It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

94% Probability 1 km Asteroid to Hit South Pole in 2012 and Cause Ice Shelf Collapse?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I love the smell of doom in the morning.
New ATS doom, gotta love it.
Where's phage?

Yeah, and I never knew doom smelled like a skunk, till now.

As for Phage, he's got better things to do than to debunk this...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Also does anyone remember the big X on the Google earth that someone showed before Elenin passed? Wasn't that about where it was at?

two completely different locations..

This is where it is supposed to hit.. in Antartica..

edit on 13/1/12 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
Is there a specific date associated with the impact other than sometime in 2012?

Update: Ok, I found fall 2012 now from the original article, getting closer to an exact date.
edit on 13-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

From what I have read...sometime in the Fall of 2012.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Doom is fun, er. . . until it happens.

Then it sucks.

But until then, it's fun.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The source you speak of is one where many contribute, some truth, some imagination, and sometimes I wonder, paid disinformation proponents. Besides, If it does happen, we have the likes of Pelosi, Holder, Obama and company that will save us, oh, I forgot Soros too!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ice collapse have already begun :

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-1-2012 by maritimo69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I guess the best thing we can do is find the exact date (we have sometime in the fall of 2012 from the original article from the OP) and the name of the asteroid in question. With the name we can find out a lot more and even track it. Elebu or Nibinin

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by EmperorXyn

Really? Do post a link to the site where you found the asteroid-collision-aversion-defense system details. And no, I didn't bring that idea on myself. I figured that would be your best idea.

"Shoot down de wock fwom de sky, Daddy!"

A little reasearch can go a long way

Asteroid-impact avoidance

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There's only one problem with this story...

The name of the professor who supposedly wrote the original paper isn't named, nor is there any name for this mystery asteroid either.

So how the hell can anyone research and investigate any validity to this ?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
An article I found relating to this...

Several sites have tried to persuade readers that this is a hoax. It is not. The academic departments referenced in the story have deep ties to the Military/Industrial complex and have issued denials about any observed near earth object possibly striking earth. However they will not explain the specifics of their research in Antarctica. Only recently did they admit to using an military underwater robot and hot water drill that drills through 1km of ice per day. It is the vehemence of the denials and lack of transparency that is becoming very suspicious.

If you caught Starfire Tor on CoastToCoastAM last week you may have heard her mention that ‘they’, the PowersThatBe know that an incoming near earth object is going hit earth sometime in the next 2 years. There is evidence to suggest the object is going to strike one of the poles… most likely the south pole. Special Scientific teams have been down in Antarctica mapping the ice shelf for probable weak points. The object is rumored to be 800 meters wide and when it hits the south pole the entire ice shelf will collapse within months.

The PowerThatBe and the super rich are making preparations. They have seed vaults and underground bunkers prepared. This is the reason they do not care about the world’s environment or the financial system. It won’t matter. A billion will die. The oceans will rise 70 meters. Mankind will lose half the food supply. You have 1 year to prepare. The Mayans, the Sumerians, the Babylonian civilization, native Americans and countless other cultures have foretold this event. The earth is going to get hit by a small object that is in tow of a much larger object. The larger object revisits the earth on a predictable cycle. It will flip the earth upside down. Americans Military forces now control all of the high mountain ranges and have been building bunkers for years, this is the reason for staying in Afghanistan. Only the super rich elite will be invited escape the apocalypse. 90% of the death and destruction will come from the panic and wars after the event. Trillions of Dollars have been sucked out of the economy to build news space shuttles and space projects. Most of the UFO sightings are these black-project vehicles.

scarletwhore.com...

Sounds like a fear mongering site to me

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
For American's that are not on the metric system 70 meters is roughly 229 feet, so if this is true anything 229 feet above sea level will be inundated with flood water. New York - Holland - Louisiana major cities at or below sea level

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just a note on doom and doom prophecy. . . . .

The first actual doom post was in 1845 by Count de Spankypants in the magazine Les Dewm.

He (the Count) stated that a 5mm asteroid was going to crash into his soup bowl collection. He stated that wearing live waterfowl on your head would protect you* and encouraged others to do the same. Sadly, his life was ended when an irate goose tore his jugular one afternoon in May of '46.**

*They didn't have tinfoil back then.

