knows it, and everyone here is prepared for it: they will have loads of help ready and willing to do whatever needs doing should a tornado blow through their living room or they get treed by a very angry mamma black bear. But that also means one must respect their neighbors in order to have that sort of backup. That's where personal property comes in; you get the name as a thief around here, and you're on your own... and probably won't survive long. If you do make it, you'll spend a lot of time in misery. No one will force that on you; they simply won't get involved.

Not just anyone can handle it out here. Many come here and try, but they can;t adjust to the independence and self-reliance needed to make sure other will help out in an emergency. They can't handle the live and let live attitude. They leave and go home, bad-mouthing us about how backward and trashy we are, when it was they who couldn't hack it. I have seen it all my life.

In Yankee country, people don't have those tight ties to survive and thrive; they tend to put more dependency on banks and businesses and government than on each other. So there is less reason to concern yourself about what happens to your neighbor, since that neighbor isn't going to be worried about you anyway.

Those old men with their 'backwards' attitudes? That's not the general consensus of everyone here. They are humored more than anything else. They're old, they have lived a long life, been good members of the community. Why should their later years be filled with societal demands to change everything they have been accustomed to for so, so long? They also have a lot of wisdom and knowledge gleaned over all those years, and that knowledge and wisdom is respected and sought after. Much of it is not in the books anymore.

I know all this may sound strange, but that's how it is. For those who say they have had bad times down here, I suspect you did so because you tried to change the way we do things to the way you do things. And that's the one thing we will not stand for. We like our life here, and we like the way things are. Just because you don't, doesn't mean we are going to change for you. If we change our ways, it will be because we want to, not because you want us to.

That's called "freedom", and it's one of the things we pride ourselves on most of all.

Oh, the name... yes, I go by the name "The Redneck". It comes from high school, when I went to the city school system instead of the county one. My father wanted me to have a better education. But he didn't realize that coming from a farming family was looked down upon by those whose families were in business or politics. So I was the butt of jokes, and the most common name was "redneck". It was as much of an insult as that dreaded "N-word".

But then I started reading on where it came from, and what it really meant. There are several historical accounts for the moniker, but around here it goes like this: back in the days of looting Reconstruction, the carpetbaggers came south to find a bunch of young men and women struggling, apparently in vain, to eek enough money out of destroyed farms and crops to pay the Federal taxes that had been one of the main causes of the war. They would not sell out their heritage, despite the inevitable. All day they would work sunup to sundown bent over in hot southern sun, trying to just survive. The heritage here has a lot of Native American in it, and we tend to tan a reddish hue... and with the back of their necks exposed to that hot sun, the southerners were soon deemed "rednecks".

Hard-working, never giving up, trying to make their own way amid unconscionable odds... those were not bad qualities in my book! So I took that insult, that heinous nickname, that shameful reference, and i made it into what I see it as today, and what others are now starting to see it as: a badge of honor! You come to this area and ask where The Redneck lives, and chances are you will get directions to my house. It's my lifelong nickname, my CB handle, my Internet moniker, and is splattered across many of the things I own as identification. Yell "Hey, Redneck" in a crowd, and yes, I will turn around. I really, truly am

TheRedneck

... and I am proud of it!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The ignorance of some of the people posting in this thread is astonishing.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This thread made me think of something that I used to talk to my wife about. We were both born and raised in Oklahoma and of course experienced our share of weather related disasters. Every damn time a tornado did massive damage the news vans always seemed to find the dumbest, ugliest, half dressed redneck they could and put his mug on the tv.

"Well we was in the trailer tending to our chickens when we hear this loud sound like a big ole rig engine. I runs outside to see tha tornado, grab our goat an head for da cellar. "

I cringed every time I saw reports like that and prayed that they didn't make national news; they usually did.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I liked your post. Very respectable opinions here. We are painted a color by the regions we live in, but in the end, we are all people living on a big rock in an endless universe. Ya'll.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm a Florida Cracker.
For those of you not in the know this is a titled only bestowed on those fortunate enough to be born in Florida (Thank you Mom & Dad:up
I find the "insults" and quips in regards to my accent and heritage by Northerners, Westerners, Whoever amusing and sometime down right entertaining.
My favorite: Men of Italian extraction from the New Jersey New York area, the classic Guido types, Thin skinned, pompous, usually not very intellegent paper tigers

I never fail to pissed them off (if need be) or best them in a business deal.

