It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Such Animosity Towards Southerners?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Being from alabama, I know what you mean. However, I don't f- my sister, so the jokes are just that. Jokes.
It's pretty common for one group to make fun of another. Helps reinforce social norms and values.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hey ya'll I'm from Texas. Yes I said that out loud. Being from the most slighted state of all, outside of the south, as well as within, I am going to lay out the reality. Here it is; immigration to the south STOPPED after the civil war, but not so in the rest of the country. In the south, today, the culture is STILL reflective of what I call the "Big Three" of America's beginnings. The Red Man, The White Man, and the Black Man. If you go to the northeast, almost EVERYONE has at least one grandparent who was an immigrant. My ancestors came to the USA in colonial times, and if yours did too, you just might be e redneck. KAPOW! The interplay between the big three was the beginning story for ALL of the USA at the BEGINNING! Today, IT'S ONLY US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it ,hate it, I'll abide either. BAHGOOFUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

And how often do you hear someone from NASA, A high ranking college, or revered profressional, have a deep southern accent?
Around the Space Coast?
Brevard County?

OFTEN.

Unfortunately many of us have had to endure the stereotype from prejudice "outsiders" (like yourself?) and found it necessary to loose their accent. I must admit I was among them for a while in my younger days. But eventually I started to feel like I wasn't being true to myself and started to "talk natural" again.
Now it's all good

edit on 23-1-2012 by grubblesnert because: clarification

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And how often do you hear someone from NASA, A high ranking college, or revered profressional, have a deep southern accent?
Around the Space Coast?
Brevard County?

OFTEN.

Sorry, should of specified, not from a little southern space camp.

Unfortunately many of us have had to endure the stereotype from prejudice "outsiders" (like yourself?)

And that is how stereotypes continue. Not my opinion, just one I have heard. But you immediately labeled me an predjudice outsider.

I have a southern accent.

edit on 23-1-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bobennenwevun

Don't mess with Texas!

I have inlaws in the Waco area (NOT Mount Carmel)
*There is a difference for those not in the know.

I found out I fit right in there.
Speaking wise, food wise and attitude wise.

There's a little difference in the accent. You Texans do talk funny compared to the sharp and distinct true gentrified southern dialect of a native Floridian. But I somehow still manage to make out what you all are saying. (just kiddin')
"Accent don't mean ignorance" not by a long shot!

Southern pride my brother.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Stop mocking traditions. The whole North South thing has been going on since before the Civil War.

Heck, out here in California, there is a whole, Northern CA verses Southern CA thing as well that has nothing to do with back east. If you are from CA you get sheit from both the North and the South back east.

As far as the Civil War is concerned, it was about slavery, so stop teaching propaganda lies. The Articles of Succession stated just such.

The Southerner's were the aggressors, trying to push slavery into territories west of the Mississippi, and battles were being fought between Northern family farmers and Southern slavers before they ever asked Lincoln to run for POTUS. Also, illegally sending bounty hunters into Northern states to capture slaves, where they had no legal right, trying to impose their immorally horrendous belief in slavery upon Northern states and good family farmers.

By the way, Southern slavers got their behinds rightfully kicked in the Civil War. While Lee did pretty good in the East, it was a lopsided Northern win out west, were we kicked your tails all the way down to Texas.

In addition, Hillbilly's fought on the side of the North, West Virginia splitting off from Virginia, and along with Kentucky siding with the North, and that is the majority of the Hillbillies, so stop claiming rights to traditions that are not yours. Hillbillies weren't so dumb as to support Southern slavers.

Fifthly, arguably, a majority of Southerners were against succession, did not want to back the plantation owners who saw themselves as nobility, and greatly oppressed small farming Southerners. Quite a few Southerners rebelled against the plantation owning jerks who pushed the whole Confederacy angle. Many modern Southerners are most likely the descendants of those who opposed the Confederacy.

Lastly, slavery was a stain on our nation, and should have been abolished, and there is no evidence that it would have ended without a bloody war. Look up the history, Southerners (mainly big plantation owners) were trying to push slavery into Northern territories west of the Mississippi and the rest of the facts I presented.

