It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

In the early years, the Catholics hierarchy was against the reading of scriptures. In that day, to question any dogma was often met with violence. It took Martin Luther to end Catholic monopoly of biblical interpretation yet it can be argued that he did so for political, monetary and not religious reasons. Germany was losing too much wealth to Rome and he used his theses against indulgences to split from the Catholic Church.

Since that day, the Spanish inquisition, and Catholic/Protestant policies have pushes for only the biblical interpretations that have been sanctioned by the various Church hierarchies to be accepted. IOW, they are to control your theosis or apotheosis.

Being a Gnostic Christian, I of course ignore such commands. If you are one of faith then you cannot. You must kowtow to whatever sect you belong to and believe as they believe.

Most Catholics and Protestants I talk to tell me that we are not to judge God. Strange as this condition excludes them of course, as they have judged their God to be good. The rest of us are fine if we agree and since we cannot judge God on our own, we are not allowed to judge anything but good. Judging God as evil is not allowed.

To judge, one needs knowledge first and foremost. Eden shows that God did not want Adam and Eve to have knowledge of good and evil. The early Catholic Church followed suit by burning competing gospels and killing members of other Christian sects that did not convert. Protestant sects and their hierarchies, by insisting that theosis is under their guidance only, also discourage questioning and judging and acquiring knowledge.

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”
Martin Luther

What do the churches fear with a more intelligent population?

Are they afraid that with knowledge, people will stop believing in talking animals and other fantasies, miracles and magic and realize that their faith has no clothes?

ca.video.search.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A2KLqIgQNfZOE3gAgaYWFQx.;_ylu=X3o'___'BncGdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-?p=hans+cristian+anderson+e mperor%27s+new+clothes&fr=yfp-t-715&ei=utf-8&fr2=piv-web&n=21&tnr=20

Are so called religious folk following religions and Gods or are they following tradition and culture as this following indicates?

www.youtube.com...

Is that why the various Abrahamic cults are not reconciling their doctrinal differences and not seeking knowledge and unification?

A & E were punished for seeking knowledge and becoming as Gods.

The Church punishes any that seek knowledge that does not match Church dogma. True or not.

Just how stupid does the Church want their adherents? Do they want slaves the same way their God does?

As a believer, just how big of a blinder are you willing to wear to follow your Church and God?

How much B S are you willing to eat from your Church hierarchy to maintain the delusion that you believe in an invisible miracle working absentee super God?

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

It's because they want you to know their knowledge, their history, not true knowledge or true history. That's how they keep power and raise money, their Gospel. They don't want to hear anything different. Anything different threatens their power, money, and their Gospel.
edit on 20-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I didnt read all of the post, but i will.
And i feel the same way.

You would be interested in reading about Gonsticism, which was a religion based on aqcuiring knowledge.
Thats where i'm reading right now too. Modern day religion was pursued the way it was for control of the people.

The church has destroyed historical artifacts when the church controlled science

Knowledge is the only way to salvation.
Without it we're doomed,

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54

It's because they want you to know their knowledge, their history, not true knowledge or true history. That's how they keep power and raise money, their Gospel. They don't want to hear anything different. Anything different threatens their power, money, and their Gospel.

Same as all religion then = Slavery.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Just how stupid does the Church want their adherents? Do they want slaves the same way their God does?

I believe sheep would be the best way to discribe it...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Better sheep than goat. I'm learning how to say Baaaaaah, you should too. Skip to the end of Revelation to see what happens to the goats.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

There may be a perspective you are missing that answers the paradox. Symbols have a root, just like language. One letter of Greek, such as phi, has meaning. The meaning of phi is a ratio of 1:1.618. If you know anything about this golden ratio, then you now have a perspective that follows the root to the next symbol. Like language, two symbols then make more meaning. Three make a word. Words are then joined in a chain to form more meaning on a different level. The paradox with the church and science is explained with linguistic ability. Each of them speaks a different language, but they say the same thing. On the side of science, the language describes nature from a rational and logical mindset. Compare this to a man. On the other side, religion sees the world as emotion, truth and meaning in abstract. Science is concrete. Each refuse the other. What happens when a man and a woman fall in love? The two become one. This union creates unity instead of multiplicity. What happens in marriage? The two have struggles and each brings balance to the other if there is love. If there is no love, then the relationship eventually breaks the chain of understanding.

