It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Fight For Equality When We Aren't Born Equal?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
As Humans, we fight for equality. No one is better than the next person, and so we stand for what is right.

But, what if we are wrong?

Thinking about it... Are we equal? I believe it's true to say no one has more right to life than another. But to say that we are all equal is quite naive, isn't it?

So, what does that say for our society? Have we got it totally wrong? Well I believe so.

Should we start to section people into given parts of a new efficient working society?

People with low I.Q's for instance, or let's just say we have a way of measuring a persons true potential in several fields, not just intelligence but common sense, and more. Nothing worse than a really intelligent person who can't even tie his own shoe. Anyway back to our less intelligent brethren. They could be utilised for the roles that don't need much intelligence or direction. This isn't a bad thing as everyone would have their place in this society. Every role keeps the world moving in the right direction.

Anyway, so on, until everyone has a place in society. From early age individuals will have been screened and tested. We would know their potential in every way, so we could almost farm each individual into their specialty area of society, until they are moved into a specific job. For instance if you're wondering what would happen to the really great mind with no common sense. Well people like this would be almost left to their own devices and given research projects to adhere to.

All I can think of are pro's to this idea, no con's.

If some of our species got annoyed, for some reason, and demanded to be given a chance somewhere else. Even if we allowed them this chance, they literally haven't got the ability to do anything else. They would fail. Even if they succeeded in proving a point, they would be less efficient in any other role. Vis-versa, any one would fail attempting another role that they weren't farmed for.

Imagine a world, where everyone had their place, No one was dispensible, everyone was literally made equal because they felt they did their bit for society.

There would be no military, no need to fight, because this would be implemented worldwide. All working together. Of course we would keep police. There are always going to be rebellious types, and once dealt with.. problem solved.

So, just think about it. Everyone reaches their lifes potential, as they are pushed to the extremes of their boundaries. Everyone knows their place and know they are special in their own ways, and reasons.

The world would advance at a much more significant rate. Imagine the possibilities.

So, don't you think as an individual you deserve to reach to your highest potential?

Just ask yourself, do you really believe in equality? Because it's probably holding you back...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Very nice thoughts, as I believe this is a essential question for mankind to answer.

In the next 30 years most of the working force becomes obsolete because they will be replace by technology. Most humans around me have no clue and believe it will shape "naturally" into a new model.

Well be prepared to have digi-illiterates and digital people and the illiterates will fall behind and become a second class. In a greater sense than the working class is today and was in the early 18th century.. They are simply no longer needed.

Your questions do not have answers to them as many will simply not be capable of delivering any thing. Either mankind accepts they will be paying for the lively hood of others because they cannot function in society.Some people simply do not want to work, others truly cannot because of many different reasons.

It's far cheaper to "pay them off" than to as you indicated already be less efficient on a different place.

It will be the greatest task of mankind to understand civilization as it naturally is and decide whether they will be "humane" or let them whither and perish.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

What if you are the one born with a "Low I.Q" (thats if we can ever correctly quantify intelligence) and are assigned a job you never wanted? We are all equal because we all have consciousness and are all capable of feeling love and pain. So what you are saying is if I am unlucky enough to get some bad hardware (aka genes) then people with better hardware deserve better or "more important" jobs?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jassu

But did I specify what was a more important job?

In that society, every job would be equal in society.

Also if you are brought up as a child for your role in society and a specific job, yes it will be your so called hardware that enables that decision. But that will be the best position for that specific individual, where they will achieve to their best potential.

If you wanted to change job, you wouldn't be as efficient, and end up hating it even more.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You are correct that no-one is truly equal. We are born with varying physical and mental characteristics.

However we are all equally human, and in our free society it is decided that humans have an equal right to life, as well as the equal right to choose how to live our lives. Whatever obstacles stand in our way, whether they be social constructs or the limitations of our physical form, we have the equal right to attempt to overcome them.

What you are proposing is that we remove the right to choose from the individual and hand it over to humans who supposedly know better. I know of no humans without bias or flaw, with wisdom enough to decide the irrevocable purpose of every human born, that we could trust with this kind of power.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Are we equal? I believe it's true to say no one has more right to life than another. But to say that we are all equal is quite naive, isn't it?

Are we not all born the same, naked and helpless?

Should we start to section people into given parts of a new efficient working society?

It's been happening for centuries already. They are called cities and in some parts of those cities it might be wise not to walk alone at night...

People with low I.Q's for instance...

Stop right there buddy. It's a long dark road which others have tried to lead us down before. It is the road to madness, or rather fascism. I won't say what we have now is any better but judging people by their IQ? That sounds just nasty.

I can't waste any more time or mental effort or this, no offence intended.

The poster above me makes a good point also and helped me with a missing dot.