Those Southern girls are alright.

edit on 23-1-2012 by poet1b because: typo and distinction

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Marshall space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL

US Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville, AL

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

There is some truth to that (about California getting the short end from both the north and south) but so what? As a native Californian I take comfort in the knowledge that my state pays more in Federal Taxes than it takes back in, especially when compared to most of the south. I am also keenly aware that the south doesn't have the economic base that California (or the industrialized NE) has, so I don't lose a lot of sleep over it. It does take a lot of air out of all of that "real America" crap that certain types of people like to throw around like a slur, when they discuss anything outside of their social norm, and that's good enough for me.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Much of that animosity is shared by both yankees and rebs, and is often in good natured american kidding around. But at times it can come to blows or even drive others to suicide espacially when it becomes bullying attempts.

Perhaps I am now sterotyping, and I humbly apologise to all who find offense in my post.

Majority of northerners have the intelligence but the majority of southerners are the ones with better moral values and great courage, as proven of the 2 centuries since independence.

Having said that, the converse is equally true - northerners are apathetic, not that they lack courage and moral values, and southerners enjoys plain and dull ignorance over many issues, not that they are not intelligent.

This had been going on for centuries, and perhaps it is time for it to end with our generation. If the best of both northern and southern traits are incalcated into our young, to teach them well, USA will be a far more stronger nation than before, and a light for the world mired in confusion, the way the Statue of Liberty had been a beacon for the world then mired in enslavement.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

there are alot of stereotyps that are true! im from the north and i still cant spell right, just kidding. The south is a great place. It just shows you that the way people have been in the past haunts them even today when we are supposed to be cilvilized!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I am going to be perfectly honest: It is because you Southerners are like dog's. Seriously, your like dog's.

You act all tough and aggressive unless someone puts their foot down, and more of you then not are a bunch of ignorant drunks.

Southern women are the worst of the lot.

I worked in the hotel industry and Southerners(deep South, people who live in metropolitan areas etc are normal, decent people) are nothing but a problem.

I remember once a drunk Southerner could figure out how to use his key card. So he proceeded to keep asking for a new one till he blamed the hotel for being a "piece of &^%$". So I took the key card he couldn't use, walked with him to his room and opened his door for him. And when I tried to hand him the key card he was like "I don't want it".

And he wasn't even that drunk.

I try to come off as a peaceful, almost humble type person. And Southerners true to their dog nature, try to act dominant instead of just going about their business like a decent person ought to.

Now back to Southern "Women". Southern Women, I guess used to dealing with the self admittedly inferior Southern men(it is you guy's who are always praising Southern Women and putting yourselves down) they developed a superiority complex along the way.

Like if a Southern gal went to check out and ask for direction's they would ignore me(even if the next shift getting ready to take over was obviously busy) to ask a female coworker. I could understand certain Muslim, Amish or other such groups.

I have seen the look in the eyes before, with male chauvinist's that ignored my female coworkers to ask me something as I was getting ready to head out the door. And it is not just that, they just seem to talk down to you.

I had a Southern gal coworker. She seemed to ignore my several year seniority and tried to lord over me. I treated her like a dog(emotionally) and she fell in line very quickly, much like a dog would.

And these aren't one off instances. After several years of dealing with a wide variety of people, and only one group of people really giving you a headache, it is only natural to come to loathe those people.

Anglo Scot Irish Ulster Deep Southerners, are the singularly most pain in the arse people I ever had the miss-pleasure of dealing with, and if I could go my life without having to deal with another one again I would consider myself truly blessed.
--------
Deep New Englanders are often just as bad and more often then not indistinguishable from Deep Southerners in appearance, mannerism's and intelligence or lack thereof..

edit on 25-1-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

I am going to be perfectly honest: It is because you Southerners are like dog's. Seriously, your like dog's.

Damn yankee!

Works the same on both sides of the aisle,brother.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

You act all tough and aggressive unless someone puts their foot down, and more of you then not are a bunch of ignorant drunks.

Personally, I find it hilarious that you call us ignorant, and yet your grammar is atrocious. Obviously by the second sentence you typed, you have never been to the south, nor ever lived in the south. I have maybe met a handful of ignorant drunks in my 12+ years of living in the south...

Southern women are the worst of the lot.

I worked in the hotel industry and Southerners(deep South, people who live in metropolitan areas etc are normal, decent people) are nothing but a problem.

I remember once a drunk Southerner could figure out how to use his key card. So he proceeded to keep asking for a new one till he blamed the hotel for being a "piece of &^%$". So I took the key card he couldn't use, walked with him to his room and opened his door for him. And when I tried to hand him the key card he was like "I don't want it".

