It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Launches Online Petition to Stop SOPA & PIPA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Google Launches Online Petition to Stop SOPA & PIPA

www.google.com...

Millions of Americans oppose SOPA and PIPA because these bills would censor the Internet and slow economic growth in the U.S.

Tell Congress: Don’t censor the Web

Fighting online piracy is important. The most effective way to shut down pirate websites is through targeted legislation that cuts off their funding. There’s no need to make American social networks, blogs and search engines censor the Internet or undermine the existing laws that have enabled the Web to thrive, creating millions of U.S. jobs.

Too much is at stake – please vote NO on PIPA and SOPA.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/18/2012 by DarknessMatters because: fixed messed up link

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I didn't see this posted anywhere on ATS, so I thought I would get it out there. If the Search lied to me, I apologize. (If this is posted in the wrong category, please move it).

I think it really says something that a corporation the size of Google, is stepping up to take on Congress over this coming Internet Censorship bill.

I have signed this online petition, in an effort to do my part as an American, to try to let this government know, they're are overstepping our liberties as Americans.

www.google.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

ETA:

Here is a link to a PDF that Google has posted, outlining the efforts to stop SOPA and PIPA. You may need to zoom in 1 or 2 levels to read it.
SOPA/PIPA PDF from Google
edit on 1/18/2012 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Thats because other users test their links.

You need to fix yours or simply paste the entire link into txt.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
They should do what wikipedia is doing and just shut off for a day

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

The link is fixed. When it posted, for some reason, it doubled the text. I did preview it and it looked fine. That wasn't my error and I immediately fixed it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Can you imagine a world without search engines? I can't.

I think it'd be great if they all shut down in protest.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... yeah right, they're probably secretly collecting names of all of the people who disagree with this to hand them over to the gov. so we can all be labeled in someway or another as a terrorist.... I just don't believe in google.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Google pretty much rules the internet, with the search technology that they created and thoroughly advanced. SOPA and PIPA will hit Google extremely hard. I don't see Google "shooting themselves in the foot" by collecting names for the government, in turn, supporting the 2 Bill's, that would essentially "kill" Google.

edit on 1/18/2012 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I'm sure they already know pretty much everything there is to know about anyone who uses their site anyways. An e-petition is hardly a worry. Remember, we're talking about what is most likely the largest private data aggregation and analysis entity on this planet.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I agree.

After the NDAA was passed why put your name out on another list that is in anyway going against the gov?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I was thinking the same thing as gunshooter. I'm sure they already know quite a lot about people but a comma-separated list of name, name, email and zip code might be a nice addition to some infernal database somewhere, possibly. Not all of us have Google acounts.

I imagine the zip code there works much the same as here in the Netherlands? My post code will at least tell you what street I'm living on within say, maybe 20 houses.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Mapkar

I imagine the zip code there works much the same as here in the Netherlands? My post code will at least tell you what street I'm living on within say, maybe 20 houses.

maybe in a city, but in a rural area like where i live it could be 40 or 50 sq miles.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Where I live in Virginia (US), my zip code covers about 100+ square miles, an entire county. So, based on Zip code alone, tracing would be near impossible here.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I didn't really want to start a new thread just to share a link...

Just wanted to get the word out, not only US Citizens can sign a petition against SOPA. There is one addressed to the US State Department that anyone from anywhere can sign: americancensorship.org...

This issue will affect everyone!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Thank you for adding that bit of information to this thread. It is truly a global issue.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
to save spamming ATS il put this here lol

Congress Votes on SOPA on January 24th

americancensorship.org

On Jan. 24th, the Senate is expected to pass a bill for the first ever U.S. internet censorship system. While the Senate is holding town halls and meetings at home, they need to hear why they need to block the vote and kill this bill.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
About time someone done a petition....

bump

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They kill the Internet, there is always the [THIS INFORMATION IS RESTRICTED]........

edit on 18-1-2012 by GakunGak because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2012 by GakunGak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Your thread is about Google participating in the "blackout". This one is about the Petition. That sir (or ma'am, not sure which) is a topical difference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join