So if thinking I'm some kind of hillbilly enables me to get one over on them, so be it.

That being said the vast majority of people, regardless of place of origin are good and kind. I often find our differences enriching and stimulating.

Viva la difference as the Greeks say

edit on 23-1-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
reply to post by isthisreallife

Interesting. I lived in Dacula, Georgia for two years as well as Lynchburg, Virginia for five. The entire time I lived down south, I was put through HELL for being a "Yankee", or a "N word" lover. All because I moved there from Chicago, and didn't have the traditional southern accent, and yes. . .liking african americans.

I have to say, the south is beautiful, BUT I was in middle school at the time, and it was the WORST time I've had in my life. The abuse from you southerners for being a "yankee"" is awful. Especially being an early teenager, I will never forget the hatred and name calling from YOUR end.

So, it works both ways. I'm not saying you are a bad person, I'm just very jaded and hate the south for all the abuse I was put through living down there. . . just for being from the north. The civil war is over. . . .tell your people to get over it.

So yes, I hate the south. . . but I have no doubt you are a good person.

I moved to Boston, Massachusetts from the southern midwest.. and you would not believe the abuse I got up there. They made fun of everything about me, the way I talked, that I talked "slow", non-stop jokes and insulting questions. The rudest people I've ever encountered are in that city and state. It can fall into the ocean or have a bomb dropped on it, I would not care.
edit on 1/23/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The problem is that there are poor, uneducated, and backwards people in the south. They seem to be all over the world though, so what is the real problem?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
I don't normally voice my own social opinions on ATS, I believe that opinions are like religion, best kept to oneself.

That being said, I have finally reached my threshold for putting up with a specific problem I notice on nearly every thread I read on politics/education/religion/etc. in America: the animosity towards Southerners I see from those of Northern, or Western origin.

Personally, I come from a family of extremely conservative south Alabama and south Mississippi lineage. However, I have lived in nearly every corner of the country. From my current home in Alabama, to one of the most progressive areas in the nation, Washington, DC, there are few areas I have not visited or lived in. It always shocks to hear the opinions of the residents of different areas. During my time in the nation's capital, I experienced a lot of insults due to my slight (and i emphasize slight ) southern drawl. People asked me if my school in South Carolina had plumbing, or was on wheels.

Now, jokes like these are pretty standard for anyone who grew up in the south and moved north or west of the Mason-Dixon. I don't normally think much of them. Hell, people I went to school with in SC and AL made fun of the countrier students the same as people in VA or CA made fun of me for my accent. This however, is not a pity party.

On the contrary, it is a serious issue in American culture, and on ATS in particular. Due to this websites far reaching audience, there are a wide variety of members. Those from the UK, from China, from America, from all corners of the globe. However, there seems to be a deep divide between those from America. Perhaps this is what it would've felt like to live in pre-Civil War times. Both sides of the Mason-Dixon have deep, deep feelings for each other, and not the good kind.

Northerners insult, degrade, and look down upon their fellow Americans in a way that is not only disgraceful, but is honestly, ignorant. Not only does the southeast have some of the best public high schools and universities in the nation, such as Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Alabama, South Carolina, Fairfax County Public Schools, Loudon County Public Schools, William and Mary, Duke, UNC, Elon, Belmont, etc. etc.

BUT

Our employment rates mirror those of some of the most progressive states, Alabama has an unemployment rate of 8.7%, while California's is at 11.3%. Arkansas' is at 8.0%, lower than some of the most liberal, and northern states (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Washington DC).

High school graduation, college attendance and graduation, personal freedoms and average quality of life match, or better, those of many, many states in the northeast.

My Point

I am not trying to push for a reverence of the south. In fact, I am not pushing against the northeast. I have many friends, and many family members that live up north, and I love many areas north of the Mason-Dixon.

I just think that it is absolutely disgusting for people, specifically Americans, to degrade the residents of the southeast just because of outdated, and completely false stereotypes that belong in the 1920's. If you have never lived here, please do not talk about how poor, uneducated, and backwards we are.