And he wasn't even that drunk.

So because one ignorant individual, for all you know had never been in a nice hotel before, cannot work a room key, it is a clear description of the entire southeastern United States, encompassing tens of millions of Americans?

I try to come off as a peaceful, almost humble type person. And Southerners true to their dog nature, try to act dominant instead of just going about their business like a decent person ought to.

You're succedding in that goal

Now back to Southern "Women". Southern Women, I guess used to dealing with the self admittedly inferior Southern men(it is you guy's who are always praising Southern Women and putting yourselves down) they developed a superiority complex along the way.

Like if a Southern gal went to check out and ask for direction's they would ignore me(even if the next shift getting ready to take over was obviously busy) to ask a female coworker. I could understand certain Muslim, Amish or other such groups.

I have seen the look in the eyes before, with male chauvinist's that ignored my female coworkers to ask me something as I was getting ready to head out the door. And it is not just that, they just seem to talk down to you.

I'm not trying to be rude, but have you ever thought it was your appearance? Maybe you send them dirty looks, maybe you're not the most cleancut looking individual. I have known southern women to be just as kind hearted, innocent and wonderful to encounter as women I was involved with in the north and the west. I find them to be no different, except perhaps they have a more humble, passive way about them.

I had a Southern gal coworker. She seemed to ignore my several year seniority and tried to lord over me. I treated her like a dog(emotionally) and she fell in line very quickly, much like a dog would.

That's called being a chauvanistic pig. You wonder why people avoid you? You wonder why people go out of there way and look down upon you? Its because you treat women like pigs just because of their accent or where they come from. I would say Look at yourself before you throw stones..

Anglo Scot Irish Ulster Deep Southerners, are the singularly most pain in the arse people I ever had the miss-pleasure of dealing with, and if I could go my life without having to deal with another one again I would consider myself truly blessed.
--------
Deep New Englanders are often just as bad and more often then not indistinguishable from Deep Southerners in appearance, mannerism's and intelligence or lack thereof..

I am not sure where you hail from, but as a southerner and a decent human being, I can say I hope I never have to encounter you. You seem to be a selfish, self-absorbed brat. I would say that you need to look yourself in the mirror and then figure out who exactly is in the wrong.

Your points are not only ignorant, they are enforcing stereotypes and your attitude is the exact topic my entire OP is about. You have categorized an entire group of people (actually 2 groups) into a single, lump sum of "ignorant dogs".

You sir, should be ashamed.

edit on 25-1-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I Grew up in California, never knew about the south/north thing going on there. Though I lived in North Fork(A place where old people go to die and criminals go to hide), in central California about an hour away from Fresno(God awful city). I worked in a small town called Oakhurst which used to be nice in till those beach dwellers showed up and ruined the place.

Kind of funny how we Identify ourself, first by country, then north/south, region, city, and neighborhood. My town of North Fork was on the bottom of the Totem poll in my region, it looked like a run down L.A town that was plopped into the middle of a serene forest.
edit on 1/25/2012 by Mcupobob because: Calling Oakhurst a city is an insult to citys

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I am not ashamed. I adopted my prejudice after several years of dealing with inbred's from the deep south.

You can talk all you want, but that is what it is talk. When I see Three Southern guy's and one Southern gal, and the gal acting more like the three grown men's mother then whatever she was to them(probably a gf, wife or something) it makes one wonder. The reason your so upset is because everything I said is true.

You southerners spend so much time denigrating men(look up the blue collar comedy tour etc, southern men are constantly tearing themselves down and raising southern women up) that Southern Women are raised in an environment of outright female supremacy.

But obviously due to inbreeding you ignored the little observational comparison I made, about how a good deal of southern women are chauvinist's because they act in a manner of out and out male chauvinist's that I observed belittle female coworkers.

I really don't care. Like I said I am semi prejudice against most Deep Southerners. I don't care if you talk different, I run into people all the time who talk differently then I do(heck I seen tourist's from many nations that barely spoke English at all let alone have a regional accent). I only care about how much some ignorant sob makes my life more difficult.

Like the little deep southern bell who upon finding out the breakfast was free proceeded to grab EVERYTHING claiming "she has to feed her family". Or the 3 guy work crew from(I honestly don't care to remember) somewhere in the deep south that left a few adult toy's, sex pills and other similar stuff in their room for the housekeeping to clean up.