Now you know why. Ask the other side of the question. Why do the scientists hate the abstract implication of all their research? Because it suggests a Creator and they cannot accept this. Why does religion have trouble with science? They don't. They have a problem with the man in the relationship refusing to admit he is wrong.

Matter does not create consciousness. Consciousness creates matter. When a child is asked to choose between a dime and a nickle, they will choose the nickle if they are too young and immature. They will choose the dime if they see the underlying value in the symbol. Science refuses the possibility, despite the fact that all roads lead to the obvious conclusion that the woman is always right. She sees with the heart. The man sees with desire and pride. A lasting relationship is based on love. When we get to this place, we will see that both perspective are correct. There is no paradox.

edit on 20-1-2012 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

By your logic, I could easily say all Gnostic Christians are morons because they accept books that are obviously totally fiction.

In the early years, the Catholics hierarchy was against the reading of scriptures.

Wrong. The Catholic church was against people reading 'scripture' that was not accepted by the church. That's totally different than saying the Catholic church was against 'the reading of scriptures'. Oh .. btw ... not many people could read back in the day either ..

It took Martin Luther ...

No he didn't do it for the money, he did it for the sex. The guy was a complete perv.
"if the wife is unwilling then take the maid" ... Martin Luther quote.

Eden shows that God did not want Adam and Eve to have knowledge of good and evil.

.... and there we have it. What's with Gnostic Christians and their hate of knowledge??
There was no such thing as Adam and Eve. It's one of many creation myths that abound in the world.
Science has proven the world isn't 6,000 years old, which is how old it would have to be for the
Genesis accounts (pick one .. there are two) to be true.

What do the churches fear with a more intelligent population? Are they afraid that with knowledge, people will stop believing in talking animals and other fantasies, miracles and magic and realize that their faith has no clothes?

Get back to us when you no longer believe in the gnostic 'scriptures' ... no longer believe that an Adam and Eve really existed .. no longer believe in the Noahs Ark fable which was stolen from the Summerian legends ... THEN you can throw stones at others who believe in fantasies and miracles. The gnostic 'scriptures' are full of bunk ... it's a 'faith that has no clothes' to quote back at you.

edit on 1/20/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed word

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Being a Gnostic Christian, I of course ignore such commands....How much B S are you willing to eat from your Church hierarchy to maintain the delusion that you believe in an invisible miracle working absentee super God?

While I'm not defending Catholicism or Protestantism, aren't you placing yourself in the same category as them when you write of their delusional belief in an invisible absentee? Doesn't Gnosticism ascribe to the belief that God is unknowable and too pure to have anything to do with the material universe and doesn't Gnosticism also deny the incarnation of God as the Son?

What good is knowledge of the world without the truth of God?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Better sheep than goat. I'm learning how to say Baaaaaah, you should too. Skip to the end of Revelation to see what happens to the goats.

no need, my kind isn't mentioned...

I would consider myself the shepards loyal dog...

Keep the sheep on the path, and occasionally nip at their heels

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

+ 1

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
I didnt read all of the post, but i will.
And i feel the same way.

You would be interested in reading about Gonsticism, which was a religion based on aqcuiring knowledge.
Thats where i'm reading right now too. Modern day religion was pursued the way it was for control of the people.

The church has destroyed historical artifacts when the church controlled science

Knowledge is the only way to salvation.
Without it we're doomed,

+ 1

I think you meant Gnosticism and I have to agree as my closet label and one I use is Gnostic Christian naturalist.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mackey1224uk

Same as all religion then = Slavery.

Do things my way or burn forever is God's notion of free will but it sounds quite close to slavery to my ears.
Christians will not agree. They call it voluntary slavery.
God wants free men who will "Do things my way or burn forever", voluntarily.

Regards

DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wrong. The Catholic church was against people reading 'scripture' that was not accepted by the church. That's totally different than saying the Catholic church was against 'the reading of scriptures'. Oh .. btw ... not many people could read back in the day either ..

Wrong? Wrong.

The council of Trent in 1565 stated All the faithful Catholics must agree I shall never accept or interpret scripture otherwise in accordance with the unanimous concept of the fathers. “ the office of interpreting scripture is totally entrusted to the teaching Majesterium of the church. There are only 8 passages Rome claims they can interpret that no one else can.

In a similar manner the Pharisee’s claimed they alone had the right to interpret and enforce scripture, and that is when everything went wrong. Trouble followed when the right to read and study were in the hands of the few, instead of the many. When Jesus rebuked the Pharisee’s it wasn’t because they didn’t understand tradition, but because they didn’t understand the word of God.

