It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Such Animosity Towards Southerners?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I don't normally voice my own social opinions on ATS, I believe that opinions are like religion, best kept to oneself.

That being said, I have finally reached my threshold for putting up with a specific problem I notice on nearly every thread I read on politics/education/religion/etc. in America: the animosity towards Southerners I see from those of Northern, or Western origin.

Personally, I come from a family of extremely conservative south Alabama and south Mississippi lineage. However, I have lived in nearly every corner of the country. From my current home in Alabama, to one of the most progressive areas in the nation, Washington, DC, there are few areas I have not visited or lived in. It always shocks to hear the opinions of the residents of different areas. During my time in the nation's capital, I experienced a lot of insults due to my slight (and i emphasize slight ) southern drawl. People asked me if my school in South Carolina had plumbing, or was on wheels.

Now, jokes like these are pretty standard for anyone who grew up in the south and moved north or west of the Mason-Dixon. I don't normally think much of them. Hell, people I went to school with in SC and AL made fun of the countrier students the same as people in VA or CA made fun of me for my accent. This however, is not a pity party.

On the contrary, it is a serious issue in American culture, and on ATS in particular. Due to this websites far reaching audience, there are a wide variety of members. Those from the UK, from China, from America, from all corners of the globe. However, there seems to be a deep divide between those from America. Perhaps this is what it would've felt like to live in pre-Civil War times. Both sides of the Mason-Dixon have deep, deep feelings for each other, and not the good kind.

Northerners insult, degrade, and look down upon their fellow Americans in a way that is not only disgraceful, but is honestly, ignorant. Not only does the southeast have some of the best public high schools and universities in the nation, such as Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Alabama, South Carolina, Fairfax County Public Schools, Loudon County Public Schools, William and Mary, Duke, UNC, Elon, Belmont, etc. etc.

BUT

Our employment rates mirror those of some of the most progressive states, Alabama has an unemployment rate of 8.7%, while California's is at 11.3%. Arkansas' is at 8.0%, lower than some of the most liberal, and northern states (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Washington DC).

High school graduation, college attendance and graduation, personal freedoms and average quality of life match, or better, those of many, many states in the northeast.

My Point

I am not trying to push for a reverence of the south. In fact, I am not pushing against the northeast. I have many friends, and many family members that live up north, and I love many areas north of the Mason-Dixon.

I just think that it is absolutely disgusting for people, specifically Americans, to degrade the residents of the southeast just because of outdated, and completely false stereotypes that belong in the 1920's. If you have never lived here, please do not talk about how poor, uneducated, and backwards we are.

Unemployment by state
Cost of living by state
edit on 22-1-2012 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's funny you mention this. When I moved to the U.S. (the deep south) from Canada I had to put up with ENDLESS Canada jokes, I got used to it. Don't stress about the South being the target of jokes because you guys dish out too.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well said
There are enough real issues that need to be discussed, that we do not need to attack other Americans over demonstrably false stereotypes.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
It's funny you mention this. When I moved to the U.S. (the deep south) from Canada I had to put up with ENDLESS Canada jokes, I got used to it. Don't stress about the South being the target of jokes because you guys dish out too.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

And I agree. That's why I do not put the south up on a pedestal. However.

I think that the true root of the problem is that since the 19th century, the south has constantly been at the brunt of jokes coming from our social and economic problems. Eventually, everyone gets frustrated. I think a lot of southerners have the mentality that, "If they're going to talk trash, we're going to talk it back."

Its a revolving door of insults and division.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I am a 3rd generation native Texan. I have a slight accent myself and I have heard my fair share of jokes about southerners. They never bothered me. Jokes are just jokes. Even if they are based on stereotypes.

I've made my fair share of jokes about people from the south as well.

They never bothered me and I just joked right back.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

You know friend this is true..I see it a lot as well, It's sad too because everyone who's roots are deeply American, that being their ancestors came here in the 1700's or before..all started out in the same place..the East coast..as territories opened up settlers followed, at the end of the day..I think we all related to each other..the South did suffer and so did the people of the South as it was all burned to the ground..not everyone owned slaves..and the great majority of Southerners had lots of family on the East coast and the North..all my ancestors were Southerners..hard working, honest and decent people..Cheers SnF Coco

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Its an EASY thing to do when you have experienced living in the South and anywhere else.

Anyone having [color=limegreen]experienced the South after living in the North or West coast, will quickly become angry and frustrated by the lack of sense and uneducated folks blaming the "Yankees" or "Hollywood" for all of their problems.

The narrow-minded superstitious dark-ages crap they still believe in takes precedence over learning and reality and its everyone elses fault including "liberals" and "non-Christians" for everything wrong in their life.

Its either the fault of "Hollywood" from the West coast, or the "Yankees" from the North or "Liberals" everywhere that they spend all their cash on cigs and beer and diapers for their 10 kids by 8 different fathers and cannot pay their trailer rent for the month.

Working low-paying unskilled jobs because they were unable to finish High-School due to already having 3 kids by just the 10th grade!!