I believe you are one small step away from eugenics.

edit on 17/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Fixed quotes

edit on 17/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I really do see your point but how do you know I would hate the Job? What if its something I was truly passionate about but mediocre at in skill? I don't get the job I want?
edit on 17-1-2012 by Jassu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
No test exists for drive; persistence and dogged determination! Even It waxes and wanes through out a persons career.

We are naturally sorted by this now. without outside "supervision"or organization.

People who do well in this society work harder at it than others.

If you were artificially "pidgeon holed" into a "low IQ slot" what incentive is there to excellorever attempto escape it ?????????????
edit on 17-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

Would humans decide? Or would the tests and machines provide the answers?

Humans would just have the final say.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think we need to define equal.

I get the impression you are thinking of equal as mental and physical ability.

I on the other hand feel equal as in human rights, we are all born on the planet and have a right to live in a fair enviroment in society. Just because someone has a low I.Q or even a disability it does not make any of us more deserving than them.

I also find your farming idea very disturbing I must say, OP what kind of role do you feel you would suit in this scenario?
edit on 17-1-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

You probably already have...but I would suggest you read "Animal Farm."

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jassu

Would you want a job, you didn't even know existed?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

If you're assigned a low IQ job. Given the system, wouldn't you deserve it?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
reply to post by 46ACE

If you're assigned a low IQ job. Given the system, wouldn't you deserve it?

I have been in charge of people who "On paper" were smarter than me, just because they had a degree. But all to often, they were in charge.

In reality though, they were "book smart" and often they were dumber than a box of rocks with even less common sense.

I believe that I am smarter than many here on ATS, but also realize that there are many who are smarter than me.

But I can learn from ALL of them. Even if we disagree from time to time.
edit on 17-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

No, they wouldn't be less deserving.

That's why I say give them a job that let's them truely reach their potential. That way they will feel just ad everyone else in that society does, which is fulfil their potential as a human being.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In the liberal democratic system, true equality has already been achieved. In the US for example, the voting choice of a Political Science Professor can be cancelled out by the vote of a hairdresser.

See, that's how we keep our best people from taking over, and steering society in "their" direction.

The story is told of Peisistratos, the Greek dictator, when asked by a philosopher, whether he feared a revolt, took the philosopher out to a wheat field. As they walked together through the plants, the king took out his sword and used it as a scythe, but only lopping off any ear of wheat that protruded above the rest.

Every government stays in power the same way; by restraining the best and brightest, in order to keep them from toppling the current regime.

If it were not for the philosophical fiction of democracy, people would naturally choose the state of affairs outlined in Plato's Republic, where philosopher-king pilot the state in the direction of lifting everyone up to a higher level. The personality-type of rulers everywhere is the fear that word will get out that they are actually not qualified to govern, and that they will be overthrown. The rulers prevent this by cutting down anyone who sticks up above the crowd, like ears of wheat beneath peisistratos' blade.

It happens every time.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Exactly, which I state in the thread.

Some smart people can have the greatest mind, but might be unable to tie a shoe lace.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Alright, lets imagine that a series of tests is devised to determine the extent of one's abilities, and the outcome of the tests determines a range of jobs for which the subject is physically and mentally ideal. Then a psychological test is performed to determine which job in this range would be ideal for the individual, in terms of how well they will enjoy the work and therefore how efficiently they will perform. The results of the tests are compiled and weighted by a computer program, then presented to what we could call the "assignment administrator", who would then review the results and give the 'OK'. The subject is then assigned to their position for the rest of their life.

Now consider these two scenarios:

1) The subject did not perform to his fullest potential in the tests, thus the tests are in error. The subject is assigned to a job below his ability, is unsatisfied with his line of work and thus performs poorly. This could easily be a common occurence, resulting in a significant loss of productivity.

2) The subject shows high degrees of intelligence and decision making skills, as well as a strong ability to read people. Therefore his test results indicate that he should be an assignment administrator. The assignment administrator reviewing his results notices that the subject's overall aptitude is superior to his own. Out of pride the administrator rejects the results and assigns the subject to a different job below his ability.

How would you correct these problems?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I have been told that I am a natural born pilot. "Seat of pants" type flying that is.

But have never held a job as a pilot.

The measurements you propose would never be agreed upon. There would be to much backlash, and it would be justified.

Also, how would the rebelious ones be "resolved?"

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

What stops them from fulfilling their potential now? People with low I.Q can not only work in a basic job but they can also put in more work to get more out of it, someone who worked harder deserves more than someone handed everything because of a number. Handing out some stats saying ok this is your potential, go do this and forget about the rest as you are not capable is not an intelligent thing to do. Who is to say I.Q. is above wisdom or Athleticism is above will. Much advancement in today’s world did not come from geniuses, just people with passions, determination and other aspects that would simply be ignored.

Many serial killers are highly intelligent, are they above you or I?
edit on 17-1-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join