For centuries it was a mortal sin to possess and read the Bible in one’s own native tongue. But the Bible read was the Latin Vulgate which virtually no one but trained priests could understand! Pope Innocent the 3rd 1200 A.D. Forbade Bible reading in the common language so people had to learn Latin before they could even pick up the book. The council of Valencia (1229), the Council of Trent (1545) and Pope Clement XI (1713) Issued a papal bull to forbid letting people have the Bible in their own language and reading it for themselves. Likewise Clement the 11th 1720 issued a Papal Bull against Bible reading. Leo the 12th 1821-1829 Condemned all religious freedom, Bible societies, and Bible translations.

Even the Catholic dictionary records this fact “In early times the Bible was read freely by the lay people...New dangers came in during the Middle Ages...To meet those evils, the Council of Toulouse (1229) and Terragona (1234) forbade the laity to read the vernacular translations of the Bible. Pius IV required bishops to refuse lay persons leave to read even Catholic versions of Scripture unless their confessors or parish priests judged that such reading was likely to prove beneficial.” (Catholic Dictionary, p. 82).
www.letusreason.org...
edit on 21-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Oh oh.
You will be bleated at.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Can you trust a book with a seven headed monster?

You might also wonder why God gave dominion over the earth to his top Goat and slave, Satan.

He is supposed to be punished yet is rewarded. Are you sure you would not prefer to be a goat that does not follow a genocidal son murdering God whose morals are more like that of a Satan than a God?

BTW. I see that you have embraced the Christian ethos of using fear as a weapon.
Quite the way to sell your loving God.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

What does bleated mean?

If it means attacked... nothing new.

In any case.... bring the noise

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
Because it suggests a Creator and they cannot accept this. Why does religion have trouble with science? They don't. They have a problem with the man in the relationship refusing to admit he is wrong.

]

I do not agree.

Science and those who follow it over religions will never mind admitting they are wrong when those who believe in fantasy, miracles, magic and a super God prove they are right.

Science also rejects whole heartedly a genocidal son murdering God.

You not only have to prove your God is real but also that it is right for man to follow an alien God who is without morals.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

By your logic, I could easily say all Gnostic Christians are morons because they accept books that are obviously totally fiction.

In the early years, the Catholics hierarchy was against the reading of scriptures.

It took Martin Luther ...

No he didn't do it for the money, he did it for the sex. The guy was a complete perv.
"if the wife is unwilling then take the maid" ... Martin Luther quote.

Eden shows that God did not want Adam and Eve to have knowledge of good and evil.

.... and there we have it. What's with Gnostic Christians and their hate of knowledge??
There was no such thing as Adam and Eve. It's one of many creation myths that abound in the world.
Science has proven the world isn't 6,000 years old, which is how old it would have to be for the
Genesis accounts (pick one .. there are two) to be true.

What do the churches fear with a more intelligent population? Are they afraid that with knowledge, people will stop believing in talking animals and other fantasies, miracles and magic and realize that their faith has no clothes?

Get back to us when you no longer believe in the gnostic 'scriptures' ... no longer believe that an Adam and Eve really existed .. no longer believe in the Noahs Ark fable which was stolen from the Summerian legends ... THEN you can throw stones at others who believe in fantasies and miracles. The gnostic 'scriptures' are full of bunk ... it's a 'faith that has no clothes' to quote back at you.

edit on 1/20/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed word

Not being a literalist reader as you have tried to paint me, and Gnostics, I would say that we are on basically the same page.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeFrippedMeOff

Being a Gnostic Christian, I of course ignore such commands....How much B S are you willing to eat from your Church hierarchy to maintain the delusion that you believe in an invisible miracle working absentee super God?

While I'm not defending Catholicism or Protestantism, aren't you placing yourself in the same category as them when you write of their delusional belief in an invisible absentee? Doesn't Gnosticism ascribe to the belief that God is unknowable and too pure to have anything to do with the material universe and doesn't Gnosticism also deny the incarnation of God as the Son?

What good is knowledge of the world without the truth of God?

What is the truth of God?
Nothing that I ever read and having suffered apotheosis, I know that there is no one truth of God. No proof of course.

Gnostics believe in the God within and apotheosis without a church hierarchy to lead us to God.

All revealed religions tend to say that God is unknowable.
They then proceed to write volumes of what they know of the unknowable.
Hmm. Sounds like someone is lying.

Regards
DL

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join