It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

94% Probability 1 km Asteroid to Hit South Pole in 2012 and Cause Ice Shelf Collapse?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I hesitate to post this because of the source, but it is an interesting, mysterious story. It's a video at GLP:

video.godlikeproductions.com...

Also, article here:

University of British Columbia Professor published an on-line article that projected an 800m asteroid would hit Antarctica in the fall of 2012.

His article was on the www.phas.ubc.ca website for 2 days before it abruptly disappeared. The initial data was gathered by The Balloon-borne Large-Aperture Sub millimeter Telescope (BLAST) at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. The theorized asteroid was then tracked by Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope on Mauna Kea, which (with the Adaptive Optics Bonnette) supplies probably the sharpest images currently obtainable from the ground.

reinep.wordpress.com...
(Thanks bluemooone2!)

Ice shelf collapse would raise the oceans by 70 meters?
Holy crap!

edit on Fri Jan 13th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The fact that the report vanished implies two possible things.

One, it was a load of bull.

Two, we really are screwed.

.......I'm having a hard time choosing.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here is some more info on this .
I am pretty skeptical , but here it is.
reinep.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

The article hypothesized a 94% probability that the asteroid would impact on the Filchner-Ronne ice shelf and cause 2/3 of ice on Antarctica to crumble into sea. The article surmised the total collapse of all Antarctic ice within 2-4 months after impact. “A deep enough impact would crack the ice shelf like a window and total structural collapse would be inevitable, a few months at the outside.” If the ice on Antarctica was added the the world’s ocean it would raise them by 70 meters.

Right.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
The fact that the report vanished implies two possible things.

One, it was a load of bull.

Two, we really are screwed.

.......I'm having a hard time choosing.
It probably was a load of crap.....

And, we are still screwed anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well article is from 2010... And i'm pretty sure they would altar its course before it got near earth... More propaganda.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

havent watched it yet.. but ill say they are usually not in a hurry to rid the internet of informational errors.. its only when u get close to the truth that videos and sites come up missing..... Actually been happening alot recently.. i dont think they need sopa .. theyve been on this bunk shyt for years..

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Finally we have a new doomsday date... It was getting a bit boring around here...

Personally im skeptical but i'll be watching how this progresses..

nice find..

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EmperorXyn

How exactly would they do that? Shoot it, and have pieces raining everywhere? Brilliant suggestion!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well that would make everything fit. the fact that NASA sent a warning of preparation to their own people and asked them to have their families safe and prepared so that THEY COULD CONTINUE their work, that made it seem it is something to do with space the threat and they will need people studying the effects and tracking up to the last moment.
. The .Gov warning s that started for all to have food and water and the buying up of food they began in 1998 I believe it was first reported buy up of 30 years supplies.

Also does anyone remember the big X on the Google earth that someone showed before Elenin passed? Wasn't that about where it was at?
Here it is guess it was the Bering Sea
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-1-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I believe this is an important link for this thread, off to read it myself right now. Looks interesting, and remember this was back in 08, so yes I would guess he and his group were/are onto something significant:

www.space-explorers.org...

Here is a little tidbit:

Executive Summary Earth's geological and biological history is punctuated by evidence of repeated and devastating impacts from space. Sixty-five million years ago, an asteroid impact caused the extinction of the dinosaurs along with some 70% of Earth's living species. A more typical recent impact was the 1908 Tunguska Event, a 3-5 megaton explosion which destroyed 2,000 square kilometers of Siberian forest. A future asteroid collision could have disastrous effects on our interconnected human society. The blast, fires, and atmospheric dust produced could cause the collapse of regional agriculture, leading to widespread famine. Ocean impacts like the Eltanin event (2.5 million years ago) produce tsunamis which devastate continental coastlines. Asteroid 99942 Apophis, which has a 1-in-45,000 chance of striking Earth in 2036, would generate a 500-megaton (MT) blast and inflict enormous damage. Devastating impacts are clearly infrequent events compared to a human lifetime: Tunguska, thought to be caused by the impact of a 45-meter-wide asteroid, is an event that occurs on average two or three times every thousand years. However, when Near Earth Object (NEO) impacts occur they can cause terrible destruction, dwarfing that caused by more familiar natural disasters. Advances in observing technology will lead to the detection of over 500,000 NEOs over the next 15 years. Of those several dozen will pose an uncomfortably high risk of striking Earth and inflicting local or regional devastation. The Need for a Global Response Faced with such a threat, we are far from helpless. Astronomers today can detect a high proportion of Near Earth Objects and predict potential collisions with the Earth. Evacuation and mitigation plans can be prepared to cope with an unavoidable impact. For the first time in our planet's 4.5-billion-year history, the technical capacities exist to prevent such cosmic collisions with Earth. The keys to a successful outcome in all cases are preparation, planning, and timely decision-making.

edit on 13-1-2012 by antar because: link

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

How exactly would they do that? Shoot it, and have pieces raining everywhere? Brilliant suggestion!

You're the only one suggesting that, but way to look like an ass

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Is there a specific date associated with the impact other than sometime in 2012?

Update: Ok, I found fall 2012 now from the original article, getting closer to an exact date.
edit on 13-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Didn't imply that, your the one that brought on this "Brilliant Suggestion" onto yourself. And yes your indeed wrong. I'm sure they would figure something out, they would of had like years of advance in notice already. Maybe, maybe not. But I think our government is alot smarter than we know. I think they could handle something like that. Or they could possibly fail at trying to stop it. That would be possible too I guess. But yeah, who knows maybe the Mayan's as much as they looked and studied the stars knew this Asteroid would be the year it was going to hit. Probably not but interesting stuff indeed.
edit on 13-1-2012 by EmperorXyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yep i was hoping people would get it together and dream up a new one.

I crave the brain filler even if its GLP lol.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Really? Do post a link to the site where you found the asteroid-collision-aversion-defense system details. And no, I didn't bring that idea on myself. I figured that would be your best idea.

"Shoot down de wock fwom de sky, Daddy!"

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I love the smell of doom in the morning.
New ATS doom, gotta love it.
Where's phage?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Really? Do post a link to the site where you found the asteroid-collision-aversion-defense system details. And no, I didn't bring that idea on myself. I figured that would be your best idea.

"Shoot down de wock fwom de sky, Daddy!"

There are a lot of stuff the public doesn't have access to. They could of made it in Area 41 or something when they found out of the incoming asteroid. They most likely wouldn't release it to the public it would cause panic as they would think one may actually be coming.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hmmm, this is certainly an interesting development.... Doom on once again. There is a bad video on youtube if interested.

edit on 13-1-2012 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Also does anyone remember the big X on the Google earth that someone showed before Elenin passed? Wasn't that about where it was at?

The red X in google earth is nothing more than an outdated kmz file.
You can add overlay's (custom satellite pictures) of improved terrain for example. The red X appears when you add a kmz file which reference's a corrupt or missing satellite photo. It's a user error.

I remember that craze about predictions of elenin or "planet x" hitting the X on google earth... but it's simply a missing or broken image file.

Nothing secret about it, just some people tend to make a 'planet x' moment for everything

For example: read these;

groups.google.com...#!category-topic/earth/pc/Ymkeb3hxUds
groups.google.com...#!topic/earth/OGxZpL4-apE

..had to put links in here (formatting went funny) you will have to copy/paste
edit on 13/1/2012 by InsideYourMind because: fixed urls

Wow i give up, these links are still messing up....

edit on 13/1/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join