It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA Being Rethought by the very people who cosponsored it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is very interesting and i hadn't seen it posted yet which surprises me. If it has then feel free to dump mods.

www.nytimes.com...

By Wednesday afternoon, Senator Orrin Hatch, Republican of Utah and one of the Senate bill’s original co-sponsors, called it “simply not ready for prime time” and withdrew his support.

And if this doesn't blatantly display how out of touch our elected politicians are then i don't know what does.

Members of Congress, many of whom are grappling with the issues posed by the explosion in new media and social Web sites, appeared caught off guard by the enmity toward what had been a relatively obscure piece of legislation to many of them.

At least there was enough of a response that it gave them pause.

cs

edit on 18-1-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
As long as they don't try to rip it apart and jam it into another bill as amendments I'm fine. But these people have a bad habit of completely ignoring us and doing it anyway. I'm not holding my breath just yet that this fight is almost over...Come on November!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
from same source:

Support for the legislation on Capitol Hill eroded throughout the day. Another Republican co-sponsor of the Senate bill, Roy Blunt of Missouri, withdrew his support in the early afternoon.

Yay!! This is my senator and I do believe their ears pert up when they get a link like this in their messages:

wikimediafoundation.org...

Thank you, hellzdoms for posting that link and starting the thread:

"Wikipedia will be blacked out.Protesting against SOPA act"

Politicians don't like bad press and even though he blew off my first letter, I'm sure his office noted the Wikipedia protest whether he heard it from me or somebody else.

Way to get the word out! When things go viral people move.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I actually went to look something up on Wiki today and was really happy to see they were blacked out in response to the SOPA bill.

I love to see change when people ban together to create it. I think the response to the SOPA bill was fairly swift. (ATS had a great campaign..I was impressed.) I wish Facebook had done something interesting in retaliation. I wonder why they didn't?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Geee reconsidering huh? Ya think it might have to do with the 4.5 million people signing a pettition on Google, so far, I did and I'm proud, and all the other anti SOPA stuff going on today? s&f for the find.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

It has everything to do with that and every other effort put forth.
I just wish they would run in through the shredder instead of giving it a name change and attempting to secretly ram it through while we are being distracted by some false flag act.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is great news. I was happy to hear it. Apparently, the members of Congress thought that stopping online piracy is a good idea (which I agree with) but they never bothered to read the details or consider the repercussions of what they were supporting...

I think it's great the way people have stepped up and gotten involved! Many sites are having their protests. This one is really pretty good:

The Oatmeal

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It just goes to show how screwed the entire system is. The Congresscritters pass legislation willy-nilly without even READING it, much less understanding any of it. These bungholes don't even know how to send an email. They have assistants do that for them. These people should have a say in how the Internet operates?

Politicians are too dumb to be actually allowed to make even a single tweet on all those fake twitter accounts, there are shills doing it for them who are PhD's in mind manipulation. How does it make sense that we give them our consent to run the show? The Patriot act was rammed through, thousands of pages of tyranny, passed in a day or two. It was physically impossible that ANY of them read the whole thing, or even half of it. BUt it passed unanimously, or nearly so.

I remember when Daddy Bush was on TV at some supermarket back in the 80s and was staring in dumbfounded amazement at the checkout scanner, since he had NEVER SEEN ONE since he had probably never bought groceries for himself ever in his life. They have slaves, I mean servants, I mean sycophants to do everything for them. They have no idea what a normal persons life is like. They produce nothing, perform no service, other than lining their own pockets as whores for their masters.

All votes are passed determined by who pays them. THAT"S IT. No consideration of what is best for the country, or even such insanity as caring what the public actually wants. The spin doctors will take care of that. We are all way too dumb to know what's good for us, that's why we have them to tell us what to do. Sadly, 90 percent of the people like it that way. And really ARE far too stupid to be allowed to have a say in pretty much anything. Unfortunately, that means they are stupid enough to allow obvious and blatant outright criminals take care of it for them.

And THANK them for the butt reaming.
edit on 18-1-2012 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm a little skeptical. This is the third time they've tried to get this thing passed. I think it originally started out as
COICA back in 2010 via Patrick Leahy but he wasn't able to to get it passed. I'm sure they'll keep trying.

Perhaps it's a psyops....trying to make us think their trash is art and by taking it away from us perhaps we'll want it more. I think it's time to Occupy Hollywood or better yet, boycott their garbage altogether.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

“simply not ready for prime time” just sounds to me as if 'they' don't yet think it's the right time, but not that the time won't come.

new topics

top topics

join