Damn "Yankees". Damn "Hollywood". Damn "Liberals"

edit on 22-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yeah,I agree,but it goes both ways.
How many times have you heard us southerners dis those damn northerners,or "those yankees","damn snowbirds",cause I am big on doing that.
But we always like the money they spend when they come visit and and the fun we have messing with em.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
As an Australian with an eye for America (courtesy of cultural imperialism, YAY!!
) - my outsiders opinion is that the animosity towards "Southerners" stem from it's (generally speaking) archaic social conservatism, ie a failure to get with the times.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I live in Georgia - in the rich area - I too have lived all over the US - I have never lived in a more bigoted place that absolutely celebrates ignorance.
edit on 22-1-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
When I went to Arkansas to visit some relatives(Gorgeous place btw) I think if I wasn't white things would have been a little more uncomfortable around there. But it was just a Vibe I got it might have been because we were Californians. Other than that I didn't see anything noticeable racist. As for animosity, well I think thats just a state thing, each state is like its own country and more often than not theres still left over grudges or stereotypes that we hold over each other.

Can't remember which state it is, but they still won't talk to Californians over a water dispute that happen decades ago.

Same can be said between the north and the south. Just the tribes taking sides.
edit on 1/22/2012 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
I live in Georgia - in the rich area - I too have lived all over the US - I have never lived in a more bigoted place that absolutely celebrates ignorance.

While that maybe true,it is a more of rural setting then anything.
I have lived in Iowa on a farm,and that was not the case.
Being from South Carolina,my granny still says the N word,but god bless her she is 85 years old.
I don't condone it,that is just a mind set with her generation.

My sister lives outside Atlanta in a "rich" area,but I don't know what those folks think cause nobody ever comes outside and socialize.

And we all could say the same about California,bunch of fruitcakes.

Just kidding.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm a transplant to SC from Massachusetts, I've been here for about 12 years. I love the people here--the ones born here, especially if they come from old money. They're generally warm, polite and will go out of their way to help you.

Common sense eludes them quite a bit, though and for the most part, are very hard core Christian conservative republicans with little room for change. I worked for two attorneys, who were brothers, for the first 6 years and they were the best guys you could ever want for bosses. But they held their bibles tight and their values and beliefs, whether religious or political, were very hard wired. With these two, no amount of reasoning or common sense would change their mind about much of anything.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Its an EASY thing to do when you have experienced living in the South and anywhere else.

Anyone having experienced the South (from the North or West coast) will quickly become angry and frustrated by the lack of sense and uneducated folks blaming the "Yankees" or "Hollywood" for all of their problems.

The narrow-minded superstitious dark-ages crap they still believe in takes precedence over learning and reality and its everyone elses fault including "liberals" and "non-Christians" for everything wrong in their life.

Its either the fault of "Hollywood" from the West coast, or the "Yankees" from the North that they spend all their cash on cigs and beer and diapers for their 10 kids by 8 different fathers and cannot pay their trailer rent for the month.

Damn "Yankees". Damn "Hollywood".

edit on 22-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Uh, you are aware that this thread is about NOT provoking or approving stereotypes, don't you? Not making some more up to go with the existing ones.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550

I've lived in the out skirts of Atlanta and in Alabama all my life. And They are truly ignorant here in the south. I'm getting out of here ASAP.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm a yankee living is North Carolina, and to be honest, i love it here. Its funny, I am the butt of most yankee jokes to my gf's family, but its all in good fun. I've lived in the south for so long, anytime i see a License plate from someone up north, I'm like 'those damn yankees need to go home"

ETA: the only problems I've ever encountered were with my son's family, they couldnt stand me because I'm a yankee, everyone else here loves it when I start to talk, and they accept me for who I am and the kind of person I am, not where I am from.
Also dont forget, you get xenophobic idiots everywhere
edit on 1/22/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Interesting. I lived in Dacula, Georgia for two years as well as Lynchburg, Virginia for five. The entire time I lived down south, I was put through HELL for being a "Yankee", or a "N word" lover. All because I moved there from Chicago, and didn't have the traditional southern accent, and yes. . .liking african americans.

I have to say, the south is beautiful, BUT I was in middle school at the time, and it was the WORST time I've had in my life. The abuse from you southerners for being a "yankee"" is awful. Especially being an early teenager, I will never forget the hatred and name calling from YOUR end.

So, it works both ways. I'm not saying you are a bad person, I'm just very jaded and hate the south for all the abuse I was put through living down there. . . just for being from the north. The civil war is over. . . .tell your people to get over it.

So yes, I hate the south. . . but I have no doubt you are a good person.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I live in New York state, have lived here most of my life. I lived in Florida for a year. I had to put up with a lot of ribbing about being a New Yorker. What I don't like about southerners is they go on and on about states rights. So when New York state decides to prosecute a woman who took a gun to the 9/11 memorial, the south is up in arms about it. What a bunch of hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I am a fellow southerner from Louisiana bro, I can say I've been around the world as a 19K in the U.S. Army, as well as been to and met people from all over the country. I can tell you from my experiences that its mostly the northerners that think all people South of the Mason Dixon are inbred, uneducated, filthy, ignorant specimens of the human race. It seems to be a general consensus that Southerners are are a step below average Americans. We all got a bad rap from the civil war, especially the northerners who think that they actually fought to free the slaves. Everyone from the South knows it was'nt about that, but everyone in the North teaches it in their schools so thats the rap we all get.

History is written by the victors.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The word "hillbilly" is also thrown out as an insult. I was born in the hills of Eastern KY, Hazard to be exact, and I am and always will be proud to wear the tag "hillbilly". We can thank the media for the stupid, backward reputation. When all they show is Bubba after the tornado, people get the wrong impression. I've lived in Central IL for about 13 years now and still get strange looks because of my southern drawl.
edit on 22-1-2012 by DAVID64 because: add

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join