Granted the worst was from a lady from(I want to say NJ but inno) that stayed two nights in a double bed room and only used 1 bed to sleep in, but didn't use the toilet at all(guess what the other bed was used for).

Or heck people traveling from the deep south who can't grasp the fact that prices change in different regions.

I am sure there are plenty of decent people from the deep south. Unfortunately I have only really come across the dredges from the deep south. This isn't some "he heard to many southern jokes or etc" it is from dealing with ignorant sob's a thousand too many times.

And the only group who does that time and time again is deep southerns. I have a solution: Yous stay out of Pa and I will stay out of the deep South. everyone is happy.

P.S

Grammar, that is for spell checkers to figure out when it matters: reading comprehension is everything:

I have never claimed to have visited the deep south(but tracing the union Army my ancestors fought in would make for a fun vacation. Seeing all the places they razed to the ground). I only claimed to have had to endure people from the Deep South.

If you can't even comprehend that which is written what makes you think your even a halfway decent at judging character in those you associate with?

edit on 26-1-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Its an EASY thing to do when you have experienced living in the South and anywhere else.

Anyone having [color=limegreen]experienced the South after living in the North or West coast, will quickly become angry and frustrated by the lack of sense and uneducated folks blaming the "Yankees" or "Hollywood" for all of their problems.

The narrow-minded superstitious dark-ages crap they still believe in takes precedence over learning and reality and its everyone elses fault including "liberals" and "non-Christians" for everything wrong in their life.

Its either the fault of "Hollywood" from the West coast, or the "Yankees" from the North or "Liberals" everywhere that they spend all their cash on cigs and beer and diapers for their 10 kids by 8 different fathers and cannot pay their trailer rent for the month.

Working low-paying unskilled jobs because they were unable to finish High-School due to already having 3 kids by just the 10th grade!!

Damn "Yankees". Damn "Hollywood". Damn "Liberals"

edit on 22-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Nice of you to provide such a great example of exactly the sort of racist BS the OP was discussing. So you assume that all in the South are ignorant, insult Christians everywhere, make comments about "beer and cigarettes" as though no one not in the South consumes these things, and claim that all Southerners have tons of illegitimate children. All live in trailers, and none attend college, and none have good-paying jobs. Bet you call us Southerners "racists", too, in other places, right?

Perfect example of complete bigotry based on region. That was your goal, right? To provide an example? I mean, you could not really believe that a geographical locations instills all those "qualities" on people, could you? Nah, that would be ignorant.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I know exactly what you mean! For many people, derision of all things Southern is an acceptable form of racism. Yet they call Southerners the racists! Talk about irony!

To those in the thread making the exact sort of assumptions the OP mentions, I have a few facts for you.

1. Liberal does NOT equal "smart", and conservative does NOT equal "ignorant".

2. Christian doesn't equal "ignorant", either.

3. Florida is NOT a good example of the South, as many parts are simply transplanted Northerners.

4. Racism is NOT the norm. I grew up in Tennessee, and have lived many places, and the racism and bigotry I have seen isn't from Southerners, but from minorities and Northerners that think they are better.

5. Everyone in the South doesn't live in a trailer. No more than ANY OTHER AREA. There are poor neighborhoods all over the country. Get over that nonsense already.

6. No, Southern families are not all "inbred". This is simply nonsense. I would venture to say that you will find more illegitimate children in the big Northern cities than in a typical trailer park down South. Certainly, that isn't a regional issue.

7. The Confederate flag does NOT represent slavery. it represents the rights of the states to govern their own affairs. You know, as in "United STATES of...". As in, no overblown, trillions in debt federal government. The North treated the released slaves worse than they were treated in the South. Besides, slavery became an issue to convince France not to help break the blockade.

8. There are racists/bigots all over. Look at the anti-Southern posts from some here, for proof. Look any place online for more. Being Southern and white and Christian doesn't mean one is stupid, or uneducated, or illegitimate, and I am appalled that people here seem to think such comments are alright.

Most Southerners would tell you the same thing I will; NO bigotry or racism is alright.

I didn't grow up disliking anyone because of color. More kids we played with in my childhood, that weren't relatives, were black than white. We didn't care. Didn't care where someone lived, either. Southerners are caring, polite, decent people, with strong family ties, and are very patriotic. How about you "enlightened liberals" start realizing that people have a right to disagree with you, and believe differently, and that this doesn't make them stupid?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Very nicely done.I am no good in a debate.But my sentiments exactly.

