It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama seeks power to merge agencies...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Obama seeks power to merge agencies...

www.goerie.com

President Barack Obama will ask Congress on Friday for greater power to shrink the federal government, and his first idea is merging six sprawling trade and commerce agencies whose overlapping programs can be baffling to businesses, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

Obama will call on Congress to give him a type of reorganizational power last held by a president when Ronald Reagan was in office.

The administration official presented Obama as the CEO of an operation...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Should he prevail, Obama's first project would be to combine six major operations of the government that focus on business and trade.

They are: the Commerce Department's core business and trade functions; the Small Business Administration; the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative; the Export-Import Bank; the Overseas Private Investment Corporation; and the Trade and Development Agency.

---

While the story is focusing on the merging of business agencies... What scares me is the powers this would give him over future decisions...

A few more years and we are going to look like the an English speaking Russia...

www.goerie.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I'm Twisted: I'm all for smaller govt.However;Its uncharacteristic of a "democrat"to reduce the size of govt.I need to look to see what the "left" hand is doing behind his back.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
doubt it would save much given its only going to reduce the head count by 1-2000 jobs and they'll probably all the lowest paid ones so probably it'll make no actual change day to day but looks good when theres elections soon

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

He most likely wants to roll them into actual useful agencies just in case Dr.Paul gets into office.
It may make it harder to cut the fat.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Imagine 6 small agencies getting "X" dollars per annum for their budget with "Y" people staffing the agencies.

Now, under Obama, you'll have one agency getting 6X budget, to staff 6Y people.

It's just a shell game, in my humble opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
You had me at "Obama seeks power". His administration has done nothing else. He is an abomination on a Nation of sleeping sheep. Sorry. Oh I'm sure he wants to do a lot of things.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
So, Ron Paul seeks power to get rid of 5 agencies and it's time to party and vote for Ron Paul!

But Obama wants to combine 6 agencies, cutting 2000 jobs and saving $3 billion, and it's a bunch of crap, met with a bunch of negativity...

I think this is a good move by Obama and I will nearly always support less government, no matter who initiates it.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I believe that this is a power consolidation designed to make it harder for `outsiders` to infiltrate the government. The arena is changing quickly and TPTB need to do all they can to secure its` continuity. IMHO we are seeing a political and military information revolution happen side by side. Efficiency is the key focus.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Actually the Obama Administration has been streamlining and combining a lot of agencies, funding and grants. Not only does it save money, it also makes it easier for agencies that have to meet requirements for these grants, to only have to apply and meet criteria for one grant then two at different times. It is starting to save a lot of man hours that can be felt all the way down to the local level.

For those who simply see it as two agencies occupying the same space, it saves money when you only have one space. It saves money not having to shuffle paperwork between agencies if they are all right there.

For my state government, just to close the state buildings for one day, saves about 4 million dollars, which is why the furloughs have gotten so popular.

Its about damn time.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, Ron Paul seeks power to get rid of 5 agencies and it's time to party and vote for Ron Paul!

But Obama wants to combine 6 agencies, cutting 2000 jobs and saving $3 billion, and it's a bunch of crap, met with a bunch of negativity...

I think this is a good move by Obama and I will nearly always support less government, no matter who initiates it.

This is not about the agencies.

It's about him trying to enact powers that were stripped from the president in the Reagan era.

For a reason...
edit on 13-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Boy Olbumer is really pulling at straws trying to hang on to washington, he should have been thinking about all that from the moment he walked into the white house, instead of covering his tracks, bailing out insurance company's ,car company's, banks, killing more of our children, fleecing us for trillions and stealing away more of our freedom

What a narcissist, sorry olbumer but the people have spoken

RON PAUL

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Food for thought. . . .

If he's given this authority, what else could he do with it?

(cue dramatic music)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
I'm Twisted: I'm all for smaller govt.However;Its uncharacteristic of a "democrat"to reduce the size of govt.I need to look to see what the "left" hand is doing behind his back.

He's not "reducing" the size of Government, likely no jobs would be lost. What he's essentially doing is saying ok all of this is now under this name. All forms come from one place, all questions answered in one place. But all the departments still do their job, still cover the same areas .. the "redundancy" of paperwork is eliminated.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Consolidating agencies in the government saves lots of paperwork. Think about inter-agency mailings between separated departments. If they were all in one building-that saves lots of paper, ink, stamps, envelopes. It also saves time in getting things between point a to point b.

IMHO, if the president had started these kinds of ideas in 2008, he would have a much greater chance at being re-elected. At this point he is trying to save a little face and make himself look good so he can at least have a chance.

Ron Paul is the first one (for his whole career) that I ever heard say that he wanted to shrink the size of the government. Obviously, that idea rings true with the American people.

Perhaps the Obama administration is finally starting to pay attention to some of the things that the American people really do want. He sure could have done it sooner.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Imagine 6 small agencies getting "X" dollars per annum for their budget with "Y" people staffing the agencies.

So just what would you do? There is absolutely nothing that this administration would do that you would agree with so just what would you do. Lower taxes and smaller govenment, are slogans -- what would you do?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Isn't it funny how republicans base their entire party platform on smaller, less intrusive government and the moment that the President attempts to initiate a move that could accommodate some of those principles, "It's just a shell game."

So what, it's only good if Ron Paul does it?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
its just a shell game. remember how homeland security swallowed immigration , custuims , coast guard and border patrol, now they think they got some magical authority to block websites why. cybercrimes has always rested its power in justice department not ice

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Whether this makes the agency(ies) smaller is largely irrelevant (although a nice added bonus).

If it streamlines business and improves economic flow, it will pay for itself in spades.

President Obama.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

DAMN RIGHT
Because hes completely sincere, whereas Obama is a narcissistic lying halfwhit

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join