Unemployment by state
Cost of living by state
edit on 22-1-2012 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

I would say that a great deal of this so-called "animosity" stems from the fact that many southern people prefer the old ways of life...This isn't to say that there aren't quite a few who keep up with modern times, but there are plenty who have adhered to the traditions of 60+ years ago.

Being a Northerner (I hesitate to use such terms, because I view everyone in the country as an American, not by which region they come from) I recognize that there are subtle differences in how we view life. In fact, a few of them believe there is nothing a swift punch to the face won't solve, and they are rough-and-ready "Christian" types (although I refuse to consider anyone who supports violence a true Christian).

As I said...it's the way they look at life. "If it don't work the first time...punch it and try again."

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Now that's just being condescending. I have family who live in the south, and not only are they hilarious, they have marvelous heads on their shoulders.

In no way are they backwards. You may as well call the lower half of the U.S. "hick country" with that attitude.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

I have family in Florida. They're amazing, and I have nothing against you Floridians. I just wish you'd be kind enough to share your amazing weather with us...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
The problem is that there are poor, uneducated, and backwards people in the south. They seem to be all over the world though, so what is the real problem?

There in lies the whole issue in this thread. It's who you are, not where you come from.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts but where I lived was a whole different world than Boston. We didn't carry that horrid Boston accent. I lived in a very rural, country area that was only about 2 hours from Boston but may as well have been a different country.

There was a trailer down the road from me where the folks had their cars up on blocks, had about 50 cats (we think they ate them) and allowed chickens to roam inside and out. They lived on welfare and had far too many children.

A more extreme example. There is a large family spread out in that area that shared my last name but (THANKFULLY!!!) are not related to me. They were disgusting humans, living in homes with no electricity or plumbing. In one home, a mother and her two boys kidnapped a girl and kept her in their basement for some time and then they killed her. My boyfriend at the time would not share my last name with his family for over 2 years.

So does where you live really make you who you are? Not even slightly.

You don't have the more intelligent and educated people here behaving badly or talking ill against northerners. I was accepted with open arms by everyone I've met since I've lived here, from my employers and co-workers to my neighbors.

It's the ignorant and uneducated who have formed a stereotype and the same goes up north about southerners.

My ex's brother used to keep a rebel flag up in the back window of his truck. He had NO clue what it was--it was his way of showing people he was a "rebel" and sincerely thought that's what it was for. He'll tell you how redneck and stupid folks from the south are, though. He was an idiot.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Unemployment is not an indication of the quality of the state.

Second, if you look at the rankings of states regarding education, the worst run right along the bottom east coast to Arizon.

third, Maryland is neither a southern or northern state, its both. It remained neutral and was smart enough to take advantage of both sides.

Fourth, Virginia and Maryland both have slight southern accents, so it was outsiders that were most likely saying anything.

And how often do you hear someone from NASA, A high ranking college, or revered profressional, have a deep southern accent?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Meh, we have the same kind of thing in England except it's flipped - the people from Southern England look down their noses on those of us who are from the North. They think London is the centre of the universe and everywhere up North is cold, miserable, poor and stuck in the past. You get the "the North is a craphole why would I want to go there, I'm from London innit?" types who I just laugh at and take the mick back.Then you get the leafy South-East home-county snobby types who genuinely believe they are of a higher class than us and look down their noses (like our PM David Cameron). Those people annoy me, I must admit.

Point is, this kind of thing isn't unique to the US and isn't going away any time soon as long as these attitudes and stereotypes continue to be spread. Not much you do about it except be proud of your roots and who you are as a person.

edit on 23-1-2012 by EnzoD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

there are running jokes about every region. i wouldnt say it's downright animosity, but a good example is the fact that 1 in 4 think interracial marriage should be illegal in SC. that, along with many other ignorant southern conservative fundie opinions paints the picture that many in the south live in the stone age socially, morally and politically. not saying there aren't free thinking people down there, nor that there arent ignorant people elsewhere, but it's a bit of a different ratio than the rest of the country.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
i have spent time in the south mainly S Carolina and Louisiana but also Georgia on holidays but stayed with friends so saw the real places and found the people really friendly and helpful.
im from the UK so just my own experience

btw

the ladies accent is one of the sexiest i have ever heard

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
And with that statement I must ask............What is your real point?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join