I didn't grow up disliking anyone because of color. More kids we played with in my childhood, that weren't relatives, were black than white. We didn't care. Didn't care where someone lived, either. Southerners are caring, polite, decent people, with strong family ties, and are very patriotic. How about you "enlightened liberals" start realizing that people have a right to disagree with you, and believe differently, and that this doesn't make them stupid?

I grew up the same way in the deep south,some of my best friends where of a different color,but in my mind they were the same as me or better.

Look up the most polite cities in the US and what will you find?
My hometown.
Sounds like that one poster is just dissatisfied with his life and putting the blame on others .

If you can't interact with a person because of a predisposition on what a person looks like or where they are from,then you are a racist by definition.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Wow... I'm glad we have you here to keep us informed...

Oh, sorry, excuse me...

Way-ull! Ah'm shore happy we's got y'all tuh set us strait...

Better? I'd hate to be the one to burst that bubble of fiction you are wrapped up in... it must be very comfortable.

When I see Three Southern guy's and one Southern gal, and the gal acting more like the three grown men's mother then whatever she was to them(probably a gf, wife or something) it makes one wonder.

Yes, it certainly does make one wonder. It makes this one wonder why you made the assumption you did. Could it be possible that the woman was their mother? Not everyone ages identically, you know.

You southerners spend so much time denigrating men(look up the blue collar comedy tour etc, southern men are constantly tearing themselves down and raising southern women up) that Southern Women are raised in an environment of outright female supremacy.

I have heard a lot in my time, but this has to be right up there among the most inane comments ever uttered!

Here's a hint: Blue Collar COMEDY Tour. Jeff Foxworthy is a comedian, not a news anchor. Larry Whitney (aka Larry the Cable Guy) dresses the way he does and says the things he does to make people laugh. It seems to work for a lot of people: he has starred in three movies surrounding his character; he has his own book; he is the voice of "Tow-Mater" in the hit Cars movies (a major character in the last one), and has his own History Channel series.

Not bad for a 'hick'... how many movies have you starred in? How many books have you written? How's that History Channel contract coming for you?

Hint: we treat our women with respect. Hence, they expect respect. In return, we have women who are extremely devoted to their men.

I only care about how much some ignorant sob makes my life more difficult.

Like the little deep southern bell who upon finding out the breakfast was free proceeded to grab EVERYTHING claiming "she has to feed her family". Or the 3 guy work crew from(I honestly don't care to remember) somewhere in the deep south that left a few adult toy's, sex pills and other similar stuff in their room for the housekeeping to clean up.

Granted the worst was from a lady from(I want to say NJ but inno) that stayed two nights in a double bed room and only used 1 bed to sleep in, but didn't use the toilet at all(guess what the other bed was used for).

Well, I guess that answers the questions above. Jealous much?

I do wish you would do all of us down here a favor though, and keep that attitude to yourself. It seems to be spreading. I remember when people were happy to have a job and believed it was their responsibility to do their work instead of complaining that customers were making their life harder. I wish we could get back to that attitude, but at least now I know where the bad attitude is coming from...

Oh, and here's another hint: New Jersey (NJ) is not in the South.

Grammar, that is for spell checkers to figure out when it matters: reading comprehension is everything:

Comprehension requires the information being given to be in a comprehendable form. Hint: we can spell and use grammar without a spell checker.

Another hint: spell-checkers do not correct grammar. That's the author's job.

Thanks for the belly laughs!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Stop mocking traditions. The whole North South thing has been going on since before the Civil War.

Heck, out here in California, there is a whole, Northern CA verses Southern CA thing as well that has nothing to do with back east. If you are from CA you get sheit from both the North and the South back east.

As far as the Civil War is concerned, it was about slavery, so stop teaching propaganda lies. The Articles of Succession stated just such.

edit on 23-1-2012 by poet1b because: typo and distinction

You know, I've read alot of diaries of the actual soldiers in the war, both North and South. Not one of them that I have ever read describes any soldier in the South wanting to join a war to "keep the slaves". Not one. I have read a whole lot of accounts however of men joining the Southern ranks because they were fighting against what they viewed as a tyrannical federal government that oppressed the South with its skewed policies and Tariff laws. Just ask yourself a simple question, which sounds better for the history books? Propoganda at its finest.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join