**His great-great-great grandnephew Phil Spankypants followed in the same irrational vein by opening the first and only McPhlegm Sandwich Shoppe franchise. Surprisingly, it actually stayed open for two years.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm very skeptical, but just for fun I looked up a global warming interactive that shows sea level rise. This interactive flood map only goes up to 60 meters, but it gives a good idea of areas that would be wiped out should an asteriod cause the ice shelf to break apart.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
can't wait till 2012 is over...wonder what the next doomsday year will be...come on guy/girls ..the asteroid predictions are just getting silly now ..i'll bet my last dollar ,we will all be here next year reading these posts.. I've got more chance wining the lotto every week for the next 6 months than a killer asteroid hitting any where on the planet,never mind the ice caps..

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Awesome map! That is very interesting to see what areas would be covered with water, 70 meters and my house turns into a beach house, score! j/k

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

In Scientific American Today, a peer reviewed document was posted in June 2011 titled "Bigfoot says Bigfoot exists." The posting and any reference to the document disappeared within a week of publishing from the internet!

This is the problem here, there is no professors name, it simply reads "a professor." The UBC site is not cataloged on the WayBackMachine for the years of 2008, 2009 or 2010 which seems a little suspicious because I was on the UBC archived pages for 2010 about a year ago gathering information for a subject I was researching.

If a big @ss asteroid is going to hit Antarctica it will not increase the sea level by 70 meters or 225 feet, that is simply preposterous. There would be a tsunami, but if the asteroid hit towards the center of the land mass, the tsunami would be limited in size due to the energy absorption characteristics of the ice shelf itself. It could cause serious damage but nothing like what the fear mongering sites that carry this story profess.

This crap I am reading about flipping the planet, these posters on the other sites need to get serious! When was the last time anyone was flipped onto their head by an ant? The idea is just silly.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/13.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: spelling

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here's a video on it, take it with a grain of salt as we all have seen and gone past many predictions of doom

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by EmperorXyn

How exactly would they do that? Shoot it, and have pieces raining everywhere? Brilliant suggestion!

It raises a really fascinating scenario...

What if quarter-mile asteroid was confirmed to strike.. oh, say, in India in 72 hours or so. The options are to:
1. Stick your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye...
or
2. Blow it to pieces so the misery is shared all around the world by all peoples and nations

I can see the propaganda machines at work now, talking about how it is unfair that the brunt of this asteroid should be borne up by a single nation. The UN then votes and narrowly passes a resolution to... do nothing except help India prepare for the worst.

Rioting spreads across central Asia while protesters take to the streets in support of global sharing of the death rock. The MSM spreads the flames by insinuating that a major world power may have already diverted the course of the asteroid to miss them and land in India!

All hell breaks loose!

But then... the rock misses us and we all feel a little stupid too late as martial law has already been declared.

Wow. Think I'll write this one up for the Short Story board, lol.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here's an article debunking it....

2010-09-10 UBC Astronomy Linked to web hoax
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE LATEST WEB HOAX

An unusual - and totally ridiculous - conspiracy theory has emerged on the Web connecting UBC Physics & Astronomy, the Antarctic ice shelf, and the threat of a devastating asteroid impact.
Quoting the version of this cosmic urban myth which started circulating yesterday: "University of British Columbia Professor published an on-line article that projected an 800m asteroid would hit Antarctica in the fall of 2012. His article was on the www.phas.ubc.ca website for 2 days before it abruptly disappeared. The initial data was gathered by The Balloon-borne Large-Aperture Sub millimeter Telescope (BLAST) at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. The theorized asteroid was then tracked by Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope on Mauna Kea, which (with the Adaptive Optics Bonnette) supplies probably the sharpest images currently obtainable from the ground."

The ONLY true parts of this statement are: (1) there is indeed a balloon-borne instrument called BLAST in which UBC is a key partner, and it does collect data over Antarctica; and (2) the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope and its adaptive optics system do obtain superbly sharp astronomical images.

The rest is ridiculous. BLAST cannot detect asteroids. And no one could extrapolate the orbital path of a newly discovered asteroid to predict two years in advance that it would strike Antarctica (vs. other spots on Earth). No such article ever appeared on the UBC Physics & Astronomy web site.

This is a story on a par with the annual "Mars as big as the Full Moon" hoax that makes the rounds on the web, except that in this case, it can cause people undue alarm. The only reaction to this story should be amusement, followed by anger that some people are willing to prey on public fears and their interest in astronomy.

Dr. Jaymie Matthews

projectavalon.net...

He makes a good case for this being a Hoax!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join